CHAPTER 2: BREAKING NEWS

Don't Look At Me Like That (쳐다보지마)

"Okay explain", Minho demanded. 
"Well", Jonghyun said nervously, "I'm a werewolf."
All the boys were quiet as a pregnant silence existed, waiting for Minho's reaction. 
"Wow Kim Jonghyun. I wasn't expecting a lot from you since the beginning but for you to pull this kind of prank, I'm actually dissappointed", Minho finally said. 
"No you have to beleive me Minho! I 'm totally serious", Jonghyun begged. 
"I'd have to be an idiot to beleive--- WHY ARE YOU STRIPPING?!" Minho exclaimed, alarmed. 
Jonghyun calmly removed his clothes and in a few seconds, he was gone, now a huge dark-furred wolf in front of him. Minho couldn't beelive it. There was a wolf in his living room. And the wolf was Kim Jonghyun, his brother's boyfriend. His eyes and mouth were wide open.
"Hyung, your tongue and eyes are going to fall out", Taemin rolled his eyes. 
"But... Can't you see?! It's a wolf! It--Am I crazy?" the boy sputtered. 
"Nope it's real", Jinki confirmed. After a minute, Minho had calmed down.
"Okay", he said shakily, "I beleive you, just change to human again". 
Jonghyun returned to a human, his huge abs and muscles on display. 
Minho covered Jinki's eyes as the elder dressed himself. 
Jonghyun sat back down and began to speak, "And Taemin is a hybrid vampire." 
"ing hell Jonghyun!" Minho cursed with a hand on his heart, "Are you trying to kill me?"
Minho looked at Taemin, the boy was grinning to reveal long, needle-sharp canines that stuck out of his mouth. The boy's eyes were darker as well. Minho cringed, "I beleive you". 
The boy returned to regular and Minho had a frightened expression. Taemin and Jonghyun could feel his pounding heart. 
"Don't worry, I'm a hybrid and the vampire sterotypes don't apply to me", Taemin explained, "I'm not in constant blood-lust. I only feed once a day and usually live off of human food. I don't get burned by sunlight, and crosses and garlic don't effect me. And I'm not immortal, I just age slow". 
Minho calmed down a bit and fell back against the couch as he sighed. 
"Want me to continue?" Jonghyun asked tentatively. 
"Oh let me guess, Jinki is a mermaid?" Minho exclaimed. 
Jinki scrunched his nose cutely, "...I'm a human". 
Minho was ecstatic at the news. He hugged his boyfriend tightly, "Oh thank goodness!"
"Well moving on, there's something you need to know about Kibum", Jonghyun continued. 
"You bit him and turned him into a were!" Minho exclaimed in fury.
"Stop assuming things", Jonghyun rolled his eyes, "That isn't even possible. A bite can't change your species. Would you turn into a dog if a dog bit you?" 
Minho shook his head.
"Kibum seems to be a special case. He's a hybrid but unlike Tamein, he's a hybrid between vampires and werewolves", Jinki interrupted.
"But-- That would mean---", Minho began confused. 
"Yep his biological parents were a werewolf and vampire", Jonghyun agreed.
"Dammit! My life is a lie! Why didn't he ever tell me?" Minho exclaimed hurt. Kibum shared everything with him.
"From his reaction to all this, he didn't know either", Jonghyun said. 
Minho stared at him, "How is that possible? Wouldn't he need to drink blood and change into a wolf during the full moon?"
"Once again with stereotypes", Jonghyun said annoyed, "You just saw that I can shift whenever I feel like it. The full moon has nothing to do with that". 
"To answer your question", Jinki began, "Since he's a hybrid, Kibum doesn't drink blood at all. He relies solely on human food which can be a reason why he hasn't realized who he is. But the downside of this is that his hybrid blood is very tempting to vampires".
"And a werewolf doesn't exactly turn untill the age of 18 because it requires a lot of strength and energy. The first process is very painful as well. Since he's appraoching the age, his body is becoming aware and more alert, much like puberty", Jonghyun added. 
"Is this common? How do you guys know this stuff?" Minho asked warily. 
"It actually isn't very common since werewolves and vampires don't really communicate. We tend to avoid each other mostly so the chances of them mating is rare but it does happen", Jonghyun explained, "Besides, we had a similar case in my clan". 
"There are more of you?!" Minho exclaimed. 
"Yes, there are. This happened many years ago so I'm not sure of details however, a case like this took place. It was often spoken of as something like this doesn't go ignored. A male delta in our clan had mated with a female vampire and they had a child. However the male delta passed away in some sort of battle over territory and his mate passed away from grief leaving the boy in the hands of the clan. He was mainly ignored or bullied by the others since he was a hybrid orphan. He left the clan territory often and as soon as he did that, he was out of the safety of the pack. Vampires often fed from him since a hybrid's blood is considered a delicious delicacy. Eventually, by the time he was 18, he let himself be fed by numerous vampires and ended up too weak to survive the shifting. The alpha had to bite his throat to kill him instantly and avoid even more suffering", Jonghyun explained. Minho's mouth was dry as he thought of Kibum and the story. Would he be in constant danger now? 
"But vampires aren't heartless murders Minho", Taemin said, "The feeding isn't that painful and even pleasurful for the victim. Almost all vampires had control and they stop instead of draining the body. In this case, the boy had given up on life and he knew exactly what was going to happen. Unlike him, I'm a human hybrid so I lived with my clan until maturity. It's almost like alcohol, being fed on, it makes you forget and succumbed by pleasure." 
Minho looked bewildered as he listened to his two friends. 
But Jinki decided to continue, "And that is why you can't let anybody know about Kibum or anybody. Taking him to a hospital is most foolish thing you can ever do. In the past, there was a well-known incident of a girl who was sent to the hospital by her human friends. Doctors realized that she was different. She was a vampire-hybrid. They sent her to a national lab where they used her as a lab rat, injecting her with drugs and testing their weird theories until she died painfully." 
Minho clutched his head, "This is too much to handle. My brother is a hybrid of a werewolf and vampire. What am I supposed to do now? What will happen to him? He's not even safe!" 
"Um there's one more thing", Jonghyun said softly. 
"Jesus Kim Jonghyun, do you want me to get a heart attack??" 
"Well as you may already know, wolves mate for life", Jonghyun began. 
"No no no", Minho said in realization, "No, this isn't acceptable. I'm sorry but you and Kibum will not be eloping". 
"It isn't a choice Minho", Jinki softly said, "It's the bond that they're born with. The more they're further from one another, the weaker both of them get." 
"Why? Isn't all this enough? Isn't this dangerous? Don't you understand? My brother is gonna be in constant danger! In the human world and this--vampire-wolf world! You don't understand how fragile Kibum is! He's going to go crazy from all this!" Minho exclaimed, desperation and frustration clear in his voice. Now everyone was silent. 
Jinki rubbed his boyfriend's shoulder gently, "I know this is a lot to take in Minho. You're a great brother for Kibum. We'll all help keep him safe." 
"Jinki hyung, I think it's time to go", Jonghyun said glancing worriedly at Taemin. Minho followed his gaze to the boy who had a blank look with black covering his eyes. 
He scrunched up his nose, "What the hell is wrong with him?" 
"Remember when I told you Kibum's blood is irresistable to vampires?" Jonghyun asked. 
Minho's face paled as Jinki and Taemin got up. But before Jonghyun could leave, Minho called him back, "Yah Jonghyun! Where do you think you're going?! Who's gonna explain all this to Kibum because I sure as hell will not. I'm going to bed." 
Jonghyun nodded and went upstairs to Kibum's room while Minho went into his. He was in for a wild ride and he knew it. 
The next morning was a Friday and Minho awoke wishing that the previous night's events were merely a dream. Nothing more. He got up and went to the kitchen to find Kibum cooking breakfast like always. The boy turned around quickly as he sensed him. His eyes widened, "Minho!! I'm a vampire and werewolf!!" 
Minho sighed; it wasn't a dream. 
"Why are you so happy? Do you know how serious this is? Do you understand the risks?" Minho demanded.
"Aigoo", Kibum cooes, reaching up to pinch his brother's cheeks, "Poor Minho! You've been thinking too hard. How many times have I told you not to do that?" 
"Kibum! This isn't a joke! Why are you so carefree about all this?" Minho continued. 
"Because", Kibum said slyly, "I can turn into a totally awesome wolf and drink your blood when I'm mad at you". 
Minho rolled his eyes, "Nice try. Jonghyun already told me you don't blood."
Kibum pouted, "Oh well, I tried. Let's have breakfast, neh?"
The two boys had kimchi pancakes and got ready for school. Oddly, Kibum was acting like last night didn't happen. Either that or Minho was finding it hard to believe how carefree his brother was about the situation. 
Finally, at lunchtime, Minho asked, "How are you not worried Kibum? I'm more worried than you and you're the were!"
Kibum laughed, "I'm calm because I know you'll worry enough for both of us. You and Jinki hyung are like that."