The woman

Begin Again

“Selene? That’s why I didn’t want to tell you. You will feel pity for me and we will feel awkward to each other.”

You shook your head. “Sorry, I admit it was shocking to hear that. But bah, we don’t have to feel awkward. I already went through an awkward moment with Jjong the other day. I am one who believes that talking solves everything.”

“What happened with Jjong?” he asked curious.

“You know what? I think I should introduce you to him. The other day we had an uncomfortable conversation. Well, uncomfortable for me.”

“What happened?”

“I thought he had feelings for me. You know, we have known since we’re kids. He really hasn’t grown any feelings for me? I wondered. Of course he didn’t. He sees me like a little sister.”

“What about you?”

“I also see him as a brother.”

“What made you think he could have feelings for you then?”

You shrugged. “I just had the feeling. I always go to him and cry on his arms when I’m having a hard moment. The other day I was really comfortable sleeping between his arms and it felt strange. I thought it was weird. The thing is I never feel awkward in his arms but that night I did.”

“You still cry for Minho?”

You got pale. That was all he could retain from all you said? That wasn’t something he should have heard from you.

“I’m doing my best to forget him.”

“Next time, when you’re feeling sad you can call me.”

“Thanks,” you said shyly. “If you want to talk about Soojung, you know, I’ll hear you.”

“Thank you, Sel.”

You opened your eyes wide at that name.

“I don’t like to be called Sel.”

“Why? I think is cute. It has something to do with Minho?”

You nodded.

“Do you realize how much control of your life he has?”

“He doesn’t. I’m in the middle of a healing process.”

He sighed. “If you want to talk about it, I’ll be here to hear you. I’m sorry for bringing that topic and ruining the mood.”

You hit his shoulder with your hand. It was a bad habit you had. Jjong always said you were not feminine at all. “You didn’t ruin the mood. We are friends and I trust you. That’s why we talk about these s. By the way, we are here to work, aren’t we?”

“Let’s eat first.”

“Oh, right. Food.” Your stomach whined and growled.

You laughed shyly.

“These kimpab taste amazing! Did you also make the tteokbokki? It's delicious.”

Half an hour later you laid on the blanket and patted your full stomach. You could barely move your body since you ate too much.

“I feel I’m in the paradise. This park is so beautiful and the food was delicious. But hey, you told me you use to come alone. That’s so sad. Or did you use to come here with…? Sorry.”

“I like to be alone. I don’t like to get distracted when I’m writing songs. No, I don’t go to places that we used to go together.”

“So why you invited me?”

“It’s different when I’m with you.”

“Oh.”

You looked up at his face. You couldn’t see his face because he was against the sun and the shadows covered his face. But you saw how the wind ruffled his dark brown hair. He looked down at you and fixed your hair that also was ruffled by the wind. That simple but gentle gesture made your heart race.

“You blushed, Selene?”

“No, I didn’t.”

“Yes, you did.” He laughed.

You sulked and turned around so your back was facing him. You heard him laugh again but something else distracted you. You saw a girl sitting on the nearest bench. But she wasn’t an ordinary girl. She was so beautiful. She wasn’t like a super model, no, you weren’t talking about that kind of beauty. Her beauty was unique. You got dazzled at his beautiful and long black hair with soft curls, milky skin, her cheeks was slightly blushed. You also noticed she had pretty hands. She was around twenty three years maybe? You were jealous at her. How could someone own that amount of beauty? Life is not fair, you thought. You were lost in your thoughts you didn’t notice she was looking at you. When she saw you looking at her, she smiled. Her smile was also pretty. Oh, she probably thought you and Onew were a couple having a picnic in this beautiful day.

You turned around towards Onew. He was packing the empty food boxes into his bag.

“It may sound awkward but I just saw a beautiful woman. Maybe it could give you some inspiration?”

Onew raised an eyebrow. “Where’s that woman?”

“There. She’s sitting on the be–. She’s left! I should have taken her a picture.”

“I don’t need to see beautiful girls to get inspiration. In that case I can search on internet actresses like Lee Min Jung or Clara Lee. Also, there’s one in front of me.”

“Oh, shut up. Hey, look at that elder couple. We can analyze them. Aren't they cute?”

“Cute? They are not even holding hands. Are you sure they are couple?”

“They don't need to hold hands to prove they are a couple. Look at them talking to each other. Can't you see the look on her eyes?” You stood up and sat on the blanket. “Oh, maybe is unrequited love. That's so sad.”

Onew hit your shoulder just like you did before but he did it slightly. “Why are jumping to such conclusions? Look, now they are holding hands. You were right, they are a couple.”

“I told you. Merong.”

You lay down on your stomach and Onew did the same. He lay down next to you and both enjoyed the view of the park. There were surprisingly many couples walking or having picnic at the park. They looked horribly adorable. Yep, horribly adorable.

“Aren’t you jealous at those couples?”

“Are you?”

“No, I’m not. Relationships need dedication and time. I don’t have both. I’m focused on my classes and eating good food.”

“Eating good food sounds good.”

“Isn’t it? I’d like to eat that kimbap you made again.”

“Anytime you want.”

“I still don’t quite understand why you’re so good to me.”

He frowned. “Do I need to have a reason? I just like you. I think you’re nice. That’s the reason there are nice people in the world. You’re also nice to me.”

“Yeah, because you’re nice to me.”

He raised an eyebrow. “If I weren’t nice you wouldn’t have talked to me.”

“Why would I? I don’t need more s in my life. I wasn't really insterested in talking to you the first time we met to be honest. You were so rude and annoying.”

He laughed at your sincerity. “You wouldn’t have talked to me because I’m good looking?”

“You’re kidding me, aren’t you?”

“Yeah.” He laughed.

And you laughed with him.

You spent the afternoon lying on the blanket watching around the park. You both were too lazy to get up. When the sky began to get dark, Onew announced it was time to leave. You didn’t want to though.

“Tomorrow I won’t go to the café. I won’t be able to go the whole week actually.”

“Why?” You tried to hide the disappointment on your voice.

“One of my students resumed his piano lessons. I’ll be teaching him this week.”

“Oh, what’s his name?”

“It's Minho. I already talked you about him.”

You grimaced. “Is he good at least?”

“Really good. He has nothing to do with the other Minho. Also, he is really good looking. Maybe you want me to introduce you to him.”

“I’d love it!”

“What’s up with that reaction? Are you that excited to meet one of my students?” He joked.

You ignored his comment. He picked up the blanket, shook it to remove the leaves and petals that fell on it, folded it and put it inside his bag.

He ruffled your hair. “Let’s go.”

“Hey, don’t do that.”

“Your hair is already a mess.”

“Look at your own first. It’s totally a mess.”

You reached out your right hand to fix the strands of hair that was messed up with the wind. You had always wanted to touch his hair. It was as soft as you imagined it would be. He stayed still, looking down at you. When your eyes met his, your hand froze and stayed still on the air. Your breath accelerated as well as your heartbeats. Suddenly you stopped hearing the sounds of the nature and people’s voice. You could only hear your fast breathing and his rhythmic breathing.

You looked down the dark grass. “Your hair is okay now.”

You linked arm with his and walked towards the line station, just like two good friends and ignored those seconds of awkwardness.

“Let’s go!”