Hello, goodbye

Begin Again

It was finally the day. Could you just stay on bed and sleep until you miss the flight? You didn’t want to wake up from this dream. Maldives was too good to leave. You didn’t have enough of Maldives’s air and sun. You knew you have to wake up from this beautiful dream at any moment. You opened the eyes and found Onew sleeping next to you. You got a shock when you saw his peaceful face few centimeters from yours. You weren’t a morning person. It took you four seconds to remember why Onew slept next to you and that actually it was you who asked him to stay. You stretched your arms and legs and rolled off of the bed as your heart began to beat at its normal pace.

After taking a shower and wore the dress you chose last night, Onew finally woke up. He still was on the bed.

“You’ve to go now?” he said with husky voice.

“Yep. I’ve to pack few things and I’ll be ready to leave.”

“You won’t have breakfast?”

“I don’t have much time. I’m sure in the airplane they will give me some ty breakfast to eat.”

“In that case I’ll stay here. Since we don’t have much time together I want to spend every second with you.”

You felt uncomfortable with his words. Is he going to miss me? You thought. Of course you will miss him, you already got used to his presence but after few days you were sure you will get over it and return to your normal life without Onew. After all, you have lived without Onew for 20 years compared to the week you have been with him. But will he do the same? Will he also forget you and return to his normal life?

You could never get attached to a person very deeply. Jjong often calls you a cold person or a because it seemed that you didn’t care about anyone or you didn’t have feelings. Onew said he will go to Santiago, Chile, for work and you will go back to Seoul. There was no chance to meet him again. Since the first day you met you knew you won’t meet him again that was why you never grew deep feelings for him. You didn’t even think about a long distance relationship. You hated distance. You meet someone nice and they are always far away from where you live. That’s why the farewell wasn’t hard and no one shed tears.

Onew still was in his pajamas and you were all dressed up. Last night you didn’t see him well. He was hot wearing shorts and an oversized tee. He looked comfortable walking around like this; however, you were happy you changed the cute flannel pajama. It made you feel ridiculous when you had a handsome man beside you.

“It was really nice to meet you, Selene.”

“It was nice to meet you too. I hope the next time we meet you are a professor.”

He smiled.

“So, ummh, I’m leaving now.”

You gave him an awkward hug which he returned with a tight and warm hug. Oh, he was a hug-person. You got away from his arms and carried your only suitcase and your purse outside. You waved him goodbye with your free hand one last time.

“Selene.”

You turned around. “Yes?”

“Can you call me when you arrive? I just want to check you arrive safe. You don’t have to call me, a text message is okay.”

You smiled. “I will. Bye, Onew.”

“Bye, Selene.”

Bye, Maldives. You thought.

 

***

 

You didn't expect Jjong would come to pick you up at the airport. He was holding a placard with your name and few childish doodles around your name. He also wrote noona beside your name. He never calls you noona eve though you were his noona for two months. You smiled as soon as you saw him. You screamed like a little girl before throwing your arms to hug him. He was the only person that you could hug without feeling uncomfortable.

“You look hot, Selene. Wait, you also look… happy.”

“Of course I am, I'm back home. You know I can’t travel for too many days. Homesick.”

He surrounded your shoulders with his arm. “Let’s go. You’ve to tell me everything.”

Then Jjong helped you to carry the suitcase to the parking lot. You saw his car and followed behind him. You thought he will ask you many questions but he didn’t. Maybe he was waiting to get home and get comfortable with a cup of hot chocolate. You just leaned against the seat and enjoyed the view of your hometown.

“Can we hear music?”

He shrugged. Okay? Was he in a bad mood?

“What? Why are you frowning? You are not in the mood to hear music?”

Jjong was unusually quiet. He didn’t ask you anything about your trip; if you did something interesting, what you ate, if you met someone. Nothing.

“You’re so quiet. I came mentally prepared to answer all your questions.”

“Funny. The last time I saw you, you were wearing blue jeans, a horrible hoodie and sneakers and crying your heart out. You looked like my little brother. What is this now?” He did a motion with his hand pointing your body.

“What do you mean? It’s a cute dress.”

“Yeah, exactly, it’s a dress. You’re dressed so nicely. The last time you dressed like that was…” He sighed.

“It’s okay, you can say it. The last time I wore a dress was the day I discovered Minho kissing Alexis to not mention they were about to –maybe how many times they have ed before without my knowing– the same day Minho and I were having our anniversary dinner. Such a nice anniversary gift!” you said with irony.

He winced. “Did you meet someone?” He changed the topic.

“Kind of.”

“What? You’ve to tell me everything. You know it has to be approved by me first.” He frowned.

“There’s nothing to tell about. He went to Maldives alone like me. We talked and hung out a few times. Now he will go to Santiago, Chile, and I’m here in Seoul. The end. We won’t know about each other anymore. Jjong, are you okay?”

He wasn’t saying anything. You couldn’t keep a track about his mood swings. He was so excited to hear about this nice guy and now he was like dead bored hearing your boring stories.

“I was expecting to hear a lot of stories about your trip. I’m sure they all are awesome. But I thought you’d like to tell me about them without me asking you first, to be honest. If I don’t ask you anything, you just won’t tell me anything. Something changed your mind about wearing dresses but your attitude is still the same.”

“I love you too, Jonghyun,” you said ironically.

He sighed. “I’m your best friend, Selene. I hurts me you don’t trust me enough to tell me about your feelings.”

“Yeah, and Alexis was also my best friend but she had with my boyfriend. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to say that. I wasn’t comparing you with her.” You sighed.

“That was mean, considering I had feelings for her. You know I’ll never do that to you. I always have to ask you many questions to get few answers from you. I feel like an intruder.”

“I’m sorry. I guess sometimes I’ve this attitude. Just give me some time. I’ll eventually open my heart again. And you’re not an intruder. You’re my best friend. Sorry for being a .”

He smiled and then the Jonghyun you loved came back. You told him about this weird guy staring at you in the restaurant and trying to seduce you with a drink and a note in the cover of your book, and how he ended up being your friend. You called him the Maldives friend since he was your friend in Maldives, now probably you will never see him again.

“I told him about Minho and Alexis.”

“You what?” He put down his iced latte on the table. “Wow, he sure is someone special, the Maldives friend. You never talk about Minho with anyone besides me.”

“Well, I was wasted.” You said a little ashamed. “I was crying over Minho. I decided to get drunk so I could forget him. I guess I drank too much so he took me to his room that night. When I woke up that morning I thought he took advantage of me.”

“Did he?” He clenched his fists.

You shook your head. “He took care of me. He put me on his bed and he slept on the floor.”

“Wow.”

“Exactly, wow. I called him things like ert and disgusting. I’m so sorry and embarrassed. Since then we got a little closer. I told him he was my friend.”

“He sounds like a gentleman, that’s a good sign. How old is he?”

“He's 25. He’s a music teacher aiming to be a professor at a university.”

“Is he good looking? I mean it’s hard to hear from you that a man is good looking. You have such a high expectation on men.”

“Yeah, I could say he is.”

“Did you have a crush on him?”

“Of course not, Jjong.”

“You’ve to overcome you past, Selene. The best way to delete Minho from your life is to date a nice guy. He’s a music teacher, I like that.”

“Date? He’s in Chile now. South America! I’ll never go on a long distance relationship. It’s too complicated. Also, I don’t know if he likes me. And since when you support me in relations issues?”

“Do you like him?”

You thought carefully the answer.

“Honestly, I’m not interested in him. The time I spent with him was nice and fun. He’s a gentleman, funny, handsome, smart and he sings. You know I love men who sing. But that’s all. I never thought of him something else than a good friend.”

“I’ll introduce you some of my friends. I want my Selene back.”

“Jjong, please. Why don't you find a girlfriend for you first?”

“No Jjong, please. And stop being a . You think you’re okay but you’re not. I’m your best friend and I know you well. It hurts me seeing you sad. Come on, it will be fun. You’ve to trust me. You know I have good friends.”

You chuckled. Yeah, maybe it could be fun to hang out with new people.

 


I hope you like it so far ^^