CHAPTER 11: WHY SO SERIOUS?

Don't Look At Me Like That (쳐다보지마)

As days went by, Chansung didn’t bother Kibum at school anymore and most things were back to normal. Especially, since it was now still cold, they often remained in their human form with thick hoodies on.
One morning when Kibum went to his regular post at the borders during a Saturday morning, he was met by Chansung like usual. The two exchanged a few words but they weren’t awkward with one another anymore.
However, about twenty minutes later, Jonghyun came to where they were, looking quite upset. Kibum opened his mouth to greet him when Jonghyun grabbed the younger boy’s wrist harshly.
“What’s wrong with you?” Kibum demanded as Jonghyun pulled him harshly. But the latter turned around sharply to glare at him.
While Kibum was totally confused, Chansung sighed; he’d seen Jonghyun like this before. In fact, he remembered that it was the biggest reason he disliked Jonghyun at first when they were kids. The boy had quite the temper and when his mind was set, nobody could change it. Chansung thought that the boy was the most spoiled thing he’d ever lay his eyes on. Even the future alpha, Siwon, wasn’t that bad. And apparently, Jonghyun hadn’t grown out of his tantrums. But Kibum wasn’t having any of it. He grabbed his wrist away and looked up at Jonghyun, confused.
“What are you doing? I’m on duty right now!” Kibum said firmly although his voice was shaky. Not only was he frightened by Jonghyun’s sudden behaviour but he was embarrassed with the way Jonghyun was treating him in front of Chansung.
“Not anymore, let’s go?” Jonghyun said coldly, grabbing Kibum’s wrist harder than before.
Now, Kibum seemed frightened. It felt as though Jonghyun wasn’t himself.
“H-hyung”, the younger boy whimpered tugging his arm, “It hurts”.
Chansung had been trying to ignore the situation but he decided that Kibum shouldn’t have to experience Jonghyun’s childish tantrums…Well, that, and he was still feeling guilty for judging and treating Kibum badly. And not that he would admit it, he was concerned for the boy.
He stood in front of Jonghyun, “Let him go”.
The two boys looked at him in surprise.
Jonghyun’s eyes narrowed, “Who do you think you are?”
“You shouldn’t treat your mate like that”, Chansung said, “He isn’t the source of your anger”.
But that only made Jonghyun angrier. He shoved past Chansung, dragging Kibum along. They reached his house where Jonghyun finally released his wrist. Kibum frowned as he noticed the empty house and rubbed his red wrist. What was even weirder was that Jonghyun just sat on the couch, looking angry and frustrated. With the look on his face, Kibum was afraid to approach the elder.
In fact, the younger boy was so frightened that he didn’t even notice his unshed tears.
Meanwhile, Jonghyun took a deep breath to calm himself down. He’d woken up that morning to an injured wolf who was patrolling borders. With the news of two dangerous rogues attacking, there was panic. What was even more of a problem was that these wolves were vampire hybrids.
“It’s because of that white wolf! He has something to do with this!” one elder exclaimed at a pack meeting, “There’s more of them”.
“Let’s not jump to conclusions” Jonghyun’s father interrupted, “Our priority is the safety of the pack”. Jonghyun was soon dismissed to meet with the border patrol team and inform the increase of wolves and shifts for patrol. He was under more stress while Siwon was a total no-show.
He finally finished arranging new schedules and groups when he realized that Kibum was probably at the borders …

Jonghyun’s thoughts were disturbed by a faint sniffling sound. His eyes shot up to meet Kibum’s frightened ones. The poor boy’s cheek was stained by a single tear and Jonghyun softened, getting up to walk towards him. But Kibum visibly stiffened and took a step back.
“Kibum, I—“,  Jonghyun began.
“Please don’t come closer”, Kibum said abruptly, surprising himself and Jonghyun. His arms were up in a position to shield his body and guilt cut through the older boy; he hurt his mate. And he felt like crawling into a hole when his eyes fell on the bruise around Kibum’s wrist. He grabbed the boy’s wrist and softly ran his thumb over the angry bruise, “I’m so sorry Kibum! I didn’t mean to hurt you!”
But Kibum wasn’t listened as he pulled away harshly, his heart beating against his chest, “I’ve g-gotta go”.
Jonghyun knew that if he tried following Kibum, it would make things worse. He needed to give Kibum some space especially after scaring him badly. So, he sadly watched the boy hurry out the house. He groaned and collapsed onto the couch once again with his head in his palms in frustration.
“Kim Jonghyun, what have you done?”
…………
The door slammed shut as Kibum shakily untied his sneakers before kicking them off. He proceeded to rush past Jinki who was eating cereal on the couch, with the news channel on. Usually, he’d scold the elder but he didn’t even flinch when Jinki gave him a cheerful, “Hey Kibum!”
Jinki looked confused as his followed the boy as he hurried upstairs into his room; clearly, something was wrong. He set the cereal bowl down and went to his room, knocking slowly. When he received no reply, he slowly opened the door and let himself in to find an empty room. Confused, he looked around and it took him a while to realize that Kibum was sitting with his head down on the floor, behind the door. His knees were brought up to his chest, his head was down, and his shoulders shook slowly.
Jinki put his worry and curiosity behind as he took a seat next to the boy, rubbing his back gently, waiting for the sobs to subside.
About 5 minutes later, Kibum lifted his head and wildly wiped his puffy, red eyes in embarrassment.
“Don’t do that”, Jinki said softly as he removed Kibum’s hands and gently wiped his stray tears. It took a lot for the elder to swallow his questions and maintain his calm stature as he saw Kibum’s condition.
“Th-thanks hyung”, Kibum sniffled.
“No problem”, Jinki smiled sweetly, “Wanna talk?”
Kibum hesitated, “I really don’t know why. I was at the borders and Jonghyun just came and he was really angry and dragged me to his house. I have no idea why he was so upset but he yelled and he was rather rough and angry. I was just scared; I’ve never seen him so angry”.
It would be a lie if Jinki wasn’t surprised but he decided that it would be better to confront the source than the upset boy.
All he could do was sigh and lead Kibum to his bed, “You’ve been up quite early so you must be tired. Rest and get some energy. We cad confront Jonghyun later”. Kibum immediately snuggled into his bed as he realized he was tired. However, when Jinki made a move to leave, Kibum’s head shot up from the covers, “Hyung, can you stay until I’m asleep?” Jinki held a smirk at the younger boy’s embarrassed voice.
“What’s the magic word?”
“Please?”
“Alright”.
However, Jinki was quick to notice a dark bruise on Kibum’s wrist, “What happened to your wrist?”
“Jonghyun”, Kibum whispered.
Jinki frowned; Jonghyun went too far. Why would he behave in such a way out of nowhere?

Jinki’s thoughts were disturbed by Minho, who entered the room with a towel around his neck. He had a surprised expression, “What are you doing in here?”
“Let’s talk outside; Kibum is sleeping”, Jinki got up quietly to explain the events of that morning to the taller boy.

“I’ll kill the ! How dare he treat my brother like that?” Minho said angrily with a fiery look in his eyes.
But Jinki grabbed his hand just as his boyfriend stood up, “As much as I agree with you, I don’t think starting a fight with a werewolf is the best idea”.
Minho scowled and texted Jonghyun, “He better have a good excuse for this!”
The door opened and closed silently and Minho felt like jumping the elder when he entered the living room. Seeing this, Jinki placed a hand on his thigh to calm him down.
“Sit down”, Minho said in gritted teeth.
“Look guys, I’m really sorry about Kibum! I didn’t mean to hurt him! I was just really worried and frustrated”, Jonghyun blurted.
“What kind of cowardly excuse is that?” Jinki demanded, “If you’re sticking to that, we’ll need an explanation.”
“It’s not an excuse hyung”, Jonghyun sighed, “You know how Kibum has been patrolling borders? Two rouges were spotted last night and critically injured one of my wolves. What’s worse is that they’re vampire hybrids – with strong powers”.
“Wait”, Minho said slowly, “You—you – is this what this is about? You think Kibum has something to do with this?”
“That’s obvious; they wouldn’t randomly decide to attack knowing that their existence is illegal. They know about Kibum. I don’t know how though”, Jonghyun replied.
“So that’s why you fought?” Jinki asked.
“No, I was just really stressed and worried…and it just happened, hyung”, Jonghyun said with his head down.
“What happened?” Minho asked to only be ignored.
Meanwhile, Jinki had a bewildered expression on his face, “Jesus Kim Jonghyun! Is this the infamous tantrum Zorro told me about?!”
Jonghyun’s silence was enough of an answer.
“What tantrum? Who’s Zorro?” Minho asked confused.
“Jonghyun hasn’t grown out of his stubborn, childish tantrums. That is the reason why Kibum is upset”, Jinki introduced.
“I’m so done with you Kim Jonghyun”, Minho said, “What does my brother see in you?”
“I’m sorry alright!” Jonghyun protested.
“And Zorro said it was a thing of the past”, Jinki muttered, “Past, my ”.
“And who’s this Zorro?” Minho asked.
“Just Jonghyun’s best friend”, Jinki said.
“Your *cough* ex”, Jonghyun said bluntly, a smirk growing on his face.
“Your EX?!” Minho demanded, “Why are you friends with your ex??”
“We ended on good terms, Minho”, Jinki said, attempting to calm down the younger boy, “We’re just friends”.
“Oh, Minho doesn’t know?” Jonghyun feigned innocence, “Zorro’s back for good and he was wondering about ‘his Jinx’”.
…If only looks could kill.
“HIS JINX?” Minho demanded, “You let him call you that?? What kind of stupid nickname is that?”
“It’s not stupid when it’s your first love”, Jonghyun sang. Minho’s eyes almost popped out of his sockets.
“This guy was that first love?” Minho demanded. While Jonghyun was enjoying himself thoroughly, Jinki facepalmed.
“Minho, we can talk about this later. This is about Kibum, remember”, Jinki said annoyed.
Minho opened his mouth to say something but someone else beat him.

“Yah, why are you guys so loud?”
The three pairs of eyes turned to Kibum who was sleepily rubbing his eyes.
“Oh you’re up!” Jinki said brightly, “Jonghyun stopped by to talk”.
Kibum stiffened when he noticed the elder’s presence.
“Why are you here?”
“Kibum, I really—“, Jonghyun began but he was interrupted.
“I really don’t want to talk right now,” Kibum snapped, visibly upset.
Minho got up with Jinki, “You two need to talk and clear things up”.
After they left, Kibum remained standing for five minutes, not meeting Jonghyun’s eyes.
“Kibummie, come here”.
“I know you came to apologize or whatever. It’s alright Jonghyun”, Kibum huffed.
Jonghyun got up and walked to the younger boy, pulling him into a tight hug. Kibum was too surprised to even react.
“I really mean it Kibum. I know it’s not okay. Don’t forgive someone who hurt you so easily, please. Don’t make it easy for people to hurt you”, Jonghyun said sincerely.
Kibum felt like a melting brick of butter; how did Jonghyun still have this affect on him?
The two separated awhile later but their hands remained entwined.
When they sat on the couch, Kibum finally asked, “Why were you so upset Jjong?”
Jonghyun sighed; he really didn’t want to tell Kibum the whole situation because he knew Kibum would distance himself and automatically assume it’s all his fault.
“Nothing but I was just really stressed because I had a lot to do”, Jonghyun said, “Siwon hasn’t been showing up in meetings and there were scents of some rogue wolves. That’s why I made you leave this morning. I’m really sorry but can you not do border patrol anymore? It’s dangerous”.
Kibum didn’t talk for a while, “You really don’t think I can help? You know, you can ask for help or at least talk to me if you’re so stressed.”
Jonghyun swallowed slowly as guilt spread through him. Right now, he wasn’t even telling Kibum the whole truth – but he wasn’t lying right?
Besides, it should be alright since he’s doing this for Kibum’s safety ---- right?

“Of course not Bummie! I just want you to be safe. It’s temporary. You can help me with alpha stuff, instead”, Jonghyun recommended.
“Really? Sure!” Kibum said enthusiastically as he snuggled into the elder’s side.
But the only thing in Jonghyun’s head was making sure Kibum didn’t learn about the rogues and he had to keep his temper intact…
Well, time for his last resort… Zorro. 

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

OMG, I haven’t uploaded for so long! It felt like forever! Sorry everyone!! My next update will probably be around February. Please remain patient! Thanks SO MUCH for the support!
Heads up! There’s Onho drama coming up! Feel free to leave suggestions and I apologize for any careless grammar/ spelling errors in advance. Just so u know I am literate; it’s just that I get careless and I’m too lazy to proofread: P

AND OMO!! Jinki’s first LOVE????!!! Zorro? How did I randomly just decide that????

(Oh yeah, because I needed to added onho drama) XD

Ugh! And sooo many emotions going on and (coming up)!!! Please look forward!!!

And Kim Jonghyun… let’s not even go there!! Such a little ! He just loves pissing of Jinki and Minho! I guess he thinks their relationship needs more spice. ;P
But Jinki is royally pissed. Off. 

OMG is he trying to kill someone!??! His MV and album was amaaaazzzinnggggg!!! I almost died on the spot!! He’s amazing!! Like the moment he went shirtless, I can’t say I didn’t expect it but my initial reaction was still like: