Part One – One (The promise)

Decision

It was 1998

 

This is the first time that Leeteuk was allowed by his parents to go and party with his friends. He was not your typical guy, he may not be an excellent student, he is also not good in sports, but he seems to have a charisma that everybody loves.

 

He belongs to a group of 13 boys. Leeteuk can describe his group members as such:

 

Heechul and Kangin the pranksters of the group, they tend to bully each individual in school that are younger than them, and at times even older, without any reason, but they have been the protectors of the group.

 

Yesung the weirdo, who happens to be a very good listener.

 

Shindong and Eunhyuk, the comedians, who never fail to make them laugh, but both have secrets that nobody knows aside from the 13 of them.

 

Kibum and Hankyung, the guys from the next village, whose families co-own their favorite café.

 

Ryeowook, one of the youngest among the group, a troubled person with a dark past.

 

Kyuhyun, the brain of the group, a very talented man, whose family is very strict and is always against his will.

 

Siwon, the conscience of the  group, the one who always questions the group’s decision just to make sure that the right one is made.

 

Donghae, the ever reliable Donghae, he always seem to be at the right place, at the right time with the right attitude.

 

And Sungmin, Leeteuk’s best friend, he has his way of making things light for everybody, even at their darkest hours, his simple gestures tend to make anybody feel better. He is the soul of the group.

 

While Leeteuk was preparing for their first night out, he heard a knock on the door, it was his bestfriend Sungmin.

 

They met three years ago, when Sungmin’s family moved to the village after his grandparents’ died. Sungmin was left by his parent when he was three, they were missionaries who embarked on a mission but never came back, and no one knows whatever happed to them. He then lived with his grandparent’s, but after they passed, his cousin’s family, Siwon, took care of him. They were so close even back then that they are often mistaken as brother.

 

“Knock, knock, Teukkie, you decent?” Sungmin asked jokingly, thinking that Leeteuk might be dressing up.”Yeah, you can come in. I am just deciding which shirt to wear tonight, I’ve never been out before unlike you guys.” They went through the whole pile of Leeteuk’s clothes and at the end decided he would wear a plain white shirt, jeans, sneakers and black jacket, the exact opposite colors of Sungmin’s clothes. This was their private joke.

 

Through the past 3 years Leeteuk and Sungmin had been inseparable, it was 1995, they had been more like brothers than best friends. They first met after Leeteuk, Donghae and the rest of their group welcomed the family to the neighborhood. They brought a plant for Siwon’s parents and cookies for the two kids. Leeteuk and Sungmin immediately became good friends, while Donghae and Siwon became well acquainted as well. Siwon’s parent’s loved the 11 kids who first welcomed them. However, they have been in doubt of the quiet kid, Yesung. Eunhyuk and Shindong being the jolly person that they are, immediately told stories on how good Yesung is a person and that he is actually a harmless being. The day was full of fun and laughter.

 

While Sungmin and Leeteuk were chatting, another person came into the room , it was Donghae. When he entered the room, he immediately said that he needed to talk to them because Ryeowook was in trouble. Sungmin realized how important the matter is and run back home to fetch Siwon.

 

When Donghae and Leeteuk were left, Donghae said something to Leeteuk that he carried over the rest of his existence, “Teukkie, I know that when you’re attached to something or someone, you tend to do whatever pleases them, trust me we have all been there. You and Sungmin are very close from what we can see.” Leeteuk immediately responded “And so as you and Siwon”.

 

Donghae replied, “I know, and it’s true. But, at times you need to remember that aside from him and the 11 of us there are other people around. You have the tendency to remain on your comfort zone, and if something might happen you wouldn’t know what to do.”

 

“Donghae aside from my family, you guys are the 2nd most important people to me, and Sungmin has been a very good friend, and I am forever thankful for all of that, you were all there when grandpa passed, it made things a lot easier for me. I would do anything just to make up for all you’ve done ” Leeteuk answered.

 

With a simple response, “Leeteuk don’t say that you would do anything, you might actually regret it in the future.”

 

“No, I won’t I know you guys, won’t allow anything to happen to me as well.” Leeteuk with complete confidence.

 

“I’m just saying.” Donghae replied. Then they heard Sungmin and Siwon calling them from the window.