CHAPTER 5: HONESTY

Don't Look At Me Like That (쳐다보지마)

"A human?" his sister gasped. 
"A h-hybrid. A were-vampire."
Everyone was silent. 
"How is that possible? I thought the law...", Jonghyun's father protested.
"I'm not sure either but he didn't realize it until last month. And that's when I realized it as well. His step-brother is a human and both of them are quite shocked about it as well", Jonghyun explained. 
"Oh. Well, what about his mother? She should have an explanation?" his sister asked. She was the only one who wasn't too shocked to speak. 
"His mother has abandoned him. She's a vampire with a teleportation power. She's never present but somehow only provides financial support through her human step-son's bank account. His father abandoned her after Kibum was born". 
"Kibum. That's his name, I'm guessing?" his father finally spoke. 
"I know it's illegal but I can't help it dad. He's my mate", Jonghyun said sadly. 
"I'm dissappointed Jonghyun. I didn't raise you to be ashamed of your feelings. All wolves are born with this special bond that is supposed to be treasured", his deep voice said. Jonghyun's eyes widened in surprise, "I-I thought you'd be angry. Since it was illegal!"
"Those were my father's views. Have you forgotten that the unfair slaying of any species is prohibitted?" his father demanded. 
Jonghyun was speechless. 
"Oh FINALLY!" his mother squeeled, "My son has found a mate!! When can we meet him??" 
"Uh- I - I will ask if he's free tomorrow afternoon", Jonghyun said. 
His father was smiling, "Congratulations son."Jonghyun's eyes teared, "Thanks dad. You guys are amazing parents."
His older sister grinned, flashing her brother a thumbs up before getting up, "Well Gary is waiting. See ya tomorrow!" 

Telling everyone about the news, everyone was very happy. Minho was grateful that his brother's existence was legal. 
"You guys worry too much", Taemin said, rolling his eyes. 
"What if they don't like me?" Kibum said worriedly. Jonghyun laughed at Kibum's typical worries. 
"It'll be fine, Bummie", Jonghyun assured. "I'll come pick you up around 6pm". 
Minho had extra cirricular activities so Kibum returned home alone, extremely nervous. He had no idea what to wear. How was he going to impress a family of werewolves. Taemin had told him they were very strict too and that didn't help the situation. Jonghyun entered the house at exactly 6:05pm. 
"KIBUM! I'M HEAR!" he called, settling on the couch. 
"Tell the world why don't you!" Minho's voice hollered in annoyance. He was probably sleeping. Finally, Kibum came downstairs. Jonghyun looked at him in awe. Kibum looked absolutely flawless.
"Your staring isn't helping my nerves", Kibum mumbled. 
"You look hot".
Kibum was wearing a simple shirt with a green jacket. His blond hair was styled upwards and his eyes had a decent amount of makeup. He also wore black skinny jeans that looked like they were made for him. 
His frown softened at his boyfriend, "Let's go". 
The two pulled up at a large, nice house that wasn't in a particular neighbourhood. It was a peaceful setting and looked quite lovely. The younger boy wordlessly followed Jonghyun to the door. 
"Don't worry Kibummie. They'll love you", Jonghyun gave the younger boy's hand a squeeze for support before the door opened to reveal a pretty woman with a gentle smile. 
"Oh! You must Kibum! How lovely to see you!" she exclaimed. 
"Hello. Nice to meet you", Kibum returned, bowing respectfully. 
She led the boys to the living room which had modern, clean furniture. On the couch, sat another pretty girl that Kibum assumed was Jonghyun's sister. He greeted her as well before Jonghyun's mother called her to set the table, leaving him and Jonghyun alone. Kibum let out a breath. 
"Calm down", Jonghyun smiled fondly.
They sat on the table and were joined by Jonghyun's father, a good looking man with a kind, firm face. Kibum smiled widely and bowed, "It's great to meet you. Jonghyun hyung speaks very highly of you".
"Likewise", the man replied, "And I'm proud to say my son has very good taste". Kibum blushed and thanked him. 
"Dad! Are you hitting on my boyfriend?" Jonghyun asked with a bewildered expression.
"Of course not, son. I'm just acknowledging that he's a very good looking young man", the man chuckled. He seemed like an amazing father. 
"Wah! You're cooking is amazing!" Kibum commented. 
"Oh thank you sweetheart!" Jonghyun's mother gushed. 
"Key cooks too", Jonghyun added with his mouth full. 
"Really?" Jonghyun's father asked surprised. 
Kibum blushed, "Well, I was raised by my late grandmother and she taught me everything. I can take care of myself". 
"Oh he's being modest", Jonghyun interrupted, "He's a chef! He can cook amazing American and Korean foods!" 
"Wow! I'm impressed", Jonghyun's sister said, "You should let us taste your cooking one day". 
"Oh of course." 
About halfway through dinner, another man entered the scene. He was tall and good-looking, resembling Jonghyun's father a lot. 
"Oh, this is my hyung, Siwon", Jonghyun introduced. 
Kibum smiled and nodded, "It's very nice to meet you. I'm Kibum". The elder's eyes were stuck on Kibum for a long while. 
"Um you're staring", Jonghyun raised a brow, "Who's scoffing now?"
Kibum was confused but decided not to question. 
But in the middle of the conversation, the elder interrupted abruptly, "Do you have any siblings?"
Jonghyun's sister burst out laughing. 
"Uhm, I have a step-brother", Kibum said awkwardly. 
"Please excuse my son honey", Jonghyun's mother said embarassed, "Siwon has a tendency to forget to run things through his brain before blurting them out".
Everyone chuckled as the elder pouted. 
After dessert, Jonghyun took Kibum's plate for him.
"Thanks hyung", Kibum smiled. 
"Hyung? Do you really call him that?" Siwon asked curiously. 
Kibum blushed, "Uhm, he's one year older than me but usually, I don't use formalities."
"Oh then please be comfortable!" Jonghyun's father said kindly. Kibum nodded thankfully. 
Later on, Kibum quickly got comfortable with the family and he enjoyed their company as they all decided to watch a family movie together. Around the end, Jonghyun noticed his boyfriend's head on his shoulder. He turned to find Kibum asleep. His face looked happy and flawless. 
"I think we should be going", Jonghyun said, motioning to the boy on his shoulder. His mother and sister awed softly and giggled. 
He gently shook Kibum, "Bummie, wake up. Let's go home". 
Kibum's eyes fluttered open as he looked around confused before realizng where he was. 
"Oh! I'm terribly sorry for falling asleep!" he apolagized, blushing. The family warmly smiled and assured that it was fine as Kibum was tired from the eventful day. 
He said goodbye and Jonhyun took him home before returning. 
"They loved you babe", he pecked Kibum's cheek before leaving. 
"Your mate is quite a looker, for a guy", Siwon commented. 
"I know" Jonghyun replied cockily. 
"Yeah Jonghyun! You better not mess this up! He's gorgeous!" his mother warned. 
"I know mom. I love him alot. He turning 18 next year and will be able to change" Jonghyun explained. 
"Okay, be careful. We all know that is a critical time in any wolf's life", Jonghyun's father advised before saying goodnight. Jonghyun went to his own room, texting Kibum a 'good night' before playing Candy Crush for a while. His door was suddenly opened abruptly to reveal his older brother. This was odd behavious since the two weren't the closest pair of siblings.
Jonghyun raised a brow, "Do you need something?"
"I just came for a talk". Siwon walked over to Jonghyun's chari and sat down the opposite way, facing his brother. 
"So...Kim Kibum".
Jonghyun just looked blankly at his brother. 
"He's a hybrid huh?" 
"Yeah, we talked about that", Jonghyun reminded. 
"Yeah but that kid doesn't look like he can kill a fly".
"Why would he...?" Jonghyun asked confused. 
"Well, since he blood and all that...? He is part vampire, right?" Siwon asked.
"Oh no hyung. Hybrids of vampires and weres don't drink blood. They consume like regular humans", Jonghyun explained. 
"Really? That's weird", Siwon said thoughtfully. After a few seconds, he got up, "Well, congratz. I hope to see Kibum around then".
"Mhmm thanks hyung", Jonghyun said. 
The next day at school, Jonghyun told Kibum about Siwon's odd interest in him.
"I've never seen him give anyone a second glance before", Jonghyun said, "I think you may actually be the one living thing that my brother actually likes other than our parents!" 
Kibum was trying to multitask as he listened to Jonghyun as he finished his last chemistry question. Finally done he set down his pencil and sighed in satisfaction 
"Well, I picked the better brother, didn't I?" the younger boy said, batting his lashes. 
Jonghyun was a bit taken aback as it was uncommon to see Kibum be so directly sweet. Feeling a swell of pride in his chest, he pecked Kibum on the lips affectionately and the younger boy returned it. 
"I think I'll go home after lunch. They're having a volleyball tournament and it's not exactly my cup of tea", Kibum muttered. 
"Oh I can come too. Besides, I only have World Issues. We're watching a documentary and I can watch it on Youtube", Jonghyun added. 
"Well then, you can pick up Taemin from school later on as well", Minho said. 
"Sure we will", Kibum quickly agreed as he tugged Jonghyun's arm. 

So it all worked out in the end :)