Bad jokes, good laughs

Begin Again

“Stop making those faces, Onew! People are watching us.”

Onew was making weird faces at the camera of his phone. You were in Thomas’s café as usual after classes. He was taking funny selcas for his mother that he missed so much. But people was looking at him like what the heck are you doing? What's wrong with you?

“Let’s them watch then.”

“Why don’t send a pretty selca to your mom, uh?”

“Want to take one with me?”

“Oh, no, no. My face is not in a good condition today.”

“Come on, you look pretty.”

You blushed. You would always blush at his simple but sincere statements. Maybe because they were full of sincerity that it made you blush.

“You can also make funny faces like me.”

“Ah, I don’t want to. Just take a normal selca.” You whined.

“Oh, you accepted to take a selca with me.” He smiled.

He used the frontal camera to get a better angle of your faces. The picture came out well.

“Mom said you’re pretty.”

“Oh, thank you.”

“I think the same. I haven’t seen you smile for a while.”

“Really?”

“Are you sad because of Minho?” Onew asked.

You nodded. “We haven’t talked for a week.”

“Call him then.”

“I’m not brave enough. Also, I think I’ll only bother him.”

“You won’t know it if you don’t try.”

“You’re right. I guess I should call him, but not today.”

Onew kept fooling around and making lame jokes but still you laughed because you found it funny even though they were bad. Your sense of humor was similar to his. He even got to decorate the coffee he asked for, that was why he disappeared for a long time. He wrote fighting and added a smiling face ^^ on the white cream. You thought the smiling face resembled his.

He was in a good mood. But you couldn’t say the same thing about you. Since you met with Minho and he confessed to you (it wasn’t really a confession since you already knew his feelings), you haven’t talked to him. You broke his heart this time, and you felt terrible. He hasn’t called you but that didn’t mean he didn’t want to talk to you. However, there still must be a reason he hasn't. You weren’t brave enough to take the first step. Onew encouraged you to call him though. You decided to call him tomorrow.

You smiled. “Fighing! Fighting on making better jokes!” You joked.

He laughed. “Hey, but I got to make you smile with my lame jokes.”

“You caught me.”

“Smile like this every day, Selene.”

“Uh?”

“I like when you smile.”

“That’s why you told me so many jokes and kept teasing me?”

“I like you the best when you smile. If I have to learn new jokes, I would do it only to see that smile every day.”

“Are you being cheesy right now?”

"I'm being honest."

Wow. That was the most touching thing that a man has told you ever. He liked your smile, he wanted to see you smile every day and he would even try to learn better jokes just to see you smile.

“I want to invite you and Jjong to my house this weekend. I’ll cook for you.”

“Why so sudden?”

“Food, friend and best friend. Aren’t those the things that make you happy? I told you, I want to make you happy and smile as much as possible.”

“Best friends, you mean.”

He smiled. “Best friends.”

“How about Sunday? I’ve things to do on Saturday.”

“Sunday is okay.”

“Cool. Oh, didn’t you have classes now?”

“Geez. I’m late.”

You giggled. “You have to run.”

Five minutes later after he left, you sent him a text message.

 

Thanks for making me smile

 

Always ^^

 

You wanted to prepare a surprise event for Onew as a way to thanks and congratulate him for the song he wrote and composed. You realized you haven’t thanked him properly. That night he personally sang the song for you, and you rudely said you couldn’t accept it. Although you ended up accepting the song (how could you reject it?) you still felt like you hurt his feelings.

You asked for an iced tea and made you comfortable to do a brainstorm of ideas for the surprise event, but nothing came to your mind. You drank a sip of your iced tea –frustrated– like if the iced tea would help you. That was when Maia appeared. She was wearing a beautiful white dress. She looked like an angel, an angel that came to save you. She saw you and waved happily.

“Onew left minutes ago. What a pity! I wanted to introduce you to him.”

She giggled. “I’ve heard a lot about him that I feel like I already know him.”

“Oh, really?”

“What are you doing?”

“Onew wrote me a song. Can you believe it?”

“He wrote you a song?”

You nodded. “I want to do a surprise event to thank him. But I don’t what to do.”

“You’re so lucky to receive such a beautiful and meaningful gift.”

“I know, right? Have you ever received a meaningful gift?”

She looked at her hands. “My boyfriend, I mean, my ex-boyfriend, also wrote me a song.”

“Wow! Really? What happened to him?”

“I made a mistake. He now thinks I hate him.”

“Why?”

“Didn’t you say you always come to this café with Onew?”

She changed topic. You nodded.

“Why don’t you make a surprise party here? I’m sure Thomas will agree.”

“That’s… an awesome idea, Maia! I’m sorry for asking you such personal questions.”

She smiled. “I’m sure Onew will be touched. Don’t worry. I just don’t want to recall my past. It hurts.”

“Will you come to the surprise event? It’s this Saturday.”

“Oh, I’ve to travel on Friday. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. Thanks for the great idea.”

“You’re welcome.” She smiled. “Can I ask you something? What is Onew for you?”

“He’s a good friend, a friend that I love.”

“I don’t know him, but I think he could make a good boyfriend for you. Or you could be a good girlfriend for him.”

You blushed. “I… I don’t know.” You didn’t know what to say. It wasn't the first time you heard that.

“Sorry. I talked too much.”

You just smiled and tried to change the topic.

“How is the mission going?”

“What mission?”

“Weren’t you trying to find a good girlfriend for your best friend?”

“Oh, that’s true. I think she’s the right girl.”

“So the mission is coming to a successful end?”

“Who knows, future is unpredictable. Maybe tomorrow she decides to leave or something happens to her.”

“Let’s not think that. Your friend will find a good girl for sure.”

She smiled. “You’re right. All I want is to see him happy.”

You thought she was a good friend.

“Ah, that’s true. There’s something I’ve to tell you. I met Jjong few times.”

“You met Jjong? You mean my Jjong?”

She nodded. “I like him. We have a lot in common but we can’t be together. I’m afraid he will fall for me.”

“Why? He’s a good person.”

“I know. But I won’t stay here for too long.”

“What do you mean?”

“I told you I came here to help my friend. After my mission is cleared, I’ll go back to my hometown. It was already decided. Even though I want to stay in Seoul, I can’t.”

“Oh.”

“I haven’t told Jjong yet.”

“You want me to tell him? I can talk to him if you want.”

“No, no. I want to be the one who tell him. I just wanted you to know. I don’t want you to get a bad impression about me. But sometimes I hurt people without my knowing.”

“I’m sure Jjong will understand it.”

That kid, he didn’t tell me anything about Maia! You thought.