Three (Yesung)

Decision

Yesung was on his way home when he realized that he didn’t have enough money to hail a cab, even to take the bus.  He needed to walk his way home. Yesung is the least fortunate among the group. This is the reason why he at times feels like an outcast from the group.

 

His father works 2 construction jobs and his mother is a stay at home wife.  He is the eldest among the 5 children of his parents. He works at a diner to support his studies. Only three people among the group know about his real situation… Kyuhyun, Sungmin and Leeteuk. When he said that he needed to run some errands the three of them immediately knew what he has meant.

 

Around 8 in the evening, everyone had gathered already at Siwon’s place except Yesung. Leeteuk and Sungmin both agreed that they should not start without Yesung, they immediately knew what to do and who they can ask to pick him up… Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun went to the diner where Yesung was supposed to be working that night, unfortunately, no Yesung was found. He went to Yesung’s place and saw his friend beside his mom sobbing. Yesung’s father was in an accident and is currently in the hospital, he is already in good condition but since they don’t have the money, Yesung’s father was not allowed to go home yet, until the bill is settled.

 

Yesung saw Kyuhyun at their doorsteps and he jumped right away to talk to his friend. Yesung told Kyuhyun what happened and made him promise not to tell anyone.

 

“Kyuhyun, promise you won’t tell a single soul about what had happened. I don’t want the rest to feel sorry for me especially Kibum.” Uttered Yesung.

 

“Look man, all of us made a promise that we would tell each other whenever we have our hard times. I guess this would count as one of them. I promise I won’t tell them, that being it is not my story to tell, but I guess you should do it yourself. ” Kyuhyun answered.

 

Yesung, “I will in my own terms, is it possible for me to skip it tonight? I think my mom needs me more here.”

 

Yesung’s mother overheard their conversation and called Kyuhyun.

 

“Kyuhyun you have been a very good friend of Yesung, You, Sungmin and Leeteuk had always helped us, whenever we needed it. You should go wherever you need to go tonight. I am ok, it’s Yesung that I am worried about. I know will get through this. There’s nothing that we can do tonight, so at least make your friend feel comfortable and take this drama off his head for a bit.” Yesung’s mother begged.

 

“But mom, I don’t want to leave, I know that you would cry your eyes out the whole night.”

 

“Yesung dear, I have your 4 siblings to take care of, I don’t need you to feel sorry for our for our family’s current situation, I believe that everything will be better in the morning. Just go out with your friends. We’ll be ok.”

 

Although hesitant, Yesung agreed and promised his mother that he will be back first thing in the morning.

 

On the campsite, the rest of the group was wondering where Kyuhyun might be.

 

“Guys, Kyuhyun just went out to fetch Yesung, he just thought that it would be better if all of us are here.” Said Sungmin.

 

The rest then continued to chat, Heechul and Kangin are trying to think of their next target after the vacation is over. Shindong and Eunhyuk are trying to persuade Kibum and Hankyung to allow their parents to have a stage at the café where they can perform. While Siwon, Donghae, Leeteuk and Sungmin are still comforting Ryeowook. Few minutes had past and Kyuhyun and Yesung arrived. A forced smile plastered on his face.

 

They had bar b q for dinner then sat in a circle after eating. They were engaged in their personal conversations when Yesung broke his silence.

 

“Guys, I have to tell you something. I know that this may come as a shock to some of you, and some of you might not even consider me as a friend, but the sad truth is, we are not as well off as you guys are. My father works 2 jobs while my mom is a stay at home wife. I am only able to come to school because of student assistance. When you don’t see me often after school. I am at the library working part time. Only three people know about my situation, Kyuhyun, Sungmin and Leeteuk. I am sorry for deceiving you guys. That is not my intention at all. I didn’t tell it to you right away because I was afraid that you might pity me. I know you guys all came from families who at least can eat 3 meals a day,  gut with us we need to have extra incomes to do so. I was not really planning to come tonight, my father had an accident at the construction site. He is doing well, but we do not have the money to get him out of the hospital. My youngest brother just had a fever last week and most of our money was given to him. Another reason why I didn’t want to tell you is because, I don’t want you to think of me as somebody who is using you for your money. You never heard asked for anything and at times when you want to go out, I will just make an excuse to get out of it.”

 

Kibum saying disappointed and with teary eyes, “I know that you are pertaining to me and Hankyung when you said that, some of us might not consider you as a friend anymore. Man, we accepted you as a friend for who you are not because of your status in life. I am honestly quite disappointed and hurt by the things that you have said.”

 

“Dude, we loved you as a brother and the years that we have been friends may not be that long but we would understand everything. Promise us one thing no more secrets. Guys, from now on, we should always tell each other if we have problems and we should have a gathering like this to talk about it. I mean Ryeowook and Yesung, after your family we should be the next people to know about this things. We are also your family.” Hankyung added.

 

Siwon then suggested, “Why don’t we all cheap in so that Yesung’s father can get out of the hospital. Now Yesung since we now know that you would not want to feel as if we are doing this out of pity. Let’s make a deal, we should have a fund like this for emergencies as such, then this person at his own terms can make the payment. This way, everything will be equally divided.”

 

Everyone agreed, Leeteuk, Sungmin, Donghae, Kyuhyun all understood what Siwon was trying to do. This is all for Yesung. No one else would actually need it.

 

With tears in their eyes Kibum hugged Yesung and Hankyung did the same to Ryeowook. This is the night where everything will be told. All their secrets and inner demons will be shared. At this moment everyone was sobbing waiting for the next person to share.