Thirteen (Sungmin)

Decision

Leeteuk immediately understood what Sungmin was trying to tell the other guys. There were nights when the two of them would hang out at Leeteuk’s front porch until the break of dawn. Sungmin would always tell Leeteuk how luck he is to have his family by his side. Then Leeteuk would always tell him that he is also lucky to have Siwon’s family by his side, but nothing seem to make Sungmin forget or even set aside the fact that he never knew his parents.

 

Leeteuk, Donghae and Sungmin went back to join their friends.

 

“What happened? Where have you been? What have you guys been up to and why is Sungmin crying?” Kyuhyun asked with so much concern on his tone.

 

Then Sungmin gathered his strength and told the rest what was on his mind.

 

“All this time we have been talking about our families and all. I know that I have Siwon and his parents with me which I am forever grateful for. Aside from them I also have you guys to always back me up. But I couldn’t help but wonder how it would feel like to have my real parents by my side.” Sungmin started.

 

Leeteuk and Kyuhyun sat beside Sungmin trying to calm his nerves and giving him encouragement to continue.

 

“Although most of you have bad experiences with your families, still, those are memories with your own families. I actually envy you for those. As you all know, my parents left me when I was three years old, they were missionaries trying to make the world better one step at a time. Thing is they never came back; my grandparents took care of me until they passed away and Siwon’s family adopted me. I am grateful to them; they are the closest family that I have. His mother would always tell me that I got my looks from my mother and my self-determination from my dad.” Sungmin continued still trying to hold back the tears that he was able to contain now.

 

“I guess you did, you have always been so charming and I don’t know anybody who is so driven in life as you are.” Siwon commented to Sungmin.

 

“Thanks bro. Your father used to tell me stories on how my dad would always pick me up when he gets home and he would always play with me despite the fact that he is tired. My mom would still make dinner for my dad though it is late at night. How I wish I can remember this simple memories of my parents. I know that most of you have parents that you are not in good terms with, maybe for me it is better than not having your parents at all.” Sungmin rekindling the nights when Siwon’s father would visit his room to tell him stories about his parents.

 

“I know how it feels Sungmin, when my father left I thought it was the end of the world, but it’s a good thing that I have a good support system, you guys. I guess it’s harder for you, I was able to have my father for 14 years of my life, and I have memories of him that I can live with for the rest of my life.” Donghae said to Sungmin.

 

“That is exactly what I mean, I am living each day still thinking of what my life would be if they were able to come back.” Sungmin said wondering.

 

“Sungmin, I guess what happened to your parents was pretty depressing, but moving forward if we look at what had happened to you after the incident you are still pretty blessed. For one you still have Siwon’s family to take care of you, plus the fact that they have all those memories of your parents, you have Siwon, who I guess have been a very good brother to you, and if you haven’t moved to this area, we wouldn’t have met you.” Kyuhyun commented.

 

“We know that of course, no one can replace the memories of you parents, but I know that wherever they are, looking at their little boy now, they would be so proud of you. You are growing up as a pretty decent man. And I guess you are actually following your parent’s footsteps, you have actually been a very good friend to all of us, you might not notice it, but you have been the strength of our group. You have channeled your joy to other people that even the saddest of time you are still able to make us smile. You’re being quiet gives us assurance that everything that we tell you is well understood and kept, and all of the things you said to us always make sense.” Leeteuk added.

 

“We love you Sungmin, and although this would not compensate your longing for your parents, always remember that I am here, I mean we are here for you.” Kyuhyun added.

 

Sungmin once again broke into tears.

 

“I know that guys. I am so thankful to all of you. I know that my parents had something to do with me meeting all of you. Your friendship, love and protection towards me make me feel somewhat complete. I suppose each one of you have a trait of my parents that you represent. I love you guys. Thank you and I hope that our friendship will last forever.” Sungmin said now feeling better knowing that much love is given to him.

 

“It will.” Donghae said.

 

“Group hug!!!” Eunhyuk shouted.

 

They all hugged each other and promised Sungmin that they would always be there for each of them.