Chapter 21-Halloween PT.4

H-POP

e4wPairing(s); xiuchen, a bit of seyeol

Rating/Notes; PG aside from swearing?


 

“JONGDAE YOU !”

“Good morning to you too Chanyeol,” Jongdae nods at him absentmindedly, striding to the Great Hall with his tie missing and half of his shirt collar flipped up, clearly not yet awake.

“GOOD MORNING MY , WHAT DID YOU DO TO SEHUNNIE KIM JONGDAE?”

“Sehun?” Jongdae repeats blankly, eyes focusing on a sixth year Hufflepuff with round cheeks and cute eyes rather than the giant in front of him as he steps into the Great Hall, steps slightly halting. “What… about Sehun?” Jongdae mumbles, eyes looking a little more awake, and hastily pats down his collar and runs his fingers through his hair.

“WHY DID HE COME BACK TO THE DORM MUMBLING ABOUT DRAGONS?”

Jongdae freezes for a moment, before bursting out into a fit of giggling.

“JONGDAE YOU DICKHEAD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HIM?”

“Calm down lover boy, be glad I didn’t scare him even more. I didn’t know he had a potions class at that time.” Jongdae waves him off, turning to walk down the Slytherin table, Chanyeol huffing after him.

“He could’ve gotten hurt! Why did you bring in a ing dragon??” Chanyeol grumbles, plonking down in his usual seat.

“Chill dude, it wasn’t a real dragon,” Jongdae rolls his eyes, sitting down next to him with a small sigh, beginning to pile the scrambled eggs onto his plate. “I just happened to be so marvellously skilled that it seemed so.”

Chanyeol sneers, but really couldn’t do anything else but give his best friend the stink eye. Not even Jongdae knew that Sehun’s class was going to be the class that runs in with his prank after all. “What did Professor McGonagall want with you?”

“She still wants to know my secret,” Jongdae sighs, taking a bite of his toast. The head mistress had plucked Jongdae out of dinner last night, sitting him down and questioning him about the invisible dragon. Jongdae simply shrugged and said he had looked into the Weasley’s Headless Hat. “I aint telling her that . I made it. I have the right to keep it to myself,” Jongdae grumbles before stuffing his face.

Chanyeol hums, before his eyes shift over Jongdae’s head, and he nearly chokes on his own eggs.

“Jongdae you have a spider on you!!” Chanyeol grabs his plate, and wacks Jongdae over the head with it.

“OW YOU ,” Jongdae yelps, clutching his hair at the top of his head, the black strands ruffled (as usual but slightly more so than usual). “I KNEW THERE WAS A ING SPIDER OFF.”

“Sorry,” Chanyeol grins, sheepish, before turning back to his food, and watching as a spider drops right into his goblet. He whips his head up, stretching out his neck to peer at the sky, which turned suddenly stormy, lightning flashing across the ceiling and thunder booming around the hall. “What the , it was sunny literally a moment ago,” he says, turning to Jongdae, who shrugs non-committedly, eating with one hand. His other hand is wielding his wand on his lap.

Then it starts raining. Chanyeol notices this not because of the sounds of pattering, but because Chanyeol feels something drop on him. Multiple things drop on him.

Chanyeol feels little legs scurry over his shoulders and down his neck and he shouts, flailing, as much as everyone else does—looking around with his hands in his hair and eyes wide, desperately hoping there are no creepy crawlies in the birds nest atop his head, Chanyeol realises that yes, it is raining spiders from the enchanted sky, and the little black menaces are dropping down everywhere. In food, on clothes, in hair, in mouths, holy .

He turns, watching Jongdae very, very casually pick a small spider off his fringe, dropping the arachnid down to the floor where it scuttles away—Chanyeol can see students firing all sorts of random spells, shots of light darting across the Great Hall. Then he sees Sehun.

“S-Sehun ah,” Chanyeol swallows his mouthful of food, talking over Jongdae’s head. “Um.”

Sehun turns, trying to swat away a spider stubbornly clinging onto the edge of his sleeve, and Chanyeol grabs a near-by soup ladle and reaches over Jongdae’s head, swiping the butterfly from the top of Sehun’s head in the ladle.

Sehun takes one glance at the butterfly that Chanyeol has now caught in his palms, and shrieks, stumbling to his feet and sprinting away from the Slytherin table and out of the Great Hall.

Chanyeol starts towards the direction Sehun took, concern laced all over his features, before a quiet snicker breaks him out of his worry, and promptly smacks his snorting best friend on the head with the ladle, cursing Jongdae to the ends of the Earth and back.

“KIM JONGDAE HOW DARE YOU, YOU KNOW HE HATES BUTTERFLIES!”

 

Chanyeol’s still a little peeved about it by the time Jongdae drags him down the stairs, not caring if Chanyeol trips and almost falls on his face because of the faulty step, to the first year History of Magic class.

He almost jumps out of his skin when a high-pitched shriek passes past his ear, a very cold chill coursing through his body; looking down, Chanyeol shouts, watching the silvery body of Myrtle pass through him.

“Myrtle!” Jongdae greets with a wide smile and warm eyes, the ghost giggling horrendously back.

“Hi Jongdae,” she bats her eyes at the Ravenclaw. “I’m honoured you invited me.”

“Great,” Jongdae laughs, and to Chanyeol’s utter confusion, they’re suddenly joined by a bunch more floating translucent bodies, chattering in the air.

“Jongdae,” the ghost Chanyeol recognises as Nearly-Headless-Nick from Gryffindor house greets, bowing graciously.

“Hello Nick,” Jongdae grins, before gesturing towards the closed door of the history classroom. “Whenever you’re ready.”

Before any of the ghostly forms could move, a loud whoop passes them in the air, and Peeves swoops through the wall, and the screams of shocked first years follow soon after.

Taking this as their cue, the four house ghosts and company stream through the walls and into the classroom, and chaos ensues.

Jongdae leans on the door, motioning for Chanyeol to do the same.

“What is this?” the taller says with wide eyes, listening to various things breaking and whoops from the ghosts and screams from the kids.

“Just getting Professor Binns to loosen up a little,” Jongdae shrugs.

Chanyeol gapes. “How—how did you manage to get Myrtle??”

“I’ve been visiting her. I let her play with my patronus in the sewers and I’ve been keeping her company in her toilet.” Jongdae smiles, shrugging nonchalantly again. “I think she likes me.”

 


 

Nothing much more happens—unless you count charming the suits of armour, of course.

If they are touched in any way, be it someone shoved into them, or a mere scrape of the ends of a sleeve against them, they spring to life, wielding their swords, running after anyone and everyone.

Minseok, however, unfortunately, managed to live a normal day without an run-ins with suits of armour, and figured he could go on a trip down to the kitchens—maybe Jongdae would be there?

But Minseok does not have Filch’s route memorised, so when he thinks he hears footsteps, the poor boy jumps behind a suit of armour, peering around it.

Unfortunately, the thing starts moving, and Minseok dodges just fast enough to avoid the sword the armour is wielding, and scrambles down the corridor as fast as he could, with the armour clanking loudly behind him. The charmed thing runs surprisingly faster than he expected, the banging of metal against metal reverberating around the hallways as Minseok pelts down the corridor in his attempts to lose the armour.

Suddenly, Minseok sees lamplight around the corner ahead.

“Who’s there?”

, Minseok pants, glancing around to see the armour coming down the corridor right after him, before a hand wraps itself around his wrist, and he was suddenly tugged into the shadows.

Before he even had the time to gasp, a set of doors fall closed behind him, and he was being ushered up a dark flight of stairs, and he could not see his saviour for the life of him until the stairs stop, and he finds his way blocked by a brick wall.

Suddenly, light from the other person’s wand-point brightens the space, but what truly terrified Minseok was the fact that the wand was floating. There is no one there.

His eyes go wide, heart hammering up in his throat, before suddenly a very, very familiar throaty chuckle seeps the fear out of his system.

Something slips like fabric, and then the wand is illuminating Jongdae’s grinning face. Minseok glances down at the fabric that’s now vanishing Jongdae’s arm, and rapidly blinks at the turn of events.

“Is—is that an invisibility cloak?” Minseok stutters, Jongdae barking out a loud laugh in response.

“You’re welcome,” he chuckles, shoving his wand momentarily in Minseok’s hands so he could fold up his cloak and tuck it safely in the many inner pockets of his uniform, briefly revealing his shirt with the first five buttons ed, and his tie missing, as usual.

Jongdae turns back to Minseok, with one eyebrow raised, and Minseok hands him his wand back before lighting his own wand. “Where are we?”

“This leads out to the transfiguration corridor,” Jongdae says as he pulls back a sleeve, using his wand to light up the golden face of his watch. “Filch should have moved to the dungeons by now, but since he almost caught you, I reckon we’re safer to camp out here a little longer.”

Minseok eyes him as he sits himself down behind the curtains, patting the floor next to him—Minseok follows, but not before checking the space for any rats.

He feels Jongdae’s eyes on the side of his face, before the Ravenclaw’s voice sounds next to him. “You’re so late today,” Jongdae’s smiling when Minseok glances at him. “Fancied a morning snack?”

When Minseok doesn’t respond, blinking dumbly at him, Jongdae shoves his watch in his face, Minseok’s eyes crossing to recognise the hour hand a little past 2.

Minseok swats at his wrist before Jongdae swiftly catches Minseok’s hand with his spare hand. Minseok stares at his hand, caught with Jongdae’s fingers. He didn’t let him go, though. He lifts his eyes from staring at Jongdae’s hand clasping his own to look at him.

Jongdae is staring at him. Like the awkward little baozi he is, Minseok shifts his eyes away from Jongdae’s face, slapping his hand away from holding his. Jongdae lets their hands drop.

Minseok shivers a little, pressing himself further into the stone walls around them. The way Jongdae doesn’t drop his fixed gaze on him made his skin crawl in discomfort.

Jongdae should have sensed it too—he must’ve, Minseok thought—since Jongdae pulls back a moment later, clearing his throat softly in the silence.

“W-why haven’t you gone back?” Minseok ends up stuttering out, eyes focused back on the curve of Jongdae’s lips as he pulls his sleeve back over his watch.

“If I go back, and my trap is activated, who will come to the rescue, like the charming knight in shining armour should do?” he quirks his lips, then grins wide.

Minseok blinks around the irony. “Y-YOUR TRAP?”

Jongdae’s only responds with a giggle. “Do you think anyone else would be able to get away with stuff like that? Honestly, I’m surprised it took you so long to be caught in it,” Jongdae’s grinning, absent-mindedly waving his wand around. “It was on all day.”

He walks Minseok back to his common room, insisting “what if I need to heroically come to the rescue again?”, but Minseok keeps a good distance away from him.

“Was the raining spiders your doing too?” Minseok ventures, wondering why he’s even surprised when Jongdae grins and shrugs. “How??”

Jongdae shudders, remembering pointing his wand as threateningly as possible at Felicia at an ungodly hour in the morning before breakfast, shouting “NO DON’T EAT THE SPIDERS GODDAMN IT FELICIA” and “STAY STILL SO I CAN PUT THE SPELL ON Y—ALL YOU FEATHERY DEMONS, STAY STILL!” at the owls in the owlery.

He shakes his head, flashing Minseok a small smile. “With a lot of cursing on my part and a lot of screeching on their part.”

The elder his head to one side, confusion written all over his face.

 

Unfortunately, Minseok sneaks back into his dorm, closing the door behind him as quietly as he can, but screams at the top of his voice upon tugging back his covers and finding a very large snake writhing around on his slippery sheets.

Joonmyeon startles awake, lighting up the room, and transfiguring the snake into a large vase before lecturing the out of Minseok for a good half an hour.

What Minseok doesn’t know, is that the head mistress gets multiple complaints about snakes on and under beds for the next few nights, from all four houses.

Jongdae, however, spends the next nights leading up to Halloween painting in his room under wand-light.

By all means, Jongdae isn’t an incredibly amazing artist, but more often than not, he pulls out a large mirror from under his trunk. Then he’d whisper his brother’s name in the dead of the night, hoping Kyungsoo doesn’t hear him, and watches as Jonghyun’s face appears in the mirror, groggy and blinking sleep away.

“Jonghyun,” he’d say, grinning wide at Jonghyun’s whinges about lack of sleep. “Help me. How do I fix the icing on the cake here?”

So Jonghyun’s forced into helping Jongdae with his ty food painting—which Jonghyun doesn’t mind, because he knows what Jongdae’s going to do with it, but if he was called through the mirror at a less ridiculous hour, he’d be a little more eager to help.

Jongdae finishes it the day before Halloween, escaping the common room and casually trotting down to the kitchens as normally as one could, with a large canvas of painting under one arm, navigating the dark corridors well after curfew.

Close to the kitchens he stops, taking out his wand and adhering the very large framed canvas to the wall with nothing but a few whispers under his breath.

Jongdae then approaches the Fat Lady of Gryffindor first.

“Hello!”

She turns, looking him up and down, taking in his blue robes, and clearly not appreciating a visit at 11 PM when she’s ready to sleep. Jongdae smiles though.

“No, I’m not going into the Gryffindor common room. I just wanted to let you know that I’ve provided a little feast for everyone in the paintings, since it’s Halloween.” This piques the Fat Lady’s interest. “I put it down in the corridor next to the kitchens, since I figured it wouldn’t be fair if we got a Halloween feast and you guys didn’t, right?” Jongdae’s lips curve in a sickly-sweet manner. “Bring your friends, there should be enough for everybody. Enjoy!”

He passes the same message onto the painting that he encounters on the way back to his own common room- and by the next day all the portraits were suddenly missing. This, of course, was more of an idle mystery rather than an inconvenience for most of the students and teachers of the school, who found themselves speculating to each other about where all the painted inhabitants could have gone. it WAS, however, a tremendous inconvenience to a certain red and gold house, who found that nobody could get back into their common room after coming back from breakfast the next morning.

No one finds out where all the portraits have gone to until a professor overhears the chattering of some portraits coming back from the feast in the afternoon.

 


 

Jongdae joins his tall best friend after he comes up from a quick visit to the elves in the kitchens, and they saunter into the Great Hall together, Chanyeol looking up at the lightning flashing across the enchanted sky and the floating pumpkins, glowing ominously.

As they sit, a swarm of live bats swoop in from the walls and ceiling and over the tables, students shrieking as they flap around the houses.

They seat themselves in their respective houses for the Halloween feast, Jongdae pouting, incessantly poking Kyungsoo in the side during McGonagall’s talk.

Kyungsoo, focused on the head mistress’s speech, covers his side protectively with his hand, and doesn’t notice Jongdae’s pokes stopping until a series of bangs go off just as McGonagall is about to sit—the many, many pumpkins floating overhead explode, releasing cockroaches that must’ve been held in the pumpkins, pumpkin innards and shards exploding everywhere.

Kyungsoo gets a few pumpkin seeds flicked into his hair, but upon looking around, realises that he’s probably not the most unfortunate. Almost an entire pumpkin was over top of Professor Trelawny, Professor Hagrid messily removing the pumpkin from atop her head with his large hands; the Slytherin tables seems to be infested with cockroaches, and Kyungsoo spies Chanyeol with strings of pumpkin flesh stuck in his hair, and cockroaches crawling all over the rest of him. Then he catches Jongdae’s line of sight, and turns, finding 6th year Hufflepuff Kim Minseok in the same state as Professor Trelawny, with an entire pumpkin on his lap, pumpkin juice sticking to his face and eyelashes.

Minseok glances up to meet Jongdae’s smirk, and watches in horror as the Ravenclaw spears a stray cockroach with his fork before popping it into his mouth. He stares, Jongdae mouthing ‘Cockroach clusters’ at him, before watching even Do Kyungsoo pick up a cockroach, sniffing in disdain before taking a tentative bite. He doesn’t retch, but eats the rest of it, so Minseok reckons it can’t be that bad?

Jongdae must have created his own cockroach clusters, shaped like cockroaches but made of peanuts instead of vice versa, is what Minseok thinks as he bites out of one before promptly spitting it out. No, that is very, very much cockroach, without a single trace of peanut.

Minseok grabs his goblet, downing the liquid contents in an attempt to wash out the horrible taste, but no, someone replaced his pumpkin juice with watered-down puke, and Minseok spits his entire mouthful back out into his goblet, looking a little green in the face himself.

He glances wildly around, noting how everyone else was beginning to happily eat the cockroaches on the table, before looking back at Jongdae, finding the boy bent over the table laughing unabashedly at his dismay. But at least, Minseok notes as he looks around the tables again, that other people who sip out of their goblet are met with the same fate. Yet still, he seems to be the only one who was faced with real cockroaches.

Minseok, and many others, shriek very loud when it comes the time for the main course to appear, the steak that was promised appearing on the table as a severed and very bloody arm.

Half-way through dinner, Jongdae seems to have gotten bored with his Ravenclaw friends, sneakily joining Chanyeol on the Slytherin table, and stealing some sausages.

“Jongdae, how’d you do this?” Chanyeol mumbles around his mouthful with large eyes, watching Jongdae help himself to the last few potatoes before the main course is replaced by dessert.

“I just did a few spells in the kitchens before I came up here,” Jongdae shrugs, grabbing a plate of some sort of lemon tart and putting one on his own plate before handing it to Chanyeol.

The taller quite normally grabs one and stuffs it in his mouth, Jongdae equally casually placing the plate back.

Jongdae starts eating his main course food on his plate first, chewing through his potatoes and avoiding taking a swig from his goblet, when he notices it.

He doesn’t say anything, but the corners of his lips curl a little more as he watches his best friend slowly turn more and more yellow out of the corners of his eyes.

Sehun looks up, taking a lemon tart, and frowns at Chanyeol. “Chanyeol hyung,” he starts, Chanyeol turns and oh boy, Jongdae muffles his snorts, because Chanyeol is really yellow. “Are you feeling okay? You look a little… yellow.”

Chanyeol laughs, waving Sehun off, and the yellow even masks his blush, which Jongdae takes note of, stuffing this piece of information away in a folder in his brain to write in a letter to his mum. Sehun then takes a bite out of his own tart, and by the time Chanyeol glances at him, he too, has turned a disgusting yellow. In horror, Chanyeol notices his yellow fingers, and glances around the hall, finding Professor Sinistra attempting to perform the counter-jinx for Professor Longbottom, who looks a bit like a pickled yellow radish; then there’s the Hufflepuffs, their skin seemingly melting in with their uniform, and many, many more horrified students shocked at their yellow skin.

Jongdae glances at the Gryffindor table, and notices Jonghyun and Jongin carefully avoiding the lemon tarts and the ice cream and the raspberry puffs. Dang. Mum must’ve written those two a letter too when she sent Jongdae the sweets.

Of course Kim Jong Mum didn’t need to inconvenience Felicia by sending Jongdae over 100 of each sweet, but only ten, for Jongdae to multiply in the kitchens before the Halloween feast. She wanted to know how they go, since they’re still in development and hasn’t actually been released for sale in her café, and Jongdae groans at the thought of having to give Felicia his reply letter later. She’s still a little miffed at the flying around the dropping spiders act.

Suddenly another round of screaming erupts around them, even drowning out the wailing music for the formation-ghost-gliding, as students discover that the water snakes had been replaced by real tiny snakes that hissed and bit them with tiny teeth that didn’t have any venom. But Jongdae soon realises he forgot, that no, that is not the source of the screaming.

His grin widens, finding some students screaming back at the screaming ice cream, and his eyes land on Minseok, with a spoonful of ice cream half-way to his mouth, and staring with terrified wide eyes at his incessantly screaming ice cream. Chanyeol, poor bloke, takes a spoonful out of his ice-cream before spilling the whole cup of ice cream over himself in shock when it starts screeching in apparent agony.

Jongdae watches Baekhyun nibble on a decent-looking raspberry puff, watching as the Gryffindor’s already sharp canines seem to grow. Then he pokes Luhan to ask, and the pretty boy jumps nearly a foot into the air. Jongdae loses it at Kyungsoo who’s glancing around with huge eyes, feeling his elongated canines; Jongdae himself opts for the caramel slice he knew the elves made themselves, avoiding the raspberry puff his mother sent him that intend to make the eater resemble a vampire, the red raspberry jam decorating your ‘fangs’ and lips in a blood-like way.

Though when he looks up to glance at Minseok, finding the elder with sharp teeth, he can’t help but note the glossiness of the red on Minseok’s prominent bottom lip.

 

 

Minseok lied.

Kim Jongdae is a ing jerk.

A massive ing bastard.

He had, unfortunately, thought Jongdae was a nice boy—he’d been horribly wrong.

How dare he play with food?

 

 


A/N: Happy Halloween! Hope the pranks in this are less lame...

anyway, it's already the 31st here for me, so I'm posting this now. this is the last installment of Jongdae's halloween adventures, look forward to more upcoming xiuchen and possibly other ships, but I know the upcoming xiuchen will be pretty good, and yall will like it. very very much. ;)

anyway. tootles. have a great halloween. um. trick or treat?

~bunny