Give up

Replacing Sunshine

Chapter 3:

 

 

Seulmi’s POV

 

 

 

I’m really bored.

 

Umma is at work. She felt early for have breakfast meeting with a co-worker she owed. So I’m here, at home, alone and don’t know what to do. I slept until 10, which is pretty late for me. My mom left a glass of milk in the fridge and some pancakes on the stove. They were consumed within just a few minutes. After breakfast, I walked back into my some-what messy room. My light pink pajamas decorated with white clouds contrasted with my pure white v-neck, keeping me comfortable in the house.

I scanned around my room, as I heard a familiar beeping melody from my laptop. I’m so unorganized; I don’t even know where I left my laptop. I found it charging in the corner of room.

I opened the lid and read “incoming video chat request”

 

Of course, it was Luhan.

 

I answered.

 

“Hello! Hello!” He joyfully greeted, waving to his webcam.

“Annyeong~” I waved back.

“Did you sleep well?”

“Are you always going to ask me that?”

He shrugged innocently.

I sighed and answered his pointless question, “Yes, I slept fine, Han.”

“Because of me, huh?”

I just giggled.

“See… I am so helpful! What would you do without me?” He flattered himself.

I rolled my eyes and stuck my tongue out at him, earning a hearty chuckle from him.

 

 

I settle the laptop on top of my desk and sat on the desk’s matching office seat. I rested my elbow into the table surface, letting my chin lean onto my palm, and scrolled through my phone blankly. Luhan was still video chatting me, but we were barely even chatting. He was finishing his extra credit homework, which he didn’t even have to do, since it was extra credit. He didn’t even need extra credit. He has straight A’s and is an honor student, for crying out loud. But he’s an over achiever like that. He believes that knowledge has beauty too.

I have to say… Luhan has potential.

 

About to die of boredom, I interrupted Luhan’s intense focus.

“Luhan! What should I do?! I’m dying of boredom here!” I whined to him.

His eyes suddenly shot up to the sound of my hideous whining.

“Why don’t you just watch a movie? Watch TV.” He suggested.

“But I want to do something useful.”

Luhan went back to writing, but all of a sudden started giggling.

“What are you laughing at?!”

“You want to be helpful?”

“Yeah… so?”

“Well, that’s the first…” He laughed.

“YAAAHH~!”

 

 

~

 

It came to the stage of desperation and extreme need to find something to do. Luhan just told me to clean my room or read a book for once.

 

I’ll just clean my room.

 

 

~

 

Jongin’s POV

 

Saturdays are lonely sometimes. Now that I let Seulmi out of my life, my weekends are pretty much empty. Both of my parents are busy people and they booked the whole weekend for a business trip. Since I have nothing to do, I decided to just take a walk outside. I grabbed my beanie and black jacket, heading outside. If I have nothing to do at home, I might as well get my out the door before I fall asleep again. The cold air hit my face right when I opened the door, making me have second thoughts.

I started walking down the road and to block out all of sounds of the big city, I stuck my earphones into my ears. The music played softly and I became so distracted with thoughts in my head that I became unaware of where I was heading. However, I couldn’t care less of where I was going. I just kept walking. Maybe a miracle would just appear in front of me or something.

 

~

 

 

Seulmi’s POV

 

My room was actually looking a lot better. I just had to reorganize some things and throw away some trash. But then I came across something I shouldn’t have.

A ring.

A simple silver ring with a dark wavy engraving throughout the middle of the ring until it all meets into a tiny engraved flower. The ring was simple, but it was also complicated. It carried hundreds of memories of the times Jongin and I were still best friends.

 

*Flashback*

 

We actually had spark at this time. We were 14 and entering the brand new world of high school. It was just the two us, best friends, together as we walked our path. I secretly liked him. I wanted to be with him for all 4 years and if I was lucky, maybe even more. But I would never let my feelings ruin our relationship. A friendship should stay a friendship unless both of us felt the same way. Being his friend was all I needed from him. I didn’t need any romantic, lovey-dovey feelings from him. I didn’t ask for anything more.

It was my 14th birthday and I had no party of any sort. My mother just gave me some new clothes and my dad sent a birthday card and promise that he’ll come back soon. I was happy with what I was given. I didn’t even expect much from Jongin. All I wanted was for him to greet me a “Happy Birthday” and maybe a hug.

I neatly curled my hair and wore some extra makeup just for my special day. Jongin and I visited the park after school since we didn’t have any homework to do.

 

We sat on the swings, beside each other and swung gently. All of a sudden, he interrupted the silence.

“So what’s your birthday wish?” He asked me.

“I don’t really wish for much.” I answered honestly.

“Well… what about a birthday cake? You don’t even have a birthday cake today.”

“I’m okay with it.”

“What about your dad to come back?”

“I already know he will. Once he’s finished working in America, he’ll come back.”

I smiled hopefully and Jongin was touched. He grinned and stuck his hand in his pocket.

 

“What about your best friend to give you the best birthday present ever?” He suggested.

I looked over to him, curiously as he handed me a small box with a cute ribbon on top.

 

I glanced back at him, seeing him smiling sweetly before I opened the box.

It was the ring.

 

I was in awe of how pretty in was. I gasped slightly and my eyes couldn’t pry away from it until Jongin stood up from his swing and slowly removed the ring from the box.

Much to my surprise, he slowly grabbed my right hand and put the ring through my right ring finger.

 

“Do you like it? I saved up some of my lunch money for it.” He cheekily smiled as he stared into my eyes.

I was speechless even thought this was such a small act of his. My heart thumped rapidly and I my waterline began to flood.

“Oh? Why are you tearing up? Do you not like it?” He asked, worried.

I shook my head. “No, Jongin… I love it.”

I stood up from my swing hugged him tightly before he hugged me back just as tight.

“Happy Birthday~!” He cheered as he swung side to side during the hug. “Maybe I can give you something even better next year!”

“Maybe…” I giggled.

 

*End of Flashback*

 

I unconsciously smiled at the wonderful memories from just a few years ago, but then a frown followed once I realized that those times were over and most likely will never happen again. Those times disappeared so quickly and I don’t even know why.

But those memories are worth cherishing and worth holding on to. He may be different now, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t keep holding onto the past.

I placed to ring back onto my right ring finger and admire it for quite a while until I realized that I had to check the mailbox for mail.

I rushed outside, opening our mailbox full of bills and store coupons. I flipped through the envelopes and papers before going inside and threw the useless ones away in the trash bin, in front of our driveway. I was only left with a few envelopes so I stuck them in the back pocket of my pajamas. I was about to turn the doorknob to go back inside until I heard an unexpected voice.

“So I see you still have the ring I gave you…”

 

My eyes widened.

 

Jongin?

 

 

 

I slowly turned to his direction, instantly filling up with the need to either run away or hug him. But neither would be very polite.

Looking into those eyes I used to always see, I had no idea how to respond.

“Jongin… I.. I… uhh… umm..” I stuttered madly.

He only scoffed. “You just can’t accept it, can you?” He shot.

I was silent and confused.

“Can’t you just give up, Seulmi?” He continued, “Stop hoping that we’ll ever be friends again. Because you’re wasting your time.”

 

He glanced down to the ring and I couldn’t help but tear up. The person in front of me right now, he resembled a sibling to me. Someone that meant so much to me. But now I watch him mentally throw rocks at me.

My hands formed into fists, but I defended myself and fought back. I can’t show him that I’m weak.

“Well maybe I want to waste my time, Jongin. Maybe hope is all I have. Why don’t you just tell me what I’m doing wrong? Or what I did wrong? Why did you leave me? What did I do?”

“You want to know why I left you, Seulmi?” He coldly asked. “Because there’s so much more people that can I can spend time on than a piece of trash like you.”

 

I gave up my defense and tears fell to the ground and my efforts were useless. My insides shattered.

I’m fine with other people calling me trash, but it was different for Jongin. He had enough of me to destroy me, which is exactly what he did.

 

“Throw the ring away, Seulmi. Go cry to your Chinese friend to by you another one.”

“Don’t bring Luhan into this!” I unexpectedly raised my voice. “Luhan is exactly what you were! Throw rocks at me whenever you want, but leave Luhan out of this. He has nothing to do with you!”

“Then maybe you should be the same.” Jongin coldly shot back. “You have nothing to do with me and I have nothing to do with you. At least not anymore.”

 

My urge to scream rocketed. I couldn’t find the right words. But I couldn’t just show him how vulnerable I am. I sniffed and held my emotions back, knowing that I’m going to regret what I’m about to do next.

I clenched my teeth and removed the ring from my finger. Wiping my tears with my palm, I took one last look at the ring. I stared into his icy eyes and held out the piece of jewelry.

 

“We have nothing to do with each other?” I painfully repeated. “So be it.”

 

Without any more hesitation, I threw the ring somewhere to the left. His gaze followed the direction of the ring, before looking back to me. But before I could even think about locking gazes with him, I turned back to the door, stormed inside, slamming the door between us.

 

 

~

 

I write such long chapters.... I split chapter 2 up too! Oh my gosh...

 

This chapter introduces Kai's feelings for Seulmi then and now, however his feelings never really changed. He still loves her, but he just shows it in such a painful way.

Poor Seulmi... I just wanna hug her...

 

So wierd how I'm so attached with my own story....

 

New Subscriber:

 

taecmars

 

Thank you sooo much for reading! I hope you enjoy and comment your opinion! And if you like the story, make sure to upvote! Kamsahabnida~! Saranghaeyoo >.<