Little words

Begin Again

It was incredible how a word could change everything. You called Onew a ert and disgusting. You just said it; you didn’t really mean all those awful things you said. Those were some of the things you called Minho when you discovered he was cheating you with Alexis, when you discovered you were fooled for six months. Onew didn’t deserve those words that Minho did deserve. Then you apologized saying I’m sorry, and for your surprise, he forgave you, but you weren’t sure if you deserved to be forgiven. You were cruel and said those words without asking him first what happened, you just got hasty conclusions. But he said he wasn’t a nice guy. What did he mean by saying that?

The next days you spent almost every day with Onew. You had breakfast, lunch and dinner together. You went to the beach, had drinks, you even asked him to sing a song but he refused doing it, and he talked you about his students that he really cared about and his work as a music teacher. Unfortunately, he had a student called Minho.

The last day, you two agreed to have a dinner together. You just discovered that you could arrange a private dinner at the beach but it was too intimate and romantic for a dinner for two friends that met few days ago. Mmmh, yeah, it would be too much, maybe Onew would get scared and may misunderstand your intentions so you booked a table at Cayenne Restaurant. You could have dinner next to the lagoon; this is to say, having dinner with an amazing view. You invited him not because you felt sorry about the Minho-alcohol incident (you were sorry though but that wasn’t the point of the invitation), but because you wanted to spend time with him. He was your friend. And tonight was your last day in Maldives, your last day with Onew. Tomorrow, he will be just be a stranger. To be honest, you didn’t want to leave but you already bought the plane tickets.

 

***

 

Onew helped you to take seat on the beautifully arranged table. His hand accidentally touched your bare shoulders. You thought he would withdraw it immediately but kept it there.

“You look beautiful, Selene.”

You played with a fork. His compliment made you blush. Although the light was dim, you were sure he could see your blushed cheeks. You shouldn’t have made your hair into a bun. You couldn’t hide your cheeks with your hair like you usually do when you are feeling shy.

“I’m not used to be invited to have dinner by a girl, is usually the man who invites the girl,” he said as he surrounded the table to take seat on his chair.

He says it like if he has invited many women before, you thought.

“I’m sorry if I hurt your pride,” you chuckled.

“Thanks for inviting me. As expected, I wouldn’t have come to this place alone.”

“As expected, me neither.”

“Did you invite me because…?”

“No, I didn’t invite you to apologize about that night if you’re thinking that. I already apologized. It’s my last day in Maldives and I wanted to spend a pleasant evening with a friend.”

“Friend,” he mumbled.

“Yes, you’re my friend,” you mumbled.

“So you’re leaving tomorrow.”

You nodded. “I love to travel, but when I do it I usually go away four or five days. I can’t stay away from home for too long. I get homesick. When are you leaving?”

“I’ll stay two more days. But let’s not talk about farewells now. We will have time tomorrow for the farewells and such.”

“You’re right. You look handsome tonight.”

He smirked. “I can be handsome sometimes.”

Sometimes? You’re always looking handsome! You thought.

“What are you thinking about?” He cocked his head to one side.

“Did your student recovered from the flu?”

He frowned. “No. I haven’t been able to find someone to replace her. Do you sing, Selene?”

You shook your head and hands in front of your face. “No, no, I can’t sing. I’ve only sung in the shower.”

“Lucky shower.”

You blushed. Did he…?

“Do you sing, professor? The other day you refused to sing a song.”

He smiled. “I’m not a professor yet. But, yes, I do sing.”

“I’m sure you’ll be a professor soon. Can you sing to me?”

“Sorry, I’m shy.”

You laughed. He was… cute. You realized you will miss him when you leave.

“You eat like a man,” he noted.

“Excuse me?”

“You have a good appetite. That's good.”

“You didn't say that before,” you mumbled and sulked.

He smirked.

It was a perfect night with the perfect guy. But as every story has an ending, yours also went to an end. It was a happy ending though. Well, except the fact you won’t see him anymore.

“I have not packed yet.”

“It’s late, why don’t you do it tomorrow?”

“I can’t. My flight is in the morning.”

“I’ll help you,” he said as you two walked towards your cottage after an fantastic dinner.

You wanted to whine but agreed and accepted his help. It was windy and a little cold but not enough to make you freeze. Onew noticed your trembling shoulders and offered his jacket.

“Thank you,” you murmured.

It was warm and smelled good, the same scent of the sheets and his neck. Ummmh, what perfume he uses? You wondered.

“Are you sure you don’t want to pack tomorrow? You look tired. I can help you tomorrow if you want,” he asked once you arrived at your cottage.

“No, it’s okay. I can’t sleep at night that’s why I didn’t pack my stuff earlier. Are you sure you want to help? It’s late, you said it.”

“I already offered my help. Can we come in or not?”

“Whatever,” you mumbled and opened the door.

“Wow, it’s a little… untidy.”

“It’ll give me more work to do.”

He frowned. He looked angry.

“What?”

“It hurts me to hear you saying that. You left your room untidy on purpose?”

You shrugged. “I told you, I can’t sleep at night. I’ve nightmares. I like to keep myself busy until I get too tired to think in anything else.”

He looked at you with worry eyes.

“Hey, don’t feel pity for me. I’m okay. I mean I know this is not the right thing to do but that’s my way to overcome my breakup. I hate when people feel pity for me.”

“Then don't be such a pitiful person. It’s sad to see you like this. I guess you won’t need my help.”

Onew was opening the door to leave when a stupid idea came to your mind and you spoke before thinking in the consequences.

“Can you stay?” You voice sounded higher than you expected.

“What?”

“Nothing,” you said shyly.

“You want me to stay? Why?”

“I hate to sleep alone. Jjong usually keeps me company.”

He smiled but you could see he still was worried.

“Who’s Jjong? Your puppy?”

You ignored his comment. You didn’t want to explain him that Jjong was your best friend and that he used to make you company at nights you couldn’t sleep but you didn’t have feelings for each other. That was the reason you trusted him and that he wouldn’t do anything to make you feel uncomfortable.

“I know we barely know each other and it’s inappropriate to ask you this.”

“Can you stop the we don’t know each other? Didn’t we agree we are friends?”

You smiled. “So, can you stay tonight?”

He closed the door and took off his shoes. You saw a smile on his face and you couldn’t help to smile too.