Chapter 10

Black Pearl

~Edited; Re-uploaded~


 

 

        It was silent in Xiumin's room, like usual, and he sat on his bed listening to music while he read a book. He was lucky enough to have brought along his phone charger when he left his house, and he was able to repeatedly listen to the playlists on his cell phone since he had a way to recharge it. That was the only purpose of the device, though, as he didn’t call or text anyone outside of the house anymore, but it was enough. He listened to the same selection so often that he knew each word and beat by heart, and he caught himself singing along without even realizing it on many occasions.

        Despite the sound of his own audible voice, he still considered the room to be silent when he was sitting all alone. It was his safe bubble, isolated from the others unless Baekhyun was present, and he relished in the lengthy periods of time he had alone. However, it didn’t last long on this particular day, and the door to his bedroom soon flew wide open, a body tumbling in as it did so.

        The resulting gust of wind ruffled the pages of the book he held and Xiumin jumped up in surprise, nearly twisting his ankle as he stood. The novel fell to the floor with a thump, his page now lost, and he yanked out his earbuds to stare at the person sprawled on his floor.

        "Jongdae!?"

        Said boy hurried to his knees, eyes wide and hands up in defense.  "I'm so sorry for bothering you, Minseok!"

        Xiumin relaxed back onto his bed, letting out a long breath to calm his rapid heartbeat. "No, it's fine. You just startled me."

        "I'm so sorry!" Chen repeated from his lowered position. "Baekhyun and Chanyeol chased me out of my room and your door was cracked and I just fell right in!" His chest was heaving and Xiumin sent him a small smile of reassurance.

        "I said it's fine." He paused before continuing. "If you want, you can stay in here until Baekhyun returns."

        Chen's lips broke into a suddenly wide grin. "Really? Thanks, Minseok!"

        Minseok watched as Jongdae took a seat on the floor under the window between his and Baekhyun's beds, which were pushed in opposite sides of the room. For the first time since he entered the room, Minseok noticed the book in Chen's hand.

        "Are you reading, too?" He asked, though the answer was quite obvious.

        Chen looked down at his novel, then answered with a nod. "I only just started, but it's good so far."

        Xiumin hummed in response and grabbed his own book from the floor, settling comfortably on his bed while he searched for where he left off. Once his page was found, he resumed his reading. A few minutes later, out of the corner of his eye, he saw Chen shifting on the floor. Why the boy didn’t just read downstairs, he didn’t know, so he went with the next best thing.

        "You can come up here if it's more comfortable for you." He told the younger teen, who smirked the slightest bit.

        "Only since you so kindly offered."

        Jongdae stood and moved to sit at the end of Minseok's bed, his back leaning against the wall. His legs hung off the side of the mattress, and Xiumin sat up some more so that his feet wouldn't hit him.

        With both teens sitting comfortably, the room returned to silence, but Minseok couldn't concentrate on his book anymore. He had to have read the same paragraph six times already, but the words just weren’t sinking in. With an inaudible sigh,  he closed the hardcover and set it down beside him, crossing his arms comfortably over his stomach as he directed his eyes towards the male beside him.

        "So Jongdae," he began. "Why exactly were you kicked out of your own room?"

        Chen looked up, pushing pale honey-colored hair away from his eyes. He closed his own book and pulled up his right leg to hug it to his chest. His cheek rested on his knee as he tilted his head to look over at Minseok.

        "Baekhyun said I have a big mouth and he doesn't want me to hear his and Chanyeol’s plan.” He used his fingers as quotations around the word plan, giving a barely noticeable roll of his eyes. “He said he doesn't trust me to keep a secret."

        "Well that's mean." Xiumin commented, brows furrowing in disappointment. "What exactly are these plans, anyway?"

        "I guess it's Kris' birthday today, from what I did manage hear." Chen explained with a shrug. "They're probably planning a surprise party or something."

        "We shouldn't be partying in the position we're all in now." Xiumin said, immediately against the idea. “We can’t afford to use up our minimal resources.”

        “What is this, war? Nothing bad has happened in quite a while, so what is there to worry about?"

        "That's exactly why we should worry! Something's bound to happen!" He insisted, digging a hand through his hair. “We have everything to worry about!”

        "Aw! C'mon Min!" Chen shook Xiumin's legs with a playful hand. "Loosen up! Just for one night."

        "We don't even know if they're going to have a party." Minseok mumbled, still uncertain and overwhelmed with anxiety.

        "It's Baekhyun and Chanyeol; they'd do anything to have some fun."

        "Look who's talking."

        Chen’s grin curved lopsided. "I won't deny it, but you should really relax for a bit. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone more tense."

        "I relax all the time." Minseok argued, a surge of annoyance rushing through him. "If you didn't notice when you first barged in, I was having a grand time listening to music by myself!"

        "That's not relaxing. Partying is relaxing." Jongdae went on to persist, and that snapped the metaphorical straw inside Minseok’s head.

        A few moments passed, then Minseok finally responded. "Jongdae. Please get out."

        Chen was clearly shocked at the sudden demand, eyebrows drawn up at an impossible angle. "W-what? Why so sudden?"

        Xiumin swiftly stood and helped to pull him over to the door. "I don't want to hear about a stupid party right now. Please, just let me relax by myself."

        "Min... Did I do something wrong?" Chen asked, voice small. "Are you mad at me?"

        Xiumin shook his head, despite his mind insisting that he was angry and he should remain isolated for the night. It was impossible for him to be angry with Jongdae, but this emotion he felt was so sudden and confusing, he just had to go with it. "I guess I just want to be alone." He said.

        "Is it because I kept going on about a party? Am I annoying you?" Chen babbled on, worry creasing his forehead He might even have continued further had Xiumin not grabbed his arm to prevent him from saying any more.

        "Jongdae, stop. I’m not sure why I want you to go, but I know I want to be alone right now. It sounds strange, yes, but I’m really not angry with you, so please."

        They stared at each other for a moment, Minseok pleading silently with all his physical might, then Chen sighed in a visually painful defeat.

        "Okay, but if there's a party, then you have to promise me you'll go. You're too stiff."

        "Fine, fine. I'll go." Xiumin gave in with a roll of his eyes, pushing Chen out the door. "Goodbye!"

 

 

 

 

 

        Hushed whispers sounded throughout the pitch-black dining room, all of them blending together except for Jongin’s, whose voice Joonmyun could make as the boy tried to quiet the others. There was a loud clatter on the opposite side of the room, followed by a squeak from Luhan, then Baekhyun's voice rose above the rest as a hoarse whisper.

        "Shut up!"

        The room immediately fell silent—o quiet that Joonmyun could hear Yixing shifting excitedly beside him. In all the time he had been in this house, he didn't know they could be this discreet. However, it was a special occasion, after all.

        After a few moments of pure silence, footsteps could be heard outside the room, growing louder with every second. The area became even quieter, if possible, as everyone froze and held their breath. Moments later, the curtain that hid the archway into the room was pushed aside.

        In a flash, the lights were on and they all jumped up, chorusing a loud ”Surprise!!”

        At the entryway, Kris jumped back, letting out a shocked ”Holy !” in the process of his scare. His hand covered his heart and he bumped into an amused looking Tao, who had led him to the room for what he had thought was a simple dinner. Kris then clutched onto his younger friend and closed his eyes, his weight sagging. "My heart..."

        The room erupted in laughter at Kris' reaction, and he eventually asked what was going on.

        "Jeez. Don't you know a birthday party when you see one?" Baekhyun retorted sarcastically in response to the oblivious teen. Kris blushed visibly at that, and Joonmyun could barely hear him mutter a small ”thank you”. But that alone was enough to suffice.

        With the initial surprise now over, Tao pulled Kris over to the table and they sat down. Suho sat across from Kris with Yixing beside him, and the others all followed by choosing their own seats. Kyungsoo, Jongin and Luhan hurried into the kitchen instead of sitting, returning with food in their hands. They had prepared a feast, and Joonmyun's mouth watered as he looked at all that they made. It took a few trips for them to bring out everything, but they eventually took their seats and everyone dug in.

        Casual conversations started, bringing the volume of the room to a roar. That was mainly because of Chanyeol, Jongdae and Baekhyun at the opposite end of the table, though. Joonmyun was practically yelling to keep a conversation with Kris, and it didn't help when Jongdae decided to bring out his corny jokes, sparking a series of obnoxious laughing fits.

        Minseok had already had enough. He seemed to have left as soon as possible with two large plates of food in his hands. He didn't even return for a drink.

        At his side, Yixing and Luhan kept up a heated conversation in Chinese, so Joonmyun could only imagine the things they were talking about. He was a little left out due to the language barrier, but Kris was kind enough to share a few words with him while they ate.

        Eventually the food was long gone, and then everyone was hungry for cake. It hadn’t taken long for Joonmyun to learn that their hunger was hardly ever sated, and it was thanks to his bank account which was left open that they were even able to fill themselves as much as they did. Another thing that Joonmyun learned and appreciated, was the fact that the entire room could be rendered silent when Kyungsoo brought out the dessert. Yixing, who Joonmyun hadn’t even seen leave his seat, then ran over from the direction of the kitchen, waving his arm in the air.

        "I got a lighter!"

        Joonmyun's eyes instantly grew wide, and he jumped up from his seat. "Be careful, Xing!"

        "Xing?" There was a nudge in Joonmyun's side as Jongdae eyed him questionably, seeming to have come out of nowhere. "I see you have a nickname for our little Yixing, now."

        Joonmyun blushed with intense embarrassment. The name had slipped by accident. He had only ever used it when they were alone, and he definitely hadn't meant to use it in front of the others. People like Jongdae would assume things… Rightfully so.  

        He did his best to ignore the eyes that were on him as he moved to ease his worries of Lay handling a lighter. He gently took the small object from Yixing's hand, trying not to seem too overprotective as he did so, though his actions enough were already clear.

        "That's not needed. Chanyeol can light the candles."

        A smile graced Yixing's lips as he laughed, too innocent for his own good. "Oh, I guess you’re right."

        Joonmyun’s heartache eased at the sight before him and he hurried to put the lighter away in a kitchen drawer. When he returned to the dining room, the lights were off and everyone was gathered around the softly glowing cake. Tao was rapping some sort of birthday song alongside Chanyeol's beat boxing and Baekhyun hummed his own accompanying part.  Joonmyun wasn't aware of their talents before then, and he wondered if the others also had musical skills—Or any other skills for that matter. He would have to ask them eventually to see.

        The lights were flicked on once Kris blew the candles out—his wish remaining unspoken—and Kyungsoo quickly moved on to cutting the cake. Joonmyun watched as Jongdae took two slices of cake and headed out of the room. He was confused at first as to why, until he recalled how Minseok had left earlier.

        And he was bugging me about giving Yixing a mere nickname...

        Joonmyun shook his head and moved to stand to the side of the room so that the others had more room for their following activities. Jongin and Chanyeol had hurried to finish their cake slices, and now they began pushing the dining tables against the bookshelf that took up the opposite wall. They cleared any garbage off the wood floor, then Jongin went and brought two large speakers into the room. He inserted a stray wire into his phone and loud music suddenly poured out of the speakers, the base thumping against the walls and rattling some portraits that hung on the wall.

        Joonmyun should've known this would happen. There's no way they could have a normal birthday party, but then again, his idea of normal was receiving a single present from one of his parents' servants, so he'd much rather have some fun. As long as there was no alcohol. He didn't want to deal with a bunch of teenagers who couldn't handle more than a single glass.

        A smile grew on his face as he watched Jongin start to dance, which was immediately shown to be one of the boy’s own talents. Luhan also watched cheerfully from the side while shoving plate after plate of cake into his mouth, and Chanyeol joined in on the dancing, too. However, this only resulted in Baekhyun spitting frosting all over the place due to laughter, compared to the stares of awe that Jongin received.

        Minseok finally showed his face again as Jongdae pulled him into the room, and then to the make-shift dance floor. Jongdae seemed intent on getting the eldest teen to dance, and he eventually managed to ease the other into doing a little sway, though Xiumin was still less than willing to do so. Joonmyun couldn't contain a laugh as he saw the differences in each of their abilities. Not everyone could be a good dancer like Jongin, it seemed, though he wasn't any better, himself.

        The dull sound of a screeching chair made Joonmyun turn, his attention now fixed on the person beside him.

        "Kris."

        A nod.

        "Joonmyun."

        "What's up?" Joonmyun asked brightly, amused at the awkward greeting they shared.

        Kris plopped down in the chair he brought over, holding up one of the two slices of cake he held. "Want some?"

        "Thanks." Joonmyun accepted the plate of dessert as Kris went on to speak.

        "Thanks for the party. I know you spent your own money on it." Kris let out a deep chuckle. "We'd all be dead from starvation by now if it weren't for you."

        "No problem." Joonmyun said, smiling. "I'm happy we can all be together like this."

        After he spoke he took a bite of his cake, and his gaze strayed across the room. He caught sight of Yixing having a conversation with Tao, and he suddenly thought back to the lighter incident.

        "Hey Kris..."

        The taller male hummed in response, seemingly unbothered by the sudden subject change, so Joonmyun continued slowly.

        "When you see a certain person, do you ever get the feeling that you just need to protect them? Even from the smallest of things?"

        Kris looked up and followed Joonmyun's gaze, smiling—an action that went unnoticed.

        "I know what you mean, but I'm pretty sure I'd be the one getting protected in my case, as sad as it sounds."

        Joonmyun nodded slowly at the response and stared at Yixing's smiling face. It was the face of someone that he found to be amazingly cute, yet handsome, too. Simply gorgeous.

        "What would you call this, if it needed a name?"

        "I don't know... Love?"

        Joonmyun's face shifted into a bright shade of red and he turned to look at Kris, whose cheeks were just as flushed.

        "D-Do you like Yixing?" He asked quietly, hesitantly. His heart pounded heavily with fear in the mere second before a reply came.  

        "What? No!" Kris answered, then he paused before continuing with just as much hesitance. "Don't tell me you have a crush on Tao..."

        Joonmyun shook his head quickly and they both sighed equal breaths of relief. There were a few moments of silence between them, then Kris spoke again, his lips raised into a smirk.

        "So Yixing..."

        Joonmyun bit his lip, his blush deepening. "Don't tell anyone..."

        "My lips are sealed."

        Joonmyun looked up and smiled, simply content. "If yours are, then mine are, too."

 

 

 

 

 

 


 I tried to put in a little bit of how Suho feels about Lay, and obviously Kris about Tao.  I don't think the Xiuchen was that good, though... The next chapter is going to get things moving a little bit. I'm in the process of writing it. 

   I hope you enjoyed. I love to read comments, and subs and votes are always welcomed. 😜

   Nyreen, dude, thank you! You comment on like every chapter and that makes me so happy! ;~; I can keep writing as long as people like you keep me going!!

   I hope you guys also had a nice Christmas or whatever you may celebrate, if anything. I had a wonderful Christmas, and I ordered an XOXO hat! First Kpop merch, so I hope it comes quick! :3