Tug of war

Begin Again

Everything seemed okay and perfect. Onew’s arms around your waist, your arms around his neck and nose buried in his neck while he was humming the song (his voice was awesome by the way). Everything seemed okay. But it wasn’t. It wasn’t okay that you felt so comfortable around him and safe in his arms or that you wanted to stay like this with him the whole night. But you were lying to yourself. All this time you imagined that those arms that were firmly holding you were Minho’s. That was so, so wrong, using someone else to feel and imagine that he was Minho. You stepped back, ashamed of yourself.

“It’s so hot. I need a drink.”

“Yeah, I also seed one.”

You went to the bar counter an asked the bartender for a drink, something strong.

“Are you okay?” Onew put a hand on your shoulder and you shrunk.

You nodded.

“Hey, that’s too strong. Tomorrow you will wake up at 10 pm and miss all the meals.” He pretended to scold you.

“I need it.”

“Why? What do you want to forget that you drink so much? It’s not healthy to drink like the way you do. It’s healthier to talk about your problems with someone than drinking to forget. I know it by experience.”

You didn’t answer and drank your whiskey that tasted like garbage. Ugh, who the hell like to drink this? You thought. You always saw in movies that when a man is sad or angry he would go to the nearest bar and ask for a whiskey. But they didn’t whine saying that it tasted like garbage and it burnt your throat and tongue. You didn’t want to think in Minho while sleeping so you drank another sip of it. Onew waited for your answer. You didn’t want to answer but he was right. It wasn’t good to keep your problems to yourself.

“He broke my heart.”

“Who?”

“My boyfriend. I mean my ex-boyfriend.”

He frowned but you ignored it.

“What did he do?”

“He cheated on me.”

He snorted. “That’s so typical…”

“He cheated me with my best friend. They were dating without my knowing for five months. I’m such a fool.” You laughed. It was a cold laugh though.

“That’s not cool,” he mumbled.

You drank another sip of your drink. It was hard to swallow it.

“Stop the drink.” He took apart your glass.

“Give it back to me! I told you to give it to me! I came here to Maldives to forget him. I don’t want to think about him anymore. I want to take him out of my life, I’m sick of crying every night. But I can’t if you don’t let me drink.”

He didn’t give it back to you.

“You wanted to know what I did last night? Well, I couldn’t sleep because I was thinking in him. I cried all night and slept after I got tired of crying. Are you happy now? Now, give me back my ing drink.”

He rose up the glass at the height of his eyes. “This won’t help you to forget him.” He drank the left whiskey in the glass in one shot. “And a woman cursing is not attractive. That’s not the way, Selene. You need to meet people, spend time with friends and hang out and time will heal your broken heart, but drinking until you get intoxicated will only kill you. Your friends wouldn't want that.”

You sulked and then didn’t know what happened to you later. You only remembered that you managed to get another drink when Onew went to pay the bill, and the next thing you were on your bed and everything went color black.

 

***


You groaned. You groaned again. The sounds coming from your throat was like a poor animal dying. The sunlight hit straight to your eyes so you covered your face with the sheets and tried to ignore the horrible headache you had. When you were completely awake and all your senses were perfectly working (which took you around eight minutes) you realized the sheets had a different scent from yours. It reminded you of someone actually. Oh, god.

You slowly came out of the sheets and looked the ceiling. It was the same ceiling as your cottage. You checked the walls. Those also looked exactly like your walls. You saw many tees hanging in the closet. You didn’t have those in your dorm. Where I am? You thought scared. You were alone on the bed though and you couldn't hear anyone taking a shower or using the bathroom. There was no one in the room.

You threw a cushion to the floor. You didn't like to sleep with cushions and pillows around you, it bothered you. Someone groaned when the cushion hit the floor. Or maybe it didn't hit the floor...

You grabbed the sheets and covered your body, scared. You realized you still were wearing the dress from last night. Well, that didn't matter since you realized there actually was a person in this room.

That person didn't wake up but you heard a rhythmic breathing. You grabbed the pillow and slowly approached the edge of the bed. Your heart was racing but it raced faster when you realize it was Onew sleeping on the floor. That didn’t help you to calm down your racing heart. He improved a bed with sheets, a blank and pillows. He was deeply asleep. He looked so young and peaceful on his sleep. You felt like you could watch him all day or maybe take a picture with your phone. But you discarded those thoughts. What were you doing in Onew's cottage? What happened last night? You remembered you had few drinks with Onew and danced with him. You could almost smell the scent of his neck and the warmth of his arms when you were dancing together. What surprised you is that you didn't think about it as Minho's arms or scent. You thought in Onew. That wasn't okay, was it?

You wanted an explanation and you wanted it now. You threw the cushion that you threw minutes ago to Onew's face. He groaned but didn't wake up. You shook his body.

“Wake up, Onew!”

“What do you want?”

“Wake up. We need to talk.”

“Later.”

“No, we've to talk now.”

With sleepy eyes, he woke up and sat on his . He stretched his arms and neck. You ignored how his biceps tensed when he stretched his arms. You looked away. Those arms were holding you tightly last night.

He sat on the floor and looked at you with sleepy and small eyes. Wow, he looked really bad like if he didn't sleep well and his hair was a disaster, it looked like a bird’s nest. He stretched a hand to your head and your hair.

“Did you sleep well?”

“Don't touch me! Why I am here? Did you bring me to your room because I was drunk?”

“Hey.”

“I trusted you. I thought you were a nice guy but the moment I got wasted you take advantage of me and take me to your bed. You are disgusting! All men are the same! ert!”

He stood up and went to the bathroom –ignoring you.

“Yah! I'm talking to you.” You threw again the cushion towards him and hit his back. Yes!

You wanted to knock the door and scream him to come out but you decided you weren’t a violent person so you stayed still and sat on the bed instead. You took a few deep breaths and patiently waited for him. He didn't take a shower because you didn't hear the water running. Maybe he was pooping? You couldn't help a giggle. You wouldn't leave this place until Onew gave you an explanation. He came out ten minutes later.

“You're still here,” he mumbled.

“You still own me an explanation.”

He stayed still and looked at you with fierce eyes. He didn’t look mad but disappointed... and tired.

“It's true we don't know each other and I understand if you don't trust me but these days we have spent together I thought it would give you an idea about what kind of person I am. I would never, never hurt you or take advantage of you or any woman, especially when you're drunk. I'm sorry you had that idea about me.”

»Last night you told me awful things about your ex, the way he treated and cheated you. You also told me about your ex best friend Alexis. You drank so much. I thought you would get intoxicated but you kept crying over this bastard that hurt you and broke your heart. It took me like forever to make you fall asleep.

»You were right saying I'm not a nice guy, I'm not, but I couldn't let you alone in your room. If you didn't die because of the alcohol in your body, you would have drowned with your own tears. I’m not that disgusting to let a pretty girl die with her owns tears.

You felt like someone hit you with the pillow. No, not with a pillow, it was something harder like a hard-cover book, and you deserved it.

“Thanks,” you mumbled. “And sorry. I was wrong. I didn't think my words; I just spit everything out like an idiot,” you said looking at the floor. You were too ashamed to look at his eyes.

“I don't think you are an idiot. You’re hurt. But you have to overcome it. Can I ask you when you broke up with him?”

“Three months ago. I haven't seen him since then.”

“Three months isn't too much time, is understandable you're still hurt.”

“I try to stay strong. I swear I don’t cry over him every night. Last night you had the bad luck to spend one of those days with me. I’m sorry.”

“I wouldn’t call it bad luck.”

The same way you spit out all those words without thinking the consequences, you approached him and embraced him. You surrounded his waist with your arms and hid your face in his chest.

“Thanks for making me feel better and taking care of me last night. And I’m sorry for making you feel awful. You’re a nice guy, Onew. I don’t think you’re disgusting.”

He let out a sigh and embraced you tightly.