Nineteen (The Argument)

Decision

Leeteuk was walking in the hospital corridor slowly, unable to move his legs properly. He can’t figure it out if it is the thought of him back in the hospital or the act that he’s best friend is inside.  He remembered the last conversation he had with Sungmin; it was more of a fight rather than a conversation.

 

Leeteuk :         Sungmin, I have been meaning to tell you something important.

 

Sungmin :       Sure, whatever it is, I know it is very important since you tool a lot of time before you discuss it with me. What is this all about?

 

Leeteuk :         Well, you know how much I love our small business right? But I guess I would like to embark into something else. I think I am ready to have another business

 

Sungmin :        I understand bro. Our business is actually doing well, but I guess starting a new business won’t hurt. What do you have in mind?

 

Leeteuk :         Uhm, I am actually planning to start my own buy and sell car shop.

 

Sungmin :        Oh ok. I guess that is a good investment. Do you have the figures so that we could discuss about it?

 

Leeteuk  :        Sungmin, you don’t understand, I want to start the business on my own.

 

Sungmin :        (Surprised with what he has heard) Oh ok. I guess, if you think you are ready for a new deal like that. I am there to support you. You know that I always have your back.

 

Leeteuk :         I know, this is why it is so hard for me to discuss this with you. Uhm… (Leeteuk started his next sentence hesitating).

 

Sungmin :        Come on man spit it out. You are making me nervous.

 

Leeteuk :         I want to sell some of my stocks from our business. I mean, we will still be partners and all it’s just that I need some money to spend on my new venture. And the only way that I could come up with the money is by doing so.

 

Sungmin :        Look, I don’t have the money right now to buy some of your share (Sungmin now a little aggravated that they started this conversation).

 

Leeteuk :         I am actually planning to sell it to some of the guys, or some other interested people.

 

Sungmin was really surprised with what he has heard. He thought that Leeteuk and him had an understanding that the business they put up together will be something that they would own alone and together.

 

Leeteuk :         I know that this is a big decision on both our parts, but I hope that you understand. I have already started canvassing for my new venture and talked to some interested clients who would buy at most ½ of my share.

 

Sungmin :        (Now starting to raise his voice) You did what! You started it all without even discussing it with me beforehand? This is unbelievable! Hyung, I would understand that you want to do something else, but you should have told me about it sooner. I am not at all prepared to share our business with other people.

 

Leeteuk :         (An apologetic tone in his voice) I know. That is why I have talked to some people that I know you would trust. Kyuhyun and Siwon are both willing to buy ¼ each of my share. I can’t think of any reason that we can’t trust them. They are our brothers.

 

Sungmin :        (Sungmin is now at raged with the excuses of Leeteuk) I know that those two can be trusted! But that is not the point. The point is you should have discussed this with me first then I could have been more ready. When we started this business, we promised that this would be ours and no one else. I know Siwon and Kyuhyun are the two best people to share a business with, but if you have told me sooner, I could have been prepared, I could have come up with the money and buy that share that you are selling.

 

Leeteuk :         (Leeteuk now starting to get mad himself) I know I should have discussed it with you earlier. But it is my money and I think I have my own say with it.

 

Sungmin :        (Sungmin, who rarely gets mad is now really furious) You want your money? You want to be out of our business? Then fine with me! Sell your share all you want and then I might as well pull out mine.

 

Leeteuk :         (Leeteuk can’t still bare the thought of Sungmin being mad. As the older one he still tried to calm himself) This is not a rushed decision that I am making. I am still thinking about it.

 

Sungmin :        (Sungmin, confused of what he is hearing) You told me you have already talked to potential buyers and canvassed for your new business venture! I trusted you Leeteuk.

 

Leeteuk :         (Leeteuk somehow understood why Sungmin reacted this way, he remembered the night they have decided the business together. It was theirs and no one else. Sungmin believed that having a travel agency can somehow bring him closer to his parents who had always traveled the world) I am sorry. I should have mentioned it earlier. Let’s call it a night and talk in the morning.

 

Leeteuk took his jacket and was about to leave their office.

 

Sungmin :        You know how important this business is to me. This is the one thing that I am proud of and sharing it with my best friend made it even better. I told you once, that I wanted to start my own small music school soon. I told you that earlier because I wanted you to be prepared if changes would happen to our business relationship. I guess two friends really can’t run a business together.

 

Sungmin immediately grabbed his keys and run passed Leeteuk. He hopped to his car and drove away.

 

Leeteuk was left in  the office still not able to move, he knew that the business was important to Sungmin but he didn’t know how much.

 

Leeteuk called Siwon after 30 minutes to check if Sungmin was already home. He was still at the office.

 

Leeteuk :         Siwon is Sungmin home yet?

 

Siwon :            He was here earlier. Why is he so mad at me? I didn’t do anything wrong to him. Did I?

Leeteuk :         No, It is all my fault. Remember I offered you a share of my business? I never thought that

Sungmin would take it that hard.

 

Siwon :            Dude, you messed up with this one big time. Sungmin, don’t only see at as a business, it is his pride and joy and sharing it with you makes it better.

 

Leeteuk :         (With a smile on his face) He told me the exact same thing. I better call him and check up on him again. Thank you bro.

 

Leeteuk dialed Sungmin’s number, but Sungmin kept on rejecting his calls, so he decided to text him instead.

 

“Sungmin I know I have been an not discussing with you my plans. Can we talk? I tried calling you but I guess you are busy.”

 

10 minutes after he has sent the text message Leeteuk’s phone rang.

 

Sungmin :        Look I don’t want to be a brat but it is really important to me (Sounding a little calmer now).

 

Leeteuk :         I know. Where are you? You know I can’t stand the fact that one of you guys is mad at me especially you. I am so sorry.

 

Sungmin :        I just need some fresh air to clear my head. I am driving right now. I will call you as soon as…

 

Leeteuk heard a crash and the phone went dead.