Four (Heechul)

Decision

Even the 2 toughest people among the group had their hearts softened by the stories of Ryeowook and Yesung. With these stories Heechul and Kangin, finally told their stories on why and how they became the bullies of their school.

 

“I too had a lot of bad memories when I was child. Behind this tough exterior that I have, I also have my soft spot. I had an older brother who I have always look up to. He was smart, funny and always has a very positive view of life. I have just always wondered, why people treat and look at him differently. Back then, I didn’t know that my brother had an illness with no cure. He has Tourette syndrome. When we were kids I thought that the weird noises that he makes were done out of fun, I mean it always cracks me up. But when we were in school, people tend to laugh at him and call him names like “TICS BOY”. I hated it, but my brother always say that these people do that, because they were jealous of him, that they cannot do the things and make the sounds that he can. I always see my brother and I as an underdog, even I was affected by his illness, people would ask me how I can sleep at night, does my brother do the noises that he make when he is asleep? I never saw mu brother complain about anything, but it breaks my heart to see him being ridiculed all the time. I swore to myself that not a single soul would hurt him anymore; I was 10 years old then. Since then I have always gotten into a fight. My parents then decided to have my brother home schooled. I guess brother also thought that it would also be the best solution for me. I thought when my brother left school, people would also leave me alone. But no, the criticisms became worst. They call my brother abnormal and they would always say that it runs in the family so eventually I will become like him. The fights continued, there were times when I would see my bother crying to my mom, I didn’t know why. I finally approached my mother and asked what my brother’s problem was. She said that his teacher do not want to continue teaching him because she is bothered by my brother’s tics. This enraged me more. The more bad comments that my brother would receive the more I become angry. I am now not only angry with the people that surround us, but I am also angry with my parents for making him do home school, my brother for still being positive about the situation, and myself because I can’t do anything about it. One day I finally had the courage to talk to my brother, I said I had enough, ‘don’t you know you are not the only person affect by this, I am too. People at our school would call me names. Those I can bear,  but them still calling you names and making up stories about you, like you’re not even able to tie your own shoe laces or feed yourself, that always makes me mad.’ My brother just smiled at me. The next morning when my brother was going down the stairs, I guess he was still half asleep, the phone rang and it rattled him, his illness kicked in and he lost his balance. He fell from the stairs and died. My father found his lifeless body at the bottom of the stairs, after giving me a ride to school, my mom was in the kitchen counter unable to move. She saw the whole thing and was in complete shock. At school I had no idea what was happening back home. During second period our principal called me out and said that I needed to go home immediately. I was actually relieved because I didn’t want to school that morning, plus I wanted to say sorry to my brother, because of the argument I made the night before. I was so excited only to find out that my brother will no longer be there. My mom and dad accompanied me to the morgue and I was my brother lying there, lifeless… My hero was gone. I run up to his body tried to wake him up but nothing, no response, I felt his cold and heavy body. I just sobbed and hugged him, ‘I am so sorry, I didn’t mean what I said last night. I love you. Please don’t leave me like this.’ That was all I can remember, the next thing I knew my mom was trying to wake me up for my brother’s funeral. Again, I cried my eyes out, then my mother said, ‘Your brother talked to me last night, he said that he was so proud of you, and that he is forever thankful for you always defending him. He wanted you to be strong for him and for our family. He wanted you to have a normal life, have friends, have fun, be a kid. He told me that you should learn how to trust people. He loves you so much.’ My mom broke into tears and we just hugged each other, she then told me what happened to my brother. And I promised her that I will be the man that brother wanted me to be. A few weeks after my brother was cremated, my family decided to move to this town. Here I first met Kangin, remember bro, we had a fight on our first meeting, but it turns out we’ll be best of friends. I learned how to trust people, but I will never let anyone harm me, my family or any of you. This is why I have always been defensive.” Heechul told his story sobbing now.

 

The rest of the group finally understood the reason behind Heechul’s toughness. “Bro, I know that we cannot suffice the lost of your brother, but just think of it this way, you now have 12 more brothers that you can always count on.” Sungmin said.

 

“Plus, you can call us names without hurting our feelings.” Eunhyuk added. “Right fatso…” Now pertaining to Shindong.

 

Everyone smiled but was still moved by Heechul’s story. They can’t  imagine what would happen if one of them will suddenly be gone. At this Kangin was about to begin his story.