Eighteen (Farewell)

Decision

“Hyung wake up were almost there. Are you ok?” Kyuhyun woke up Leeteuk, hearing him calling out Hankyung’s name.

 

“HANKYUNG!” Leeteuk shouted which made Siwon jumped from the front seat to check on Leeteuk.

 

“Leeteuk, are you ok?” Donghae asked looking at the mirror also to check on Leeteuk.

 

“I am ok. I just had a bad dream.” Leeteuk answered back.

 

“You are sweating tremendously as if you are in a sauna.” Siwon exclaimed.

 

“I SAID I AM OK!” Leeteuk answered a little annoyed.

 

Siwon, Donghae and Kyuhyun understood how hard it may be for Leeteuk so they just kept quiet all through out the end of the ride.

 

Now, Leeteuk is once again staring blankly at the window, trying to rekindle the dream he just had.

 

4 AM February 14, 2008, Leeteuk was sound asleep when his phone rang.

 

“Aish! Who is this? Why are you calling me this early?” Leeteuk asked irritably. 

 

“Leeteuk, it’s me Sungmin. Wake up! Hankyung’s mom just called me, we need to leave now.” Sungmin answered trembling.

 

“Calm down bro. What happened? Where are we going?” Leeteuk asked Sungmin.

 

“To the hospital.” Sungmin to Leeteuk.

 

Leeteuk immediately changed his pajamas to a plain white shirt and a pair of jeans. In less than 10 minutes, his phone rang again.

 

“I’m upfront. Just hop in.” Sungmin said not waiting for Leeteuk to even say Hello.

 

The two of them drove to the hospital. “Sungmin, what did Hankyung’s mom tell you? What happened to him? Did you inform the others?” Leeteuk asked.

 

“Aish… You have too many questions. Hankyung had an accident, his mom was crying so I did not ask for any details. Kibum is there already, I didn’t have time to notify the others.” Sungmin answered still trying to focus on his driving.

 

When they reached the hospital they saw that there were media in front of the hospital. The accident was in the news. They didn’t have any idea how bad it was. Sungmin called Kibum and they were directed to go to the basement.

 

“The basement? Why? Is there a room in the basement? How is Hankyung doing?” Sungmin asked trying to hold back his frustration.

 

“You’ll see when you get here. I’ll meet you by the elevator.” Kibum answered, it was obvious that he was crying the whole time.

 

The two reached the basement and saw Kibum seated at the corner when the elevator opened.

 

Leeteuk immediately run to his direction and asked, “Where is Hankyung?”

 

“Turn right on that corner; you should see his mom there.” Kibum answered, his hands still covering his face wiping away his tears.

 

“What the F happened Kibum? Just tell us!” Sungmin now trying to hold the tears back. He knows what lies on the basement he was here once to visit his grandfather.

 

“HE’S GONE! HANKYUNG IS GONE!” Kibum shouted.

 

The two just froze. Not knowing how to react.

 

After several minutes, Sungmin came back to his senses and lead Leeteuk to where Kibum asked them to go. They immediately saw Hankyung’s mom hugging Liz, looking at the bed in front of them.

 

When they entered, Sungmin and Leeteuk saw Hankyung lifeless body lying in front of them, one left leg was broken and his right arm was dislocated.

 

Hankyung’s mother gave Sungmin a big hug, while Leeteuk hugged Liz. The two men were now trying to comfort the two ladies. They were in this position when Leeteuk saw Hankyung’s right hand, something was in his hands. He asked Hankyung’s mom if it is ok to hold Hankyung. She hesitated but agreed to it. The police were done checking on Hankyung anyway. Leeteuk saw the necklace and forced it out of Hankyung’s hand. When he was able to get it, he looked at Hankyung and without thinking he broke into tears and hugged his friend’s lifeless body.

 

“Hankyung why? You are too young. You and Liz are going out of the country soon remember?” Leeteuk  brokedown.

 

Sungmin snatched Leeteuk away from Hankyung he is also unable to hold back his tears, “Hyung he’s gone there’s nothing we can do about it anymore. We need to be strong for Hankyung’s mom and Liz’s sake.”

 

Leeteuk tried to compose himself and approached Liz.

 

“I believe this is yours. I am so sorry for your lost.” Leeteuk handed the locket to Liz.

 

“We lost him, no need to be sorry. And what is this?” Liz asked Leeteuk taking the locket from his hand.

 

Leeteuk was not able to respond so Sungmin answered her back, “Hankyung bought it last night. He was so happy that you and him are now officially together.”

 

Hearing those words, Liz brokedown into tears until she lost consciousness.

 

It was all over the news but the news was still not sure if the passenger was alive or not. Siwon saw it on the morning news and checked on Sungmin. When he saw that he was not in bed, he immediately called him, “Where are you? How is Hankyung doing?”

 

“Siwon, please call the other and meet us at the hospital’s chapel.” Sungmin answered his back weakly. He and Leeteuk were able to calm both Hankyung’s mom and Liz already. Kibum was still in shock and was still crying in one corner, Leeteuk and Sungmin just let him cry.

 

Before 10 in the morning all of them were at the chapel. Sungmin met them there and led them all to the basement. They all saw Hankyung, now fully dressed and ready to be laid in his coffin. They all cried and bid their individual farewells.

 

The funeral lasted for 2 days. They promised Hankyung that they would still look after his mom and Liz as well. Before Hankyung was cremated the twelve of them offered a prayer.

 

After 2 days had passed, they were all called by Hankyung’s mother. They were all given a small bottle with ashes in it. “So that you will always have Hankyung by you side.”

 

All of them made their small bottles into pendants.

 

Leeteuk, woke up from his daydreaming, he was holding his necklace, at the sound of Donghae’s voice, “We’re here!”