Seoul friend

Begin Again

“Let me take you home,” Minho said.

“It’s not necessary. I can go by myself.”

“It’s late and you’re angry. It’s not safe for you to be alone.”

“I’m not… angry.” I’m hurt, you thought.

“You don’t get angry easily. That’s why you endured me all these years.”

“I’m really sorry,” he added.

He sounded sincere. Was he? He was a good actor though, wasn’t he? He was able to fool you for five months. Maybe he wasn’t a good actor; you were a stupid. That was the problem.

You sighed. “I live in the same place as always.”

“Good. I’ll get the car. Wear this jacket,” he said as he took his jacket off and put it over your shoulders. “It’s cold outside.”

“Don’t pretend to be a gentleman now.”

“I’m not pretending. I care.”

“I don’t –”

“Don’t be stubborn, Sel. You will get a cold.”

“No one calls me Sel anymore.”

He sighed. “Are you trying to make me hate you? Because that’s not working.”

“I’ll wear the jacket. Where’s your car?”

You followed behind him and waited outside the restaurant while he went to get the car. It was cold outside. You were glad you had Minho’s warm jacket that smelled so good. You put your hands inside the pockets of the jacket because it was really cold. You felt something inside the left pocket. It was a Polaroid picture taken one year ago. It was a selca of Minho and you smiling happily to the camera. You looked so happy and comfortable around him back then. You wondered why he had a picture of you in his jacket. He came back with his car minutes later.

“Sorry, you waited too long.”

“I didn’t.”

An awkward silence wrapped you and Minho like if the silence wanted to drag you towards him and make you feel more uncomfortable, to not mention you were already feeling uncomfortable in this small place with your ex boyfriend who cheated you with your best friend and had a picture of you in his jacket, and then before inside the restaurant he just had to said those right words that made your heart flutter… just a little bit.

“That was a short ride.”

“Mmmh. Thank for driving me home.”

“Hey, Sel.”

You turned around and looked at his face. You didn’t like to be called Sel. “What?”

“I couldn’t be a gentleman in the past. Let me be one this time.”

“What are –?”

He got out of the car and surrounded it with his tall and slender figure. He opened the door for you and held his hand for you. Of course you didn’t accept it and got off of the car with your own feet.

“I'll walk you to the door.”

You just ignored him and walked towards the apartment. It was really unnecessary all this show. It only made you feel more uncomfortable and confused. Right now, your feelings were a mess. Your fears became real. You didn’t want to meet Minho because you knew whether he says the right words or says nonsense you would feel butterflies inside your stomach.

You have no pride, Selene Bird. You thought. He hurt you and you still had feelings for him.

“Okay, Minho. I can go by myself now. Bye.”

“I hope to see you soon.”

Show your pride, Selene. You told yourself.

“No. We won’t see each other again. Today was your last chance to explain me everything. Now I kind of know what happened and that’s enough. I don’t want to see you again.”

You had no idea what happened to be honest. You still had no idea why he cheated on you and you still had so many unanswered questions but you were not in the mood to hear them.

“You have another man?”

“What? No! I broke up with you four months ago. My body still has bruises from the words you told me. You were clear that time. You told me I wasn’t enough for you and that I’m not worth it. Everything I did it wasn’t good or enough for you. Now, I’m living my life without you and I’m doing well.”

He grabbed your wrist. “Stop it, Selene. Please, stop. I said that because you left me without saying anything so I got drunk the next day and you had the bad luck to find me in that state. I also suffered.”

“Yeah, just my luck. You should get drunk every day so you could be more honest with me.”

He grabbed your face with both hands. He bent his head to yours and foreheads touching.

“Minho, please…”

“I see you’re still hurt and you haven’t forgiven me. I perfectly understand it. I hope you can forgive me. I hope time hurries up and brings you to me. I hope you will tell me things that for now are impossible for me to hear. I’ll be patient. I’ll demonstrate you that I have changed.”

“Please, don’t…”

“Good nights, Sel.” He kissed your forehead.

You were left alone all dumbfounded by Minho. The guard saw you and waved at you. You smiled or grimaced, you weren’t sure.

“Jjong?”

Mmmh?” he groaned through the phone.

“Are you sleeping?”

Uh.”

“I’m not feeling okay. I’m at the building now. I’m going to sleep in your apartment.”

Okay.

You sobbed and headed up to Jjong’s apartment. You had keys so you didn’t knock the door. Jonghyun was in his pajama waiting for you. He scratched his head when he saw you. He already knew what happened before asking you. You were sorry for bothering him but you had no one else.

“You have classes tomorrow, girl. Let’s sleep. Tomorrow we’ll talk.”

You nodded and followed him to his room. You tried hard not to cry but you couldn’t help the sobs.

“You are confused now, aren’t you? You regret going to that meeting or date or whatever you call it.”

You nodded. “He said he changed. What if he really did?”

“So what? He already hurt you. I already spent every night sharing my bed with you and comforting you.”

“I’m sorry for being a bother of friend.”

“You aren’t. You don’t bother me. It hurts me seeing you like this. But let’s not talk about this now. You can’t miss classes tomorrow.”

"Thanks, Jjong."

"I'll always be there for you, Selene."

"I have always been." You heard him sigh.

He approached you towards his body and hugged you tightly like he used to do every time you ran to him crying because of Minho. But this time it was different. At least that was you thought. You heard him sigh again. You wondered if this hasn’t mixed up his feelings. You always trusted him enough to sleep hugging each other on the same bed. It was normal of you. He was your friend, your best friend but that was all. It would be the worst if he also had feelings for you. You shook your head. That couldn’t happen. You will have to talk about this with him tomorrow.

 

***

 

Key sat next to you at international economy’s class and you didn’t bother to ask him to sit in another seat or to shut up. Last night you couldn’t fall asleep thinking about Minho and Jjong. You were nodding off and Key helped you to keep your eyes open. You even had lunch with him and Taemin. Your mind was in another place so you really didn’t pay attention at what they were saying.

“You’re being too cooperative today, Selene,” Key said.

“Huh?”

“That means I won?”

You looked at Taemin for an answer because you had no idea what Key was talking about.

“He thinks you fell for him.”

“What? I accepted to have lunch with you because I’m nice.”

“I wanted to make you laugh. You would usually hit or shout at me for saying things like that. Are you okay, Selene?” he asked.

“Uh? Oh, I’m okay. I couldn’t sleep last night so I’m tired.”

“I see. Well, you’re still my challenge, Bird.”

“Whatever,” you mumbled.

After classes you went to a café to buy some sweets and your favorite coffee grounds. You wanted to talk to Jjong about the issue that kept your mind busy last night and the reason you couldn’t sleep. He probably was at the studio recording working for his new self composed song.

“Selene?”

You turned around and saw Onew sitting alone in a table at the coffee shop. Today he was also wearing a dress shirt and dark pants. It was incredible how different outfits could make you a different person. Should you wear nicer clothes too?

“Hi, Onew!”

“Are you busy? I own you a cup of tea.”

You smiled. “I just came from university. I can’t study anymore so a tea is perfect.”

“Perfect.” He smiled.

Did you mention before that his smile was so beautiful? (Probably you did)

“Were you working?”

“I'm composing a song. I like to work at coffee shops.”

“Why coffee shops? What make them so special?”

“I get inspiration from watching people. I also get to hear good stories from them.”

“You’re kind of a stalker.”

He laughed. “Are you always like this, so genuine? The way you said it like if you really think I am a stalker.”

“Oh, no. I didn’t mean that.” You blushed.

He smiled.

“My best friend is also composing a song.”

“Really? I’d like to hear her finished song.”

“Her?” You chuckled. “My best friend is male. His name is Jjong.”

“Oh, I see. Is he your bestie?”

“Yep. He hasn’t betrayed me yet.” Oops, you didn’t mean to say that.

“Not everyone will do that. In this world there are still reliable people.”

“You think so?”

“Of course. Not many, but there are.”

“Can I say something crazy?”

He nodded.

“I think you’re reliable. I feel like we have known for years and somehow I feel comfortable around you. Isn’t that crazy?”

“I feel like we have already had this conversation.” He smiled.

Did you? Oh, you did. He said he wasn’t a nice guy and it was okay to not trust him. You still wondered what he really meant.

“I think you should give me an answer. You’re so bad mannered.” You joked.

“Can I say something even crazier? I also think you’re a reliable person, Selene.”

You smiled and he returned the smile. I think I have found a new friend in Seoul. You thought. Maldives friend was now Seoul friend.