A date with Minho

Begin Again

It was Thursday and you could say that you got closer with Maia. She was like the female friend you never had. You had never had a friend as beautiful as Maia. You asked her if she was model of a magazine or something like that.

“You’re not interested?”

She shook her head. You knew her answer before hearing it.

“I’m low profile. I only like to get attention from few people, my lover if I had one; family and closest friends. Also, now I’m here for a mission.”

The mission. What kind of mission was that? The first time she told you about that mission were the first time she talked to you and you didn’t find it appropriate to ask her much about that since you didn’t know her well.

“Is that mission going well?”

She pursed her lips. “I haven’t started yet.”

“Oh. What kind of mission is it? Can I help you?”

“It’s a secret. But I guess it’s okay if I tell you.” She smiled mysteriously. “I’ve a friend in Seoul. He doesn’t know I’m here though. I want to help him to find a girlfriend.”

“Oh.” That wasn't an ordinary mission. 

“He has met a woman but I’m not sure if she is the right one. I want the best for him since he helped me a lot in the past. I’m kind of stalking her now. He wouldn't approve this but it's for his sake. Don’t you think I’m crazy?”

“I think you care for your friend. But aren’t you worried that your friend might miss you?”

“I’m sure he misses me now, but as I told you, it’s for his sake.” She didn’t say anything else.

“Hey, I want to eat Bingsu, do you want one?”

She shook her head. “No, thanks.”

You stood up and went to buy a cup of bingsu. Maia was so mysterious. She was right, she was low profile. It was a pity to waste such talent. She doesn’t talk much and never tell you when she’s coming to the café, you just find her there smiling as usual. You liked her though.

 

***

 

It was finally weekend and it has been six days without seeing Onew. Since when he became so important in your life? There was no single day you didn’t think about him. You’re falling for him, Jjong used to joke around. You knew he wasn’t joking though. But you knew your feelings well. You liked Onew, you liked him a lot but as a friend. To be honest –you were really ashamed of yourself to admit it– you still think in Minho. Onew hasn’t forgotten his first love, neither you.

Maybe you’ve been thinking too much about Minho that fate decided to bring him to you. On Saturdays, Thomas’s café always play live music, indie bands and sometimes buskers went to play for free. You have never had the opportunity to go. You’ve heard that the music and environment was incredible and you would like to go with Maia when you realized you didn’t have her phone number. You will ask her next time, maybe she’s already there, you thought.

You were walking to the café when you met Minho at the street. It was fall and you could feel the cold breeze. Minho was wearing the scarf you gave him on his last birthday. He really loved scarves and had a big collection. You wanted to contribute in his collection and gave him a large and comfy gray scarf. You were surprised to see him wearing that. You didn’t expect him to keep that scarf actually.

You weighed the idea of hiding behind that tree and avoid him. Too late, he already saw you.

“Hi, Sel!”

“Selene,” you mumbled. “Hi.”

“Maybe this is my lucky day.”

“What?”

“I won two tickets to the cinema. Actually I was going to watch this movie alone. Do you have plans?”

“Mmmh. I’m not sure…”

“Come on. We’re going just like friends. I told you, I’m going to start from the beginning. We are friends now.”

That sounded convincing and you liked the idea of being friend of him. It was easier for you to talk to him and being with him without worrying about what he did to you.

“Okay.”

“Cool.”

“What movie it is? The Book of Life, seriously?” You chuckled.

“We used to watch animated films together, don’t you remember?”

“Can you not mention about our past. You said you wanted to begin again so there’s no we used to or something like that.”

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled.

Why do I feel like a bad person like if I’m hurting his feelings? He also hurt mine. Then you thought.

“I love animated films.” You smiled.

“You’re not going to eat popcorn? You used to buy the biggest one.” You asked him when you saw him walking directly to the theater.

He arched an eyebrow. “What about not using the we used to?

Oops. He was right. It wasn’t easy to throw away three years of relationship.

“Are you sure you don’t want? I’m going to buy a small bucket then.”

“The biggest one is okay for us two.”

After buying the biggest bucket of popcorn you went inside the theater and sat on your respective seats. You went a little earlier; the synopsis before playing the movies hasn’t even started yet. You placed the bucket of popcorns on your lap and began eating them. You didn’t have anything interesting to talk to Minho. He neither seemed to have something to tell you. He just ate. He would grab a handful of popcorns and eat them one by one. At one moment your hands touched. Cliché, you thought. You didn’t give it too much importance but when you realized Minho stopped grabbing handful of popcorns, you turned around and looked at him. He was looking at you with an inscrutable look.

The screen lit up and illuminated the entire room, showing the synopsis of upcoming movies that you were not interested. Minho’s face was illuminated with different colors. He still was looking at you.

“What?”

“You seem colder with me. I’m really sorry for hurting you.”

You felt uncomfortable with his statement. It wasn’t the right moment to talk about the past. You threw him a popcorn to his face to lift up the mood.

“I look colder because it is cold.”

He laughed and took his jacket off. He gave it to you. “Wear it.”

You wore it without whining.

“Thanks for accepting it. Last time I gave you my jacket you whined.”

Of course you whined; it was the first time you met him since the tragedy and you were really hurt. But you were surprised that he could recall all these little details. He seemed more attentive than he was in the past.

He took a handful of popcorns and threw it to your face. “I just gave you a jacket because you said you were cold. Stop looking at me like if I were someone special for you.” He joked.

What? You blushed. You didn’t know you were looking at him in the first place.

“Shut up and don’t waste more popcorns.”

Minho didn't like the movie. It wasn't what he expected. He was sulking after the movie so he suggested to drink something. He asked you if you wanted to drink something before going home. There was a small but comfy café near the cinema. You agreed.

You got a text message.

 

What are you doing? I’m at Thomas’s café.

I finished the piano lessons before I expected.

 

I went to watch a movie with Minho.

 

I hope he’s not giving you a hard time.

 

He’s not… yet. So you’re free this weekend?

 

Yes ^^ See you on Monday.

 

See you on Monday… He’s free tomorrow but he said to meet on Monday. He didn’t seem to miss you or interested to see you. You didn’t know why it upset you so much. You wished you could be at Thomas’s café now.

“Who are you texting to that you’re ignoring me?” Minho’s voice brought you back to the reality.

“A friend. Oh, is that the café?”

“Yes! That’s it. There are some green smoothies that I love.”

“I forgot you are so healthy.” You giggled.

“I’ve resumed soccer training.”

“Really? That’s great!”

He nodded. “I’ve been focusing on important things like my studies, soccer and… you. There’s no time for anything else.”

You looked down at your green smoothie. It had a great greenish color although you weren’t sure if these kinds of drinks were okay to drink them at night.

“I’m asking this as a friend, not trying to recall our past. Have you watched more animated movies since… you know?”

“Not really.” You were glad he changed topic. “I’ve been busy with uni. I saw spirited away the other day with Jjong.”

“What? Again?”

You laughed. “I know, right? Jjong loves it.”

“How’s him?”

“He’s doing well, really well, to be honest. I rarely see him nowadays. He’s busy composing songs for artists.”

“That’s great! I guess he doesn’t want to know anything about me.”

“I guess so.”

Your eyes met Minho’s. He looked so regretful.

“Let me explain you again about what happened. Last time I couldn’t do it well, you were so angry at me.”

You shook your head. “Please, don’t.”

“We can’t begin again if our past stands before us.”

“I agreed to accompany you to the cinema as a friend. I don’t want to talk about our past. Not tonight. To be honest, I’m not sure if we can begin again, being your friend is already painful. It is okay to talk about random things just like now. Please don’t let things get complicated. I’m not ready yet to overcome what you did.”

“I’ll wait. I’ll be waiting the day you finally let me be part of your life again and trust me enough to hear all the s I’ve to tell you.”