Chapter 11-Reasons not to mess with Kim Jongdae Pt.2

H-POP

Kyungsoo walked into the library and looked around, trying to find a nice, isolated seat in which he could sit and finally do his homework undisturbed, and in English. Finding the perfect spot, he sat down, pulled out his potions book and nearly screamed.

Every. Single. Page of his potion book had been dog-eared, each corner folded haphazardously down in a way that make Kyungsoo want to pull his hair out. Gingerly, he opened the first page and tried to unfold the cover page back to its former glory, but even when he had tried flattening it with both his hands he could still see a distinct, traumatising line streaking through the page. After an hour and a half of unfolding each page and trying in vain to rid of the crease marks that would forever haunt his nightmares, Kyungsoo decided that he couldn’t bear to star at another page of his beloved potions book any longer and stowed it gently back in his bag, taking out instead, the thick volume on Goblin Rebellions which he had borrowed from the library. Thinking he should read over the chapter and make summary notes, Kyungsoo found page 476 and opened it to ‘Political tensions prior to the 1612 Rebellion’ and was halfway through the first sentence when he was interrupted from his attempts to study any another truly horrifying sight. The book was moving. Pages were unwinding like ribbon straight out of the book and lacing together at the centre of the page, strands of inked paper twisting and turning and wrapping back together until a large, ugly paper goblin head sat in the middle of page 476. Kyungsoo reached out cautiously to find that the goblin was very much solid, and tried to close the book again slowly to find that the tip of the goblin’s nose was crumpling under the weight of the rest of the book. Cringing, he quickly opened it again and assessed the damage done, to find the pages of his nose crumpled. He whimpered, stuck between wanting to slam the book shut and not wanting to crumple the pages of the book, Kyungsoo bored holes into the goblin with mounting anxiety before whispering ‘I’m so sorry’ and near slammed the book shut, feeling the pages crumple underneath him as though he were crushing the juices out of a bug. Shuddering, he stowed his book into his bag along with the parchment he hadn’t written on, and made his way out of the library. Why were all of his books like this? What had he done to deserve this? Was the book seeking revenge on him? Or was it some evil, twisted prank by a-

Kim Jongdae.

Kyungsoo broke into a sprint, short legs carrying him up the numerous flights of stairs until he reached Ravenclaw tower and puffed out the answer to the knocker.

“Kim…Jongdae…” He panted, bursting through the door. Nobody heard him. Lifting his head, Kyungsoo spotted his target and walked over to him, rather than running

“Kim Jongdae!” He said again, this time with a little more breath.

“Oh hey Soo! How’s it going?” Jongdae asked, not bothering to look up from his game of wizard’s chess with Yonghwa.

“I’ll tell you ‘how’s it going’, you destroying my books!”

“No idea what you’re talking about.” He replied casually, watching as his knight smashed Yonghwa’s queen off the board.  Kyungsoo growled and upturned the chess board, making the pieces squeal, and grabbed Jongdae by the shirt. Jongdae stared up at Kyungsoo, a bored and rather disdainfully.

“I’d like it if you let go of me please, Soo.” Jongdae said calmly.

“Not until you put my books back exactly the way they were before you ed them up,” Kyungsoo replied, rage showing clear through his voice, “and you’ll do it unless you want another beating.”

“Oh I wouldn’t be so sure about that. For one thing, I don’t think your books would be very happy.” Jongdae gave a smirk up to the shorter male, who stared confusedly back, until a high pitched sound emitted from the bag slung around his shoulder. He opened his bag and extracted his potions book, letting it fall opened into his palm, before dropping it in horror. Kyungsoo screamed. So did the book, wailing in apparent agony on the floor, page open to the instructions on how to make the draught of living death.  Several heads turned in the direction of a panicking short boy staring down at his screaming book.

“WHAT DID YOU DO. WHY IS IT SCREAMING. KIM JONGDAE FIX IT NOW.”

“Mmmmmm, no thanks.” Jongdae replied, looking perfectly complacent and as though his ears were not currently being insulted by a book.

“KIM JONGDAE I SWEAR I-“

“Silencio.”

Kyungsoo continued to scream, or Jongdae assumed it was screaming, he couldn’t tell since no sound was actually coming from his mouth. Smiling to himself, Jongdae bid goodnight to Yonghwa and ascended the stairs to the dorm rooms, making sure to cast defensive spells over his four-poster hangings before tucking himself in for what he knew would be another, peaceful night for Kim Jongdae.

***********************************************

Kyungsoo woke up to find that his potions book was no longer screaming, the ringing sound in his ears the only trace that anything had ever happened. Even his books were perfectly fine the way they were, as though a giant goblin face had not woven its way into the page and been flattened by Kyungsoo’s own two hands. Nor were there any other pranks for the rest of the day. No speaking other languages or screaming books, not even a silencing charm. He kept jumping throughout his lessons, shooting anxious looks around his shoulder to the Ravenclaw boy with the jet black hair, wondering what he was brewing up now. But nothing happened, and in a few days Kyungsoo had turned back to his less-paranoid self, those terrible traumas almost forgotten.

He opened his eyes groggily on Sunday morning and peeked over at his alarm clock. 6.30AM. Groaning, he rolled over onto his side and closed his eyes again. Unfortunately, he had immense trouble falling asleep again. Wondering why the world had to do this to him, he swung his legs over the side of the bed to get up, and promptly slid off the edge of the bed, grunting in pain as his head landed with a thump onto the carpet. He laid there for a little longer, resting his left cheek against the scratchy carpet and blinking groggily at the dusty underside of his bed. Finally, he threw an arm into the air in an attempt to pull himself up using the bed. It hit the edge of the mattress and rebounded back. Trying hard not to sob in sleepy distress, he managed to lug himself up and sat back down on the edge of his bed, lurching slightly as the bed met him earlier than he had expected. 6.50AM.

Half an hour later, when Kyungsoo was comfortably situated in an armchair, reading through a rather interesting book on advanced transfiguration theory, legs dangling about two centimetres off the ground. Kyungsoo didn’t think there was actually an armchair in which his legs didn’t touch the ground (despite the numerous amount of jokes made by Chanyeol) but here he was, too absorbed in his book to mind much.

“Morning short-pants!”

Kyungsoo groaned as the sound an annoyingly cheerful being interrupted his reading.

“Go away Jongdae.” He grumbled, sinking a little lower into his chair. Jongdae, as usual, ignored him and instead laughed at him.

“Look at your feet, they’re not touching the ground! Man you’re shorter than I thought, Soo.”

“I didn’t know it was possible for you to think I was any shorter.” Kyungsoo mumbled, dodging Jongdae’s hand as he tried to ruffle his hair. He closed his book, knowing he wouldn’t be able to concentrate with Jongdae here, and half-climbed his way off the armchair with some effort. “I’m off to breakfast.”

“Okay let’s go!”

“No, off.”

“Oh come on Soo.” Jongdae slung an arm around Kyungsoo’s neck, putting him in a half headlock before seeing his expression and quickly letting go. “I need to tell Chanyeol something anyway.”

Kyungsoo shot him another look before starting down the stairs and nearly falling forward. Jongdae grabbed him by the back of the collar to stop him.

“You’re welcome.” Jongdae said lightly as Kyungsoo stood up straight and retched, massaging the faint red mark that was forming around his neck. “Let’s go to breakfast, shall we?”

Thankfully, Jongdae ran off to Chanyeol, leaving Kyungsoo to sit next to the peace and quiet of Jinki, digging in to a big bowl of porridge and fruit. After checking that Jongdae was nowhere in sight, he found himself a nice corner of the library and sit down to read a nice, thick volume on ‘Potions and Antidotes; the theory and in-depth breakdown’,  so absorbed in it that he forgot to go to lunch. By dinner, his stomach was starting to grumble so loudly that even the fascinating theory of the effects of scarab beetles on potions couldn’t distract him. Remembering his page and borrowing the book, Kyungsoo made his way to the Great Hall, thinking about nothing but a hot, mouth-watering steak and kidney pie, when he collided into something tall.

“Oh, sorry Soo! Didn’t see you there.” Said Chanyeol, grinning broadly at him.

“ ‘s alright.” Kyungsoo mumbled.

“You’ve gotten shorter.” Chanyeol comments mildly, ruffling his hair. And then he walks away, leaving Kyungsoo to glare at him before his stomach reminded him of more pressing matters.

Dinner was followed by another session of reading, this time in the Ravenclaw common room, this time sitting in another armchair that he knew wouldn’t make his legs dangle. Except it did. Both his feet were resolutely hanging two centimetres from the ground, swaying slightly as Kyungsoo tried to get them back on the ground. Was it possible for an armchair to get bigger? Or did he really grow shorter? He began to think about it but stopped quickly as he once again became absorbed in his book and by the time he climbed into bed at 10pm, all wonderings about his height were long forgotten.

***********************************************

That was until the next morning when he fell out of the bed trying to reach for his alarm clock. Grumbling a string of indistinguishable swears, Kyungsoo pulled himself off the ground for the second morning in a row trundled his way to the bathroom. He nearly inhaled his cereal when Chanyeol slapped him on the back as ways of a morning greeting, and found Jongdae resolutely sitting in his seat when he walked into Transfiguration, leaving him to sit in Jongdae’s seat at the back of the room instead, since all the others were taken. All in all, not a good morning.

“Right class!” The teacher called for silence as she entered the room. “Hand in your essays on the Inanimatus conjurus spell to me please. Jinki, you can collect them for me.”

There was a general ruffling of bags as people reached for their essays.

“Now since we’ve covered the basic theory of the conjuring charm, it should help you to start vanishing more complex organisms. Now who can tell me what sort of creatures would be more difficult to vanish and why?”

Kyungsoo’s hand shot into the air, but the professor seemed not to have seen him, for her head turned side to side.

“No-one?” She asked with a slight frown.

“Professor, Kyungsoo has his hand up.” Chanyeol  called from next to him.

“Oh! I’m so sorry Kyungsoo I didn’t see your hand!” The professor exclaimed apologetically.

“Maybe it’s because he’s so short.” Jongdae said, and Kyungsoo could hear his wide Cheshire grin. Chanyeol laughed, so did a few other students.

“Jongdae be nice to your classmates please.”

“Sorry ma’am.”

Kyungsoo glowered at the head of Jongdae four rows in front of him, and then at the sniggering Chanyeol beside him, who tried and failed to put on a straight face under his threatening gaze.

“Why the did you take my seat for?” Kyungsoo asked angrily, elbowing Chanyeol to stop him slumping off his back.

“I just wanted to experience the thrilling feeling of being completely absorbed in the theory of vanishing charms, my dear short one.”

Kyungsoo elbowed him too, before rushing off to Charms to make sure his seat wasn’t taken there too.

However when he walked into Charms, he once again found his seat taken by Jongdae.

“How did you get here so quickly?”

“Eager to get to class?” but Jongdae’s smile said otherwise. Kyungsoo let out a growl of frustration before dragging himself to sit right behind Jongdae, and kicked the back of his chair as hard as he could.

***********************************************

Kyungsoo was seriously starting to suspect that he had indeed, been shrunk. Almost all of his teachers had completely missed him during lessons, needing the loud and helpful voice of Chanyeol to remind them that he was present in class, or that he had his hand up. He had even been mistaken for a first year by the Head boy, Jiyong (which admittedly had happened before but only until fourth year). Chanyeol kept popping up too, tailing him around like an oversized, clumsy dog who kept commenting loudly about his height. By dinner, he got the gist.

“Kim Jongdae did you ing shrink me?”

Jongdae looked up from his spaghetti bolognaise and scoffed lightly.

“Why would I need to shrink you? You’re short enough as it is.”

“Because it sounds like something you would do to me.” Kyungsoo persisted. “Make me even shorter so the teachers won’t see me.”

“Trust me,” Jongdae replied, twirling up some spaghetti on his fork and waving it at Kyungsoo, “if I wanted to make you any shorter I would’ve used a vanishing charm.” He stuck the fork into his mouth. “Easier charm, same effects.”

Chanyeol laughed so hard he fell off his seat and knocked the mashed potato bowl over and Kyungsoo stomped away, not entirely convinced of Kim Jongdae’s innocence.

Jongdae finally admitted to his crime on Friday evening, when the Ravenclaw common room was empty except for him, Kyungsoo, Yonghwa and Chanyeol, who had been let in by Jongdae.

“You know,” he said light-heartedly, “I really thought you would pester me more but you let it go pretty quickly.”

“Let what go?”

“The shrinking thing.”

“What?” Kyungsoo looked up from his essay so quickly his neck cracked.

“You know,” Jongdae replied causally, twirling his wand between his fingers, “that shrinking charm I put on you to make you 2.5cm shorter and ruin your life.”

“You WHAT?!”

“I honestly thought you’d be pestering me for days and days but-“

“KIM ING JONGDAE YOU ARE DEAD TO ME.”

Kyungsoo shot himself at Jongdae but was buffeted back by an invisible barrier. Chanyeol burst out in laughter. Yonghwa helped him up and he sat back in his chair, glaring daggers into Jongdae’s cocky grin.

“Stop frowning so much Soo, you’re going to get a monobrow.”

“Yeah…your eyebrows look like an eagle…about to fly away!” Chanyeol forced out through hysterical fits of laughter.

Jongdae suddenly laughed, the tinkling sound escaping out of his throat.

“Oh yeah! Like an eagle!”  Kyungsoo continued to glare at them both. “Lighten up Soo! Here, I’ll even fix up your height.”

Jongdae waved his wand and several things happened at once. Kyungsoo’s wand flew out of his hand, arching towards Jongdae smoothly as he felt himself grow, as though someone had clamped giant hands on him and was stretching him out slightly. At the same time, he felt something strange on his forehead, as though something was fanning his fringe up except for the fact that his fringe was resolutely put on his head. Distantly, he could hear Chanyeol cackling.

All of a sudden, he was brought back to his senses and he could hear Chanyeol’s laughter in full volume now.

“What-?” He reached up to feel his forehead and was met with a smooth expanse of skin where his eyebrows were meant to be. “WHAT-“

He looked up to see his eyebrows, knitted together in the centre and flapping as though it were a seagull drawn by a child. Kyungsoo saw the eyebrows, he heard Chanyeol give a loud snort, and then everything went black.

***********************************************

“Blimey he actually passed out.”

“That was absolutely AMAZING.”

“No it wasn’t, it was going too far.”

“Oh, going to give me a detention Mr. Prefect?”

“…”

“Hah.”

Kyungsoo had no idea what was going on. His head was spinning and the voices in his head were too loud. Or were they in his head? He wasn’t sure.

“I think he might be dead, Jongdae”

‘Don’t be stupid he’s not dead.”

Jongdae…something stirred inside of his gut at the name. A moment later, he registered it as anger and a torrent of memories came flooding back to him so fast he sat bolt upright, forehead colliding with someone else’s

“Ouch!” Chanyeol and Kyungsoo both toppled backwards, clutching their foreheads.

“Hey you’re awake!” Jongdae exclaimed. Kyungsoo glared at him before quickly remembering why he’d passed out. Gingerly, he reached down to touch the space above his eyes to find that his eyebrows were, once again, attached to his face.

He barely had a moment of peace to relish this reuniting, however, for Jongdae spoke again, voice annoyingly high and cheery.

“I thought you’d never come around Soo! Geez, you were out for a while.”

Kyungsoo glared at him before letting his hand dive to his pocket, determined to curse Jongdae into every oblivion in existence and more-except his wand wasn’t in his pocket.

“Looking for this?” He lunged forward to snatch the wand away from Jongdae, who didn’t back away. “Take it, but don’t bother trying to curse me yet. I want to settle this nice and proper.”

“What do you mean?” Kyungsoo asked sceptically.

“Do Kyungsoo, I challenge you to a Wizard’s duel.”

He stared at Jongdae, looking for any traces of that signature feline grin. But there was none. Jongdae was being dead serious.

“We’ll wake the whole school up.” Kyungsoo replied, glancing upwards to where the Ravenclaw dormitories were.

“No we won’t, I set up sound barrier charms all across the common room, it’s why no one woke up when you screamed about your eyebrows. But if you’re too scared to face me that’s alright, Soo, you don’t have to make up excuses.” The grin Jongdae wore was so condescending, so smug that Kyungsoo found himself retorting at once

“Who said I was scared? Alright, Wizard’s duel it is then.”

“Excellent.” Jongdae grinned even wider, and then stood up, crossing the Ravenclaw common room and standing at one end of it, waiting expectantly for Kyungsoo.

“Uhm, guys are you sure this is a good idea?” Yonghwa said uncertainly, backing away towards Chanyeol, who was sitting at the foot of the stairs to the boy’s dorm rooms with a wild, expectant grin on his face. Neither boy answered him, and Yonghwa was left to squeeze next to Chanyeol, eyes flitting nervously between the two boys now facing each other from opposite sides of the common room but not daring to say anything at the sudden seriousness that seemed to have weighed down on the scene. Jongdae bowed, tilting his head in a polite and almost mocking fashion. Kyungsoo repeated the gesture, owl-eyes b over with hatred.

“One,” Chanyeol said in a hushed voice, looking as though he was about to explode with excitement, “ two…THREE!”

“Reducto!”

“Impedimenta!”

The spells ricocheted off each other and shot in different directions, one blasting into several cushions on an armchair and the other hitting the wall, leaving a charred hole.

“A reductor curse? Wow Soo, you’re more serious about this than I thought!” Jongdae said, raising his eyebrows but smiling slightly. “You don’t actually want to kill me now, do you?”

“I wasn’t aiming for anything vital.” Kyungsoo grumbled back.

“Oh so we want to take this seriously do we? I can play with that.” He rolled up his sleeves, raising his wand back to chest height. “Chanyeol, count us in again.”

“Three! Two! One! WHOOSH!”

In a flash, Jongdae repelled a nearby cushion to Kyungsoo’s face, and when it was close enough, made it explode, sending him stumbling backwards. Enraged, the latter quickly regained his balance and started firing every hex that came to mind.

Curses filled the air and Kyungsoo fired at rapid speed and Jongdae barely deflected them. An engorgement charm clashed with Jongdae’s babbling hex and deflected to the stairs, where it hit Chanyeol. Immediately, his already-larger-than-average ears started growing until he looked like a human Dumbo, Yonghwa trying desperately to remember the counter-jynx but being distracted a moment later when he got hit full in the face with a furnunculus curse.

Jongdae just missed the severing charm that was aimed at his robes, but in the process stepped right in the way of a chess piece that had been launched towards him. The queen hit him right between the eyes and Jongdae finally broke.

“DEPRIMO!” The spell was so strong that it was as though a small hurricane had formed in the room with Jongdae at the centre, knocking Kyungsoo and the two boys backwards as well as sending various objects flying everywhere, extinguishing the fire and making the room suddenly darker. Not pausing to give Kyungsoo a chance, Jongdae set the aguamenti curse at Kyungsoo as he was trying to stand back up, knocking him back over so that his back hit the wall.

“Expelliarmus!” The wand that was clutched loosely in Kyungsoo’s hand landed in Jongdae’s and he walked forward towards the boy that was spluttering on the ground. “Give up now Soo and I won’t do anything else to you.”

Kyungsoo glared up at Jongdae, hair and water sticking to his face and expression livid. But before he could say anything, Chanyeol spoke out.

“Just let him win Kyungsoo! He’ll probably kill you for actually hitting him with something!”

Jongdae glanced back warningly at Chanyeol, who quickly used his growing ears to cover his face and said no more.

“Give me my wand back,” Kyungsoo said with as much dignity as he could muster, “and I’ll show you what else I can do to your face.”

With a yell Kyungsoo found himself dangling by the ankle in mid-air, wet hair swinging wildly off his face. Jongdae continued to walk until he was nearly nose to nose with the upside down Kyungsoo.

“No-one messes with me, you got that? No-one messes with me, Kim Jongdae, or you pay the price.” And with that he turned back around, waving his wand in a sweeping motion to put the room back together. Chanyeol peeked out from behind his ears.

“Is it over?”

“Yes.” Jongdae answered shortly, making Chanyeol’s ears shoot back and Yonghwa’s face clear up with another jab of his wand.

“What…what are you going to do with him?” Chanyeol asked timidly, walking to stand beside Jongdae and stare at Kyungsoo, who was revolving very slowly, water dripping onto the carpet.

“Incarcerous.” Jongdae said in reply, and ropes shot out of the end of his wand, curling their way around Kyungsoo’s body. He then grabbed him by his ear and dragged him up the stairs like a weird balloon and left him like that, tied up and upside down in the fifth year boys’ dormitory until the following morning, when he was to be awoken by crashing back to the ground.

_______________________________________________________________________

Wow okay that battle was way more intense than I thought it would be

I am very very sorry Kyungsoo. But bunny isn’t, she thinks you deserved ever single bit of it

I didn’t like the ending of that but I didn’t know how else to phrase it so OH WELL. Also THIS CHAPTER TOOK ME SO FRICKING LONG TO DO LEGIT BUNNY IS SO DONE WITH ME I AM SORRY. I hope it was worth my struggles and that you enjoyed it? ;-; (please love me)

And for anyone who was wondering, this is a picture of grumpy Soo, the inspiration for this train wreck of a double chapter.

I love you all you are all kawaii jellybeans

~Unicorn