Night night!

Begin Again

“Can I give you a hand? I feel like it’ll take you an eternity to pack everything.”

Onew was sitting on the bed looking at you walking from here and there; busy carefully folding your clothes and putting things inside little bags.

“I told you I can’t sleep…”

“Yeah, and that’s why you asked me to stay; I’ll help you to sleep. But I also want to sleep. I won’t spend my night watching you packing your stuff.”

You can leave if you want, you wanted to say.

“Okay, can you hand me that suitcase next to the bed? Thanks. I’ve to fold these clothes but I’m not sure if you can do it,” you said unsure.

He snorted. “I live alone. I can do everything by myself. I cook, clean, fold my clothes and much more than you think.”

Why did he make it sound like he was talking about something else? You shook your head and focused on folding your clothes.

“Do I also fold these?” He was pointing your cute and childish .

Oh… my… goodness. In a blink of an eye you grabbed them all and threw them inside the suitcase.

“I can do it.” You laughed nervously.

“They’re cute.”

“Shut up.”

He kept quiet and dutifully put the rest of your clothes inside the suitcase. You were sure he was holding the laughter but he didn’t mention your cute again. After half an hour you finished packing. Even though you didn’t pack a lot of things since it was a short trip, this morning you scheduled to end the dinner with Onew around 11 pm and then spend at least one hour packing. That way you would keep your mind busy. But now that you finished earlier you felt relieved and thankful to Onew for helping you.

“I need to go to my room to change my clothes and such. I’ll back in an hour,” he said.

“You don’t have to sleep here if you don’t want to.”

“I already made you finish packing early. What are you going to do when you can´t sleep? I’ll be here in one hour.”

“Thanks,” you said relieved. You thought he could change his mind when you offered him the possibility to leave.

He left and suddenly the room became so quiet. You didn’t know if it was alright to allow Onew sleeping in the same room –to no mention bed– as you. You didn’t know if it was okay or wrong, but you knew you wanted it. Tomorrow will be hard to say goodbye. That was one of the reasons you didn’t have many friends. You get attached to them, they love you, you love them, they leave to start their own life, you have to say goodbye, some of them betray you, some of them just disappear from your life and few of them stay with you. You treasured your relationship with Jjong like if he was your family. At least you had Onew’s phone number. Where was your phone by the way? You couldn’t find it anywhere. You shrugged and forgot about your phone since you weren’t expecting any call from anyone and went to brush your teeth, take a shower and put on your pajama. You cursed when you realized you only brought cute and pink pajamas. At least they will match your also cute .

Onew came back in an hour as he said. He knocked the door. Your heart raced as you approached the door.

“Cute pajama.”

“Thanks.”

He was wearing shorts and a hoodie. He was dressed so comfy. You had only seen him wearing shorts, tees and those snapbacks. Did he have a collection of those? You liked his comfy style. It made him look younger though.

“What’s that?”

“Uh? I like to read before going to bed. Don’t you mind if I read?”

“Of course not. I’m going to bed now. Ummmh, this feels awkward.”

“Why? We’re friends. We’re not gonna have .”

You blushed hard. You liked his sincerity but it would always make you blush. Of course you weren’t going to have with him, but was it necessary to say it out loud?

“Wait,” you said as he crawled to the bed.

“What?”

“I like to sleep in the right side.”

He chuckled. “Okay.”

He piled up two pillows on the headboard and leaned against them. He looked so comfortable, like if he was in his own room sharing a bed with an old friend. In the other hand, you, wearing a pink and cute pajama (and cute ), felt so awkward in your own room with a friend you met few days ago.

“What are you doing? I won’t bite you.” He patted the space next to him on the bed.

Just like a scared but exited puppy you approached him and lay next to him. You curled up into a ball.

“Selene.”

You looked up at his face. He was leaning his back on the headboard reading a book and wearing spectacles. He looked good with specs. You were lying beside him curled up into a ball trying to fall asleep. Having Onew next to you and hearing his rhythmic breathing was surprisingly relaxing. Actually you thought you heard Onew’s voice inside your head when he called your name.

“Selene?”

“Uh-oh?”

“Are you sleeping?”

“Not yet.”

“Can I ask you something?”

You shrugged. “I guess so.”

You’ve told him about you more than any person you had met before. You didn’t see there was a problem to answer his questions.

“What made you think you would sleep better with me?”

Well, you didn’t expect that question. You thought about the answer but Onew interrupted you with his voice.

“You keep saying we don’t know each other well or that we’re not friends. Why suddenly you decided that I am someone to trust?”

“I don’t know. It’s weird but when I’m with you I feel safe. I feel like we’ve been friend since forever. I see you as a friend, but I'm not sure about how you feel. That's why I keep saying that we are not friends. The feeling has to be mutual. It’s stupid, isn’t it?

“Yeah, it’s stupid.”

You saw he wasn’t laughing. He was serious. Your body unconsciously trembled.

“Come here, Selene.”

He closed the book and put it on the nightstand and took off his specs. He leaned on the bed. You thought he was going to sleep but he surprised you by putting his arm under your head. You felt uncomfortably comfortable, but soon it didn’t feel awkward anymore. You knew he didn’t have second intentions.

“I won’t hurt you. I’m just trying to say that nobody is completely a good person. Everyone has something to hide.”

“Do you have something to hide?”

He nodded.

“Will you tell me what it is?”

He shook his head. “If destiny lets us meet again then it will mean that you’re someone special. You’re right in not wanting to trust me, I neither should trust you. But if fate brings us together again and we’ve another chance to know each other better then I’ll be able to talk to you with confidence about me. No I want you to take with you a good memory of me because I also consider you as a friend.”

“I will. But you won’t take with you a good memory of me. I already talked you about Minho and our ed up relationship. You must have a bad impression of me.”

“That's part of your perfection, Selene. I’ve a good impression of you.”

Perfect… you? You were not even close to being perfect. Maybe the closest thing to perfection was that Selene and Perfect both had two e letters. But you didn’t want to contradict him, not now that it was your last night with him. He better remember you as a nice and perfect woman even though you weren’t. You changed topic.

“You said you won’t leave Maldives yet.”

“No, I’ll leave on Friday.”

“What are you going to do alone in two days?”

“I remember you that I originally came by myself to spend time alone. It won’t be a problem.”

“Will you find another girl to seduce?” You laughed.

“I didn’t seduce you, Selene.”

You arched an eyebrow. “So what do you call it?”

“I did nothing. You seduced me.”

Oh.

“Weren’t you sleepy? Try to get some sleep.”

“Are you sure you want to stay?”

“Selene.” He scolded you.

“Sometimes I wake up at the middle of the night because of nightmares. Don’t be scared if I cry or scream.”

“I won’t. Now, close your eyes and sleep.”

“Yes, sir.”

You heard his soft laugh before he got off of the bed and turned the lights off. You curled up into a ball and turned around so your back was facing him. He was far from you –the advantage of having a king size bed– so his body wasn’t touching yours. You couldn’t fall asleep knowing he was there, few centimeters away from you. You wondered if he fell asleep. You could only hear his soft breathing. Damn, maybe it wasn’t a good idea to ask him to make you company. You felt more uneasy with his presence than without it.

“Selene?” he called out your name softly.

You didn’t answer. It was safer if you pretended to be asleep. You heard him sigh and then a gentle and soft hand your arm like telling you everything will be okay.

“I hope you find a good man,” he mumbled.

Surprisingly, you felt asleep and didn’t have nightmares.