First impression

Begin Again

You waited for Jjong outside the company he was working for. He was so talented he got to work in a big company, write lyrics and compose songs for well known artists. You were so glad for him. But now you didn’t get to see him much, he was always busy. The company was his second home. But it was okay since he enjoyed his work so much.

“Jjong!”

He smiled and waved at you when he saw you. He gave you a hug when he approached you.

“How was last night?”

“What do you mean?”

“Onew stayed in your apartment,” he simply said.

“Yeah, he did. But nothing happened. Hey, ert, nothing happened.”

“Okay, okay. Hey, you have something on your nose.”

“What?”

He grabbed your nose with his thumb and index finger and pinched it. “A nose!”

You laughed at his lame joke. “Keep making music because you’re bad at jokes.”

“But I got to make you laugh.”

“You keep saying weird things about Onew and I.”

He raised his hands up to his face like when you try to prove you are innocent. “I just say what I see.”

“I like him. But we’re just friends. People also think we're together but that’s because the way we treat each other. It’s the same with Onew.”

“If you say so.”

You didn’t say anything else. You kept thinking about what Jjong said. Do people also think I’m with Onew? Maia also thought that. But who the hell cares about what people think. You thought.

“Where’s that café?”

“We are almost there. I can’t believe we haven’t gone together before.”

“So I’m going to finally meet that beautiful woman, uh?”

“Yup. Maia. I hope you like her.”

“I hope she likes me.”

You giggled. “I’m sure she will. She’s a painter. She’s also an artist. Oh, I’m surrounded by artists. Am I the only one studying something not related to art? Oh, there’s the café.”

“Where’s she?”

“Ummh, she’s there!” She was sitting in the same table as usual.

“Where? I can’t see her.”

“I told you, she has long black hair and milky skin. She’s just right in front of you. Oh, she saw us. Say hi!”

“Where? I can’t see her.”

What was wrong with him? He needed to go to the ophthalmologist.

“Hi, Maia. Maia, he is Jjong, my best friend. Jjong, she is Maia.”

You heard Jjong exclaiming an “oh!”

They exchanged shy greetings and you saw Jjong blushed.

“I’m going to buy coffees,” Jjong said.

“Maia doesn’t drink coffee.”

“Oh, what do you want? Tea? A smoothie?”

“Nothing. I’m okay, thanks.”

“I want iced tea.”

“Can you come with me, Selene? I’m not sure which one you want.”

“Okay. I’ll be back in a moment, Maia.”

She nodded and smiled.

“Okay. Tell me your first impression.”

“How did you know…?”

“You think she is pretty, don’t you? You’re nervous.” You giggled.

And I saw you blushing. You thought.

“Well, she’s pretty but I don’t know her. Appearances are deceiving.”

“She’s nice.”

“I don’t know. I wonder why she decided to be your friend.”

“You are so distrustful, Jjong. You never like to meet new people. She talked to me because she had no one in this city and now we’re friends. Is that weird to believe that I also can make friends? It's not like she's the first stranger that have talked to me.”

“And that’s why I only have reliable friends. Being a little distrustful is helpful. I predicted that Minho would be an but you didn’t hear me.”

“Okay, okay. Let’s not talk about that now and buy my iced tea. Let’s just have fun, okay? I’m not asking you to be friends with her, just have fun. You’re always working so hard. You need to relax, Jjong. Relax.”

“Okay.” He ruffled your hair.

“Don’t do that in public!”

He laughed.

Jjong did as promised. He was good at talking with strangers (Well, not only strangers. He was good at talking). He could make friends with everyone but he didn’t trust in anyone, that was why he had only few friends. He can’t handle alcohol well so he doesn’t go out too often, he would rather stay at home in his own world, composing music and writing lyrics than going out to drink something that he couldn't handle well. That’s why you decided to introduce him to Maia. Hopefully they will like each other. Maia also needed to meet more people, and you thought that her personality would match Jjong’s.

You decided to meet again at the café. You had so much fun. Jjong and Maia had so much in common as you predicted. There was a moment you felt ignored but you didn’t mind, you just enjoyed your iced tea while both enjoyed an exciting talk about famous paint works. You also discovered that Maia wasn’t really interested in music. She had acknowledgment about the music industry but she wasn’t interested. That disappointed Jjong a little.

“It was okay.”

“Just okay?”

“Well, I like her. But she doesn’t seem to be interested in the industry of music.”

“But that doesn’t mean she dislike it.”

“You’re right. Anyway, I had fun. Thanks for inviting me. I'm looking forward to the next meeting.”

You linked arms with his and walked to home while talking about random things, about anything that came to your minds until your phone rang and interrupted you.

“I’m sorry.”

It was Onew. He called you excited saying he had something to tell you.

“Can’t you tell me what it is? I’m so curious right now.”

No, no. I’ve to tell you in person. Where are you?

“I’m in my way to home.”

Can I meet you there?

“Sure.”

Okay. I’ll be there in fifteen.

“It was Onew?” Jjong asked.

“He said he has something important to tell me.”

“Okay, have fun. See you tomorrow.”

“Yah! What do you mean with have fun?”

He didn’t answer but you heard a giggle before he disappeared through the door.

Onew came fifteen minutes later as he said. He had a big smile in his face. You wondered what happened.

“I finished the lyrics for the song I was writing.”

“That’s amazing! But you came all the way here just to tell me that? Won’t you sing me a little at least? I want a teaser.”

He chuckled. “And guess what. The song it’s going to be used for the OST of a drama.”

“Are you kidding me? Wow, that’s amazing. But didn’t you write the lyrics according to what you saw around you? Don’t Korean dramas write their own lyrics for a specific feeling or situation between the main characters? They must have been so lucky to find the perfect song for the perfect relationship between the couple in the drama!”

He buried his finger in your forehead. “You watch too much dramas. I was writing that song for personal issues, I wasn’t interested in selling it but somehow it worked for a drama. They said it was perfect.”

“Ouch. Don’t do that! Are you going to sing it?”

He shook his head. “I write songs, I don’t sing.”

“Bah, such a waste.”

“You haven’t heard me sing yet.”

“That’s why. I wanted to hear your voice.”

“I told you, when the right moment comes I’ll sing a song for you.”

You sulked. “I bet you’re not good at singing. That’s why you don’t want to sing.”

“People say I have a good voice though but it’d be awkward if I praise myself. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I’ll let you hear the song on Friday.”

Uh, that was in two days. You wanted to hear it now.

“I feel ashamed I couldn’t help you in anything. I didn’t even give you one line.”

“You helped me a lot actually.”

“How?”

“You will figure it out on Friday.”