Opened Eyes

Replacing Sunshine

Chapter 8:

 

 

 

Two weeks later. Wednesday.

 

 

 

Jongin’s POV

 

 

Christmas is coming. It’s been officially two weeks and a half ever since Jinah and I have been dating. But there’s been a new buzz at school lately. Everyone seems to be occupied, talking about a new couple or something, but nobody wants to tell me what’s going on. Even the girls that gossip behind me won’t give me a single hint. However, I noticed that Seulmi was been happier and a lot of people decided to make up with her, talk to her, greet her, and wave at her. Choi Sumin, the student body vice president, is also starting to interact with her more and more along with her other friends.

Everything is gradually getting better, but something feels strange. It feels like everyone is hiding something from me.

 

 

 

~

 

 

After School.

 

 

Seulmi’s POV

 

 

 

After school.

 

 

I need to get out more. I’ve been at home and at school for too long.

 

I volunteered to decorate parts of our neighborhood with a Holiday Theme. Luhan chose to come with me. A few other students volunteered as well. We started with our central park. All of us helped hang wreaths on lamp posts, throw around some fake snow, hang lights on elm trees, and even hang some mistletoe.

Luhan and I were in charge of hanging lights on the elm trees. We were almost finished with our last tree. Luhan was the one hanging the rope of lights on the branches while I hold the rope and the bottom.

 

“You have about 3 more yards to spread out, Han. Do you want to move the ladder now?” I asked a bit louder for him to hear me through the sounds of the city.

 

Luhan nodded and stopped climbed down the ladder, moving it to the other side of the tree, with myself following him.

Before stepping on, he stretched out his arms out in front of him and wiggled them to wake them up.

“Luhan, are you okay?” I asked, a bit concerned.

“Yeah… It’s cold, so my arms are sort of sore from the hanging and the cold weather.” He explained.

“Oh okay… Well, maybe I should finish up.” I suggested.

“No, it’s okay, Seul. I’ve got this.”

“No, Han… you’re sore. Now get off.”

“But-“

 

Without any more objections, I made him step off of the ladder and have myself climb on. Luhan held the rope of lights for me and I hung the lights onto the branches.

 

 

~

 

 

7 minutes later.

 

“Done~!” I cheered, admiring the final look of the lit up tree.

“Yaaaayyy~!” Luhan cheered along.

 

I was about to climb off of the ladder until I heard laughing and screaming in the distance. I looked over to the direction, seeing three other students chasing each other, covered in fake snow. It was one girl and three boys, running around, throwing fake snow at each other like children. Luhan and I watched them play around until one of them suddenly threw fake snow all over me, getting it in my eyes.

I couldn’t open my eyes. The fake snow was like powder, leaving white on everything it touches. Instead of removing it, it was like I was just spreading it.

My first instinct was to get off the ladder to land on safe grass. With my eyes shut, I tried finding they next step of the ladder with my foot.

“Oh my gosh… Seulmi, I’m so sorry.” I heard from one of the students.

“Seulmi, Gwaenchana?” I then heard Luhan ask me.

 

Finally, I sensed the next step under my foot, putting my weight on it. Unexpectedly, it was slippery with possibly the fake snow, causing me to slip and fall off of the ladder. All I could hear was my own cry for help and gasping from the people on the ground.

 

Next thing I knew, I was on the ground, still can’t see. I felt someone break my fall. Not knowing who it was who I landed on, I immediately apologized to whoever it was, still struggling from my lack of vision, since the fake snow still didn’t manage to come off but to stick my eyelids together.

“I am so sorry, whoever you are! I am so-“ I apologized to the person that caught me.

“It’s fine, Seul. Calm down.” I heard his calming voice from under me.

Relieved, I recognized his voice.

 

“Luhan?”

Hearing his laughter was calming. I stood up before I felt that he did too.

 

“Let me help you get that snow off.” I heard him say.

 

After a minute, I felt cold water and fingers get in contact with my face. I cringed at the coldness. I could feel the fake snow come off as the water washed it all off of my face. Lastly, he wiped the snow off of my eyes, allowing me to see him.

I slowly opened my eyes, watching him do the rest of the cleaning on my forehead and around my jawline. He looked focused enough that he looked cute while doing it. I could really see the sparkle in his eyes as he was concentrated. There really is such thing as a sparkle I someone’s eyes. I stopped believing in that a while ago.

I’ve never looked so closely at Luhan before. It was pretty. He was actually pretty… for a boy. He resembles a deer so much too; so innocent, so beautiful, so full of care. It defines exactly who he is. I’ve never noticed before. I was so blinded by missing Jongin that I haven’t been able to see Luhan’s beauty and kindness closely. Now that I have, I don’t want to look away.

 

Luhan smiled. “Done.”

 

He handed the water bottle back to the students before looking back at me, handing me a clean tissue from his pocket, letting me wipe the water off of my face.

 

“Thank you.” I told him, earning a bigger smile and a nod.

 

From behind me, I heard the female student comment quietly.

“Awww~! So cute~!” She pouted a bit as if she was complaining to her boyfriend.

The make student beside her rolled his eyes and shook his head. That must be her boyfriend…

 

“Hey guys look up.” The last male student pointed out.

 

Luhan and I looked up at the same time, seeing something unexpected.

 

Mistletoe.

 

(If you didn’t already know, Mistletoe is this little plant known for the kisses that take place under it. For a holiday excuse to kiss a lover, people hang mistletoe on ceilings or even on lamp posts just for lovers to kiss under it.)

 

Our eyes widened. Luhan and I looked at each other with a mix of shock and embarrassment. I felt my cheeks burn up and I slowly side to the side, avoiding eye contact with fellow boyfriend.

 

“How did the mistletoe end up on the tree???” The female student asked.

The male student that wasn’t dating her shrugged. “Maybe it was just fate…” He chuckled.

 

The students laughed while Luhan and I were just awkwardly standing in front of each other, avoiding each other’s eyes.

 

“What are you two waiting for? Kiss already!” The female student called.

Her boyfriend started a chant, attracting the attention of all of the 10 other students in the park.

 

“KISS KISS KISS KISS KISS KISS~!” The three students started.

 

Within just a few more seconds the others ran by, trying to catch up on what’s going on.

The chant wouldn’t stop. The crowd just kept on growing.

 

I cringed and was debating in my mind in whether this is a good idea. Luhan was probably doing the same. About a minute later, our gazes met, showing our nervous expressions.

 

I came to my final decision.

 

I elevated up to my tippy-toes, grabbing hold of his shoulders to keep my balance, and leaned in, closing my eyes… Resulting to the first kiss.

 

It was 2 seconds long. It wasn’t long. After all, it is the first kiss between us. It would be unusual if it was any longer.

 

I landed back onto my toes, now refusing to ever look at him again. The large crowd cheered. The ladies “aww” -ed and the guys “woo” –ed. I felt my cheeks redden madly. I was embarrassed, nervous, and scared of what he’s probably going to think of me now.

 

I thought he would probably argue with me about this or pretend it never happened, but no.

 

No.

 

It was far from correct.

 

Suddenly, I felt his cold fingers carefully but quickly pull my chin back to the point where I’m facing him again. In a split second, he leaned about as quickly as I did. The second kiss, a longer one. I couldn’t even count how many seconds. The moment was way too dream-like for me to waste my time counting. It was like a dream. It felt so right, so amazing. Without my conscious present, my hand seemed to land on the arm he used to lure me into the kiss, refusing for him to let go of the kiss. I wanted time to stop.

 

I wasn’t time to stop so badly.

 

I’ve never felt so happy in years. Now that I feel happier than I’ve ever been, I don’t want to let go.

 

I can’t believe that I actually thought of dating Luhan for Jongin. I mean… for Jongin? The Jongin that doesn’t care about me anymore? I don’t understand anymore.

 

Luhan is all I have now. Jongin is all miss.

 

I’m not doing this for Jongin anymore. Luhan makes me happy too and I can’t turn my back on him any longer. I was stupid not to notice sooner.

 

 

The kiss was pulled away by both of us. The crowd suddenly had more people. It roared in clapping, cheering, whistling, and yelling.

 

I looked up at his eyes and he did so to mine.

 

“I was so stupid not to notice earlier, Han…” I started.

“Notice what?”

“As a best friend and as a boyfriend, I love you.”

He paused, but then broke in the biggest smile.

“I love you more. So much that you can’t even measure.”

 

I opened my arms for a hug and he gladly took it, adding more noise to the crowd.

The hug was warm and happy. I’m finally happy again.

 

 

~

 

 

Luhan… you gave more than you could possibly take. You loved me and I couldn’t love you back because I was so blind, missing Jongin, who never even came back. I’m sorry.

 

But I’m here now. I’m here to love you back. My eyes and heart are open for you now.

 

This isn’t for Jongin anymore.

 

 

 

This is for us.

 

 

~

 

Probably the fluffiest and most cheesy chapter you may ever read in this story. OMG this was cheesy for me. I was cringing.

 

 

New Subscribers:

 

eunicegoh

sehunaahh

miyoonji

 

Welcome welcome! I hope you enjoy the story and support! I hope that you also comment your opinion... or even feels^^ Have fun, chingus~! Thank you soo much for reading! Saranghaeyyyoooo~! <3333