Friends

Begin Again

After seeing Onew at the café, you suddenly forgot about his cold and uninterested reply from Saturday. He looked so happy to see you. You gave him a gently and friendly hit on his shoulder with your hand.

“Hi.”

“Hi. You're so cold. We haven't seen for a week and you just hit me?”

“You know it's a friendly hit! And it's not like we haven't seen for a year. It was only a week.” You pretended to sound uninterested.

“I repeat; you are so cold.”

“I'm not –”

He surrounded your body with both arms and approached it towards him.

“Just give me a hug. I missed you, girl.”

You closed the eyes and rested your head on his chest. It felt so good and warm. I missed you too, you wanted to say.

“How was your week?”

“Interesting. I met someone.”

He arched an eyebrow.

“Oh, no, is not what you're imagining. She's a friend I met here at the café. She's from Canada and came here to live f.”

You wanted to say you would like to introduce her to him but you regretted it. She was so pretty that Onew would fall for her immediately. So what? It's not like you would get jealous.

“How about your weekend?”

“Busy but I'm happy. Minho is progressing well on his piano skills. Now he's into singing. I'm giving him vocal training.”

“Uh. I haven't heard you sing yet. When are you going to sing me a song?” You pouted.

“When the right time comes.”

“What that does mean?”

“Maybe you should also take vocal lessons.”

“No, thanks. I'm fine with my current skills. Singing is not my thing. I'd like to meet Minho. You talk a lot about him. Is he your best student?”

“He's a good student, but he’s still a beginner. I wouldn’t say he is the best yet. I think Irene is the best. And Minho already has a lover.”

“Yah, I want to meet him but that doesn't mean I want to date him.”

He laughed. “So what are your skills?”

You blushed. You didn't have any, you were just bragging about it.

“I enjoy cooking. I'm not the best but I do it for fun.”

“People do its best when they enjoy what they are doing. Music is my passion since I'm a kid and now I'm having fun every day.”

“That sounds great. I'd love to say the same thing after I graduate from uni and work in my dream job.”

“I'm sure you will.”

“You think so? I haven’t figured out what I want to do in the future though. By the way, are you busy this Friday night?”

“Ummmh, no.”

“I'm having a movie party with Jjong. Want to join us? He wants to meet you.” And he talks about you every time he has the chance to, you thought.

“That sounds great.”

“Cool. You like horror films?”

He nodded enthusiastically. “I love them.”

You sulked. “Damn.”

“Why?”

“Jjong always watch animated films, I think we have watched them all. The other day I was complaining because we always watch the same movie over and over again so he suggestedto watch horror films. I can’t watch them. But I guess it will be fine if you two are there with me.”

“It will be fun. Horror films are good.”

That's what you think, you thought. You were already trembling thinking about what kind of horror films Jjong will choose. But you were excited that Jjong and Onew will finally meet.

“You met Minho on Saturday?” He suddenly asked.

You nodded. “I met him on the street. I was going to the café to see the live band when I saw him. He asked me to go the cinema. I couldn't say no.” You felt like explaining everything to him.

“I see.”

“You were at the café that day? Why didn't you tell me?”

“I wanted to surprise you.”

Oh.

“We could have met on Sunday if you wanted,” you mumbled.

“Sundays are... impossible to meet.”

“Why?”

You saw him struggling whether to tell you or not what he wanted to say. Maybe he didn't trust you enough to tell you.

“Every Sunday I go the cemetery to give flowers to Soojung.”

“I see. That's so considerate and caring of you.”

“She was like a flower to me, a beautiful one. She also liked flowers. Her favorite were pale pink roses, so every Sunday I make sure she has the most beautiful and fresh roses.”

“Thanks for telling me that. I see you don't talk much about your past and feelings, especially about Soojung.”

“You're the first person I have ever talked about Soojung,” he stated.

You hoped he could trust you about anything. You wanted to be a good friend to him and someone he could trust.

“So you missed me on Sunday, uh?”

“What? Hey, I want ice cream. Want one?”

He shook his head and laughed. You stood up and went to buy an ice cream. You just blushed in front of him which made you blush even more.

 

***

 

“Hey, Taemin. What happened to Key? He didn’t say a thing to me in classes. Is he mad?”

Taemin grinned and shook his head. “He’s in love.”

“What? You mean he loves all the women in the world?”

He shrugged. “It seems he finally found the right girl and he’s not a playboy anymore.”

“I can’t believe it.”

“He called me on weekend. He sounded so nervous. I was dying of laughter when he told me about how his heart was fluttering and things like that.”

You chuckled. “I’m glad for him. I hope the girl doesn’t suffer because of him though.”

“She won’t. I’m sure Key will play a good boyfriend.”

“How about you, Taemin?”

He always seemed so lonely. His only relationship was his books.

“I’m not interested in women.”

“Oh. You mean… you are interested in boys?”

“Don’t be stupid, Selene. I mean I don’t have time to be in love and such. Just look at you. You spend too much time thinking about Minho and now Onew. I want to be a writer and I use my time wisely.”

You sulked. “I can do both things. I can think about Onew and study and keep doing what I always do at the same time.”

“So you always think about Onew?”

You blushed. “No, I didn’t mean that. Don’t you think falling in love will help you writing? Where do you get inspiration from?”

“I don’t need to be in love to write. I like to watch couples or hear stories of others. Actually you have helped me on writing.”

“I? Really? Wow, I didn’t expect to hear that.”

“Is everything okay with Minho?”

You nodded. “We’re friends now.”

“You forgave him?”

“No way. I’m kind of trying to overcome the past.”

“And how about Onew? Who exactly is him?”

“A friend.”

“Just a friend? Or a friend you think about every day?”

“He’s just a friend.”