Last Moments

Replacing Sunshine

 

Chapter 16:

 

 

Narrator's POV

 

 

Luhan still had no idea that she remembered Jongin, so he tried his best to tell her the stories of their happy times and only the happy times. Hr wanted to heal her, help her remember those times. But its all dramatic irony from here.

 

 

2 days later. Thursday.

 

 

"It's my dad's birthday today" She told him with a smile.

He smiled back. "Did you greet him yet?"

She nodded. "He said that he would call me before work. He would call me with his old Korean sim card so that he can be able to talk to me even without video chat."

"Did your mom greet him too?"

"Yes. We video chatted him last night so that he wouldn't have to worry about time zone. He would call us again tonight, when its his birthday over there too."

"That's great~ When he calls, wish him a happy birthday for me."

Seulmi nodded joyfully and went back to writing.

 

 

~

 

 

After School.

 

Seulmi was waiting long for Mr. Han's call. 7:40 pm, she finally go it. It was early in the morning in New York, very foggy, because of gloomy, cold weather.

 

Seulmi's phone rang, revealing her dad's number. She instantly answered it, putting it to her ear.

 

"Appa?"

"Seul~ Annyeong~"

 

Seulmi felt tears surrrounding her waterline.

"I thought you weren't going to call..." She told him.

"I can always make time for you, sweetie."

She smiled widely, just hearing his voice.

"Happy Birthday, Dad."

"Thanks, Seul... How are you? How's mom?"

"We're good." She sniffed in her tears.

"Seul, are you crying?"

Sniffing again, she wiped her eyes, "Maybe..."

"You shouldn't cry. Its my birthday, at least promise me to be happy on my birthday. We even talked less than a month ago."

She sniffed again. "I just... I just miss you, dad... Everyday, I wish you were here. I wish you were here to hug everyday, come home to everyday."

Her eyes began to release more and more tears.

"I'll be there soon. I promise. And plus, I'm always with you, aren't I?"

It was a relief for her to hear that.

"So what are you doing right now?" She asked, changing the topic.

"I just got onto the road, driving to work."

"And how's work?"

"Stable. Yet boring." He joked, earning a giggle from his daughter.

"By the way, dad. Luhan greeted you a happy birthday too."

"Really? Tell him I said Thank you."

"Okay."

"Did you do your homework yet?"

"Yes, I'm done."

"That's good. Remember to maintain good grades and - OH MY GOSH~ STUPID DRIVER~"

Seulmi grew confused. "Dad, are you okay?"

"Yeah, honey. Just big city traffic you know?"

"Oh... Okay. Be careful..."

"Of course, sweetie. But I have to go now. I love you~" His tone grew panicked.

"Dad, is something wrong? Are you alright?"

"WHAT THE-" A loud destructive sound filled Seulmi's ears with worry and terror.

 

Not knowing what happened, the call was disconnected.

"DAD? DAADD? APPPAA~! YOBOSEYO~"

 

She called back. 1 time more, 2 times more, 5 times, 10 times, 20 Times. No answer.

 

 

45 minutes passed and Mrs. Han came into her room to find out what all of the panic was about.

"Seulmi what's going on?" She found her beside her bed, staring at her phone then putting it to her ear every 10 seconds.

"Mom~ Somethings wrong with dad~ There was a sudden crashing noise and yelling and.... It suddenly disconnected~ He won't answer anymore! What's going on!"

Seulmi was in panick and tears. She sat there in her pajamas, dialing over and over.

Mrs. Han came to her and waited with her.

"He'll be fine, Seul. He's a good man." She told her daughter.

"But sometimes good people fall too..." she sobbed, "I can't afford to lose him, Mom~ I can't~"

 

Calls became useless until ine was actually answered.

 

 

~

 

 

New York City.

 

Mr. Han suffered a severe car accident involving a car running straight towards Mr. Han's driver side. He inly survived 3 minutes after the accident. Paramedics arrived shortly after, but not reaching him on time. Both drivers were killed leaving no case to file.

When the paramedics helped him into the ambulance, they also found his ringing phone on the passenger seat.

 

With sympathy, he kept it within the ambulance with Mr. Han.

 

 

When the paramedics found out that the victim was no longer breathing and no longer will, they arrived at the hospital, immediately leading him to the room with the other deceased.

 

The paramedic that let Mr. Han bring his phone, finally answered it.

 

Hearing a young woman's voice, he assumed that it was the victim's daughter.

 

"APPA~ WHAT HAPPENED~ I WAS SO WORRIED~!" She cried out, however the paramedic didn't understand, for it was Korean.

 

"Is this Mr. Han's family?" He asked Seulmi.

 

Seulmi, who studied English very hard with Luhan, understood his English and responded back in English.

 

"Yes... It is... Who is this?"

"This is a paramedic from New York City Hospital. I'm am sorry to imform you unfortunate news."

"What happened to my dad?"

"Miss, I'm sorry to say that Mr. Han suffered a severe accident and his injuries did not let him get to the hospital alive... Your father has passed away."

 

Seulmi felt weakness devour her body, making her feel numb. Her hands trembled from weakness and defeat, causing her to burst into tears and break down. Mrs. Han stood next to her, crying as well, but still comforted her daughter, hugging her and rubbing her back.

 

Seulmi was gasping for air and screamed her heart out, mercilessly.

"NO NO NO~ ITS NOT TRUE~" She turned to her mom, "MOM... HE'S STILL ALIVE~ I KNOW HE IS~ HE PROMISED TO COME BACK~ He's still okay~ HE PROMISED~ MOM! HE'S STILL ALIVE~!"

Mrs. Han only shook her head. "Seulmi..."

"MOM~ You said that he'll be fine! You said he was a good man~! He's still alive~"

Mrs. Han could only hug her daughter and comfort her.

"He's reason why I did my best in school, mom~ he's the reason why I looked forward to every night, thinking that he would call, saying that he was coming home. I haven't even hugged him for so long... Or tell him that I love him in person, or see his face off of a video chat screen. Now I'll never be able to see that!"

"Honey, he loved you... And he's not leaving us... He's still here. He's watching over us now..."

Seuomi only sobbed more. "But I want him here... I want him here beside us, to tell hug him and hold him. I want to see him. I want to see him, Mom..."

"I want to see him too, sweetie... But we Both know we cant..."

 

Seulmi sobbed and sobbed endlessly. No one knew her state besides her Mother until the next day.

 

 

 

~

 

 

Luhan's POV

 

 

The bell rang.

 

Seulmi should be here by now. She's never late or absent without me knowing. Roll call was being called and no one answered for her name. I was worried. What if she was in another accident?

 

The hours of class became longer as I waited for her to come out that door, apologizing for being late. But that never happened. I texted her everg 20 minutes, asking if she was okay and what she was doing. Why isn't she at school?

 

I called her during lunch and break, but every single one was rejected.

 

I ran out of the class once the last bell rang, rushing towards her house.

 

I was worried to death. To death.

 

 

~

 

Narrator's POV

 

 

Seulmi was in her room all day, lifeless and blank. To define her states simply, she was depressed. She's never been more depressed in her entire life. Mrs. Han didn't come out of her room either, but she accepted it quicker than Seulmi did.

 

Seulmi heard every call and text sent to her. Her phone rung constantly, but she ignored them, even if they were from Luhan.

 

She knew that he would stop by to check on her, but she wanted to be alone. She wanted to be alone for just one day. Ahe believed that no one was able to heal her heart at the moment. Not even Luhan.

 

She locked her door and even blocked it with her nightstand, just so that no one else could get in. Then she got back into her bed, and laid there, blankly

 

 

~

 

 

Luhan's POV

 

 

I knocked on her front door once I got to Seulmi's house. I knocked until I realized that it I had a key. She gave me a house key a long time ago just in case anything bad happens and I gave her mine. I ublocked the front door and went it. I knocked on her door, no answer.

 

She's home right?

 

I knocked on Mrs. Han's door too, but instead of silence, she actually opened the door.

 

Ahe looked as if she was crying all day. I started to worry even more.

"Eumoni~" I was shocked to see her state.

 

She was always a cheerful and happy woman. Her eyes showed a pleading expression, desperate even.

"Luhan... You shouldn't be here." She told me, sadly.

 

"But why?"

 

"Something terrible happened and Seulmi and I just couldn't stand the impact. We just need some time alone."

"Is she okay?"

She shook her head. "She needs time, Luhan"

"What happened anyways?"

It took her seconds to reply. She sighed, "Her father, my husband passed away in a car accident last night."

 

I was taken back. Mr. Han? Passed away?

 

"Eumoni... I'm so sorry... My severe condolences..."

 

She only nodded. "I hope you understand what she's going through now..."

"I do..."

"Please give her time, Luhan. She needs time alone, to refresh."

 

I nodded.

 

"Thank you, Han. Thanj you for your concern as well."

 

She closed the door and I could only stare at Seulmi's door in sorrow.

 

 

I knocked softly, but with no intentions of going inside now.

 

"Seulmi.... I know it's hard. I'm not asking you to open up or tell you that its okay. Because I know that those things are not what you want to hear..." I spoke through the door. "Just know that I'm here for you and I always will, through thick and thin, I'll be here for you. Lean on me if you ever feel like crying. Speak to me if you ever feel like you have too much weight in your chest. I'll cry with you, laugh with you, fight with you and for you. And I know that your dad would've too..... Come out whenever you feel like it... I'll be here.... I love you, Seulmi... See you soon..."

 

 

~

 

 

So sorry to drag you guys through a sad chapter. So so so so so sorry.

 

You know what I hate? Lawsuits. And stupid SM.

 

 

Sorry for posting the Subscribers late! My laptop was reset and I had to do all these wierd and crazy recovery processes. I will re-post them on the next chapter^^

 

 

 

New Subscribers:

 

Rynyxx

exoticbaby90

 

Thank you sooo very much for subscribing~! I'm so sorry for the wait and for not updating you guys as the recent subs. As it says on top, I had technical difficulties. Please keep reading! I promise that the ending will be great. I would appreciate comments and your opinions, or even feels^^, also upvote if you're liking it so far^^ Thank you again, chingus~! Have an awesome day.