The Deal

Replacing Sunshine

 

Chapter 5:

 

 

Luhan’s POV

 

 

Monday again…

 

Seulmi has been a bit apologetic ever since Saturday. She’s been apologizing repetitively for keeping me from going home that night. I actually was the one who didn’t want to go home. I had nothing to do at home and she needed me. She didn’t say anything about Kai ever since we departed from the park after sunset. Her mom invited me inside for dinner and I couldn’t refuse for it would be impolite.

We had a dinner like how every whole family would. We only had Mr. Han missing. Mr. Han has actually met me before over video chat. He would often video chat Seulmi whenever he had the time and I would often be over at the Han residence. I met him for the first time on video chat in mid-July. He asked for me sometimes too. Seulmi would sometimes come to school telling me “My dad asked how you were.” Mr. Han is a very nice man. I wish I could meet him in person someday.

 

 

Monday was like every other normal school day. Mental torture in the classroom, harsh comments outside of the classroom, and cold weather to keep up either frozen awake or finding it hard to stay awake. Seulmi was her quiet but somewhat positive self today, much to my relief.

During the entire day, she didn’t even glance over to the other side of room, where Kai sat. I could tell that she really tried not to. Saturday, she promised herself to start trying to move on from the dark past and move forward to the bright future. She didn’t even mention Kai or paid any attention to any of the gossip that involved her and Kai. She walked around proudly, with her head up and heart happy. She brought me everywhere she went, because she had no one else. Everybody else despised her because they thought that she was lying for being best friends with the most popular guy in school. But that didn’t bother her either. If they don’t accept her, she won’t pay any attention to them.

After school.

 

 

I was last to leave to classroom because I had to organize some papers I got back from the teacher. Seulmi was waiting in the parking lot, beside my car, since I had to take her home. I take her home every day if we don’t have any other plans. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, knowing that it would be Seulmi, I answered immediately.

 

“Yoboseyo?” I answered.

“Oh! Luhan!”

“Yeah?”

“What’s taking you so long?”

“I’m still in the classroom. I’ll be out soon.” I placed the phone between my shoulder and my ear, to keep my hands free.

“You take so long…”

“Just wait a couple more minutes. I’m almost there. I’m going out right now.”

“Fine. Bballi…”

“Uh-huh… bye~!”

“Bye~!”

 

The call ended.

 

 

~

 

Seulmi’s POV

 

 

Finally, Luhan arrived after a few more minutes. Before we knew it, we were already heading home. Luhan was focusing on the road and I was staring out the window until he started speaking.

 

“So your birthday is on Friday…” He started, glancing over to me with a cute grin.

I nodded.

“So what do you want for your birthday?”

“You don’t have-“

“Uh- uh! I’m getting you a gift whether you like it or not, no questions asked and no objections.”

As expected, he would say that. I just sighed.

“This is your first birthday that I will be spending with you.” He reminded, “Since it’s the first, it has to be memorable.”

“Makes sense…” I nodded in agreement.

“So what do you want?”

“Nothing in particular. Why don’t you just surprise me.”

Luhan thought for a few seconds before agreeing.

“Fine. So I’ll give it to you once we meet at school on Friday.” He planned.

“Agreed.” I smiled as I nodded once again.

 

~

 

 

Jongin’s POV

 

 

It’s Seulmi’s Birthday on Friday.

 

Should I give her something?

 

No no no… I can’t.

 

She hates me already and I have to pretend to hate her back. I have to let her move on and to do that, I have to move on as well. I have to forget about her in order for her to forget about me.

 

I sighed as I walked home. Thoughts flew around my head rapidly.

 

I need something to get my mind off of Seulmi for a while. What do I do?

 

~

 

Soon, I arrived home to my mom since my dad would most likely be either working or out with some friends.

 

“Mom~! I’m home~!” I yelled out once I stepped in.

“Over here, Jongin!” She responded with the same volume of yelling.

 

I walked into the kitchen, planting a slight kiss on her cheek.

“So how was school?” She kindly asked as she was cutting vegetables for dinner.

 

I grabbed a water bottle from the fridge and opened it with a snap before leaning on the counter beside her, answering her everyday question.

“Bearable…” I blankly answered before taking a sip from my water bottle.

“Something wrong?”

I heavily sighed and took another sip of water before closing the lid again.

“Mom, do you think that it was right for me to leave Seulmi?” I asked her.

She stopped for a moment to look at me meaningfully.

“I feel that it was a very thoughtful thing to do for her, but I don’t think that it was necessary for you to leave her. I mean, she has been your best friend for as long as I could remember.”

I hung my head, facing the ground, feeling guilty.

“I just didn’t want to hurt her, mom. But now I think that I’m hurting her more.” I explained.

“Maybe that’s a way that you know you love her.” Umma glanced at me with one of her warm motherly smiles.

I smiled back.

“But I can’t just watch her live without me all my life. I need to get my mind off of her for a while.”

 

“Find a hobby, maybe?” Umma suggested.

“Mom, I dance…”

“Oh, right.”

We stood there pondering until Umma suggested one last thing.

 

 

“Why don’t you start dating again?”

 

 

~

 

 

Tuesday Morning.

 

 

*Date? I haven’t dated ever since middle school, junior high*

 

But of course, none of those girls I dated when I was about 12 never even dreamt about taking the whole dating thing seriously.

 

As I walked into the same-old classroom, I looked around to lay eyes on every single girl.*

 

*Which one would I actually enjoy spending time with and be worth spending my feelings on?*

I sighed heavily, finding it useless, and sat in my seat.

 

 

I promised myself years ago that my mother and Seulmi would be the only deeply loved females in my life until I find a decent job. But I already broke part of that promise, now that Seulmi isn’t even part of my life anymore.*

 

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by an irritating noise. Oh wait… that’s a voice. Unfortunately, that bratty girl’s voice, Lee Jinah.

“Kai~! Kaaaaiiii~! Kai Kim~! Kaaaaiii~! Earth to Kai~!” I turned to her direction, which was still beside me, since she’s still my desk partner.

“What.” I asked, very annoyed.

 

Smiling fakely just like she always does, she asked me a nerve raging question, especially for a boy who just arrived to planet Earth from daydreaming.

“Does my makeup look okay?” She raised her eyebrows as she moved her head side to sidefor me to look over her heavy portion of makeup.

 

*Like seriously… you interrupt me for THAT?*

 

I rolled my eyes and held out my hand for her to stop.

“Why do you have to ask me? Why don’t you ask those girls behind us?” I asked her, trying to be as polite and patient as I possibly can.

She glanced over to the girls behind us, who were chatting among one another and giggling. Then she glanced back to me.

“Because I don’t feel that they understand the meaning of beauty.” She cockily declared.

 

I was maybe about ready talk back to her and maybe tell her off, but that would cause some commotion. So I just coldly glared at her and looked away, rolling my eyes, silently venting some informal words.

 

She scoffed and crossed her arms, looking away as well.

“What an …” I heard her curse under her breath.

 

I couldn’t care less. Even though she’s one of the most popular girls in the school, a model, and an ulzzang, she’s an airhead and the brattiest person I have ever met. She gossips madly, makes up rumors, and is full of arrogance. Such a brat.

 

I still want to tape shut and I’m sure everyone else does too.

 

 

~

 

 

Lunch.

 

 

I sat with some fellow kingkas at lunch. I actually don’t see anything attractive from them besides their appearances. They’re all like little toddlers that still need babysitting.

 

“You know who I think you would look good with, Kai?” Sehun, the only one younger than me from the group, started.

“Who?” I asked as I poked a straw through my tiny milk carton.

“ShinYoung, the senior.”

 

I nearly spit out my milk.

 

I shook my head rapidly.

“You mean the big time queenka, Kim ShinYoung?” I confirmed.

Sehun nodded.

“Hah… no.”

“Why not?” He whined, childishly.

“She’s completely out of my league. She’s an honor student, one of the top 5 of the school! She’s also a model abroad and rejects about a hundred confessions a day.”

“She’s also very polite and accepting.”

“Forget it, Sehun.” I shook my head.

 

A few seconds later, more of our friends brought their lunch trays to the table.

“Forget what?” Baekhyun hyung budged into the conversation as he sat beside me.

“Nothing hyu-“ I tried ending the topic, but was rudely interrupted.

“Kai is looking for a girl to date.” Sehun answered Baekhyun.

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo, who sat down as well, giggled. Baekhyun’s chuckle followed.

“So you want to start dating, huh?” Baekyun nudged my shoulder.

I heaved a sigh, causing him to pat my back.

“Is it to make that girl you like, Seulmi, jealous?” Chanyeol asked as he opened his bag of chips.

“Seulmi doesn’t even know I like her.” I paused, “She thinks I hate her. This dating thing is just to get her off of my mind for a while, let her live her life.”

They nodded wisely before Baekhyun suggested another person.

“What about Jinah?”

“Which one?”

“Lee Jinah… she’s pretty, right? She’s also very popular.”

 

My eyes widened into golf balls.

“NO NO NO NO~! STOP~! I can’t date her.” I instantly replied in terror.

“Why not?” Kyungsoo asked.

“She’s a brat! All she is a popular, arrogant brat!”

“Yes, but she can keep you busy.” Kyungsoo added.

“You’ll die of annoyance before you even think of Seulmi.” Chanyeol giggled.

“Yeah, hyung. Why don’t you give her a shot?” Sehun convinced.

“She defines everything I hate in a girl! She’s impolite, gossips a lot, dependent on makeup, and is it not already obvious that she’s a bit airheaded.” I defended.

“Well, would you rather stare at Seulmi and Luhan all your life?” Baekhyun closed the big argument.

 

Unfortunately, I could only give in. There’s no one else in the school that would keep me busy enough. The rest of the girls would either be studying or perfecting themselves for future opportunities of a job and even modeling. But don’t get me wrong, I respect those types of girls who would rather prepare themselves for a better future rather than drowning themselves in makeup to show off to other guys. Jinah is already a model and everybody knows that she doesn’t study. Another thing, she doesn’t even receive very many confessions. No to be mean of anything, I’m just being honest.

 

 

~

 

 

After school.

 

 

The bell rang. I closed my notebook, relieved that I finished my notes in time. Jinah turned her phone off and brought it up from under the desk, where she’s been staring at since all she did during class was scroll through fashion websites. She packed up her unfinished papers and stuffed it into her handbag. I rushed out before her and waited beside the door to pull her over. Once she passed my area, I interrupted her walking.

 

“Lee Jinah…” I softly called out to her, not to attract attention.

She stopped just a few meters away from me.

“Hmm?”

“Can I talk to you for minute?”

Without even waiting for an answer I already lead her to where I wanted to talk to her. It was in a nearby abandoned classroom. I opened the door and we walked inside. I drew her into a corner, where people outside won’t see us.

 

“What?” She asked, boringly.

“You won’t like what I’m going to say.” I warned her, knowing I won’t either.

She stood still and waited.

“Date me” I shot, straight forward.

A few seconds later, she showed a confused face with a bit of an “are-you-nuts” face.

“Uhhh… what??” She asked for me to repeat.

“I don’t want to say it again. I already hate it enough that I had to say it once.”

“Wait… but if you hate it, then why do you want to do it?”

“Look. I need it. You need it.”

“Why do I need to date you?”

“More good talky-talky from people outside. They find out that you’re dating a Kingka, you’re talked about everyday.”

She looked like she was about to give in.

“Then why do you need to date me?”

“Because I’m making a girl jealous.”  *Lie* *Well…. Yea… no, stop lying to yourself, Jongin~!*

Jinah nodded wisely, trying to think everything through.

“Fine.”

 

I heaved a sigh. *Great. I can’t believe I did this.*

 

“So from now on, you’re my boyfriend?” She asked to confirm.

“As much as I hate it, yes. But this is only for personal reasons. We’re not a real, lovey-dovey couple, alright?” I explained, “No skin ship and no puppy names unless it’s extremely necessary.”

She smirked. “I wouldn’t dream of it.”

I held my hand out for a professional handshake. “Deal? ‘Girlfriend’?”

 

She gave into the handshake and grinned.

 

“Deal. Boyfriend.”

 

 

~

 

 

Sorry for the extremely looooooonnnnnnngggg chapter. I couldn't split it because then it would only be two short chapters. 10,000+ characters in this chapter. Shorry about the huge load. This chapter is when Jinah is introduced to the story. She makes a big part in scenes later on.

 

I have absolutely no negetively feelings towards the ulzzang in real life. She's actually very pretty and I know nothing of her true identity. She may porbably be a real sweetheart in real life, but she's going to play a bratty, airheaded model in my story. No bashing, She's a well admired ulzzang and I had nothing against her.