Christmas Day

Replacing Sunshine

Chapter 14:

 

 

 

Jongin's POV

 

 

Now where did I put that ring???

 

I shuffled through every drawer and storage box in my room. I have to find that ring. After about 45 minutes of searching, I finally found it in its original box somewhere inside my closet. I held it between my fingers and stared at it as if it was my prized possession. I still remembered that time I gave Seulmi a ring for her birthday and how I never told her that it was a couple ring. I have the same one that I gave her, but she never knew. I wore the ring onto my right ring finger and admired. I've never wore it until now. It will probably be the first and last time I'll ever wear it.

 

I have to move on from Seulmi. She experiences less pain when I'm not around. I don't want to hurt her anymore. Wearing this ring is just a way of saying goodbye to her, but a way to cherish our memories.

 

I sighed. Its Christmas Day. Jinah my so-called girlfriend told me to meet up with her today for a Christmas Breakfast in the neighborhood. I decided to go, not because I wanted to, but because k had nothing better to do. I would’ve spent today with my family, but they had work to do even on Christmas. My friends are spending time with their families or girlfriends. I'm just here, lonely.

 

 

I drove to the cafe that Jinah told me to meet her at and as expected, she was there. She was sitting on one of the table-for-two's outside of the cafe, waiting patiently. She beamed when she saw me walk up to her.

 

"Oh? Kai~!" She stood up and waved.

 

I walked up and sat down across from her.

 

"Merry Christmas~" She happily greeted.

 

It was odd, she didn't seem so stuck-up and arrogant today. I tried to act normal for today and to be nice to her, for the sake of Christmas spirit.

 

"Merry Christmas!" I smiled and she lit up.

 

 

We bought some coffee and muffins before we sat down and talked.

 

"I'm sorry if I'm keeping you from enjoying your Christmas Day, but I had no one else but you to spend some time with..." She apologized

I shook my head and grinned, "It's alright. I was pretty lonely myself."

She smiled back in relief. I picked up my mug and took a sip of my peppermint hot chocolate until I felt her stare at me from up front. I put my mug down and her gaze was on my hand, which held the mug casually.

 

Her eyes were of disappointment and sorrow. I furrowed my eyebrows.

 

"Hey is something wrong?" I asked, concerned.

 

She looked back up, seeming as if she just woke up from daydreaming. She stuttered at first.

 

"Oh... Uhh-uh Ye- yeah..." She looked back down my my hand as she hid her hair behind her ear.

 

"I-umm... I like your ring..." Jinah pointed out awkwardly.

 

I glanced down to the ring I found earlier, Seulmi and I's couple ring, and looked back up to her.

 

"Oh... Thanks." I replied.

 

"That's a couple ring isn't it..." She assumed.

"Yea... It is."

"Is the other one with Seulmi?"

I paused. "Uhh..."

 

"I'm sorry for asking, Kai. I really shouldn't have." She hung her head shook her head in shame.

"No, no. It's okay. It’s not like it’s a secret or anything." She looked back up at me and I continued, "And yes, Seulmi has the other one, but that was a long time ago. She doesn't have it anymore. And it’s my fault that she doesn't."

I seemed to spill out my problems to Jinah, but she didn't react unusually or how other girls would have acted. She didn't show pity or sympathy, much to my relief.

 

She warmly smiled. "I know you only bullied her for her own good. I know you did it out of love. I know how you feel and what you're going through."

 

"You do?" I was surprised; I would've never guessed that she would've experienced the things I've been going through.

 

She smiled and nodded, "I bet you also want to move on from her?"

 

She predicted correctly.

 

I didn't respond. I felt so dumb and predictable.

 

"I can help you..." She quietly told me, "But only if you want me to. I know I'm not really your girlfriend and I'm not doing it just because you're my boyfriend... But I would've helped you even if you weren't."

 

I was definitely held back from what she was saying. I've always hated her. I've always thought that she was stuck-up and annoying. But she was different today.

 

"If you don't want me in your business, I totally understand!" she told me in caution. "I'm sorry for budding in! I really shouldn't have-"

 

"No..." I interrupted her apologizing and she stared at me, "I agree. Moving on isn't easy, but it would be easier if someone helped me. Let's give it a try..."

 

Her eyes widened and her lips curled up into a smile.

 

 

I hope I don't regret this.

 

 

~

 

 

Luhan's POV

 

 

*Yaaaayyy~! Christmas Day~!*

 

 

10:15 am.

 

 

I drove to Seulmi's house, joyfully. I was in a white dress shirt, black coat, and tuxedo pants. My hair was also gelled up neatly. I was nervous but so excited. Its our first Christmas as a couple and second Christmas as best friends. I arrived at the curb beside her house and and hopped of a with the usual cheesy essentials like a rose bouquet of roses, but mine were special. Mine had chocolate roses here and there, because Seulmi likes chocolate better than flowers.

 

I knocked on her door and was greeted by Mrs. Han.

 

"Oh~ Luhan~ Merry Christmas~!" She pulled me into a hug and led me inside.

 

"Seulmi is in her room. She’s all ready and prettied up. She's just talking to her dad on video chat."

 

I nodded and she went back into her room.

 

I walked up to Seulmi's closed door and leaned against her wall, hearing her voice as she talks to her dad.

 

"I really wish you were here, Appa... I really miss you." I heard light sobs from inside.

 

"I know, Seul. I wish I was there too. Maybe next year..." I also heard Mr. Han on the laptop. She was crying as well. "But I know for sure that I'll be there for your graduation."

"But dad, that's so far from now..." Seulmi pointed out.

 

I heard a low giggle before they bid each other goodbye.

 

"I have to go honey; it’s getting late here in New York." He explained, sadly.

I heard Seulmi sniff and reply, "Okay... Luhan must be here too. I heard the door open."

 

I unconsciously smiled to myself to the fact that she knew I was here.

 

"Alright. Tell him that I wish him a Merry Christmas too! And to eat more food! He's looked sort of thin on the last picture you showed me of him."

 

I giggled quietly to myself, trying not to get caught.

 

"No problem, dad. See you soon."

 

"Bye honey... I love you~"

 

"I love you too dad~ AEGYO"

 

"AEGYO~"

 

They must've made aegyos on camera.

 

I heard the video chat log off and still waited for her.

 

Inside, I could hear her shuffling around her room

 

"Gaahh~! I look terrible~ Gotta fix my mascara again~" I giggled and rushed over to the living room, leaving her to do what she has to do.

 

5 minutes later, I heard her door open and my name.

 

"Luhan?" She called out.

 

I stood up from the couch, fixing my collar and coat, walking up to her, holding up the bouquet.

 

I stopped my tracks when I saw her in front of me.

 

Seulmi wore a short, cute red dress with slightly puffed up shoulder caps to add volume to the dress. She also wore shear, black tights with low cut, black combat boots. Her makeup was light, but flawless and with her long brown hair curled towards the bottom with a tiny red bow clipped to the side of her head. My jaw almost fell to the floor.

 

I stuttered at first. "Wah- I.. Uhh... Wow... Seulmi...-"

 

She chuckled warm-heartedly. "Well thank you, Han." She casually threw her black coat on and repositioned her cutely styled hair.

 

Seulmi grabbed the bouquet from my hands and smiled widely. "You know me so well to put chocolate in here."

 

I chuckled, feeling my cheeks burn up. I offered my arm. "Shall we? Princess Han Seulmi?"

 

She embarrassingly grinned and swung her arm around mine, yelling across the house to let her mom know that we were leaving. "UMMA~! I'M GOING NOW~!"

 

"ARASSO~! TAKE CARE~!" Mrs. Han yelled back and we got going.

 

 

Narrator's POV

 

 

The neighborhood was unexpectedly busy with mostly teenagers and young adults. Cafes and small stores were still open, but of course, will close before sunset. Seulmi and Luhan drove until they reached the middle of the crowded neighborhood, parking at the curb.

 

They walked down the sidewalk, holding hands and telling stories in not jokes. They constantly found themselves recognizing a lot of people from their school. Waving at them and receiving holiday greeting here and there, it made the day a lot brighter.

 

Luhan nudged Seulmi on the shoulder.

"You did eat breakfast right?" He asked, just in case.

 

"I had to eat breakfast?" Seulmi asked, dumbfounded. "I was so busy getting ready and my dad called all of a sudden."

 

Luhan nodded and looked around for any nearby cafes. He found one around the corner.

"Why don't I buy you a muffin or something?"

 

Seulmi nodded instantly with an eager smile, earning a giggle from Luhan.

 

"Do you want to come with me?" He asked her, pointing at the cafe.

 

She shook her head. "I can just sit here and wait." Seulmi pointed at an empty bench and walked over it, sitting there.

Luhan nodded in agreement. "Alright. I'll be right back, okay?"

 

She nodded and shoo-ed him away to fetch a muffin.

 

Luhan walked into the cafe and quickly bought a strawberry muffin for Seulmi and rushed back out the door. He held the muffin in the same hand that he used to carry his wallet as he checked his phone for notifications on the other hand. Suddenly, his wallet slipped through his fingers, causing him to quickly pick it back up before placing his phone back into his back pocket. As he stood back up to a standing position, he heard a female voice call his name.

 

"Luhan?"

 

He turned to the direction of the high-pitched voice and his eyes widened.

 

"Jinah?"

 

His eyes glanced over to the queenka and part-time model, also Kai's current girlfriend.

 

She waved awkwardly and grinned just as awkward. In front of her, Luhan also saw Kai. He too, awkwardly curled his lips upward. Luhan tried smiling as well and walked over to their table that was from the same cafe.

 

"Hey Luhan, what are you doing here?" Jinah friendly asked.

 

Luhan held up the muffin he bought and responded, "I just came to buy a muffin for Seulmi..."

 

Jinah immediately glanced at Kai who sat across from her and who instantly looked up to Luhan in sudden interest.

 

"Really? Where is she?" He casually, coolly asked as he slouched in his seat.

 

"She's waiting for me at a bench just across the street."

 

Kai nodded and blankly just took another sip of his drink, causing Luhan to notice his ring. Assuming that it was a couple ring with Jinah, he glanced over to Jinah's fingers, which had hold of her purse. There was no ring that had anything similar with Kai's. Luhan began to question himself but Jinah interrupted his thoughts.

 

"Oh... Well I hope you two have a Merry Christmas."

 

Luhan nodded. "Thank you. Same to the two of you."

 

With that, Luhan walked away to return to Seulmi, who was still sitting on the bench.

 

 

As expected, Seulmi was still there, waiting until she noticed Luhan walk towards her.

 

"Han~!" She stood up and waved, revealing the widest smile.

Luhan gave her the muffin after she thanked him and swung his arm around her, swiftly.

 

"So where do we go next?" she asked before biting a big bite out of the muffin.

 

Luhan showed her a bright smile before walking down the sidewalk again.

 

"Anywhere... Just as long as I'm with you..." He answered her with soothing voice.

 

Meanwhile, Seulmi almost choked on her muffin bite. "Haann~! You're so cheesy~ Stop it, I'm getting goosebumps!" Seulmi lifted up her sleeve, showing Luhan how bothered she was with goosebumps.

 

Luhan just chuckled and they walked on, minding no one else, just themselves and the day ahead of them.

 

 

~

 

 

Kai stood up from his seat across from Jinah and thanked her for the company. About to walk away, he was interrupted. Jinah quickly stood up from her chair and grabbed his arm.

 

"Wait~..." She called out, attempting to stop him from leaving.

 

Kai paused at her sudden reaction and turned back to her, who didn't know what to do next.

 

"Ummm...." Jinah tried figuring out what to say. "Didn't you say that you were lonely anyways? Uhh... Why don't we just enjoy our own company today? It may also help you with your problem with Seulmi? What do you say?"

 

Kai was taken back. It was the first time Jinah asked for him to stay or hang around with her

 

"Jinah... I Uhh-"

 

"There's a place I wanted to go to lately... Why don't we go there together instead?"

 

After processing his thoughts, Kai decided to give it a shot.

 

*What's there to lose anyways?*

 

 

~

 

 

5:30 pm

 

Hours from the neighborhood flew by quickly. Lots of money was spent on food, cute stationary, clothes, and couple accessories. Seulmi was the one to buy the couple accessories, though.

 

6 fast hours flew by and it was time for them to make dinner.

 

Seulmi and Luhan drove to Luhan’s household to fix up dinner. Just like they planned, they were making dinner for themselves, no ordering and no outside help. Luhan got all of the ingredients that he bought yesterday out of the pantry and fridge. Both of them threw on a handy apron and washed their hands.

 

“So what are you planning to cook for today, Chef Han?” Luhan asked.

“Oh… so I’m a princess in the morning and a chef at night?” Seulmi joked.

“Well… uhh…”

Seulmi scoffed childishly, “Typical husband-like behavior…”

 

Luhan patted her head and they went on with cutting ingredients.

“Spaghetti is on the menu tonight!” Seulmi told him as she scanned through the table full of everything that used to be in the fridge.

“Spaghetti? Do you know how to make spaghetti?” Luhan asked, worried.

“Of course~ I watched my dad make it once when he video chat me. That was about a year ago, but I’m sure that all we need is some meat, noodles, and tomato. Salt is also needed but that’s made with the sauce.” She explained.

Luhan nodded wisely. “Simple enough.”

Luhan was in charge of boiling the noodles and mixing the sauce while Seulmi was in charge of cutting the vegetables, blending the tomato, and also cutting the meat into tiny pieces.

5 minutes passed and the noodles were boiling, the vegetables were cut and the sauce was cooking. While Luhan was waiting for the noodles to soften in the pot, he made some instant bubble tea.

 

Seulmi glanced at him concentrating and giggled, “You really know how to make a perfect dinner date, Han. I can tell you that!” She said with a smile.

 

Luhan chuckled and boiled the boba balls for the bubble tea in a separate, tiny pot.

 

 

~

 

 

15 minutes later.

 

The dinner was ready and the table was set. The two lovebirds removed their aprons and cleaned the kitchen, quickly. Both of them admired the well set up dinner table and even took pictures. Luhan was sure to send it to Tao later on.

“Waaah~! Han, isn’t it so pretty?” Seulmi admired.

“The food?”

She glared at him as if he was stupid. “No, silly. How we managed to make all of this! Just the two of us!”

Luhan blushed a little bit. “Like husband and wife?” He raised his eyebrows while Seulmi furrowed hers.

“Don’t get too ahead of yourself, Han.” She giggled and sat down.

Luhan sat across from her and started feasting on the spaghetti.

 

 

~

 

“Waahh… Cooking is hard work!” Seulmi complained once she finished her plate and bubble tea.

Luhan finished before her and was just finishing his bubble tea.

 

“Looks like we finished all of it.” Luhan pointed at the bowl that used to be filled with spaghetti.

 

Seulmi groaned. “Great, now we have to wash the dishes…”

 

 

~

 

 

 

This is the first chapter that I typed onto my phone first, so there might be MANY MANY typos and mistakes. This chapter is revealing just one secret and the next chapter will portray suspicions between the two lovebirds. Secrets are dangerous... lol.

Make sure to stay tuned. I know its getting boring but I think the ending will give you absolutely no regrets. The ending isn't near yet, but its close enough that I'm already thinking about all of the details.

 

OTL... bad writer... Mianhaeyo~

 

No New Subscribers

 

 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COMMENT YOUR OPINION DOWN BELOW... when it gets lonely, I usually think that people aren't interested.

 

Please also upvote if you like it and comment your opnions or even feels^^

 

Thank you for reading~! I love all of you~! Saranghabnida~~!! <3333