Twelve (Donghae)

Decision

It’s been almost a year since Donghae’s father past away. He is grateful to have all of his friends by his side during this dark moment of his life. He could never have survived it without the help of his friends.

 

“I actually have some things in mind that I have wanted to share and I guess apologize to most of you.” Donghae started.

 

Now everyone’s attention is once again serious, taking a closer look at Donghae, Sungmin and Leeteuk.

 

“I am so thankful that you guys were there when I needed you most, I think you all know what I am talking about. When my father passed away, I didn’t think that I can surpass that burden, but you guys have been so great in helping me and my mom get through it.” Continued Donghae.

 

“We said that we would be here for you always bro. Not only you, but to anyone who would need our help, I guess what happened today would actually prove it.” Siwon immediately answered, pertaining to the earlier scenarios with Ryeowook and Yesung. “You mentioned that you wanted to apologize about something? I can’t think of anything that you should be, you have always been a great friend to all of us.”

 

Everyone nodded in unison.

 

Donghae glanced at Leeteuk and Sungmin; the two gave him a nod and an encouraging smile.

 

“Before my father passed away he asked for Leeteuk and he asked him if he can be my hyung. I never had an older brother and he thought that Leeteuk is the best person to take care of me. I guess it only suits him, because he is the eldest among our group.” Donghae told the others, while trying to rekindle the awful scenario. His father was bedridden for a few months before he died. “My father held his hand and asked Leeteuk if he can watch over me when he is gone. Even though my father was very sick he still took time to entrust me to someone.” Donghae continued.

 

“This is something that you should not be sorry about. If you feel like you betrayed us because your father only asked for Leeteuk, we perfectly understand.” Yesung commented.

 

“And Donghae, if we were in the same position as you are, I think most of our parents, would actually asked for Leeteuk, everyone adores him.” Heechul added.

 

“Well, I guess you guys are right. But I am actually not sorry about that. I was actually touched by what my father said to me before he passed away.” Donghae continued looking at Leeteuk this time.

 

“Donghae you don’t need to share this to everyone if you are not comfortable with it.” Leeteuk immediately mumbled.

 

Everyone is now puzzled.

 

“Guys, Leeteuk said something to my father that made me realize that I am so blessed. My father told me that he is not at all worried of leaving because aside from Leeteuk, we was assured that there are more people that would be watching over me. Leeteuk said that you guys, will always be here for me and that you will be there every step of the way. And he was right.” Donghae explained to eradicate the puzzled faces in front of him.

 

“Leeteuk, I want to thank you for giving my father the peace of mind that he needs. Siwon and Sungmin, thank you for the prayers, it worked, and I am doing so much better now. And for the rest of you guys, especially Kibum and Hankyung thank you for your understanding, I have always been crying at the coffee shop but never were you guys ashamed of comforting me. I love you guys not only as my friends but as my brothers.” Donghae continued.

 

“Donghae, our friendship means so much to us, and your father is now at peace, rest assure that the promise that I gave him will be kept.” Leeteuk said to Donghae while Ryeowook, Eunhyuk and Siwon were trying to comfort Donghae.

 

“We love you as brothers as well, Donghae. I promise to always make you laugh whenever you are feeling down. But please don’t ask for it when I am hungry, I am always grumpy when I don’t have food to eat.” Shindong uttered.

 

Everyone laughed a little even Donghae.

 

“And if somebody bullies you, just let Heechul and I know. We’ll take care of that business for you.” Kangin assuring Donghae that no one will hurt him.

 

“And if you need help with school, I am here for you.” Kyuhyun added.

 

Everyone was smiling and was giving their small promises to Donghae when the quiet Yesung spoke. “Hae, we all know that you are thankful to all of us, but I am still wondering what is the thing that you wanted to apologize about?”

 

Sungmin moved to sit beside Donghae and Leeteuk beside Siwon.

 

“I guess, I really don’t have to apologize to all of you, just one person. Siwon…” Donghae started answering Yesung’s question.

 

Everyone was shocked, apart from Leeteuk, Siwon was one of the people that Donghae is close to.

 

“Why me?” Siwon asked.

 

“Siwon, I know that you have deep feelings for Rain, I am not really sure if I should be sorry for this, but I also kind of like her. She was so comforting when my father passed away and aside from you guys, she was the one person that I have trusted. But Siwon our friendship means so much more to me. And I guess, what I had for Rain was a crush. It did not go any deeper than that.” Donghae said with an apologetic stare at Siwon.

 

Everyone was afraid what might happen next. Leeteuk and Sungmin were preparing themselves for the worst, and Kangin and Heechul was excited if ever a fight would start. But everyone was amazed with what happened next.

 

Siwon smiled at Donghae and said, “Donghae, I’ve always known that you have a thing for Rain, I can see it with the way you look at her. Rain is not a hard person to like, I mean she had me didn’t she. But our friendship is important to me too and Rain is a person who will not be able to tear us apart. Each member of our groups is good separately but we are better together. I  mean we have the brains, the looks, the talents, the strength, the heart and the soul, but all of us excel in each area, so if we are together we are better. In addition, Rain also told me something that at first bothered me, but in the end thought that it was actually a good idea. She told me that if she didn’t know me first, she would actually have fallen for you. But again, like what was said to Kyuhyun, we are young, anything can happen. But one thing is for sure, we will always be together, us guys have a bond that all of us should treasure.”

 

Donghae just smiled and approached Siwon, the two of them gave each other a brotherly hug.

 

“To family.” Kyuhyun raised his soda and everyone followed.

 

Again everyone was engaged in their small talks when Donghae, Leeteuk and Eunhyuk realized that Sungmin was missing. They looked for him and Donghae saw him inside the tent trying to wipe away his tears before coming out again.

 

“Are you alright?” Donghae asked.

 

Leeteuk saw them and approached them right away. “What happened?” he asked.

 

Sungmin trying to compose himself sniffed and just said the word. “FAMILY.”