Chapter 14- A Helping Hand

H-POP

Pairing(s); Laysoo

Rating/Notes; PG

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kyungsoo sighed heavily.

Jinki looked up from ‘A Hundred Magical Creatures’, knitted brows lifting with a welcoming smile. “Hey Kyungsoo!”

“Hi…” Kyungsoo reached his window-side bed, stared at it, then unceremoniously flung himself onto it.

Jinki closed his book with a soft thud, taking off his glasses. “He didn’t notice you?”

Kyungsoo shook his head extremely slowly, face buried into his pillow, arms dangling off his bed.

Jinki flashed him a sympathetic look.

“Kyungsoo-yah, I’m thinking… maybe you should give it a rest—”

Kyungsoo let out a long, muffled wail.

“Kyungsoo! Think about it—he doesn’t even remember your name!!”

“…he doesn’t remember his own name half the time either…”

Lee Jinki face-palmed.

**********************one week later***************************

Yixing scratched the back of his head in irritation.

And then all of a sudden, dropped his quill with a gasp.

“Oh,” he heaved, along with a dramatic hand-over-heart gesture, “Kyungsoo.” he said, acknowledging the owner of the large pair of round eyes peering intently at him, just visible over the top of a massive book entitled ‘Potions and Uses of Floral Ingredients’. “You scared me.”

The boy in question gave a little squeak. He hurriedly put his book away, looking vastly mortified.

Yixing picked up his quill, frowning in distaste at the ink blotch in the middle of his introductory passage. “I hate Potions.” He mumbled, ripping off the piece of stained parchment.

“Uhh…”

Looking up, Yixing jumped for the second time in a minute. Kyungsoo’s overly-large eyes were now peeping up from behind his table, fixed on him. Yixing couldn’t see any more of his face past his eyes, otherwise the heavy red tinting it would’ve been so easily spotted.

“Hi, Kyungsoo!” Yixing beamed at him, readying himself for continuation with his essay on the properties of the uses of ginger in potion-making.

Kyungsoo flushed heavily from behind the table. Gulping, he cleared his throat, hoping its wobbling wouldn’t give his churning insides away. “Uhhh….” He cleared his throat. “If… if you’d like… do… do you perhaps…”

Yixing stared at him, encouraging him to continue. It wasn’t uncommon for Kyungsoo to be stuttering, though when he asked Minseok, his friend had found it completely unfamiliar news to him.

Kyungsoo took a deep breath, and the words came tumbling out of his mouth. “Look Yixing, I can help you if you want with your potions homework, but of course, only if you want, I’d completely, completely understand if you don’t—”

“REALLY??” Yixing was beaming. He was horrible at most subjects (with the exception of Care of Magical Creatures) but Potions seemed to hold a particular distaste for him. “Oh wow, you’d really??” He was ecstatic. “Wow, Kyungsoo, thank you heaps!!”

Kyungsoo suppressed a giddy squeal, biting down hard on his bottom lip.

***************************************************

Yixing was sparkling. His lips were moving. His eyes glanced over at Kyungsoo. He blinked. His lips had stopped moving. He was still sparkling. Then, Yixing waved a hand in front of Kyungsoo’s face.

“Kyuunnngggsoooooooo!”

Kyungsoo jumped from his chair, eyes wider than normal, face a fiery sunset red.

“Ah, thought we’d get there in the end.” Yixing picked up his essay. “So, I was just asking…”

Kyungsoo’s skin burned. “Yeah… yeah… that’s good, you’re done…!” he puts on a happy face for him.

“Aw, thanks SO MUCH for all your help, Kyungsoo, you’ve totally been a MASSIVE help!!” Yixing beamed, so that just so just when Kyungsoo’s heavy blush was dying down, it sprung back up again, large eyes fixated on the way Yixing smiled with that gorgeous dimple…

“N-N-N-N-No p-p-prob-blem,”

Yixing shot him another heart-fluttering smile, and when Kyungsoo came back to Earth, he was gone.

Kyungsoo slumped in his chair, eyeing the spot beside him where Yixing once sat.

He was suddenly reminded of his piling O.W.L homework waiting for him. But one glance at the Potions book he had been reading made him stow it safely back into the shelf. He smiled at the book. Yixing fell for it, they had spent time together, and that was all he could have hoped for.

**************************************************

“MINSEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOK!!” Yixing was wailing at the dinner table.

Kim Minseok turned, full attention on him, slowly chewing his way through a massive mouthful of mashed potatoes and sausages.

“I’M GOING TO FAIL ALL MY O.W.L.S!!!!”

“Nur yer naw. Don wurray.”

“Ew, at least swallow before you speak.”

Minseok washed down his food with a long drink of pumpkin juice, then turned back to his mournful friend with a sigh. “I guess,” he began begrudgingly. “I’ll help if you wa—”

“Yixing?” chimed a quiet voice from just behind them.

The two of them twisted around in their seats.

Kyungsoo was staring, wide-eyed, right back at Yixing.

“Oh, hi Kyungsoo!!”

“Kyungsoo?” Minseok cocked his head to one side. Ah, the eyebrows kid that T-rex boy was talking about.

“Yixing,” Kyungsoo repeated, voice barely heard over the chatter of the Great Hall. “You know, if you want, I wouldn’t be bothered to tutor you again… if you needed help, that is. Of course you don’t have –”

“OH THANK YOU!! Library tomorrow second-half lunch??”

Kyungsoo spilt pumpkin juice all down his front.

*****************************************************

“Yixing!”

“Oh, hey Kyungsoo!” He grinned.

Kyungsoo gulped, feeling the heat prickle his cheeks and tentatively taking the seat next to Yixing.

Ducklifors, Ducklifors!” Yixing repeated over and over, but his chicken egg looked no closer to being a duck.

He sighed. Kyungsoo inched a tad bit closer. “Do you need help…? I can help you!” he smiled in a vast show of teeth accompanied with his large eyes when Yixing turned to him, dimple-smiling in relief.

*************************************************

Yixing mopped his brow. O.W.L. year was hectic. But right now, the greenhouse was boiling.

He took a look around. Everyone else seemed to do fine with the self-fertilising… trees? Plants? Shrubs? Oh yes, Yixing thought to himself. Self-fertilising shrubs.

“Professor?”

Yixing instantaneously straightened at the familiar voice. Kyungsoo.

“KYUNGSOO!” he grinned, waving energetically.

Kyungsoo’s owl-ish large eyes turned from where he stood at the door, a grin spreading across his face.

Yixing walked over. “What’re you doing here? Shouldn’t you be having… uh… what was it called…”

Kyungsoo gave him a gentle smile. “Study of Ancient Runes.”

“Yes, yes, that.”

“I’d finished early, and Professor wanted some help with her bubotubers.” Kyungsoo’s lips curled into a small grin, completing the other half of the story in his head, and I’ve memorised your timetable.

“Ah…!” Yixing nodded. “I think she might have headed down… we were running out of dragon dung… dragon dung? Actually it might’ve been mooncalf….”

Kyungsoo took a look around, Yixing’s argument with himself going into one ear and immediately out of the other. It wasn’t hard to find the shrub that was so obviously Yixing’s.

Yixing reddened. “Aish, I must look like some damsel in distress… how come every time we bump into each other I’m in some sort of dilemma…”

Kyungsoo gave him a mysterious smile, and strode over to Yixing’s hopeless shrub.

By the time the Professor had returned, Yixing was gaping at the non-literal magic Kyungsoo had worked on his plant. The Professor was more than impressed.

As the bell rang for dinner, Kyungsoo helped Yixing pack his things away, and subsequently headed back up to the Great Hall together. Kyungsoo was fiddling with the hem of his robes. Never once had he walked less than a metre from Yixing, alone. Just the two of them.

Yixing looked up at the stars, and then swore under his breath. “Oh no, Astronomy homework… a whole flipping foot on Jupiter’s moons…”

“…. I can help with that too…”

And completely out of the blue, Yixing turned Kyungsoo around and wrapped his arms around his shoulders.

Kyungsoo froze, dead sure Yixing could feel his hammering heart beat with their chests pushed together. He tried to breathe, he really did, but the way Yixing then rested his chin on his shoulder just completely stopped all flow of air to his lungs. His eyes were open wide, usually graceful hands clumsy, no idea where to put them and what to do with them.

“Honestly,” Yixing whispered. Kyungsoo’s eyes grew even wider, if that was possible, and his heart went from wild thrashing to almost stopping in less than a moment. “I don’t know how to thank you.” Kyungsoo felt the familiar drop of disappointment in his heart. “All those times you’ve saved my …”

Kyungsoo laughed, out of genuine delight that he’d at least helped with something… and been remembered for it.

*****************************************************

Kyungsoo danced into his dorm, whipping his cloak off and twirling it in the air.

Jung Yonghwa looked up from polishing his dirty Prefects badge—possibly just back from Care of Magical Creatures. “What’s got you this time, Kyungsoo? Cheering Charm gone wrong? Managed to curse Chanyeol’s ears? Jongdae’s got the flu?”

He happily flung himself down onto his bed, sighing in content.                                                                        

Yonghwa grinned in amusement. “Oh yeah, how’s it going with… what’s his face you keep mumbling in your sleep…”

Kyungsoo bolted upright, eyes wide, face scarlet. “I DO NOT! And it’s Zhang Yixing.”

“Yeah, him? Something good happened?”

Kyungsoo scrunched up his entire face in a grin, attempting to constrict the girly squeals that would definitely not come off as very masculine. “Oh, yes.

Yonghwa smiled at him, tidying the books on his bedside table as he spoke. “That’s great, did he finally remember your name?”

Kyungsoo huffed in annoyance.

“Okay, okay I’m sorry. But I have a feeling it’s going to take you a while for you to get to where, say, me and Seohyun are at right now. I mean, if you’ve only just gotten him to remember your name…” He trailed off, looking amused and smug that his partner didn’t have a terribly woeful memory.

Kyungsoo’s face grew hot. “W-w-we’ll g-get there!” his little heart was pounding just at the very thought. “Eventually!”

_______________________________________________________________________

A/N

Yixing has a really poor memory, an idea taken from the wonderful Exo-H, but with a different backstory/reasoning behind it. Also Kyungsoo acts so different in this chapter than in the others I know ㅠㅠ but he does that in real life! He’s evil to the Exo members and an angel to other celebrities. Because Do Kyungsoo is one strange demon soul

Just a short chapter today

Thanks for reading <3

~Unicorn