Nine (Hankyung)

Decision

“I guess it’s a different story for me as compared to Kibum. My parents always have the time for me. So I don’t have any sad stories to tell. Well, maybe not for me anymore. Kibum mentioned that we were the only friends before we guys met you, so he is the only person who knows the reason why it’s hard for me to cry.”

 

With this, everyone’s attention turned to the quiet Hankyung.

 

“My father and mother separated when I was 10 years old. You guys rarely see me cry. Even after hearing these stories, I do not have a heart of stone, maybe I just don’t have enough tears to cry anymore.  It had always been the three of us, my mom, dad and I. We call ourselves the three musketeers. Whenever there is a special occasion, my mom would always make us a special meal and my dad would always prepare something special for us. The most memorable for me was my 7thbirthday. We had a party at home and my mom and dad threw a party for me. Most people there were their colleagues and such but it was ok, I mean Kibum was there anyway. Little did I know, that this is one of the few happy memories of the three musketeers. My dad introduced me to one of his colleagues, she was a pretty lady, brunette hair, pretty eyes and she moves gracefully, he said she is his secretary. I said ‘hi’ and went back to the den to play with Kibum.

 

Days pass and my dad don’t come home as early as usual. My mom would always tell me that dad is just busy with work. Well still kudos to my father, he still tucks me in at night. But then again lately I have been seeing my mom crying quite a lot, whenever I ask her she would just tell me that she is ok and that she is just tired. Until one night, I heard my mom having a conversation with my dad, I was not eavesdropping or anything, I was on my way to the kitchen to get a glass of water. My mom was crying again and I heard her say ‘I think that is the best thing to do. We can’t pretend forever that nothing is wrong. I guess we just can’t make it work. I am not crying because of our decision, I am crying because I am not sure how Hankyung would take this.’ At this I run up to my room. I guess my mom heard me and I sensed that she followed me. It was the first time that I ever locked the door. She knocked and knocked and knocked but I did not answer. The next morning, I though it was just a dream, then I went down to the kitchen and there I saw my dad’s suitcase all packed. I asked my mom if we were going out to camp. My mom with teary eyes said, ‘Your father is leaving’. I guess I didn’t get what she was trying to say immediately so I asked, ‘When is he coming back.’ With this, my father entered the room gave me a big hug and kissed my forehead, without a word he picked up his things and left. I run after my dad all the way to his car and asked him when he is coming back. My dad just said, ‘I need to go somewhere tonight son, the three of us will talk tomorrow.’ When he left, I thought to myself am I the reason why he is leaving? Am I such a brat that I made my dad leave? These thoughts played on my mind all day; I didn’t even eat that day I was just cried. At bedtime, my mom went to my room with a glass of milk and cookies, ‘Hankyung, you need to eat something. Your dad called he said we’ll have lunch tomorrow. I took a day off so that the three of us can spend the whole day together.’ I guess my mom has her way of comforting me, with her words I fell asleep on her arms. Maybe I was too tired of crying as well.

 

The next day, my dad picked us up at our place, I was so happy I thought my dad didn’t actually leave he probably just need to stay out for work. But I know deep inside me that I am just making myself believe this. We went to the zoo and the amusement park, we even went shopping. We went home dinner time; my mom didn’t have time to cook so we had pizza delivered. We were on our living room couching watching television when the pizza came. It was the kind of night that I missed the three musketeers together for dinner.

 

We were eating quietly when my dad broke the silence. ‘Son, your mom and I have something to tell you.  I think you have noticed that I don’t stay at home as before and that I have left yesterday with all my bags packed. Thing is, your mom and I have decided to part our ways. There are certain instances in your adult life when you need to make decisions, not only for your own good but what you think is best for everybody.’ ‘We are still friends, your dad and I it’s just that we need to live separately.’ My mom added. Hearing these things, I immediately run to the bathroom and threw up. My dad then followed me and said, ‘Son, we are so sorry we have kept you on the dark, it was never our intention to keep this thing from you. We just didn’t have the courage to tell you right away.’ ‘How long has this been going on? It has always been the three of us, how can you keep this thing from me? Is it because I am a bad son, a selfish and unappreciative son? I'll make it up to you; I’ll always help you out and make sure that things will be different this time. I’ll not make you buy me things that I don’t really need. I will be a good son from now on. I won’t demand anything else.’

 

‘It’s not your fault your mom and I just have our differences that we cannot fix.’ Dad replied quickly. My mom entered the bathroom and tried to hug me, but I run out of my house. This is when I met Leeteuk. He saw me in the corner of a diner crying, he asked, ‘Are you ok?’ For some reason I opened up everything to him, Leeteuk a stranger. He then said ‘It’s not our fault that our parents separate, I also don’t get it, but I know one thing is for sure, your mom and dad still loves you and they kept it from you because they thought it was best for you.’ After hearing his words I heard my mom calling my name, I saw them and they run to get me. They said thank you to Leeteuk right away and my mom hugged me tightly. Before we left, my mom and dad invited Leeteuk to have a late snack with us at the diner; he refused at first but agreed after I asked. I then said to my parent to go ahead and we’ll just talk some more. With this I introduced myself, ‘By the way, I am Hankyung.’ ‘Leeteuk’, he replied, ‘tomorrow meet me up here and I’ll introduce you to my friends.’ ‘Sure, but can I bring a friend with me?’ I asked. ‘Sure the more the merrier.’

 

The following day we guys met most of you and I honestly, I couldn’t thank you enough, you made those months better for me. I have you guys to cheer me up especially Shindong and Eunhyuk. And Leeteuk, Kibum and I would like to thank you for introducing us to these guys. Donghae, Sungmin, Ryeowook, Yesung and Siwon, thank you for all of your advices, Heechul and Kangin for always having my back, Kyuhyun for always being patient with me when I need your help with school, and Kibum for always being my best friend.”

 

“Enough with the drama. I am kind of sleepy. One more story and we need to sleep.” Shindong said after finishing 7 hotdogs.

 

“You are such a pig. I know your trying to cheer us up, but the reason why you are so sleepy is because you have eaten too much. ” replied Kangin.

 

“But seriously as have been mentioned earlier, we are a team and we won’t let anyone be hurt.” Siwon added.