Seventeen (Valentines Day 2008)

Decision

Everyone went out of the café and was about to leave. Leeteuk is now riding with Donghae, Kyuhyun and Siwon. Leeteuk remembered the troubled look on his friends’ faces and remembered the lines that Heechul had said.

 

“I guess, it is kind of vicious even for me, but then again we didn’t have, or none of us had this choice two years ago.”

 

Donghae saw the look on Leeteuk’s face and said, “its ok, we are not going to loose another one.”

 

Leeteuk just smiled, with too much exhaustion from excessive thinking, Leeteuk didn’t say a word and just looked at the window and thought about their friend Hankyung.

 

New Year of 2007, Hankyung met a girl at the hotel where he and his family where staying for the holidays. Hankyung was 24 years old then. He thought to himself this is the girl that he would want to share the rest of his life with.

 

Hankyung courted the Liz right after the holiday season was over, the girl treated Hankyung well, there’s just one catch, she doesn’t want to commit right away. She was taking her master’s degree and wanted to finish it before she commits her self. Hankyung understood this term and was very patient with her. What is a few more months or years compared to a lifetime of happiness, he thought to himself.

 

They acted as if they were a real couple. Hankyung would pick her up from school, they would have dinner and meals together and on Sundays, Hankyung’s family and the girl’s family would go to church together.

 

Even the boys liked Hankyung’s future wife. Although they are still not committed Liz would prepare something for the boys and would always entertain them whenever they are around the coffee shop. She was a great help to Kibum, Hankyung had other businesses to attend to, so at times she would be left at the shop to run it with Kibum.

 

Leeteuk can still remember, Christmas of 2007, he and Hankyung went to the Liz’s place and they were immediately welcomed by her niece and nephew. Hankyung handed them their gifts. Leeteuk saw that they were acting as if they are already a family.

 

“Uhm, Hankyung are you sure, you guys are still not together, and you’re like an old married couple.” Leeteuk asked Hankyung.

 

Hankyung just smiled and said, “I know that she the one, why would I need to rush things.”

 

“But you have been dating this girl for almost a year now.” Leeteuk exclaimed.

 

“Patience my friend.” That is the only word that Hankyung was able to say.

 

The holidays had passed and their lives continued as normal. Hankyung’s “girlfriend” was supposed to finish school that March.

 

February 10, 2008

 

“Kibum, I think she is going to make us official.” Hankyung shouted after hanging up the phone.

 

Kibum with so much enthusiasm texted the rest of their friends and Hankyung was suddenly bombarded with congratulatory messages within an hour.

 

“Kibum!” Hankyung shouted.

 

“Well, It’s about time, we have been waiting for this moment bro. We are jus happy for you.” Kibum answered him with a smile.

 

“Thanks I guess.”

 

The two of them laughed.

 

February 11, 2008

 

“Hankyung let’s have dinner, there’s something that I wanted to talk to you about.” Liz said to Hankyung with a heavy tone on her voice.

 

Hankyung thought yesterday everything will be ok, he is now confused not knowing what will happen. “Ok, I will pick you up around 7pm.”

 

“No! Pick me up around 9pm; I want to have a late dinner.” Liz answered.

 

This is the first time that they will have a late meal; Hankyung is now anxious and just said “Ok!”

 

Both of them have been quiet the whole meal. Hankyung wanted to text Leeteuk for some support. Then finally the silence was broken.

 

“Let’s have dessert somewhere else. It’s almost 1130pm.” Liz said.

 

“Whatever you say.” Hankyung now becoming a little impatient.

 

Hankyung cannot think of anywhere else to bring her to, so he decided to bring her to their coffee shop. That way they are able to spend the night just the two of them, and he can make their dessert himself.

 

When they reached the coffee shop, it was exactly 12mn February 12. They stopped by the door of the café and Hankyung’s hand was held by Liz.

 

“Hankyung, thank you for being such a gentleman and being patient with me. Today is exactly a year when you asked me if you can be my boyfriend. I guess what I am trying to say is ‘Yes!’ I would love to be you girlfriend. I love you.” Liz said to Hankyung with a sweet smile and tears in her eyes.

 

“I know you do, your actions spoke louder than your words. I love you too.” Hankyung answered Liz giving her a tight hug and they sealed their love with a passionate kiss.

 

That night Liz and Hankyung spent the whole night in front of the café. They watched the sun as it rise from the horizon. It was an unbelievable sight. They didn’t notice that it was almost 8 in the morning and the café is about to open. Kibum arrived at the café and saw the two of them seated in front. He just gave them a smile and said “Finally. Congratulations.”

 

The two were surprised; Liz’s head was resting at Hankyung’s right shoulder. They gave Kibum a quick glance.

 

“Babe, it has been a long night. You need to take some rest. I will see you later. I might go out with the guys to celebrate. I promise I will be a good boy.” Hankyung said to Liz.

 

“I know you will be, I have faith in you. You need to sleep as well. Ok? I love you.” Liz replied.

 

“I love you more.” Hankyung answered.

 

Then the two once again gave each other a kiss.

 

“Aish, enough mushy stuff we have a business to run. Hankyung, you may still be at cloud nine, aside from the fact that you were up the whole night. Sleep and I’ll take care of the café this for today.” Kibum said.

 

“Thanks bro. Let’s have a drink later tonight to celebrate, around 9 maybe let’s close early tonight.” Hankyung said, unable to contain his happiness.

 

“Kibum take care of my baby ok?” Liz said to Kibum.

 

“Baby? Isn’t he older than me. Hehehe… Well you have a good rest Liz. Drive safely Hankyung.” Kibum to Liz, giving her a smirk.

 

Hankyung drove Liz home and gave her a kiss before they separate. “Let’s have dinner with your folks tonight.”

 

“Don’t you have dinner plans with the guys?” Liz replied.

 

“They can wait. See you later babe.” Hankyung shouted before finally driving away.

 

“Leeteuk, it’s official, we are finally together. Let’s have a drink later, tell the other guys, I just need to rest. I’ve been up the whole night.” Hankyung said to Leeteuk, immediately calling him as soon as he got home.

 

“Congratulations man. We were all hoping this would happen soon. See you later. Have a good rest.” Leeteuk replied.

 

Around 6pm February 12, Hankyung arrived at Liz’s place together with his mother. They had a nice dinner and the two were sweeter than before.

 

Around 930pm the dinner was over and Hankyung bid his farewell to Liz to catch up with he guys. Liz didn’t have any arguments since the guys have been so supportive of the two of them.

 

The night was unbelievable, Hankyung told the guys, blow by blow how the whole night happened. The guys were just so happy for Hankyung that all they were able to say was how happy they were for him and Liz.

 

February 13, 2008

 

Hankyung woke up late the next morning after celebrating with his friends the night before. He planned the perfect Valentine ’s Day for him and Liz. He told Liz to meet him lunch time, since Liz had some studying to do in the afternoon.

 

Liz and Hankyung had lunch that day and everything was going smoothly. Tomorrow will be the first Valentine ’s Day that they would have as an official couple. Hankyung told Liz to keep her whole day open and to just wait for his call, he knows how Liz loves surprises.

 

After lunch Hankyung made dinner reservations for the next day. He asked Leeteuk and Sungmin to accompany him in planning their whole date. As a gift the two of them gave a two-way ticket for two to Macau. “Woaaahhh… We are not married yet, you know that right.” Hankyung exclaimed to Leeteuk and Sungmin.

 

“Just take it, we know how much you guys love to travel and consider this as an early wedding gift.” Sungmin answered him back.

 

The three of them had dinner together and before they separated Sungmin gave Hankyung the address of the jewelry shop where he should buy his gift for Liz. Hankyung was left by Sungmin and Leeteuk after dinner, they have  client meeting the next morning.

 

Hankyung called Liz and asked how her day was. Their conversation was short. Liz was tired from a big exam that day and she finished all of her errands so that she would not have anything to do the next day. “I love you Liz, always and forever.” This is how their phone conversation ended. It was almost 12mn and the shop closes by then, so Hankyung hopped on his car and drove as quickly as he can.

 

February 14, 2008

 

Hankyung bought a white gold necklace with a locket shaped like a heart. Inside were pictures of him and Liz during their childhood, engraved at the back are the words, ‘Always and Forever’. Hankyung was so excited that he kept on looking at the necklace while he was driving. He didn’t notice the truck that was headed his way. All he saw was bright lights and everything went dark.