Twenty One (Reset)

Decision

            Three months have past; the day when Leeteuk made his decision is still fresh from each member’s memory. As they seat on the bench facing the rising sun in front of the three-story building, they rekindle that day.

 

Donghae :        Leeteuk hyung, it’s been months now but still you haven’t told us how you came up with your decision. I still can’t get over the fact that Sungmin…

 

Leeteuk cut him off and said…

 

Leeteuk :         We actually have to thank Hankyung for that. On our way to the hospital, I’ve dreamt of what had happened to Hankyung and how we did not have any choice for him. Hankyung is as important as Sungmin to me but what happened to Hankyung is something that none of us can do about.

            That day on the hospital I was still not sure what to do, the decision was something so heavy that I know I need you guys to help me make it, thing is, I also do not want to bring burden to any of you. I do not want to lose another best friend, but I also do not want to see him suffer. So that day at the hospital, call me selfish, but I’ve decided not to pull the plug. Losing Hankyung was painful enough and going through it the second time might make me go crazy.

            This is better, Sungmin is a strong person, and I know he’ll get through this. That is why I asked Kangin to prepare for him the best room at this nursing place. I want Sungmin to have a comfortable rest until he wakes up.

 

Kyuhyun :       But hyung what if he never wakes up? I mean, yes I want Sungmin to get better but it’s been three months now and still no changes is seen.

 

Leeteuk :         Kyuhyun, do you believe in miracles? I used to think that people who hope for miracles are crazy because that is something that can only happen in the movies, but seeing Sungmin lying in bed, still breathing and seems as if he is just asleep, made me realize that yes, a miracle is still possible, there is still a chance that he will wake up. Even if I use up all of my savings, and devote most of my time taking care of my younger brother it would be ok. This do not only goes for Sungmin but for all of you, if anything like this would happen to any of you, God forbid, I would also do the same thing. Losing Hankyung made me realize how important our friendship is. We are not just friends were family, and family do not leave one another in times of need.

 

Heechul :         (Sobbing) Teukkie, I know how much you love all of us, but still it’s been three months. If something like this would have happened I want you to do the opposite. Three months without any changes from Sungmin is long enough. Still no improvements.

 

Leeteuk :         Heechul, yes I know three months is a long time for most of us, it’s actually more like 5 years, but you are wrong about one thing and this is another reason why I now believe in miracles. Remember that day when we were about to transfer Sungmin from the hospital to this facility?

 

Donghae :        Who can forget about that, we almost didn’t make it. It was you who were driving the car that I was in.

 

Leeteuk  :        (Smiled) Not that… Ahahah… But that was a good one.

 

Donghae :        Then what?

 

Leeteuk :         Remember the doctors asked me if I was serious about my decision, Sungmin will be as good as nothing, because he would just be lying in bed and all those apparatuses are needed for him to survive?

 

Eunhyuk :        I think I know what you are saying Teukkie hyung and you are right, what happened the next few weeks was nothing but a miracle.

 

Everyone was surprised by what Eunhyuk have said, most of them were clueless of what it was and some were thinking if what Eunhyuk meant was the same thing as what they were thinking.

 

Leeteuk  :        (Smiled) I see that most of you have not realized what it was. Remember after a month that we have moved Sungmin to this facility? It is very rare for a comatose person to live without any help, but the doctors said that he has stabilized and he can live without the help of any apparatuses, we just need to keep him on I.V. so that he won’t get hungry.

 

Shindong and Kibum :            Oh yeah! And Sungmin is just like a sleeping baby all this time.

 

Leeteuk :         Right! And our prince of aegyo is doing perfectly well… sleeping…

 

Yesung :          I am sorry Heechul, but I guess Cinderella now has an opponent… Sleeping Beauty.

 

Ryeowook :     Ahahaha! That was funny, Sungmin as princess Aurora… Well, he lke the color pink, so I guess it suit him.

 

The air was light, it was almost 9 in the morning the sun is now up. Leeteuk’s phone suddenly rang.

 

Siwon :            (On th other end of the phone) Teuk Hyung! You need to come here something happened. (Siwon was sobbing on the other line)

 

Siwon was the one in the room fixing the flowers and the gifts that was left beside Sungmin’s bed.

 

Leeteuk :         Why? What happened? Is he ok? Why are you crying?

 

Hearing this everybody looked at Leeteuk who is now starting to cry himself. So Donghae immediately took the phone from Teuk who can no longer contain his emotions.

 

Donghae :        Siwon, what happed, why is Teukkie crying? Did anything happened to Sungmin? Why are you crying?

 

Everyone is now worried. Then Donghae heard a third voice on the line. “The doctors are here.”

 

Donghae :        Was that Kangin? Why do you have doctors there?

 

Siwon :            Just come here all of you, but it’s best to have Teukkie hyung come in first. I can’t talk now, the doctors are calling me. Have Teukkie hyung come here ASAP.

 

Donghae :        Ok I will. (hangs up and faced Teukkie). Hyung I think you need to go there, Siwon said the doctors are there, and he asked if you can go there before we do. He did not explain what happened, but I sounded as if they really need you there.

 

Leeteuk :         Oh what on earth could have happened. I’ll be there in a bit. I wish there’s a reset button here somewhere that can bring us back a few hours back.

 

Leeteuk immediately run towards Sungmin’s room not knowing what to expect.