First day

Begin Again

You woke up thinking that the not so big nor too small but very comfortable and romantic feeling cottage was a dream, that Maldives was a work of your subconscious and that you were at your room surrounded by four walls and your ex boyfriend laughing at you, saying that you were a disaster in the bed and no man would like to be with you.

“It was a nightmare, it was a nightmare,” you repeated to yourself while holding tightly the blankets like a scared kid that had a dream about a monster and woke up in the middle of the night. Except that you were an adult of twenty two years and it was morning. And you were alone.

Jjong, who lived next to you would run into your room and hug you and comfort you. You had to overcome it alone now. You had to. You hated to make him worry, especially when your worry was about an . He doesn’t deserve my tears, you thought. And Jjong didn't deserve to deal with such a pitiful friend.

You discarded that awful dream and got off of the bed. Today was a new day, the first day of your deserved vacations. You promised yourself you won’t cry for him while you stayed at this beautiful island. This island didn’t deserve to have a sad and ed up guest like you.

You decided that after breakfast you would go to swim in the turquoise sea and enjoy the sun. It was a beautiful day, the kind of day where everyone should be happy and having happy thoughts. You picked up some fruits and porridge for breakfast. You tried to control yourself to not eat everything like if you haven’t eating for days. The truth to be told, you were a food lover. Who didn’t love to eat anyways? You carried two plates full of food and sat alone in a small table next to the window. You had an incredible view.

You were enjoying your fruits salad, an explosion inside your mouth if you were to describe how good it tasted, when you realized there was a guy sitting few tables away from you was looking at you. He was Asian and had dark brown hair. He had milky skin and looked young; at most twenty years old? He was cute though. He didn’t look away when you looked at him. You raised an eyebrow. Okay? Just ignore him, Selene, you told yourself. You kept eating like if you didn’t notice him. You kept munching your food even though you felt his eyes were fixed on you. At a certain moment you blushed. Your cheeks were as red as the watermelon you were eating. But soon you found yourself annoyed at him.

“He’s so bad mannered,” you mumbled.

You could tell that was a mocking look. It wasn’t that kind of you-are-so-beautiful-I-think-I-am-in-love look. No, it wasn’t that kind of look at all. You frowned at him and lifted up your chin slightly like saying “keep looking at me, I dare you. I’m not afraid of you”. You kept eating and just ignored him. He would eventually get tired of this game.

You headed to your beautiful cottage to get changed into your swimsuit. You just wanted to lie down on the sand and enjoy the sun. It wasn’t too hot so it was okay. You put inside your big beach bag the sun blocker, a good book, towel and of course, your iPod. You wore sunglasses and a big hat.

There were few couples lying on the beach chairs enjoying their drinks and some couples playing in the water. You were a little jealous, but just a little, nothing that you couldn’t handle with a good book and music. You plugged in the earphones in your iPod and listened to music while lying down on the beach chair. Devendra Banhart began to sing Baby. This is life, you thought.

A sudden shadow blocked the sun and you saw a man adjusting the beach chair next to you. The beach is so big and there are so many empty chairs. Does he have to lie next to me? You thought a bit annoyed. You took a peek at him through your book. He was only wearing his swimsuit. He didn’t have spectacular abs, but it was okay. However, once he got up to get some drinks you could see his . You found yourself staring at his muscular back and arms. You suddenly had impure thoughts.

“What’s wrong with you, Selene?” you scolded yourself.

You submerged in your book again and did your favorite hobby: ignore people and your surroundings. Jjong would kill you if he sees you there all alone and talking to no one, ignoring everybody and having this attitude. He would have liked that you could socialize with someone friendly, to meet people, to meet a nice guy if it was possible (well, you weren’t so sure if he wanted you meet a man here or anywhere). But guess what, you were interested in meeting no one. Boys were . You knew not everyone was like your ex-boyfriend, Minho, but after breaking up with him, you were afraid of relationships. You weren’t ready for a new relation.

You woke up at the beach under the shining sun. Oh, you fell asleep. Your book had dropped to the sand and also the bookmark. Great, you forgot in which page you were. You also noticed a glass of juice decorated with a strawberry and a straw. Maybe someone left it there. You picked up the book and the bookmark. There was a note stuck on the cover of your book.

 

Please, enjoy the drink ^^

 

You looked around you but no one was looking at you or seemed interested n you. Who would want to give you a drink? Is it poisoned? You thought. Maybe someone of the staff of the resort gave it to you. It was a cute note. You shrugged and enjoyed it. It wasn’t poisoned though.

You picked up all your things and threw it into your big beach bag. It was so late! And you hadn’t eaten anything since breakfast. You were so hungry. You rushed to your villa, took a quick shower, changed your clothes and headed to the restaurant.

The rest of the afternoon was boring (well, boring for you to read because you pretty much did nothing but lying on the sand enjoying the view and hearing the sound of the wind). That’s why that night you decided to go to the club and have some drinks and hear good music. You were glad you packed up few nice dresses. You were in front of the mirror wearing some make up when you began to cry. You used to spend hours to get pretty and wear your best dresses just to impress Minho. He would take you to nice restaurants or to a romantic trip or just a walk in the park. He used to be so romantic and caring but eventually he got tired of you. You didn't know exactly when he stopped to see you as a woman… You searched your makeup remover in your cosmetic bag and removed all the makeup of your face. Who you wanted to impress anyway? You only put some lipstick because your lips were dry. And then you realized you broke your promise. You betrayed yourself! You promised you won’t cry over him as long as you stayed in Maldives. You sighed and went for a drink. You needed it.

You ordered an Opal Blue Cosmo. You had never tried it before but it looked yummy and it was approved by the bartender. You were waiting for your drink when a man sat next to you. Why does he have to sit next to me when there are so many empty chairs? You though a little irritated.

“You shouldn’t have accepted that drink,” he casually said.

You turned around and looked at him surprised. He was the Asian guy you saw at breakfast. “What drink? Opal Blue Cosmo seems okay.”

He giggled. “I’m not talking about that drink.”

Oh, the drink at the beach with the cute note on your book.

“Yes, that drink,” he said as if he heard your thoughts.

“How did you know…? You gave me that drink!”

He smiled.

“You're pretty a stalker. Where you stalking me? How did you know I drank it?”

“I didn’t. You just admitted it. And I was sitting next to you this afternoon at the beach.”

You nodded and then gulped. So he was the guy with that perfect back and worked biceps. You also noticed those collarbones under his V-neck t-shirt… you gulped again.

“What?” He chuckled.

You shook your head. You couldn’t talk.

“Can I invite you a drink?”

“I shouldn’t accept drinks from a stranger. And I don’t like to talk to strangers.”

“I’m not a stranger.”

“Are you trying to seduce me?” You arched an eyebrow.

“No, I’m trying to talk to you.”

Funny, you thought with irony, took your purse and left with your chin lifted up. You weren’t interested in him, not even in his muscular and flawless back.

 


lol I've never been in Maldives... i just imagined everything by looking at some pictures and also did a little research ^^