CHAPTER 1: SYMPTOMS

Don't Look At Me Like That (쳐다보지마)

 

"Hyung, are you alright?" Kibum asked looking at Jinki's approaching figure. The older boy was limping to their table -- well, more like hopping on one foot. His usually wide-smiling face was replaced with a face with pain clearly visible. 
"Well, I tripped since I'm quite clumsy", he began, "But I figured my foot will be alright but it still hurts." 
"Come sit down", Jonghyun offered, creating a seat for the elder. 
Minho was silent the whole time, holding a deep frown on his face. He was one of the easy-to-read people in their little group. 
Kibum rolled his eyes at Minho's pathetic display of worry, "Minho, it's not going to get better if you glare at his foot."
"Jinki, take off your shoes and socks", Minho ordered. 
The elder didn't protest as his foot was in great pain. The three boys gasped as they noticed the elder's swollen ankle. 
"Oh my God!" Jonghyun exclaimed, "It's broken! What are we gonna do?"
Kibum rolled his eyes at his boyfriend's overreaction, "Shut up yeobo", he swatted the boy's head. 
Minho slowly moved Jinki's foot, "Okay, tell me if this hurts---"
"OWW! Don't do that!!" Jinki exclaimed pushing his boyfriend's hands away from his aching foot. 
"We need to get hyung to a hospital!" Kibum said worriedly. 
"But we have class", Jinki protested. 
"It's fine. Me and Jonghyun will inform the office and get your work. Hurry and take Jinki hyung's car", Kibum ordered. 
Thankfully, the two boys learned that Jinki's foot was not broken, but it was sprained so he had to get it bandanged and he was given a pair of crutches. 
"Why do you need crutches for?" Minho grumbled but Jinki heard him. 
"To walk?" he answered confused.
"I can help you just fine. I can do a better job of that than two pieces of sticks", Minho replied. Jinki refrained from laughing out loud to avoid hurting Minho's feelings. Minho's way of thinking was very unique...
On the way back, Jinki said, "Minho, I'm sorry for making you miss class". 
"It's fine hyung. Besides, my step-mom wouldn't get mad at me if I killed someone", Minho replied rolling his eyes. He and Kibum were step brothers but were extremely close. Previously, Minho and Kibum were indifferent but Kibum became extremely close to his father. So when he passed away from a heart disease, Kibum was affected the most as he spent weeks crying to sleep. Minho learned the Kibum wasn't the strong person he displayed himself to be and became closer to his brother. On the other hand, their mother despised Kibum and absolutely adored Minho. It made Minho angry how she treated Kibum so terribly and was barely home as she was a lawyer. Slowly, Minho and Key had grown closer and began trusted one another greatly. Now they were practically best friends. 
Jinki chuckled, "My mother is going to throw a fit once she sees me with a bandage. Don't be surprised if I'm not at school on Monday". 
Minho pouted, "But hyung! You can't leave me with Kibum and Jonghyun face!" 
Jinki chuckled as they pulled up in the driveway. The door was unlocked as the two boys entered. 
"Aish! Kibum is gonna get us robbed one day", Minho grumbled as he kicked off his shoes quickly to help Jinki with his. But as the two boys entered the living room, they were greeted with a shock.
Jinki's face turned to a light shade of pink. Minho stared with shock before he quickly covered his boyfriend's eyes. But it was too late; Jinki had already gotten an eyefull of what was before them. 
Jonghyun and Kibum were on the couch, engaged in a deep make-out session. Maybe, it wouldn't have been as bad if Jonghyun wasn't on top of Kibum with a hand up his shirt. It seemed like things would easily escalate. 
"AHEM", Minho loudly interrupted, causing the two boys to break apart quickly. 
"You're home," Jonghyun said nervously. 
Minho turned to his brother, "Kibum! You're under-age! Must you guys face every time you're alone? Me and Jinki aren't like that!"
His brother rolled his eyes, "Thanks because you're too old-fashioned and Jinki hyung is too kind to say anything". 
"Hey! Why are you bringing me into this?" Jinki whined. 
"Hyung! Am I old-fashioned?" Minho demanded.
"No, you're perfect", Jinki said, clearly satisfying Minho who now had a goofy grin. 
"Not to mention sappy", Kibum cringed. 
"Anyways, how's your ankle hyung?" Jonghyun asked. 
"It's just a sprain", Jinki said. 
"Aigoo! How will you and Taemin manage? That boy with set your condo on fire!" Kibum fussed, "Why don't you just stay with us! Let's have a sleepover!" 
Minho decided not to be a party-pooper this time since it was a Friday. 
"You don't have to Kibum. I'm sure we'll manage", Jinki said humbly. 
"That's a great idea!" Jonghyun said, ignoring the elder. 
"Perfect! It's settled!" Kibum said happily, "Me and Jjong are gonna go pick up Taeminnie from school! Bye!"
After the door closed shut, Minho collapsed on the couch next to Jinki. "I think I'm scarred for life", he whined. 
"I'm sure you've seen worse PDA", Jinki reasoned. 
"Yeah, but that was my brother! And I still don't trust Jonghyun. He looks like a player and they've escalated so much when it's only been two months since they started dating", Minho said. 
"I'm sure you're being paranoid Minho. You think too much, just rest. Besides, I'm sure Kibum won't make out with innocent Taemin around", Jinki said gently as he opened the TV.
"Ugh! Hyung, your cousin is sneeky, he's not innocent at all. He knows more than he lets on. I can't beleive Kibum is so blind!" Minho exclaimed. 
"I know, I guess he likes being spoiled by Kibum", Jinki said as his eyes fixed on the TV and Minho rested his head on his boyfriend's lap. 
As he watched a cooking show, his hands unconciously petted Minho's dark hair. The taller boy smiled as he shut his eyes in bliss. 
But it didn't last long as Kibum, Jonghyun, and Taemin entered. 
"HYUNG! We are staying for a sleepover!" Taemin hollered. 
Jinki sighed, "Yes, I know". 
"Oh yeah, I heard about your ankle! I hope you feel better", Taemin added. 
Jinki chuckled, "You seem too happy about the situation to be concerned but thanks". 
After dinner, the boys decided to watch a horror movie in the basement. 
Naturally, Kibum was whining, "Why do we have to watch horror? It's not fair". 
"It's because our country is democratic and thus, we go by majority and so, it's fair. It was four against five, Kibum. You wanted to watch Notebook", Jonghyun replied. 
"Whatever, I'm gonna make some popcorn", Kibum said as the movie began. 
It was amusing as Kibum kept releasing his high-pitch scream everytime a pop-up appeared on the screen. But by the time the movie ended, Jinki and Kibum were asleep. 
Minho turned the TV off and picked up Jinki, "Time to sleep".
"Already?" Taemin whined, yawning. 
"Come with me Taemin", Minho instructed, "Jonghyun, take Kibum to his room. He'll catch a cold down here". Jonghyun followed Minho and they said goodnight. Minho's room had an extra single bed because Kibum used to be afraid of thunder storms and would sneek into Minho's bed. The bed never came in use until now. Tamein snuggled in and quickly fell asleep. Minho layed next to Jinki and also fell asleep. Meanwhile, Kibum was a light sleeper and his feline eyes fluttered open when Jonghyun placed him onto the bed. 
"Where are we hyung?" he mumbled.
Kibum never called Jonghyun 'hyung' but he seemed to be sleepy. 
"In your room. Go to sleep Bummie", Jonghyun replied taking off his shirt to reveal his built tan muscles. 
"It's so cold. How can you take your shirt off?" Kibum mumbled as he snuggled against the covers. 
Jonghyun shrugged before joining his boyfriend, "Clothes bother me". 
But he was a bit shocked as his body came in contact with his chilly skin, "Why are you so cold Kibum?" 
"Dunno, it's been chilly these past days, especially nights", Kibum said, snuggling and falling asleep. Jonghyun frowned, it was actually pretty warm these days and he had a hunch but decided he was thinking too much. 
The following week went smoothly as the boys conintued on with their daily activities and Jinki's ankle was getting better quickly, to Minho's releif.
But on Thursday, as Jonghyun was at home, he got a call from Taemin. That was weird because Taemin never really called him before. Minho and Jinki had their afterschool activities and Jonghyun wanted to go over, but Kibum told him not to because he was getting Taemin ready for his date with Naeun, the pretty girl in his geography class.
"Hello?"
"Hyung! You need to come over; there's something wrong with Key", Taemin said hurriedly, "Minho and Jinki hyung are already on their way". 
Jonghyun hurried to Kibum's house. What could've happened? Kibum wasn't hurt right?
The door was opened and Jinki's car was already parked at the driveway. 
He hurried up the stairs to find Jinki in the hall outside of Kibum's room. He entered to find Tamein and Minho looking concerned. Minho gave him a look, "Taemin said the Kibum suddenly started saying that is was cold and then he just covered himself in the duvet. He won't even talk."
When he left the room, Jonghyun lifted the blanket to reveal the even paler boy. His lips were slowly losing colour and his wide eyes were red. Jonghyun swore under his breath. 
"Hyung, is it -- that kind of case?" Taemin asked. 
Jonghyun nodded before leaving the room to find Minho and Jinki arguing.
"What are you saying? Of course we need to call an ambulance! What if it's serious?" Minho demanded. 
"Minho you don't understand! That isn't safe", Jinki replied. 
Jinki was right. If Kibum was sent to the hospital, doctors would figure out that he's different and they'd take him away. 
Without a word, Jonghyun grabbed Minho's phone, "You can't call the hospital Minho, it isn't safe. I've seen this before, I know what to do. I'll explain to you later. We need to take care of Kibum first." 
Reluctantly, Minho nodded. 
"Okay, I'll warm him but I need an ice bath prepared in an hour", Jonghyun instructed. 
"Ice bath? He's freezing! Are you crazy?" Minho demanded. 
"Minho!" Jinki protested, "Just for once, trust him". 
Minho sighed, "Come Taemin, we're gonna get some ice". 
"Tell me when it's ready" Jonghyun said to the elder before returning to Kibum's room. He crawled into his bed and held him close until his temperature returned and the colour reappeared on his face. Only Kibum's eyes remained red. 
He should've known; now, Jonghyun was certain Kibum was a hybrid. 
An hour later, the bath was ready and Minho helped Jonghyun bring the drowsy boy into the bathroom. They removed his clothes (except his boxers) before placing him inside. Kibum began to cry and thrash around but they held him in while Minho had a torn expression as he saw his brother cry and beg so he decided to join his boyfriend outside. He was forced to trust Jonghyun because he saw Kibum's red eyes. He was no doctor but that really couldn't possibly be normal. Only half an hour later, the sound died down as Kibum's eyes returned to regular colour and the firm hold of him loosened. Jonghyun grabbed a towel as Kibum went unconcious from the exhaustion. Taemin followed behind with the boy's clothes. After dressing and tucking him into bed, the two boys sighed in exhaustion. And Jonghyun was quick to notice Taemin's darker eyes, "Lee Taemin, don't think about it" he warned. The two finally returned to the living room where Jinki and Minho sat, waiting.