Chapter 9

Black Pearl

~Edited; Re-uploaded~


 

 

 

        "Joonmyun! Can you come downstairs?"

        Suho’s head perked up and away from the book he was reading when he heard Luhan calling to him. Afraid that something was wrong, he hurried off of his bed and ran out of his room. After practically flying down the stairs and to his death, he was relieved to be met with a happy expression on Luhan's face.

        "Another one of us stopped by." The boy informed him, motioning to a person that Kris and Tao were standing with. They were speaking in what seemed to be Chinese, and as Suho looked at the teen, he recognized the wavy brown hair on top of his head.

        "Unicorn boy?"

        Suho smacked his hands over his mouth as their eyes met, realizing he had spoken out loud, but the teen only smiled.

        "How's your hand?"

        "It's fine." Suho answered slowly, cautiously. "So, what are you doing here?"

        "Joonmyun." Luhan in before anything else could be said. "It seems like you two already know each other, but anyway, isn't the answer to your question obvious?"

        "Yeah... Well we only met once." Suho explained, rubbing the back of his neck. "And I kind of left before we could even say our names."

        "You left so suddenly." The other teen recalled with a slight frown. "Anyhow, my name is Yixing."

        "I'm sorry." Suho apologized, bowing his head a little out of habit. "Call me Joonmyun, Suho when we're out of the house."

        "Can I ask why some of you have two names?" Yixing asked curiously, all disappointment dropped. "Do I also need another one if I'm to stay?"

        "Why don't you have Joonmyun explain everything while I go make some tea?" Luhan suggested, beginning to walk over to a door to the right of the stairs, which led to a hall containing both the dining room and the kitchen. "I'll meet you in the living room.”

        Once Luhan had left, Joonmyun led Yixing to the living room on the opposite side of the stairs, leaving Kris and Tao to themselves. They sat down on a couch in front of the blank TV, and Suho crossed his legs as he looked over at Yixing.

        "So, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you can heal people?"

        Yixing followed with an immediate nod. "That's right. You took off the Band-Aid, didn't you?"

        "No. It's been over a week and it fell off by itself the other day." Suho told him, speaking with complete and utter honesty. "You should be more careful about using your powers, though. Someone else might find out and turn you in. I mean—I suspected you right away, granted I do live in a house full of our kind."

        Yixing nodded again. "I know…but I just remember getting this weird feeling. Like I knew you wouldn't say anything." He lowered his eyes to stare at his hands. "I don't even know how I got here, to be honest, and that same feeling kept coming back after I met you."

        "What do you mean?" Suho asked, beginning to feel concerned for the boy.

        "These past few weeks, I've been waking up in different places every day." Yixing explained slowly, looking extremely exhausted all of a sudden. "It's like someone moved me while I slept, but I don't feel like I've slept at all... It's already been a month, and I'm so tired..."

        Suho watched as Yixing closed his eyes and leaned his head back. He thought the boy had actually fallen asleep right then and there, but he spoke again after a few minutes of silence.

        "I'm glad I woke up here today. I don't really know who you are, but while I've been with you, that mind-controlling feeling hasn't appeared."

        "Do you want to sleep?" Suho asked, thoroughly concerned for the boy’s well-being at this point, but Yixing shook his head.

        "I'll listen. I can sleep later."

        Though he would've liked to let Yixing rest, Joonmyun began telling him about why they use different names. He started off with the story on the news about Kris' outburst, which Yixing said he had seen, then he explained the message about turning in anyone with powers. Unlike the others, Yixing didn't know that people were turning them in because they were told to, not just because they were strange. Suho went on to explain how Kyungsoo had been recognized in public. They still didn't know how, but the changing of names, along with the use of glasses and hats, seemed to be working. Unless those responsible were just allowing them to think that.

        After finishing his long explanation, which had only been long because they look a break for Luhan's tea, Yixing agreed that it would be a good idea to come up with a nickname. He hadn't been thinking for long, when he suddenly turned to look at Joonmyun.

        "Hey, do you have any brain food to help me think?"

        "Brain food?" Suho repeated in question.

        "Yeah. Like chips or something." Yixing closed his eyes and smiled. "Mmm. Chips sound really good right now. Some nice salty Lays chips. I'd kill a person for some right now."

        Suho laughed at that, and his next words came out without much thought or meaning. "Whoa! You’re supposed to heal, not kill. If you like Lays that much, then you might as well change your name to Lay."

        Yixing tilted his head to the side, and then he was laughing, too. "That's not a bad idea. I guess you can call me Lay then."

        "Wait, your serious?" Joonmyun asked, still trying to control his laughter.

        Yixing just shrugged. "Why not?"

        Once they had calmed down, Suho brought the newly named Lay upstairs to choose his room. He had already mentioned how they shared rooms, and Yixing had assured him that he was cool with it.

        "Only Luhan and I have open space." Suho told him, pointing to the right end of the house. "The farthest door is Jongin and Kyungsoo's room, then Luhan's room, my room, Chanyeol and Jongdae's room, Kris and Tao's room, then there's Baekhyun and Minseok."

        Yixing was nodding as Joonmyun spoke, and he quickly guessed that he hadn't yet met the others, though that could wait. As soon as Suho finished, the other spoke up.

        "Is it alright if I room with you?"

        A smile made its way onto Suho's face and he nodded, walking over to his bedroom door. They walked inside, past the bathroom door to the right, and stood in the room's center.

        Joonmyun's bed was in the left corner and his dresser sat to the right, in front of a window. Another bed was next to his dresser, for Lay, with a second dresser beside it to form a sort of pattern.

        Suho sat down on his bed as Yixing collapsed onto his own. "Make yourself at home."

        The Chinese teen nodded and blinked sleepily, face partially hidden within the bed’s comforter. "So comfy..."

        "It's okay to sleep now." Suho told him with a smile. "I'll stop you if you start sleepwalking or something, so just rest."

        Yixing got under the covers and to his side, facing Suho. He was already half asleep by the looks of it, barely getting his next words out before he passed out with a smile on his face. "Thanks... Myun..."

        Joonmyun watched as the boy fell deep into slumber, smiling to himself. At first he didn't agree with the possibility of having to get a future roommate, but if it was Yixing, then he'd live.

 

 

 

 

        "Ugh. They left without even saying 'bye'." Tao grumbled as he watched Joonmyun and Yixing leave, though Kris knew he was only joking. They had already talked to the new guy for quite a while, anyway, and he placed his large hand on Tao's shoulder to draw his attention.

        "Is there anything in particular you want to do today?" Kris asked, bored now that his other Chinese friend was gone. This was generally how each day started off, since there wasn’t much to do when you were stuck in one area, regardless of the size.

        "Since you’re asking, would you mind helping me with something?" Tao questioned in return, to which Kris nodded. "Awesome! Meet me in the basement!"

        The raven-haired teen turned and ran up the stairs, easily skipping steps with his long legs. Kris turned as he did and headed down to the basement without question.

        He spent way too much time there lately, and he was starting to get sick of the plain, empty space. The cement floor was covered in black scorch marks near the center, where the floor eased down into a small drain. Not all were made by Kris. Some were created by Chanyeol or Jongdae, who used cans as targets to aim his electric bolts of fury.

        The sound of bare feet hitting the floor echoed around the large basement, and Kris turned his head to see that Tao had returned, now with pillows in his arms. He handed them off to Kris, who squished the fluffy lumps.

        "What are these for?"

        Tao positioned Kris' hands in the air, level with his shoulders, then he stepped back with a smile.

        "Safety."

        Kris opened his mouth to question him again, when Tao suddenly swung his leg through the air, his bare foot knocking the pillow out of Kris' right hand. The giant jerked back in surprise, putting his hands defensively in front of himself, which caused Tao to break out in laughter. Kris relaxed after a moment more, then picked up the fallen pillow.

        "Couldn't you have warned me before attacking me?"

        "I wanted to see your reaction." Tao said, mimicking Kris' surprised face. "I was wondering if you'd help me practice, though. What do you say?"

        "Well, I don't mind." Kris told him, giving in with a shrug. "I'd actually like to see it again, if I were to be honest."

        Tao bounced enthusiastically on the spot, and then he suddenly moved into some sort of fighting stance, his entire aura shifting. He looked completely different than how he had before, and Kris felt intimidated by his sharp gaze. Just by looking at Tao, Kris could tell that he was skilled, and he made note to never pick a fight with him in the future.

        Kris watched as Tao shifted his weight slightly and he tightened his grip on the pillows in his hands. After another second, Tao stepped forward and expertly brought his foot up to meet Kris' hand, which swung back at the impact.

        "Wow..."

        Even though the pillow had blocked Tao's kick, Kris still felt a dull pain in his hand. He shook it lightly, then moved back into position.

        Tao remained solemn, his stare intense, as if he was about to murder Kris' hand. Even with such a murderous gaze, Kris found that Tao was quite handsome, and he stared right back. Though Tao was normally attractive, with his cute smile and loud accompanying laugh, Kris couldn't deny that he was hot when he looked so deadly, even more so with his dark eyes. He couldn't believe he didn't notice it before.

        However, Kris soon had to tear his eyes away from Tao's small face. He would never admit it out loud, but he would probably start drooling if he looked at Tao any longer. The boy had that much of an effect on him.

        Tao took this precise moment to strike, using a different type of kick to catch Kris even more off guard. Another 'wow' escaped through Kris' open mouth, and Tao finally relaxed, a smile marking his features.

        "Why are you making that face?" He asked, his head tilting slightly to the side. The sly grin on his face showed that he knew exactly why, though.

        Kris couldn't answer at first, amazed at both Tao's skill and the fact that he could go from dangerously y to cute in the blink of an eye. "How...? Why didn't you tell me you know martial arts?"

        "I thought it was obvious." Tao answered, looking slightly confused and almost crestfallen. "I've practiced down here before."

        Kris rubbed the back of his neck. He'd never noticed Tao doing any sort of training, and he became overwhelmed with sudden guilt

        "Anyway," Tao continued, "I can do more than this."

        "There's more?" Kris asked, questioning something that he shouldn’t have been baffled at.

        "Of course!" Tao said with a nod. He jogged to the storage room in the far end of the basement and returned with a wood broom in his hands. Kris watched as Tao screwed off the end and threw it on the floor, only keeping the long handle. He glanced at Kris and took a few steps back, setting the wood handle down in front of him before returning to a straight stance.

        Kris observed as Tao closed his eyes, taking a deep breath before opening them again. He began the next show by popping up the broom handle with his foot, catching it with one hand. Then, to amaze Kris even further, Tao twirled the stick around, doing occasional flips and turns to form a swirling routine with the cleaning tool.

        Kris' eyes were wider than ever as he watched Tao move with a sort of gracefulness, his loose tank top revealing bits of his toned stomach with each movement he made.

        Tao's little performance ended with the broomstick pointed at Kris' face, only inches away from his nose. Tao's chest heaved and he let out a short, breathy laugh before lowering himself to the floor.

        "You should see you your face right now." The talented teen breathed out.

        Kris could barely let out a deep chuckle. "Look who's talking."

        Tao laughed, too, after finally catching his breath. He eventually stood again, putting his hands on his hips. "So?"

        "That was awesome." Kris told him, discovering a passion he hadn’t known lied within him. "You were like 'Huah! Huah!'" With each of his sound effects, Kris attempted to kick his leg in to the air. "Then you were like 'fuh-ching!'" Kris held out his invisible broomstick, moving his fingers around himself as he spun in a circle, almost tripping over his own feet in the process of trying to mimic Tao’s actions.

        By then, Tao was back on the floor, dying of laughter. "Oh my! That was beautiful, Kris! So realistic!"

        Kris' face rushed with heat, embarrassment turning his tone harsh. "Does it look like I'm a martial arts master? Of course I'm going to look stupid!"

        "You didn't look stupid." Tao assured, his laughter dying down. "That was really cute."

        "I'm not cute." Kris grumbled. "I'm a man, not some little girl."

        "Nuh-uh. You still have a few days before you turn eighteen." Tao reminded him, as if that made any real difference.

        "I'm still not cute." Kris told him, crossing his arms in what was meant to be a manly gesture, but Tao’s grin only became wider.

        "Whatever you say, Kris."