New friend

Begin Again

You were standing in front of Thomas’s café before you realized you were there. It became a habit to go there since the initial and main reason was to meet Onew. He said he wouldn’t be able to come this week since he has to give piano lessons to a student called Minho. Lucky Minho, you thought. He got the best teacher.

Since you were at the café you went inside and decided to study there alone. Also, you could afford two more cups of tea thanks to the gift card. You ordered an earl grey tea and sat at the table away from people. Having a good cup of tea and a good environment to study it was the perfect formula to concentrate on your studies. At home you get incredibly distracted. You are reading a text about price inflation and at any moment you are in the kitchen eating or watching Kaicho Wa Maid Sama (one of my favourite animes :P).

From where you were sitting, you could see the main door. You were hoping to see Onew coming through that door smiling as he always does but you knew he was working and you won't see him for seven days. You were about to ask a second cup of tea when a new customer entered the café. She noticed you staring at her and you realized you had your mouth open. She smiled at you. You immediately looked down at your books and did as if you didn’t notice her.

You saw a tall figure standing in front of you. It was her. It was that beautiful and stunning girl from the park. Up close, she was even prettier. You felt a hint of jealousy.

“I saw you on Friday," she simply said.

“Ye-yeah, I think so.”

“I’m sorry, I’m Maia. I’m new here. I came to live here few days ago. I was wondering if I could seat here.”

“Sure,” you said a little insecure. You didn’t know her, but she seemed nice.

Then you thought: appearances are deceiving. And wondered why she decided to talk to you among all the people at the café.

“I’m Selene Bird.”

“Nice to meet you. I’m sorry for bothering you, but I don’t know anyone in this city.”

“Why you decided to move here?”

She didn’t answer immediately. “I wanted to begin again.”

Begin again?

“I’ve one mission in my life and I think here I can reach that mission.”

“Well, good luck.” You didn't know what to say. You weren't good at conversations with strangers.

She smiled. “Was that man your boyfriend?”

“Onew? No, no. He’s just a friend.”

“Oh, I see. Do you have a boyfriend?”

You shook your head. “I’m not interested in a relation. I just came out from a complicated one. But sure you have a boyfriend.”

“I don’t have one.”

“Really? You’re so pretty!”

She smiled. “Thanks. But as I told you, I’m here for a mission.”

You didn’t ask her what kind of mission was because you didn’t like to meddle in things that weren’t your business, especially when you met that woman minutes ago.

“Oh, look at the hour. I have to go.”

She lost her smile and you felt like you did something wrong. Why? You had no idea. You neither had idea why you told her this: “Hey, I come here every day. I’m usually here around 5pm. I can be your tour guide or something like that if you want.”

“I’d love to.”

 

***

 

You went to Jjong’s because you felt like you haven’t seen him for years.

“I feel like I’ve been replaced by Onew. Did you go to the café again?”

“No one can replace you, Jjong.”

He smiled as he threw you a CD.

“What is this?”

“Few songs I composed. I want to hear your opinion first.”

“Damn. That's a hard task. You know I love all your songs. But I’ll try to be objective and give you a professional review.”

“Thanks. How's Onew?”

“He's busy this week. Hey, I already told you this, right? He also composes songs. I'd like to go out the three of us. Next week. What do you think?”

“Okay.”

“I think you and Onew will get along very well! Stop looking me like that.”

“Like what? I'm just looking at you as I always do.”

“You're like analyzing me.”

“And you are spending too much time in my apartment.”

“That's because I miss you, idiot. You're always busy. I feel like I’ve been replaced by work.”

“I was kidding. Mi casa, su casa. Wanna watch a movie tonight?”

You nodded. “We're going to do a pajama party then. I'm going to get changed first.”

“I just said movie not pajama party,” you heard him mumble.

You chuckled.

You wore the most comfortable and cute pajama you found on your wardrobe. You didn't feel shy to wear them in front of Jonghyun. He was already used to see you in them so he wouldn’t make fun of you. He already did it in the past.

You went back to his apartment. It was true you spent the last days too much in his apartment. But you didn't like to be alone at your dorm every day.

“You got a message from Onew.” He smiled.

You took the phone and read the message.

 

I'm so tired. I think I'm off to bed now.

What are you doing?

 

You replied: i'm going to watch a movie with Jjong. Good nights ^^

 

I miss you. Good nights.

 

He misses me, you thought. It gave you a weird feeling, a weird but good feeling. You also missed him. You couldn’t wait to see him again next week and talk about random things while drinking tea.

“Are you going to ignore me?”

“What?”

“Are we going to watch a movie or texting Onew?”

You blushed. “I’m sorry.”

“I thought you missed me but it seem you miss him more.”

You hit his shoulder –playfully. “Don’t be a jealous puppy.”

“You keep calling me puppy these days.”

“Because you look like one.”

He threw you a pillow towards your head. You laughed.

“Hey, what movie you chose?”

“Spirited away.”

“WHAT?! We’ve watched it five times already.”

“It never gets boring.”

“You’re right.”

You got comfortable on the bed beside Jjong when he asked you to turn off the lights. You sulked and got off of the bed to turn the lights off.

“Thank you.” He ruffled your hair. He knew you hate it when he does that. But you missed him and lately you didn't get to spend much time with him. You had a bad habit of talking in the middle of a movie you already watched before. This was the sixth time you watched Spirited Away with Jjong –in the same room and bed.

“I met a girl yesterday.”

“What kind of girl?”

“A really pretty one. She’s your type.”

“Really? You should introduce her to me.”

“Well, I barely know her. She moved to Seoul few days ago. We met at the café today and she approached me. I think she doesn’t have friends in here.”

“Is she really that pretty?”

You nodded.

“I want to meet her then.”

You giggled. 

Jonghyun kept his eyes on the screen, concentrated on the movie. How could he not get bored of watching the same movie over and over again? You could even recite the script. You were not interested in the movie to be honest. But since he was so happy about it you just accepted to watch it again. You stared at his beautiful profile, his puffy eyes and cute nose. He really looked like a puppy. You giggled.

“What’s so funny?” He looked at you.

“Nothing.”

You wanted Jonghyun to find the right girl. You wanted him to be happy. Will Maia Song be a good match for him? She was so pretty! You were sure Jjong will like her.

He has never gone to the café with me. I'll bring him with me next time. You thought before being caught by the movie.