Runaway

He May Be the One

I make it to the XXX Restaurant ten minutes late.  I check my phone before entering. No calls. No messages.  ‘Hopefully, they are not upset that I am so late.’  As I begin opening the door to the restaurant, I see a glimpse of the interior.  ‘Why is nobody in here?’ I ask myself.  I decide not to enter and instead peer through the huge glass windows.  ‘Yup, nobody is definitely in there.’  I walk across the windows, scanning the restaurant.  I finally see someone.  It’s Jung Yong Hwa.  He is dressed in a suite.  Looking as if he is anxious.

“Hyung?”  A voice says near me. 

I quickly hide myself behind a wall.  I look over.  It’s Kang Minhyuk.  He is talking on the phone.  ‘Why is he not dressed formally?’ I ask myself.

“She is probably late from getting all pretty for you….. Hehe I know she doesn’t know it’s just going to be you two but that’s all part of the surprise… this is your chance hyung don’t mess it up….. yeah, I’m about to leave. I know you see me…. Just don’t scare her away. Have a normal dinner with her and make her feel comfortable. …. Hyung, in time she will see that you are a better man for her. Just don’t rush it like last time….yeh ”  He hangs up the phone and walks away.

I leave my hiding spot and immediately walk towards the door of the restaurant.  ‘What are they planning?’  I open the door and walk in.

“Annyeong, Mor Ri,” Jung Yong Hwa greets me awkwardly.

“Oppa, what is going on?” I ask him.

He is taken at back of what I asked.  He collects himself and answers, “It was Minhyuk’s idea. Please, don’t be angry.”

“I have no reason to be angry,” I reply.  I sit down.

“You look beautiful,” he compliments me.

“Gamsahabnida oppa.  You look handsome.” I return the compliment.

Our food is soon brought to us and we start eating.

“How is your work here?” he asks.

“Good, I’m almost done with my album and will be releasing it soon.  I’m going to be going back to Korea soon to do some work there for a few days so I’ll be traveling a lot.”

“Oh, so we will be seeing each other in Korea again?”

I hesitate and then answer honestly, “I don’t know.  If I have time.”

….

He suddenly gets up.  “I actually didn’t plan on eating with you.  Minhyuk tricked me into this.  At first, I thought we could enjoy a good meal and talk but it seems I cannot.  Mor Ri, excuse me but I’m going.” He walks away.

‘What just happened?’ I ask myself.  My eyes wide open from the shock.

Kang Minhyuk suddenly rushes in.   “Did he really just leave?” he asks.

It takes me a while to answer, “I think so…”

“Damn it, I knew he was going to do this. Why did I…” He goes into thought.

He finally speaks again. “Mian-hae noona.  I shouldn’t have pressured hyung into doing this.  I guess he is just not ready.”

“Gwenchana, Minhyuk.  It’s not your fault.  I’ve had other plans anyways,” I lie.  I get up and start walking. “Maybe if I hurry in time.  I’ll make it.”

The night becomes cold.  Luckily, I become distracted by my thoughts.  “Am I really that much of a horrible person?” I say to myself.  I repeat that same question over and over again in my head.

“Ani-yo, you’re heart is just lost,” someone replies in front of me.

I look up.  “Hyun….Hyun Joong oppa?...” I whisper underneath my frozen breath.

“But it’s okay.  I have found your heart long ago,” he says as he walks over to me and puts his scarf around my neck.