Prologue II

Don't Look At Me Like That (쳐다보지마)

(PLEASE LISTEN!!!!)
Song: Song Ji Eun - Don't Look At Me Like That

Jonghyun left the room once he saw the flat line on the heart machine.
He couldn't take it.
The amount of guilt and regret in him was suffocating and he felt as though he couldn't breathe.
When he returned, he was met by Zorro, who looked like he was waiting for him.

"He's gone. Isn't he?"
It wasn't a question. Jonghyun wouldn't-- couldn't look his friend in the eye.

Zorro didn't care either. He pulled out a letter and held it in front of Jonghyun.
"This may be the only memory you'll get of him", he said, "Not that you deserve this letter in the first place".

As soon as Jonghyun took the letter, Zorro hurried off.

Jonghyun had a weird feeling as he silently returned to his home.
He felt repulsion.
Nobody spoke to him as he went upstairs silently, locking his room before settling on his  bed.
Heart beating quickly, he sighed and slowly opened the envelope.
He pulled out regular piece of lined paper; it seemed like hand written essay.

And with no mistake, it was Kibum's hand-writing.
Jonghyun took a deep breath before beginning...

"Dear Kim Jonghyun"...

Jonghyun cringed from the formality. Kibum was never formal.

"Firstly, I'm going to thank you. Thank you for the happy memories you gave me. I'm glad I got to experience love... Even if it was one-sided."

Jonghyun froze. It wasn't one-sided. Did Kibum think that it was one-sided from the beginning?
Jonghyun's heart ached to go back and tell Kibum that he never stopped loving him.

"Well, even if it wasn't all one-sided, all good things come to an end. I've always had back luck with relationships to be honest. My mother and you; the relationship was never meant to be...
However, I have so many questions for you. I want to know so badly.
Since when did you make up your mind about me? Was it when you abandoned me?
I didn't even to hug my friends or even my brother good bye. Well how was I to know that I wouldn't be returning to my home?
I wish you told me; it wouldn't change much. I wouldn't run away or escape or anything like that...
I'd follow you anywhere.
I wish I had more time with those I love.
But I guess it was my fault huh? I should've listened to you. If I listened, this wouldn't have happened.
But then again, my luck isn't the best so I'm sorry it turned out this way.
If I don't get the chance to say this, I'd like to apologize for getting you in trouble. I really am.
I know you were waiting for an apology to forgive but you should know I stand by my values and stubbornness. I wasn't going to apologize for something I was a victim to; that's pathetic. And that isn't what I am doing right now.
I'm not sorry for telling you; I'd never lie to you.
I'm sorry.
I should've let him go all the way. Maybe that way, he wouldn't have filed that complaint..."

Finally, tears flowed down Jonghyun's teeth as his fingers clutched the paper in his hands.
He grit his teeth to prevent any whimpers from escaping his throat.
He swallowed before continuing.

"Either way, that isn't the reason I decided to turn myself in.
If I was released, I'd be seen as criminal. There's no way I could embarrass you like that and remain as your mate.
For your sake, I decided to take the punishment; so I hope you'll do well without me.
I honestly couldn't stand you looking at me like a monster; like a criminal.
I didn't want to live if the one I love looked at me like that. And my family and friends would only hold pity for me; I'd just slow everyone down; I'm a distraction".

Jonghyun froze.
Those were his exact thoughts on the day Kibum was put into confinement.
That's what he was trying to convince himself to forget about Kibum and insist that Siwon was right.

That's when the truth hit him; he and Kibum had the ability to sense each other's thoughts if they were strong enough.
Instead of convincing himself, he convinced Kibum that it was all his fault.

It wasn't; it really wasn't; Jonghyun couldn't breathe.

"So find a better mate. I wish you the best.
Goodbye... Hyung".

Jonghyun released a pained cry as he hopped down his window in wolf form and cried into the lonely night...