CHAPTER 18: BETRAYAL

Don't Look At Me Like That (쳐다보지마)

Jonghyun was at Kibum's house as soon as he had breakfast. Everyone was quiet and the tension was thick in the air.

Jonghyun pulled up at Kibum's house that weekend and hurried inside.
He didn't want to startle him because he knew that his boyfriend would be traumatized.

"Kibum?" he called as he went upstairs.
There was no answer and Kibum and Minho's rooms were empty.
The only place left was the washroom and sure enough, he heard a gagging sound.
Worried, he twisted the doorknob and entered.
"Kibum? Are you in there?" He asked cautiously.

Kibum was bent over the toilet, looking ghostly pale.
He looked up in surprise and Jonghyun gasped at the boy's sick features; his eyes had bags and tears and his cheek was sunken.
The boy's lip quivered when his eyes met Jonghyun's.
"J-Jonghyun", he whimpered.
Jonghyun quickly helped the boy up and embraced him tightly, softly patting his back.
He looked down to see that Kibum had only thrown up water and drops of blood.
And his body was quivering.
"Kibum, let's get you to the hospital".
Kibum didn't reply.
After taking a shower and getting dressed, Kibum emerged from his room.
"Do you want to eat anything? Did you eat last night?" Jonghyun asked, "I can make scrambled eggs."
Kibum shook his head, "There is no point; I'll thrown up anyways".
~~~~~

"It seems that the patient is suffering from trauma", the doctor said.
"I know; is there something I can do to help? He hasn't eaten all day", Jonghyun said.
The doctor in fact, looked surprise with the way Jonghyun brushed the fact and called the elder into his office.
"I'll be back in a bit Kibum", he smiled before following the doctor.

"Take a seat".
Jonghyun say across from the middle-aged man.
"I understand you want this to be personal but your friend needs serious attention", the doctor began, " victims are emotionally vulnerable".
Jonghyun thought he heard wrong, "Wait what? Who said anything about ?!"
"The way he's been acting points to that. Maybe he wasn't but I'm 90% sure he's been attacked", the doctor clarified.
Jonghyun's eyes widened; he was in shock. Did that hybrid try to him? Kibum never mentioned that!

"I can recommend for you to be gentle and patient. He will probably experience self hatred and loss of appetite. But he needs to eat at least two meals a day", the doctor concluded.

Jonghyun faintly nodded before returned to the waiting room, "Let's go".

"J-Jonghyun, where are we going?" Kibum asked in the car.
"To your house. We should spend time together and you're still healing", Jonghyun replied.

After Jonghyun got Kibum to eat half a sandwich, he began to notice how the younger boy wouldn't respond to skinship and keep a small distance.
"Bummie, you trust me right?"
Kibum nodded in a heartbeat.
"I don't want to rush you but is there anything else you think I should know about the past few days?" Jonghyun suggested tentatively.

He saw his boyfriend's hands fumble with his shirt nervously. Jonghyun grabbed Kibum's hand and squeezed it reassuringly, "You can tell me Kibum".

"Before I went to their home, Siwon found me", Kibum began.
Jonghyun was overcome with confusion right away.
"I was in heat that morning and he attacked me", Kibum said.
Jonghyun's mind went blank. He didn't say anything as he tried to take in what he was told.
He didn't want to believe what was told to him. But there was little sense; a wolf, not a hybrid, had injured Kibum...
"Did he do anything?" Jonghyun demanded, his heart beating fast for Kibum.
"N-no".

And suddenly, Jonghyun was reminded of the previous night's events.
"Did-did you attack him by any chance? Using your powers?" Jonghyun asked.
"How did you know?" Kibum asked.

Another moment of uncomfortable silence followed.
"Siwon placed a blame on you".
"On me? He attacked me!" Kibum protested.

Jonghyun was distraught but the first thing on his mind was anger. Extreme anger.
How did Siwon have the guts to touch his mate?
And then have the shamelessness to blame Kibum as well?

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door and Kibum flinched.
Jonghyun opened the door to reveal Taemin who hopped past him and into Kibum's arms.

"Yah! Careful!" Jonghyun said quickly, moving the young vampire away.
"Sorry hyung!" Taemin said quickly, "Are you feeling better?"
"Now that you're hear", Kibum smiled.
"Okay well note that you're here, I have some business to attend to", Jonghyun said.
"Kay see ya!" Taemin cheerfully waved.

"So hyung, how are you?" Taemin asked, turning the TV on.
"I'm getting better", Kibum said, "How's Jinki hyung? I haven't seen him".
"Well, Minho hyung seems really concerned so the two are having an important talk. I got kicked out", Taemin muttered.
Kibum lamely nodded.

Honestly, Jonghyun was still in shock and he just couldn't bring himself to believe Kibum's story. It's not that he thought his mate was a liar, it was just that he couldn't imagine his brother doing such a thing.
Sure, Siwon was reckless and cold at times, but he'd never try to attack Kibum.
And he also knew, he'd have to tell Kibum about the trial/ meeting about the issue.
But Jonghyun's bigger concern was internal; who's side was he on?

..................
"Kibum has to come with me in the evening", Jonghyun said, sounding extremely guilty.
Jinki, Minho, Taemin, and Kibum looked at him.
"What? Where? Why?" Kibum asked.
"It's just a meeting over the previous events. I know you want to forget about it all but they need to be discussed", Jonghyun replied.
"Is it alright hyung?" Taemin asked.
"Don't worry, it's just a meeting", Kibum said, "Sure".

Minho frowned; he could clearly see that Kibum was putting up a brave face but he didn't say anything.
On the way, Kibum asked, "So is it with your dad?"
"Siwon is going to be there as well as some elders. It's more of a trial of you think about it", Jonghyun replied.
"Trial? You could've told me earlier!" Kibum exclaimed.
"So what? What difference does that make? It's not like you need to prepare anything. Just say whatever you told me!" Jonghyun snapped.
"Do do you think I'm lying?" Kibum asked in a small voice.
"I'm neutral in this case", Jonghyun replied.
Kibum felt afraid now; without Jonghyun on his side, nobody would believe him.
He wasn't stupid.
He'd be ruled out right away. He stood no chance.
But at that moment, for the first time in his life, Kibum regretted listening to his brother and telling Jonghyun.
Honestly, he felt like crying but he couldn't do anything now.

But he wouldn't go down without a fight; Kibum wasn't going to give up. No way.

Kibum avoided Siwon's eyes and Jonghyun's father gave him a small smile for comfort. But it did little to ease him.
Siwon stood first to deliver his side of the story:
"I was patrolling when I smelled him but I never attacked Kibum. I only asked him where he was going and Kibum attacked me. Obviously, I fought in self-defence but suddenly a blue light blasted me and I was unconscious."

Then it was Kibum's turn:
"I was walking across the forest when Siwon approached me. He got on me suddenly and I got back. He was a lot stronger and I was hit by a surge of energy. The next thing I knew, he was unconscious."

A stubby man frowned at Kibum, "Why were you in the forest?"

Kibum swallowed nervously, "T-to see the hybrids but I didn't --"

"And how many times did you see them?"
"F-four".

"And were you warned to not socialize with them?"
"Yes but they were the only ones I--".

"And you told nothing to your mate and lied about meeting them".
"I didn't mean to lie", Kibum replied in a soft voice, shrinking in his seat.

"So how do we know you're not lying?" He demanded.
"I wouldn't lie about something like this! I swear! I wouldn't imagine such a thing!" Kibum exclaimed, "You have to believe me!"

"What proof do you have? Who'd believe that the trusted future alpha would attack another pack member. Siwon is known by numerous members of a pack as a warm leader. Who knows you enough to judge your character?"

Kibum turned to look desperately at Jonghyun, "I swear to you this isn't a false claim! What would I gain from this?"

"What would I gain from this?" Siwon demanded, "I could be doing responsibilities instead of wasting time here! That hybrid could've attacked you and you're still protecting him! All of you are alike!"

There was a long silence and three elders held a short meeting with Jonghyun's father.
Jonghyun didn't meet Kibum's eyes the whole time, guilty for leading Kibum into this.

He knew he should take his mate's side but he honestly couldn't imagine his brother doing such a thing.

Kibum felt heartbroken and he realized why Jonghyun had been acting so off ever since the previous day; he didn't trust Kibum.
And right now, Kibum had nobody on his side; he was on his own.

"For the time being, Kim Kibum is to be held captive to avoid escape. His punishment will be decided on."

Captive? Where? How? Was this even legal?

"I have to go home!  There's no way I'm staying here!" Kibum interrupted, "I'm not a criminal".
"False accusation is a crime. And you don't have a choice", Siwon sneered.

Jonghyun had left and Kibum was terrified. He'd never so afraid in his life.
Two guards were ordered to him to a small confinement through numerous underground tunnels. It was like a cell with room for exactly four people to stand shoulder-to-shoulder.
 It was cold and Kibum really had no choice but to transform to his wolf form to keep the heat trapped in his body.
His cell phone had been confiscated and he was alone in the dark.
Tears fell from his eyes. He was angry and afraid of everything that happened.
He didn't mean for this to happen.

……………………………………..

Song: Feel Kim - ghost in your mind (punch OST)
................................................

Meanwhile, Jonghyun left the room after hearing about Kibum's punishment.
He was thoroughly convinced that Kibum was lying.
Thinking realistically, he needed to get his life in order. He was to be beta soon Kibum had been a distraction.
Clearly, he was proved wrong. He believed that Kibum was different.
But now, he decided that Kibum was no different. He decided that he won't fall for Kibum's tricks anymore.

He drove back to his house to inform Minho about what happened; he didn't expect Minho to be happy.

To make matters worse, Taemin and Jinki were also there.
"Oh hey Jonghyun, we decided to have a sleep over spend some time together. It's been a while", Jinki said when he saw him enter.

They were all on the couch, watching some movie.
"Where's Key hyung?" Taemin asked, catching Minho's attention. The tall boy turned to Jonghyun.
"That's what I'm here to talk about".

Jinki immediately turned the TV off and Jonghyun had everyone's attention.
"Kibum didn't have any proof for the incident and there was no way anyone would believe his words over the future alpha", Jonghyun said, "His punishment is undecided so he's being held".

"WHAT?!" Minho demanded, standing up in anger, "He's put in jail for something like this?!"
"What do you mean nobody believes him? Can't you get him out?" Jinki demanded.

Jonghyun's silence caused Jinki to raise his voice for the first time ever.
"Are you telling me that you think Kibum is lying?!"

"I-I could never imagine my brother to do such a thing! I've known him all my life! He'd never do such a thing! I'm 100% sure! Kibum could've been with the hybrid and he's trying to cover up for him!" Jonghyun replied.

"Are you stupid? Kibum is flirty but he'd never cheat on you!! Is that what you're suggesting of my brother?" Minho grabbed Jonghyun's collar.

Jonghyun glared at Minho.
"Even I'm surprised; I guess all hybrids are attracted to each other. They're all the same; I guess this is why they were made illegal", he snapped.

Everyone gasped when Minho punched Jonghyun across the face.
But Jonghyun was expecting it.
"I don't give a about your opinion", Minho said lowly, "I want my brother back... Get out".

Jonghyun left, honestly, not feeling much emotion. The day's events gave him a numb feeling and he didn't spare a thought for his mate...

..................................................................................................................................................................................

So everything is just gonna go downhil from this point :P

Btw thank u for being patient everyone! I will not be updating next week because I have tests so please be patient and enjoy this chapter ^_^

be prepared for heartbreaking sad jongkey....

Lots of love to shinee <3