Eight (Kibum)

Decision

Suddenly the quiet Kibum opened up to rest of the group.

 

“You guys always see me as the rich boy who has everything. I can say that our standard of living is quite good. But I can honestly tell you, I am not so happy with it. I always spend my day with my nanny and at time with our driver. My mom and dad have always been busy with our businesses; we only see each other at most 3 times a week. I am always left with my nanny and a personal driver. My nanny had worked for my family for several years I actually considered her as my second mom. At times I feel sorry for her because instead of taking care of her own kids, she is actually staying with us to take care of me. My only friend then was Hankyung; well our families were kind of tight. We went to the same school since pre-school. Going back to my nanny, she is very understanding, maybe because she sees me as one of her own kids. She would always bring me to school together with my driver. She would even tuck me at night and would sing to me until I am asleep. At times she would bring her kids over and we would play the whole day. My mom and dad were actually generous to her; they sent her kids to school and even provided for their educational needs. Nanny was so thankful of this. Everything was going so smoothly until one day when something unexpected happened. My parents don’t normally pay attention to me, even during our dinner together.

 

One afternoon my father went home early and found out that the money inside their room was missing. He immediately called me out and asked who was the last person to come into the room; I said that it was my nanny. He called my nanny screaming, without letting her speak, my father called her a thief and that she immediately need to pack her bags and that she is fired. I was so shocked with what had happened, I was frozen, trying to understand what happened. My nanny run out of the room crying. I then had the courage to ask my father what had happened. He then told me that an envelop was missing from their room, and that nanny took it. I then asked, ‘Did you ask her? Are there any proofs?’ My father just told me that no proof is needed and that nanny was the only person aside from me that was inside their room. I can’t believe my father jumping into this conclusion without proving anything. I then followed my nanny, and saw her sobbing while she packs her bags. I begged her not to leave and that I would talk to my father. I told her that I don’t believe that she took the money. My nanny just kept on crying. Finally I called out on her, ‘What would happen to me if you leave? I won’t have anybody else?’ At this my nanny looked at me and said, ‘Kibum, I loved you as my own child and I am forever thankful to your parents for everything that they have done for me and my family. ’They can call me anything, such as poor, beggar, lower than dirt, but I am neither a liar nor a thief.’ I have nothing to do with the missing envelop, I just went inside their room, to put your mother’s shoes inside, and I know that they were her favorite. I didn’t take any money from them.’ ‘I believe you nanny and everything will be better let’s just wait for my mom.’ I continued to beg her. She said ‘it’s ok Kibum; you know how your father is, once he has made up his mind that is final. I have been with your family for several years now. I know how his mind works.’ I can’t seem to do anything to stop her from leaving, I just watched her while she packs her things. Once she is done she gave me a warm hug and kissed my forehead, ‘Be a good boy Kibum, I will miss you.’ At this I cried louder, unable to move I just said, ‘Thank you.’ Hoping that she will still reconsider, I hugged her tighter. She then let go and said ‘Good bye.’ I was so mad at my father that I immediately called my mother and asked her to go home right that instance and that there was an emergency.

 

When she arrived home, she saw me in the corner of the living room crying. ‘Kibum, what happened? What is the rush that you asked me to go home right away? Did your nanny hurt you? What in the world happened? Where is your nanny, I want to speak to her.’, my mom asked. ‘She’s gone daddy fired her. He said nanny took your money and that she was a thief.’ My mom run to their room and talked to my father. I heard them screaming at each other. It turned out my mom deposited the money that morning when my father left the house. My dad was so embarrassed and called me to come into their room. I was still so mad at him. He said that he was sorry and that he will ask nanny to come back right away. ‘You don’t need to say sorry for me, I am hurt but, not as much as you hurt nanny. She had been honest with us, how can you call her a thief. You never cared about how I feel. You don’t have time for me, and the only person who I felt that cared and loved me was nanny and now she’s gone.’ I run to my and cried my eyes out that night. The next morning, my mom didn’t go to work. She told me not to be mad at dad and that he will take care of things. She asked me not to hate my father. ‘I don’t hate dad, I am just disappointed with him.’ I uttered. When my father came home that afternoon, I didn’t saw nanny. I thought to myself she is never coming back and that there would always be a part of me that would be mad with my father. I ran back to my room after seeing him enter the house. After a few minutes, my father knocked then entered the room. ‘Kibum, I am sorry, I know I have disappointed you and I have not been a good example to you. Nanny will be coming soon, but she won’t be staying with us, she will leave everyday to go home to her family. Tomorrow, we’ll go to their place and you will understand.’ After my dad said this I just hugged him and said ‘I love you dad. I am sorry too.’ He then left my room. I fell asleep afterwards, too tired from crying.

 

When I woke up that evening, I was expecting to be alone at home since nanny was gone, to my surprise I saw my mom in the kitchen cooking dinner and my dad in the living room watching television. During dinner my mom said that my dad and her will work out their schedules so that they can have more time for me. I was so happy to hear this and I hoped nanny was there to hear them say it. I remembered her always telling me that everything that my parents are doing, they are doing it for me.  The next morning we went to my nanny’s place. I then understand why she cannot stay with us the whole day, her husband was ill and she also needed to take care of him. Months passed, a lot of changes happened, my whole family would have dinner together, there are even times when my mom would cook the meal, and on weekends we are all together as a family. After a year nanny said that she can no longer come and take care of me because her husband’s condition worsened. I understood and asked my father if we can continue helping her family. My family agreed, I guess aside from his guilt he also considered nanny as one of the family. They went to their province for her husband to have some fresh air. We send her money every month and we would talk through letters or at times on the phone. I guess, if my dad wasn’t wrong with nanny, him and mom still won’t make time for me.”

 

“Woooaaahhh, So now I know who you have been writing those letters to. I thought you have a girlfriend that you are not telling us about.” Kyuhyun said.

 

“How is you nanny now?” Leeteuk asked.

 

“Last year the money that we sent her came back, enclosed was a letter. Thanking us for all the help. Her husband passed away that month and she said that the money that we have sent them before was enough to cover their finances. We asked her if she and her children would like to stay with us. She declined the offer and said that her eldest son is already graduating that year and that she knows everything will be ok. We visited her last month, remember my family trip guys? She is doing well and as or her son. Well he now works for my dad.” Kibum said with a smile.

 

“Aside from her husband passing, I guess this story kind of have a happy ending to it.” Sungmin said to Kibum while patting his shoulder.

 

“I guess it does.” Kibum ended his story.