Chapter 26

Black Pearl

Edited; Re-uploaded


 

 

 

 

                It wasn't long before winter started to fade. Only those that were allowed to leave the base knew it, though. No one else was aware of the beautiful mountain landscape that was covered in fluffy white snow, which was now turning into streams of water and crushed, dead grass. They were warm and safe inside their mountain home as if everything else in the world was frozen to their liking. They were hardly aware of the time that had passed, and how things have changed.

                It was the first of March, the border between winter and spring, when Siwon called the twelve boys to his office for a meeting. They didn't see him often these days, spending a majority of their time training like always. By then, they were all growing stronger and stronger. They each unlocked knew abilities and formed new techniques to practice. Their training got more difficult with their increase in strength, and they spent every day like this, overcoming continuous obstacles.

                Siwon knew this. He'd been keeping track of their skills and training, and now that it was spring, he decided it was time to step things up a notch.

                Luhan stood eagerly in a group next to his friends when they gathered in Siwon's office. By the look on his face, he knew that something good was going to happen. A treat would be nice, but even a compliment would do good. They hardly ever heard anything from him.

                There were a few whispers going around the group, but they all faded to silence when Siwon cleared his throat. He started with a simple yet suspenseful greeting, and Luhan shifted on his feet in impatience. His hands itched to do something, and he stuck with fiddling with the bottom of his shirt to busy himself.

                "You've all been doing very well since you've joined us." Siwon finally said, and Luhan's heart swelled to hear the compliment that he'd been looking for. He bit his lip to hold back a grin, and Siwon went on with a kind smile. "I apologize for keeping you cooped up for so long, but the evaluation of your training has shown that you all have improved greatly, so I have finally come to believe that you are ready to get out."

                Luhan leaned forward in anticipation as Siwon took a small pause. He had a very good idea about what Siwon was saying, and his heart started to pump faster in excitement.

                "I have chosen to let you leave the base again."

                Luhan removed his teeth from his bottom lip so that he could let his grin loose, and he nearly gave a shout in excitement. He caught the others doing to same, with Baekhyun shaking Chen, and Chanyeol and Kris putting their arms around each other's shoulders. Even Kyungsoo was giving a smile that seemed rare lately, but maybe that was because Kai had pulled him into a side hug.

                Siwon waited with an amused smile until everyone's attention returned to him. He still had more to say, and they were quick to quiet down again, which he acknowledged with a nod.

                "The second half of your training begins this afternoon and will take place outdoors. It will consist of various exercises and drills, and will focus more on possible situations that you may come across in the future. It is to prepare you for the real world, because there is more to it now than you have ever known before."

                Siwon gave a smile despite his somewhat dark last sentence, and his voice next returned in a lighter tone, his eyes curving with his smile. "Now, a treat before you go."

 

 

 

 

 

                The twelve boys were buzzing with excitement by the time they were told to gather at the front entrance of the base. The small opening was bigger now, something none of them had noticed until now. It easily looked like they could all fit in rows of three or four, and they tried to sneak glances outside whenever the doors slid open. A few people would pass by every so often, but the hallway was too long, so the other door was already closed before they could see past it.

                Luhan put his excitement into fast moving words as he blabbered on and on to Sehun, who didn't seem to mind his non-stop talking. Even he, like everyone else, had hints of excitement etched onto his features. He wasn't as verbal about it, sticking to simple smiles and fiddling fingers.

                Each of the twelve boys were also sporting a new haircut for the day. Siwon had treated them to whichever style and color they wanted, saying it was time to shed their winter coats. Luhan was glad, too, because he was getting tired of putting his overgrown bangs in a ponytail every morning. Sehun complained about it for a while afterwards, much to Luhan's amusement, saying he looked cute that way, but it was too late now. He wasn't the only one tired of ponytails and hairclips, for even Kris had been doing it. Chanyeol was about the only one that had been letting his "luscious locks" free, and that alone was scary. Talk about being a creeper.

                They each kept their hair the same color as it had been before, too. Only D.O changed his, dying his brown hair into a dark red. The look matched him well, and he'd received compliments from plenty of others that were also lined up for a hairdo. Apparently, it was the official day to get your hair done in Siwon's book, and the big boss had a few handpicked people in a room running things. Luhan had never been happier to see a mop of his own honey hair on the floor.

                With the haircuts out of the way, the boys waited impatiently for lunchtime to roll around, because they were to begin part two of their training afterwards. They talked and paced impatiently for a while, and when they finally saw Joon and Sungmin walking towards them, all of their excitement merely increased.

                For a moment, Luhan wondered why they were always available. Both instructors seemed to have a big role in this organization of sorts, but most of their time was spent among the twelve boys. Luhan assumed they'd get breaks, too, but there was still the rest of the people to work with. He didn't see how they could make the time when they were together with him and his friends so often. It was the same for Taehyun, too, who was still only their age.

                The thoughts made Luhan furrow his brows, but his attention was quick to return to reality when he caught word that they could go ahead. It was in that instant, that all twelve teens threw out their sense of maturity and sprinted for the doorway. Luhan laughed as he was squished between Sehun and Xiumin, for the doors were a little slow to slide open for them. He could care less that he was getting elbowed and his toes were stepped on, because he just wanted to get outside.

                When they all stumbled into the outside world, they had to shield their eyes against the sun. It was different than the lights that had replaced it for so many months, and Luhan relished in the feel of its warmth. He was hit with the fresh smells of nature, and he found himself laughing as his shoes squished in the mud underfoot. When his eyes adjusted to the bright sun, he gazed around at the bare trees that were already beginning to bud. The mountainside was covered in dripping water and dead vegetation, but Luhan could see the new growths shooting up. The grass was dim and dead from the weight of winter snow, with mud seeping everywhere from the freshly melted water supply. All sorts of scents reached Luhan's nose, and he breathed in the fresh air deeply, his arms spread out next to him. 

                "This is great..." He heard Xiumin whisper.

                "The sky is so pretty!" Tao's voice followed.

                "This breeze is so nice." Kris' deep voice murmured, and Luhan thought of jokingly asking him if he'd get carried away by it, seeing as he could fly and all, but he stopped himself before opening his mouth.

                "Oh, Lay! Are you crying?" Suho was the next to voice out his surprise, and Luhan turned in the direction of his voice to see that Lay was indeed crying. Tears fell silently down his cheeks, and Suho leaned forward with worry visible on his face. "Are you okay? Is something wrong?"

                Lay's hands lifted to wipe his eyes, and he gave a small head shake. "It's just... I nearly forgot what the sun looked like..." His voice was thick, and Luhan pouted his lips to see his poor friend cry. "I'm so happy to see it again, to be outside again. It feels so great."

                Luhan nodded in agreement, though the breeze was still a bit chilly. He tried to rub away to goosebumps forming on his arms, and he was thankful when Sehun put a warm arm around him. He smiled up at the younger boy and leaned into him to express his content, letting his head fall against his shoulder as he breathed in deeply.

                Joon and Sungmin allowed them to wander around a bit, giving them a chance to get used to the outside again. It was different, and Luhan felt more free. It was clear that the others felt the same, because it wasn't long before they were all just messing around with each other. Luhan watched from the sidelines as they attempted to play a childish game of tag, but then they just started complaining about Jongin cheating, though he said using his powers was completely fair. And that's when Xiumin came in and started freezing the bottoms of shoes to the ground, seeming to agree with him, which led to some of the others using their powers, too. Though the others couldn't really do much.

                Suho broke off after a few minutes and wandered over to a puddle of water with Lay and Kyungsoo at his side, and Luhan caught him drawing the water into the air in various shapes and forms. The other two were staring intently at what he was doing, and it made Luhan smile to see everyone enjoying themselves so much.                                    

                But eventually, their fun had to come to an end. Joon and Sungmin called for them, and then they were led through the surrounding trees. They weren't given any explanation for where they were going as they trekked through the trees, and after a long while, they came to a valley between two mountain peaks. Luhan gaped at the beautiful scenery, wishing it were further in spring so that he could see more of the lush green vegetation.

                The area was somewhat hidden, and they were told that that was why the location was perfect for their training. They were ordered to run to the center of the main valley clearing, and the twelve boys obediently descended down the sloping land. It was only a small hill, but most of them tripped and stumbled over their own feet as they sprinted down. The momentum had Luhan running with no sign of stopping as he reached the bottom, and he felt a burn in his calf muscles when he was finally able to come to a halt. It was a burn that he missed dearly.

                There was a small structure built into the side of the valley, and they were next ordered to stand in two staggered rows facing it. Luhan was reminded of the movies he had seen with boot camps, feeling as though he were in one himself now. Except for the fact that Joon and Sungmin were definitely less strict. He was thankful for that.

                "Attention!" Joon spoke out, his voice loud and clear for everyone to hear. All eyes were on him as he went on, expectant for what he had to say. "From now on, you will come to this same spot every other day for training, unless told a different location. These new sessions will bring together everything we have taught you and put it into real tests and exercises. Some days you will do the same thing, other days we'll give you something new. And we will also bring out other teams for you to train with."

                Joon stopped, and Sungmin continued from where he left off.

                "More than anything, this is what you need to focus on. It won't be long now before you will have to use your powers for something bigger than training. You'll have to go against real opponents to protect real citizens, and you cannot afford to make mistakes when that time comes." Sungmin's expression was dark and serious, and his words stuck clearly with everyone. "Time is running out. We need to train you as much as possible before a full-on attack. That way, our chance of success is highly probable."

                Joon spoke once more, his stance strong and firm, gaze serious as he made eye contact with each of the boys in turn.

                "You are EXO—protectors of Earth, it's people, and the future of our home."

 

 

 

 

 

                "EXO..." Suho murmured the name over dinner that night, gaining everyone's attention. He hadn't really meant to, but things were still sinking in for him.

                It was a surprise to be told he'd be a leader of their group. Siwon had told him personally right before he went down for dinner, pulling both him and Kris off to the side to speak privately. It seemed that Kris already knew, or maybe he just hid his surprise well. Suho wasn't sure, but he definitely wasn't expecting something like that.

                There were so many things wrong with him, he didn't think he'd get chosen. He'd broken down so many times. When Lay was first captured, and again when he woke, and even at night, when the room was empty other than himself. He couldn't count the number of times he'd cried and nearly given up hope, so of course he'd be surprised to get told that he was worthy of being a leader.

                Suho wasn't strong. He made so many mistakes and even now, it was hard to face Lay without spilling the truth. He cared for the boy more than he knew, but he missed the old Yixing. His smile was the same and his personality was the same, but it was also different. He could tell something was off, and he often caught the boy looking off into space with a blank expression on his face. It was as if he could almost see it, too.

                One thing that Suho really wondered about as he messed with his dinner, was the meaning of their name, which led to him speaking his thoughts aloud. EXO. It was the name of their planet, yet they were the only group named after it. He had heard of some of the others. B.a.p., Shinee, Got7, and even Super Junior, which apparently contained the higher ups of this whole organization, including Siwon and Sungmin. They were names used out in the field, apparently, so that individual names wouldn't have to be memorized or spoken when orders were given. Teams, squads, groups. Whatever you wanted to call them, were all formed with names given by Siwon himself, which made Suho really think about the meaning behind theirs.

                "EXO..." He mumbled the name again, and this time Kai spoke up, too.

                "Whatcha thinkin' about, Suho?"

                Suho blinked and looked up to see that his friends were all looking at him. For once, it seemed that no other conversation was going on, and it was silent when he spoke.

                "We're a team..." He murmured next, his eyes trained on his dinner in front of him. "We've gone through so much, and it seems like it not going to end anytime soon. Not within the next few days, anyway." He paused to think, then he took the time to look up at the friends that surrounded him. "I just want to say that I will do my best as a leader, and I will always be here to protect you guys and give you hope! Whatever it is that we have to do, we can get through it! We're a team, and we will always be able to win as long as we stick together!"

                "We are one!" Kris raised his voice, along with a fist in the air, a grin on his face. After a moment, though, he let his arm fall down and he glanced down in embarrassment. "Sorry... It just hit me..."

                "No." Sehun shook his head, and a smile formed his face. It was a surprise, seeing as he was the last to join the group, and the youngest out of them all. His usual stone-like expression was gone as he gave Kris a nod. "I like it."

                Suho smiled, too, and he stuck his hand out over the table, wiggling his fingers to get everyone to do the same. "We are one!" He said firmly.

                The others all broke out into smiles, bring their hands together to chant in sync, their surroundings forgotten in the moment. "We are one!!"

                Eyes turned in their direction curiously, though none of the boys noticed. Taemin popped his head in, though, a grin on his face as he glanced around. "Ooo, is this a pep talk? Can I join?"

                Kai, who happened to be sitting nearest to him, gave him a small shove, though he was grinning as he did so. "Stay over there, Tae. Eat your dinner."

                Taemin gave a fake pout to his friend, but turned and did as he was told. Suho kept on smiling as he ate, not able to hide his happiness. For a while, he forgot about how much of a mistake he was. All thoughts of him being weak left his mind as he joked around with his friends, his attention constantly diverting to Lay's bright smile. Happiness filled him with light, pushing out any darkness that remained so that he could spend the night free of any more negative thoughts.

 

 

 

 

 

                Baekhyun lay in bed next to Chanyeol, his thoughts churning as he gazed up at the dark ceiling. Things were changing again; he could feel it. It was a good change, thankfully. One that made him smile at the most random times, like now. He liked it that way, though.

                Baekhyun grinned at the ceiling above him, thinking back through the day. From first talking to Siwon, to getting their hair done, to going outside, and then to dinner. Having a leader sounded nice. He didn't think they'd get one, but it gave him a sense of security now that he knew they had two. And the fact that they went outside was a bonus. He'd really missed the fresh air and the sunlight. It had almost felt like his powers were increased when he was under the bright rays of light.

                Baekhyun let out a content breath from where he lay, turning onto his side to casually throw an arm over Chanyeol's stomach. The taller teen was stretched out on his back next to him, his arms bent behind his head as he, too, stared at the ceiling above, and his head turned down when Baekhyun moved closer to him.

                "Something wrong?" He asked quietly, his deep voice vibrating in the silence.

                Baekhyun smiled and closed his eyes as he let his head rest against Chanyeol's chest. He could hear the boy's heartbeat, and his surrounding warmth was comforting. "I like it." He murmured, not really specifying anything, though Chanyeol seemed to understand. Baekhyun could feel the movement of his head as he gave a nod, and his low hum could be felt through his clothed chest.

                Chanyeol shifted underneath him, so Baekhyun lifted his head back up, wondering if he was going to move. The taller teen smiled at him, his teeth unrevealed for once, and let his hand fall onto Baekhyun's head. He shifted down a bit to lay more on the bed than his pillow, and then Baekhyun felt his head being guided back down.

                Baekhyun blushed as Chanyeol returned his head to his chest, where his hand continued to run through his hair in a comforting way. He smiled slightly and nuzzled his face closer to the chest beneath him, another content breath leaving him.

                Chanyeol's hand drifted down, sliding along his arm to stop at his side. His large hand curved over his waist softly, sending warm tingles running through Baekhyun's body. The smaller teen tightened his arm a bit so it was more like he was hugging Chanyeol instead of just draping his arm over him, and he felt Chanyeol's do the same.

                Baekhyun felt safe. In Chanyeol's arms, so close to him, he was made safe. It was where he wanted to stay; forever if possible. Even if a herd of crazy people ran into the room right then, threatening to kill them, he knew he'd be okay. There was nowhere else he'd rather be.

                He wanted to savor the moment. To be able to feel Chanyeol so surely was amazing, not to mention he smelled great. It was funny, really. He'd been the one to say that he wouldn't be surprised if his friends hooked up with each other. He was right, of course, though he was no exception. His and Chanyeol's position at that moment clearly gave it away, and it made him smile knowing that.

                Exhaustion pulled at Baekhyun's eyelids, and his eyes slowly slid closed again. The sound and feel of Chanyeol's steady breathing, along with the events of the long day were bringing him closer to sleep, as much as he didn't want to just yet. He felt his mind pulling him downwards to sleep, and right before he drifted away, he could faintly hear Chanyeol murmuring "Goodnight, Your Majesty" in his ear.

                But what he failed to miss, were the simple three words that came right after that, for he was already asleep. ​​​​​​

 

 

 


 

God, I love Baekyeol <3