Chapter 5-Hopeless

H-POP

Pairing(s); Seyeol

Rating/Notes; PG, Chanyeol being a Chandumb

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“CHANYEOL. WHAT ARE YOU DOING??”

Chanyeol gave a wild swing of his bat, narrowly missing the head of Key’s broom as he zoomed away just in time. A moment later he ducked down on his broom, wild curls of bright orange hair flopping messily over his face as he swung his hair around, looking for the source of the furious shout.

Choi Siwon glided up to him, cape blowing back from his broad shoulders, a scowl evident on his face.

“Park Chanyeol, pay attention!” Siwon leered. He then turned to the boy with the head of wavy auburn locks, childishly swinging a bat like the one Chanyeol was holding loosely in his own hand.

“CHO KYUHYUN!” the boy in question turned his head in the general direction, features almost forming a half look of shock as if he’d done nothing wrong. Siwon narrowed his eyes at him. “Why are you trying to unseat our other beater?”

Chanyeol then began to glare at Kyuhyun too with almost as much, if not more intensity than Siwon. He had sent a bludger at him when he was least cautioned, after all.

Soon bored by yet another of Siwon and Kyuhyun’s never-ending arguments, Chanyeol risked another side long glance, and his attention was instantly taken once again by the pale boy with the soft blonde hair flying around in the wind and up in the air…

He sighed. Oh Sehun was beautiful. Not just ‘beautiful’, but beautiful. Beautiful, as in he made the drab Slytherin-green cloaks (that shouldn’t be anything near fashionable) look dazzling. Beautiful, as his eyes crinkled up to the prettiest little curves. Beautiful, as his cheeks pushed up when he smiled. Beautiful, the dainty manner in which he swiftly caught the quaffle, long pretty fingers wrapped around it…

Chanyeol slapped himself on the side of his face. The sound rang out in a horrifyingly loud smack, but looking around nobody seemed to have heard or seen anything. Kyuhyun was still hotly retorting to Siwon’s snaps, Key whining on and on to an increasingly bored Jia, Seungri circling twenty feet above their heads, eyes darting this way and that for the golden snitch.

But no one else really mattered to him, because when Chanyeol looked back at Sehun, his heart plummeted to see him chatting animatedly to the one female player in the team, while Key had moved on to checking himself out in the pocket mirror he always kept with him. All of a sudden, Chanyeol’s heart gave a weird tug, and not the same type he got when Sehun flashed him a smile. This time, the feeling brought his eyebrows together in a frowning knot, plastering a grimace on his face, and Chanyeol resigned himself to clenching his fists until his knuckles turned white and grinding his teeth in order to stop himself from whacking just about anything with the bat he was holding.

Why? He seethed in his head. How much would it take for him to just look at me?

Jia was going for it, long black hair streaming behind her, quaffle lodged firmly between her arm and the dip of her waist, other hand clenched around the neck of her broom, eyes fixed solely on the hoops at the end of the pitch. Siwon trained his eyes on Jia’s death grip on the quaffle.

A chorus or cheers greeted her as she scored, Siwon’s eye gave a twitch.

He was obviously in a terrible mood. He’d argued with Kyuhyun for almost half of practice, Seungri having to intervene to make sure they got back to playing before the whole session was wasted. He was red in the face, vein in his temple pounding while Kyuhyun, on the other hand, looked unfazed; though the way he almost smashed the bat with his hit on the bludger gave him away. The dark aura surrounding him and the glower he was shooting everywhere just screamed ‘danger’.

Though to be fair Chanyeol wasn’t much better off.

Throughout practice, he’d been getting increasingly frustrated. The number of times he’d save Key’s pretty or even his bratty beater companion from being unseated by a bludger, and still ignored was driving him crazy.

Of course, not by everyone else-there were congratulations on particularly good hits, and whistles at close calls…but it wasn’t what Chanyeol was so desperately craving.

Sehun seemed blind to everything going on in practice with the exception of his friends, but after considering the range of friend he was acting himself around, it only infuriated Chanyeol more—that he couldn’t have it.

Chanyeol wanted Sehun’s eyes on him. Chanyeol wanted Sehun’s reactions to every move he made. Chanyeol wanted Sehun’s sweet congratulations like he gave to the rest of the team, or telling him he was watching his hits…Chanyeol wanted Sehun’s attention.

Sehun, and Sehun only.

Chanyeol couldn’t have care less about how he crashed straight into Seungri, interrupting his dive when he’d probably seen the snitch and receiving a loud string of curses thrown at him in result. Sehun told the seeker he was sure he would get it soon.

Or maybe that time Kyuhyun almost knocked Chanyeol off his broom when the latter dived into the path of a bludger sent at Sehun; Sehun had turned, looking pleasantly surprised, only to mutter a small thanks before diving off again. Chanyeol had scowled, wincing and continuing to clutch his head in pain.

But Chanyeol really didn’t mean it when one furious swing of his bat ended in Sehun with a broken nose.

He just wanted…some attention. Perhaps he would have been able to receive even an annoyed look thrown at him from the cute blonde if the bludger had narrowly missed his shoulder…but the ball went zooming straight for Sehun’s face instead.

“OH MY .” Chanyeol screamed, eyes wide as saucers, immediately dropping his bat and letting it fall. ‘ OH MY GOSH SEHUN I’M SO SORRY!” he shrieked apologies and swears all the way down from the air to the ground where Sehun lay.

He was beside Sehun in an instant. Sehun was holding his sleeve up to his nose and even without seeing any of the damage, Chanyeol could tell with the gradual dark splotches of blood appearing on Sehun’s robes and the great deal of wincing that he had screwed up terribly this time.

“Ohhhhhh ,” Chanyeol hissed, widening in horror and worry, cupping Sehun’s face in his palms in a rush of concern. Sehun froze. Chanyeol didn’t bother with celebrating that he had finally been noticed—it came at a terrible price. “Oh no no no no, I’m so ing sorry Sehun-ah…oh what was I thinking I’m so sorry that looks really bad, does it hurt a lot? we need to get you up to the hostpital wing, -

Sehun was smiling at him.

Or, what Chanyeol could only perceive as a smile with his usual crescent eyes, reassuring him that he was fine, though his face contorted in pain soon after. Chanyeol was halted in another bout of ranting guilt-riddled swearing when the rest of the team swooped down to land on the grass around them.

Chanyeol didn’t wait for Siwon to say anything.

He abandoned his broom, kicking it aside where he though Jia might be nice enough to pick it up for him and didn’t miss a single beat in sliding his arms under Sehun’s body and lifting him up bridal-style.

Sehun gave a little gasp of surprise, red cheeks hidden behind a bloodied sleeve, quickly latching his spare arm around Chanyeol’s neck as not to fall off as the giant of a man set off running at an unbelievable speed across the grass and up the steps of the castle.

Chanyeol’s breath was becoming heavier and harsher with each step, Sehun could hear the ragged intakes he was gasping, see the sweat glistening on his neck, feel the muscles in Chanyeol’s arms tremble with prolonged strain, but he didn’t stop—sprinting up the long, winding stairs to the Hospital Wing three at a time with his blessed long legs, and crashed through the wooden doors with a well-aimed kick.

“Madam…Pomfrey,” Chanyeol attempted to shout best he could through shallow breaths and burning lungs. He turned his head away from Sehun to cough, clearing the raspiness from his voice and called again, “MADAM POMFREY!”

She came running out of her office, looking unfazed by Sehun’s condition. She motioned towards a bed, which Chanyeol gently put Sehun down in despite the trembling of his arms. Chanyeol was wheezing, but that didn’t shut him up—nothing really shut Park Chanyeol up.

“Sehun…Sehun, he…I…Se-“

But this time, the hush Madam Pomfrey sent at him really did quiet him. She was tending to Sehun, and he wanted Sehun’s nose to be fixed…Chanyeol felt terribly bad, and didn’t want to think of any of the outcomes. He would never forgive himself if anything happened to Sehun.

It took him a little time to realise that he was about to step over the very fine line bordering to hyperventilation; his breath hadn’t calmed, not in the slightest. If anything it had sped up, His chest was constricting painfully.

“Sehun-ah,” he rushed to the bed, clasping one of Sehun’s hands with both his own, large eyes swimming in concern and (for the most part) guilt, “Oh my gosh I’m really sorry I shouldn’t have—”

He was promptly shoved out, the curtains drawn around the bed to block him out.

 

As soon as Madam Pomfrey emerged to draw back the curtains around the bed, Chanyeol pounced on hope, eyes wide, jaw hanging open dumbly.

“Is he alright? Nothing went wrong, right? His nose is back—back to normal I mean— right? I can see him now can’t I? When—”

And then he was shut up once again.

“Aren’t you that boy who comes by every time a student vanished a bone or sprouts antlers?”

Chanyeol gaped. Was his reputation really that bad? Well, it was true that every time something went wrong he had been sent (as the villain, of course) to his and Jongdae’s poor victims up to the hospital wing, soon followed by detention.

“Er…yeah?”

Madam Pomfrey gave him a scorching look from behind her spectacles, eyeing him up and down. He withered under her judgemental gaze.

“Well, you may visit him now, he’s all good to go,” but just as Chanyeol reached the point of euphoria, dashing half-way to the bed, his large ears caught something else that she said.

“It’s the first time I’ve ever seen you so genuinely anxious for the one who suffers from your actions…don’t know why you would when I’ve seen far worse from you…”

Chanyeol froze, face going red and spluttering. He managed to blurt out a loud, “IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!” before hurrying to Sehun’s bedside, face still burning.

“S-Sehun-ah, are you okay? Does it hurt? Did Madam Pomfrey fix your nose up okay? Is it—”

Chanyeol thought dimly that he’d never been shut up so much in such a short space of time, but then the thought were blocked out by a wave of furious heart throbs as Sehun placed a long, pretty finger to Chanyeol’s lips.

“Hyung, I’m fine, don’t worry about it, okay?”

Chanyeol nodded silently just as the rest of the team trudged in.

“Sehun, are you okay? Are you feeling better now?”

The rest of the day was filled with Choi Siwon’s anger, Kyuhyun’s menace and Chanyeol’s red-faced silent shrieking in joy over the guilt still lodged in the back of his mind.

********************************************

Chanyeol poked his head out from behind a shelf of books, gazing avidly at the small cluster of tables where a group of fourth years were completing their herbology homework. Look at his face. His hair as he leaned down, the way it bounced as he looked back up. The way his eyes squished when he smiled….

“Hey Chanyeol, what you doing?” Jongdae popped out of nowhere, slapping a hand on his back. Chanyeol yelped in surprise and promptly fell down, dragging a few books along the way. Everyone in the immediate vicinity turned to stare at Chanyeol, including Sehun and his fellow fourth years. Jongdae hurriedly stuffed the books back into their place and dragged a blank-eyed Chanyeol into a couple of nearby armchairs, flinging him and his friend into them just as Madam Pince stormed over to see who had dared to make such a sound. The fourth years turned hastily back to their work and after scowling at everyone she could lock her eyes on, the librarian stalked back out of sight.

“So,” Jongdae started when he was sure they wouldn’t be overheard by the librarian, “what were you doing anyway?” Chanyeol didn’t answer. He just sat there looking hopelessly lost and increasingly upset while Jongdae stared confusedly at him when suddenly; Chanyeol covered his face in his hands and gave a long, muffled wail.

“What is it?” Jongdae asked.

“I just totally embarrassed myself.”

“You embarrass yourself on a daily basis.”

Chanyeol instantly raised his face from his large eyes, eyes that were widening to the brim in a look of utter horror.

DO I?! DO I REALLY??” and he groaned again into his hands. Jongdae blinked at him. He couldn’t remember his friend ever being dumber, although multiple occasions had made clear the gap between their intelligence, but he was genuinely afraid at the amount of brain cells Chanyeol may just have lost; I mean, the whole school knew Chanyeol embarrassed himself at least once every 24 hours. But he didn’t voice this just now, thinking it could come across as insensitive.

However it didn’t pass Jongdae’s eagle-sharp senses when later on Chanyeol stood up quite abruptly just as the fourth-year study group were packing up, taking the long way past them across countless more tables and to the exit. Chanyeol whipped his head back around when he thought Jongdae wasn’t looking, giving a quick last-minute gaze at a particular Slytherin fourth year, eyes widening and jaw slacking slightly. Jongdae’s mouth formed a round “O” as he realised what was going on.

Of course, his crush.

Park Chanyeol returned to the Slytherin common room particularly early that night, leaving Jongdae alone in the emptying corridors with only Peeves for company.

***************************************************************************************

Chanyeol craned his neck, easily looking over the heads of all the students in line, large hopeful eyes searching for a particular blonde head of wind-swept hair, his permission note crumpling under his fidgeting fingers. Jongdae blinked up at him, standing on tiptoe to see whatever his best friend was trying to catch a glimpse of. Noticing that Jongdae was following his line of vision, Chanyeol quickly looked back down and waited sullenly to get his name marked off before heading towards Hogsmead, Jongdae chatting avidly about Fwoopers at his side. His words about insanity and birdsong went into one large ear and straight out of the other—he gave the occasional hum of approval, however his mind couldn’t have been further away from the conversation.

“—and they’re exclusive to Africa, which totally , because if I could get my hands on one of them—“

Oh my god the snow looks beautiful in his blonde hair…

“—though I might have to tape up its beak, won’t I? Don’t want to lose my brilliant intelligence…”

Oh wooooow, his pale skin looks so crisp and soft, like why is he so pale? I swear he’s no darker than the snow…

“—though that’s entirely different from Jobberknolls, they never sing—“

HIS LIPS. They’re so pretty, and bright red from the cold… like a rose in snow… they look so nice… I just wanna—

“…Chanyeol? Were you listening to me?”

“Huh?” his mouth was hanging slackly and it took him a moment to realise there was a streak of drool just about to escape from the corner of his lip and to his chin.

“Wha-oh right, yes, yes of course I was!” he says, hastily wiping his mouth with a sleeve

Jongdae’s eyebrow twitched, though it’s quickly concealed within a smile.

“OH! Oh, did you bring enough money for Zonko’s? You didn’t forget, did you? Of course, we’re going there, we never get enough Hogsmead trips to….”

But even as Jongdae continued rambling, he let his eyes sneak occasionally back to Chanyeol to find him in a hilarious daze, eyes half-closed and a look of pure dreaminess on his face. Looking ahead, he noticed some of the studying fourth years back in the library a few days back, a Slytherin one raising his furry mitten-clad hand to shield his face from a snowball one of his friends had pegged at him, laughing. Jongdae looked back at Chanyeol to find him wearing a soft smile, half-open eyes lidded and mouth hanging open ever so slightly, his head tilted lightly to the side, watching the boy.

Jongdae turned away just as they reached the village, smirking to himself.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Chanyeol was about a foot from the door of Honeydukes when the front door suddenly swung open from the inside, almost hitting him dead in the face.

“Oh, sorry…!”

He instantly perked up at the voice.

“N-N-No worries…” Chanyeol stammered, going red in the face and looking like he could hit himself. The fourth year Slytherin boy exited the shop with his cluster of friends.

“Oh hi Chanyeol hyung!” the boy said brightly before walking off towards The Three Broomsticks. Chanyeol raised a hand dreamily and waved at him, watching the back of his head as it vanished into the pub. Jongdae coughed and dragged his friend into the small, cramped store.

************************************************

The two of them sat inside The Three Broomsticks, clutching bottles of butterbeer and drinking in silence. Chanyeol was craning his neck and staring around the whole pub like a meerkat, and Jongdae could guess what, or who, he was looking for.

“Hey Chan. Chanyeol. Chanyeol~,” Jongdae waved a hand in front of his face. Chanyeol blinked then looked at Jongdae distractedly

“Wha-?”

“What are you looking for?”

“What? Oh, oh nothing! Nothing…” Jongdae stopped his lips from curling up.

“Are you looking for that boy again?”

“What?” he asked sharply, “What boy?”

“Oh Sehun.” Chanyeol blushed.

“No! Why would I be looking for him?” Jongdae stared amusedly at his friend and then leaned in.

"Why don't you just ask him out Park?" his face reddened even more, spreading to his ears and down his neck so that he looked like he had been badly sunburnt.

“Wha-No! I don't want to ask him out, why would I want to ask him out? I'm fine the way we are.” he stammered.

Jongdae gave him a quelling look.

“Really, I don’t!” he insisted. Jongdae could tell he was lying, but let it slide. There were other ways to do this. Jongdae pretended to look over his companion’s shoulder and said,

“Oh look, there’s the boy over there.” Chanyeol whipped his head around so suddenly that his neck gave a loud crack of pain. Rubbing his neck, he turned back grumpily to Jongdae who was supressing giggles. At that moment, a loud laugh made Chanyeol stop his glaring at Jongdae and look around again. Two tables away, previously blocked by a tall group of wizards was the boy, laughing and talking to his friends. Chanyeol’s whole face seemed to loosen. Jongdae let out a snort which he could not supress. Chanyeol tore his eyes away with what seemed like an effort.

“I am NOT going to ask him out! I…I needed to ask him a question about Quidditch…” he ended feebly.

“Well why don’t you go ask him then?” prompted Jongdae.

“I-I…forgot. What I was going to ask him…” Chanyeol replied in what Jongdae though was a pathetic manner. Again though, he let it slide.

A few minutes later the boy stood up to leave and Chanyeol got to his feet abruptly too. Jongdae, amused, stood up and walked behind Chanyeol, who was walking faster than normal so that they crossed at the door out to the pub. Jongdae walked a few paces behind Chanyeol, listening to the boy who was chatting to him avidly. Jongdae didn’t say anything as he followed his friends and the group of fourth years to outside of a small pet shop that had recently opened up.

Jongdae ran his eyes over the two, the corners of his lips curling up. The way Chanyeol acted was totally hilarious, although one wrong move right now and it would be far from funny when Chanyeol caught up with him later.

Sehun decided it was too crowded to go in with his friends and Chanyeol enthusiastically volunteered to keep him company. Feeling that his presence wouldn’t do anyone any favours, Jongdae said something about homework and walked off back to the castle, but he didn’t think Chanyeol heard him.

****************************************************************

Chanyeol couldn’t believe it. He was standing next to Sehun, just the two of them, alone. He could almost feel the amazingness radiating out of him and hitting Chanyeol with a spell so strong it was hard to look away from that face, those eyes sparkling, those lips moving…

Sehun blinked. “Chanyeol hyung?”

With a jolt, Chanyeol abruptly snapped out of his embarrassing reverie, blushing scarlet.

“Huh…? Y-yeah?” he used up every ounce of his self-control to keep his arms bound to his side and not come up to slap himself across the face. Subtle. Very subtle Park Chanyeol. A subtle mass of 185cm sticking up from the snow, face and ears an extremely subtle tone of bright red.

Sehun flashed him a completely unexpected smile; one that made his heart flutter all the way from his thumping chest into his stomach, churning his insides. The jumbled contents of his brain was just managing to hold together every thought involving Sehun, warning himself against doing anything because in that moment, even Sehun’s breathing seemed to muck up his insides.

“Nothing hyung.” Sehun chuckled, eyes curving. “Aww, look at you hyung, your ears must be cold they’re sticking right up!” he gave a breathy laugh, breath fogging up in the air and cutely tilted his head to one side, grinning.

“They look funny, kinda like bat wings. Oh look,” Sehun turned to see his friends exiting the shop, “gotta go now, maybe I’ll see you around later Chanyeol hyung!”

Sehun walked away brightly, his hair whipping around in the snow, bouncing off to join his friends, leaving Chanyeol standing there, face and ears burning so much they would probably start melting the snow that was steadily falling on his cap.

**************************************************************************************

Chanyeol flopped down, grumpy faced and arms crossed.

“What is it this time?” Jongdae asked, looking up from some hand-written notes.

“Why do I have to have such big. Stupid. Ears!”

Jongdae stared in confusion. Then he realised what this was about.

“Oh~. Sehun?”

Chanyeol groaned.

“What did he insult your ears?”

Chanyeol sniffed pitifully, burying his face into his hands

“Aww” Jongdae attempted to adopt what he hoped was a sympathetic tone, “What did he say about them?”

But all Chanyeol did was continue his . “BIG. STUPID. EARS.

“Shh!” Jongdae hushed. He didn’t want to get told off for the second time in an hour by Madame Pince—the first time he was practicing his charms on a book, but it fell from mid-air and smacked him directly in the face, something that he did not want to bring up to Chanyeol. But the familiar mischievous glint was returning to his eyes and his brain was starting to whir.

Jongdae grinned.

“I could help with that.”

Chanyeol sat bolt upright, eyes widening in hope.

“Really??” Jongdae almost snorted out in laughter at the slightly pathetic enthusiasm of his friend.

“Really.” He assured his friend, “I can make your ears smaller. Trust me, it’ll be like a whole new pair.”

**********************************************************

Chanyeol pulled his beanie more tightly over his head, scurrying as fast as his long legs would take him down the corridors and towards the hospital wing. I swear if I ever get hold of Jongdae I’ll grab his head and sm-

“Chanyeol hyung!” he jumped in shock and panic, recognising the voice instantly.

‘Uh, h-hi S-Sehun!” The blonde-haired boy ran over to him cheerfully.

“What are you doing? I can’t wait for Quidditch this evening, we haven’t practiced in ages because of the weather.” He grinned up at Chanyeol.

Chanyeol gulped.

“Uhh…you know what? I might not make it….” He faked a cough into the bundle of scarves he had wrapped around his neck, hoping he might use them as a last resort if his beanie didn’t work in hiding his ears. “I sort of, um, must’ve caught something that day in Hogsmead, you know?”

To Chanyeol’s surprise, a crease formed between Sehun’s eyebrows, almost as if he were worried.

“Oh, wel…that’s not good, is it?” He flashed Chanyeol a strange half-sympathetic smile through pursed lips. “Well then…I’ll…I guess I’ll just see you around some other time then…”

In that moment all of Chanyeol’s problems about his ears seemed to jump out of the window and into the Lake to be gobbled up by the Giant Squid. Sehun was worrying about him and, Chanyeol hoped it wasn’t just his imagination, he could swear he detected a hint of disappointment in Sehun’s voice as he spoke. He felt positively euphoric right now.

“Yeah, sorry about that.” Chanyeol raised his hand to scratch his head awkwardly and his precariously-placed beanie dropped over his eyes. He heard Sehun giggle and felt pressure on his nose as he pulled the beanie back up, too high up on his head so that his ears came into view.

“H-hyung!” Chanyeol squeaked, pulling the beanie back down. And before Sehun could do anything more, Chanyeol sprinted down the rest of the corridor and turned the corner, shrivelled ears burning bright red.

*********************************************************

“I’m sorry.”

“You made me look like a complete idiot.”

“Madam Pompfrey fixed them perfectly fine, you even made it to Quidditch practice!”

“Yeah, the whole practice he was staring at me funny!”

“How do you know if you didn’t even look at him through it?”

“I could see it out of the corner of my eye and his head kept following me around.” Chanyeol moaned and sunk lower into the armchair. “He must have been judging me so badly.”

“Your ears didn’t look that bad.” Chanyeol shot Jongdae a dangerous look.

“You shrivelled up my ears. You shrivelled them. They looked like stupid little bits of pink flappy stuff on the side of my head!”

Jongdae was about to comment that his normal ears looked like that apart from the fact that they weren’t ‘little’, but thought that he would be stretching his luck.

“I said I was sorry man.”

Chanyeol gave him a pitiful smile, burying his face in his arms.

“How am I ever going to look at him in the face again?”

Jongdae sat there, awkwardly patting his friend’s back and looking around the library. His eyes fell on a certain blonde head.

“Hey look, it’s Sehun. I think he’s coming towards us.”

Chanyeol lifted his head with the speed of a whip to notice that his friend was right; Sehun was walking towards him and Jongdae, waving at them in a friendly manner.

Jongdae barely realized Chanyeol was bolting towards the library exit until his long legs had already carried him hallway there, speeding past the fourth year boy Oh Sehun who blinked confusedly, and then turned back around to walk out of the library slowly.

______________________________________________________________

A/N

Chanyeol is a stupid loverboy who needs to go jump in the lake and be cuddled to death by the giant squid

he's basically had a huge crush on Sehun ever since he set foot in the school okay

Just as a spare thought does anyone want word counts at the beginning or chapters? Because I love word counts but thats because i tend to read alot of one/twoshots

~Unicorn