It All Begins Here

Replacing Sunshine

 

Chapter 1:

 

 

 

Seulmi’s POV

 

 

 

I dreamt about him again.

 

 

 

We were happy in that dream. We were smiling and even laughing, Jongin and I.

I didn’t even know that it was a dream until I woke up to the deafening noise of the alarm clock on my nightstand. I didn’t want to get out of bed. I wanted to sleep, close my eyes, and dream again. I sometimes even wish that I can sleep forever, knowing that as long as I’m not asleep, nothing will go back to the way it originally was.

I don’t intend to, I don’t force myself to, but I unconsciously break into tears. I just start to bawl whenever I wake up from those types of dreams even though I never intend to. Maybe because I want to go back to sleep and dream that same dream even though I can’t. Or because I can’t do anything about it.

I feel weak.

I feel vulnerable.

I feel hopeless.

 

I stood up from bed and forced myself to quit crying over someone I’ve cried too many times for. It was his decision to leave, even if I don’t even know the reason why.

I get dressed into my school uniform and wore my thick coat over it. It’s late November and in South Korea, November is cold weather season.

 

I let Luhan borrow my scarf last week. He better give it back today or I’ll smack his head.

 

~

 

Umma dropped me off at school in the morning, just like always. But I sometimes walk to school when she has to work early. We got to school early to avoid traffic and so I can just sit back and not worry about being late to class. Crossing through the gates, all I heard were faint sounds of conversations of early birds like me. I walk in the direction of my classroom, but not too close, and find a wall to lean on as I sit down. It was in an empty corner, not many people would pay attention to. Blocking my ears with earphones, I closed my eyes and drowned myself into music.

It feels like a care-free world with music, but then you still have to stop once in a while or your eardrums would hurt.

I didn’t open my eyes or pay any attention to anything around me until I felt a light tap on my shoulder. Looking over, I beamed at a cheerful figure sitting beside me.

It was Luhan.

He was happily smiling once our eyes met. He waved even thought we were less than a foot away from each other. I smiled back at my best friend and waved back. I yanked my earphones out of my ears and put them away so that I could hear whatever Luhan was saying.

“Good Morning!” He cheerfully greeted me, getting comfortable in my little corner.

“Good Morning, Luhan. Did you sleep well?”

“The question is if you slept well. Don’t worry about me. I always sleep well.” He cheekily grinned.

I jokingly scoffed and answered him.

“I slept fine. Our phone conversation last night made me sleepy enough.” I rolled my eyes.

“See! Aren’t I just helpful?!”

Both of us chuckled and we talked about some random things. We just sat there. We talked and talked, not noticing how close the time for the bell to ring was near.

“Oh, by the way Luhan… Where’s my scarf?” I asked him, holding my empty hand out in front of him.

“What scarf?”

“You borrowed my scarf last week.”

“Huh?”

“The red cashmere scarf I let you borrow last week.”

“Oh… that scarf… umm…”

“Well… Where is it?”

“Not with me.”

“Is it home?”

“No”

“Is it in your car?”

“No”

“Luhan! Where is it?”

“Uhh… I let Tao borrow it.”

“What?! Why?! You told me that you would give it back today!”

“Well… Tao liked the color and wanted to borrow it for his family reunion over the weekend. He didn’t give it back to me yet.”

“Ugh~! Han~!”

I pushed his shoulder with frustration but it didn’t move him too much. Maybe it just tipped him over a bit. *Ugh my strength*

“I’ll get it back tomorrow and give it back to you next Monday! I promise!” He held his right hand out and swore.

I huffed and approved. “Fine…”

 

More time flew by and laughter followed.

 

Interrupting the peaceful and non-awkward environment, a group of boys came around the corner, turning to our direction. They looked down at us, literally because we’re sitting on the floor and against the wall. They smirked until one of them opened their mouth.

“Well isn’t it just the Chinese exchange nerd and his tour guide!”

Laughs followed his comment.

“No wonder Kai threw her away. She’s just a piece of trash.”

 

The group of boys just kept walking, and I turned to ignore them, but a familiar figure caught my attention and crushed my defenses. It was him. Jongin. The one they call Kai, but I call Jongin, since it’s his real name and he never minded being called by that. He was within that group. He laughed with them and walked away with them, never even glancing back at me. Not once.

My chest felt like a hundred pound block was thrown at me. Luhan just held his hands in front of his face, imagining to strangle all of them in his imagination as they were walking away.

I just sighed. There’s nothing I can do about it, as always. I can’t defend myself because it’s probably all true anyways. Luhan glanced at me and sighed as well.

 

“Just ignore them, Seulmi. They’re all idiots.” He told me.

I tried forcing a smile, but only resulted to the tiniest fake grin I could make.

“Its okay, Luhan. I’m used to it.” I assured him, much to his disappointment.

“But you can’t just let them tear you down like that, We both know that you’re not trash…”

 

Regardless the situation, if I ever felt upset or down in any way, Luhan was somehow always the one here for me whenever Jongin wasn’t. He wouldn’t let anything make himself too upset so that he can share some happiness with me whenever I needed it.

 

“Maybe all we need is something to take your mind off of things.” Luhan suggested and hopped up from the filthy floor we were both sitting on.

He held out his hand and I blankly took it before he pulled me up to standing position.

“We should go somewhere today! After all, it is a Friday. What do you say?”

I shrugged but his joyful features reminded me much of his effort. I finally agreed.

“Why not, right?” I smiled back, now with my teeth showing and a little giggle escaping from my mouth.

Luhan beamed in happiness and we walked together to class, before the bell rings. We walked into the same classroom, where we half to stay the whole day, since it’s like that here in South Korea.

Three of us were now in the classroom and in our desks. Yes, you read correctly. Three. Luhan, Jongin, and I in the same classroom for the entire day. What a coincidence. *Whimpers*

Luhan and I sit far from the door and beside the big windows while Jongin and some other queenka sit together closest to the door.

I try my best to ignore them as much as possible, since that’s what he does to me, ignore me. I also try not to let that bother me too much. He looks happier, I guess. Even if it costs leaving me without any apparent reason, he should be happy. Most people even say that we weren’t even that close. But of course, what do they know? Maybe they should consider minding their own business and get a life that doesn’t involve gossiping about people they don’t understand. The first class is English. It’s sort of easy now that Luhan helps me when I’m confused. He already learned English back in Beijing and almost fluent at it too. *Pshh… Smarty pants…* We’re actually pretty focused and I barely even noticed Jongin. I might just pass this class.

 

 

Jongin’s POV

 

I’m not being too harsh, am I? I mean, Seulmi wouldn’t understand. I don’t want to put her in a more difficult position she already is in. At least I didn’t leave her lonely. She has Lu-hu-whatever Chinese exchange student with her and she seems happy. She’s maybe already happier than she ever was with me. *Sigh* Like I said, she deserves better than me. He may be the person that can make her happier.

 

Oh gosh. Don’t even get me started about this girl I sit next to. She is… ugh so…. Babo. I basically just can’t stand her. Whenever I try to focus on anything, all she would do is gossip about random people and their problems. If only it was okay to tape her talkative mouth shut.

 

 

~


Author's Note:

 

Annyeonghaseyo~! First Chapter! I probably already bored you guys to death with this non-interesting Chapter. The concept of this chapter is to introduce Seulmi's (Original Character's) attitude about society and people around her. It also introduced her relationship with Kai and Luhan. Both of them are sweethearts. Kai just doesn't want to show it for her sake. Luhan may just show a bit too much for a beginning character.. lol. So cheesy.

 

I had to split the first chapter in half. The other half is in chapter 2 now. If I didn't split it, the page would go up to 13000+ characters... which wouldn't be very appealing... lol... Mianhabnida.

 

I hope all of you will stick around! Please subcribe! Thank you for giving it a try! It means a lot! Kamsahabnida Chingu~!

 

Enjoy the story!

 

-Min HeeSeul