Chapter 14

Black Pearl

          Edited; Re-uploaded


 

 

 

          Kyungsoo's body shook from both fear and the cold. Never had he been in a position where he was running for his life, except for the time when he was being followed at the park. At least then he could see and was properly dressed.

          When Baekhyun had barged into his and Jongin's shared bedroom only minutes before, Kyungsoo almost didn't believe him when he said they had to get out immediately. They hadn’t even been given a reason, but Kyungsoo did as was said after seeing the horrified look on Baekhyun’s face. Even the best actors wouldn’t have been able to recreate his horrified expression, which quickly told him that it was the real deal.

          Jongin was quick to use his powers to get them out of the house. They hadn't even changed out of their night clothes or grabbed shoes before he whisked them away in a cloud of smoke.

          Outside, they were met with a strange blonde person who told them to run until they found a dragon. Now that, Kyungsoo almost didn't believe, but the guy seemed to know what was going on, so he obeyed.

          After a few minutes of running, Kyungsoo was surprised to see that the blonde wasn't crazy and that there was an enormous living dragon in front of him. And it was that same dragon that would later carry them through the night sky, still without a single explanation.

          So now Kyungsoo sat cold, scared, and confused, as he tried to figure out what was going on. You don't just see something as life-changing as your friends getting taken without a good reason. Not to mention there was an existing dragon that decided to make an appearance.

          So many things were happening all at once. Just an hour earlier, Kyungsoo was happily playing charades with Jongin, Kris and Tao. None of them were prepared to have to leave so suddenly, and he was sure they wanted answers, too.

          No one had spoken since they left the ground, though. Except for when they first left. A boy with mixed red, blue and orange hair had come with them—well, Kai and Chanyeol had dragged him on—and he had completely freaked out. He seemed to know Luhan, but Kyungsoo had never seen him before.

          After shaking Chanyeol to the point where Kyungsoo was getting dizzy just watching, the blonde shut the boy up by yelling at him and even slapping him.

          Everything was quiet after that. Kyungsoo thought he would have to open his mouth first, but Baekhyun spoke before he could.

          "Ren... What the hell was that?"

          "What did it look like?" The blonde retorted.

          "Is this what you were talking about? Are they our so-called enemies?" Baekhyun pushed. "I clearly remember you saying 'They're here early.' Did you know this would happen?"

          Kyungsoo waited for Ren's answer, confused as to what Baekhyun was even talking about, but the blonde turned away. Baekhyun looked like he was fuming.

          "Ren! We have no idea what's going on and we just lost two of our friends! Not to mention Joonmyun is injured! We deserve—no, need—an explanation!"

          "Calm down, Baekhyun!" Ren shouted back. "I'm just as confused as you are! I was told I'd have a few days to get you guys out, but I was told wrong! We're almost at our base, so just sit quietly until we get answers!"

          With a huff, Baekhyun crossed his arms and turned away, just as unsatisfied as the rest of them.

          Kyungsoo reached to look up over the basket they sat in, looking at the area around him. Even in the darkness, he could see mountains in the direction they were headed and wondered how long they had been in the air. It hadn't seemed like long, but they looked to be moving quickly, and he soon noticed that they were beginning to descend.

          Within what felt like a few minutes, Kyungsoo was standing on secure ground with his friends clustered around him. The stood before a pair of hidden doors at the foot of the mountain he had seen. Ren told them to go in, but they all hesitated.

          None of them knew what lay beyond those doors, but Kyungsoo had a good idea. Ren had said something about a base, so he could assume that it was inside the mountain. It sounded safe, and Ren hadn't shown any signs of wanting to harm them. Baekhyun seemed to know Ren, too, so there couldn't be anything too horrible waiting for them.

          "If you don't hurry, then your little friend there could die." Ren told them impatiently, gesturing to Joonmyun, who lay unconscious on the ground.

          Kyungsoo fixed his gaze on his older friend. He could see the hurt expression on his face, even in his state of unconscious, but he could only imagine how much pain he was actually going through.

          Taking a deep breath, Kyungsoo pushed past Chen and Xiumin to stand next to Joonmyun. He crouched down and carefully picked up the injured teen, then he went on to carry him past the doors.

          Footsteps hurried after him and he glanced back to see Baekhyun and Jongin were right on his heels. The rest followed and Ren jogged past Kyungsoo, leading them down the single gray hallway.

          Another set of doors stood at the end of the short hall and Ren didn't hesitate to push them open. Bright light shone through, blinding Kyungsoo for a moment. He blinked his eyes to get used to the brightness, his eyes still accustomed to the darkness outside.

          Once his eyes had adjusted, Kyungsoo looked around in amazement. He didn't know what to expect, but it was far bigger than he would've imagined. The tiny hallway that they were previously in opened up like the front doors to a shopping mall. The whole structure actually looked like a mall, with two floors and an open space in the middle where you could see everything no matter which floor you stood on.

          People wandered both floors, some walking in and out of the many rooms. There was a surprising amount of people up for how late it was. Spaces along the walled popped up every few meters on the second floor, leading to what Kyungsoo assumed to be more rooms. Who knew what for?

          "Ren, is that you?" Someone suddenly called out, making Kyungsoo turn to the direction it came from. A few feet away, a talk boy with pink—almost red—hair stood out. A cute smile lit up his face as he hurried over. "You're back really early. Siwon will want to see you."

          "Yeah, and I want to see him." Ren spoke through clenched teeth. "Take these guys to Youngjae. One of them is wounded."

          The pink-haired boy put his hand to his forehead in a playful salute. "Yes, Sir!"

          While Ren wandered off, the teen turned to Kyungsoo, his eyes flitting down to Joonmyun. "Follow me, please. We can fix your friend up." He said, gesturing for him to follow with his hand.

          Kyungsoo headed after the teen as he walked over to a nearby door that was labelled as the 'Tech Room'. The boy pushed the door open and walked into the large area. Immediately, Kyungsoo could see what gave the room its name. Shelves covered every wall, leaving only a small portion of the farthest wall for a glass window and another door. Each shelf was overflowing with different doodads and metal parts. Wires and tools filled other shelves. There was an area just big enough to walk through, then tables and desks. Drawers sat under the desks, which were covered in fancy computers, tools, and other random stuff. The desks were laid out on a square that surrounded a single person.

          As Kyungsoo walked in, the guy turned in his chair, a smile on his face. "Zelo! You're up late!"

          The pink-haired boy waved to the guy in the chair, who didn't look the least bit tired, unlike Kyungsoo.

          "I know, Youngjae, but it's important." Zelo glanced at Kyungsoo, then back to the guy in the chair. "Ren just brought these guys in and one is hurt."

          In a flash, the teen was in front of Kyungsoo, inspecting Joonmyun closely. He bent down slightly and looked at the injured teen’s leg before standing up and running a hand through his own dark brown hair. He adjusted the glasses he wore, then he looked up at Kyungsoo.

          "Can you bring him to the next room for me?"

          Kyungsoo nodded and did as was said, setting Joonmyun down on the single table that sat in the otherwise empty room. When he left, he saw that Youngjae had started typing on a computer. He flashed a smile at Kyungsoo as he stood from his seat.

          "Thank you. Zelo will be showing you and your friends to your rooms so you guys can get some rest. I'll be seeing you guys soon, so I'll inform you of your friend's condition once you’re rested." He said, though Kyungsoo was still a bit hesitant.

          He just met this guy, so why would he leave Joonmyun alone with him? Especially with all the other unknown people within the large mountain base. Could he really be trusted?

          Youngjae seemed to notice how hesitant he was and gave an easy smile. "Don't worry. I only want to help you."

          With a small nod, Kyungsoo reluctantly exited the room. Kai was the only one to meet him outside; the others he didn't see.

          "The guy with pink hair took them upstairs to find rooms for us." Kai explained. "I stayed back to wait for you."

          Kyungsoo's lips turned up in a tiny smile. "Thank you. I don't fancy being alone."

          "I know what you mean. Come on." Kai took hold of Kyungsoo's hand and started to pull him towards a large staircase that led to the second floor. At the top, he began leading Kyungsoo past the hallways that he had seen before, not even looking down them.

          "Do you even know where you're going?" Kyungsoo asked, trying to spot the others, but he could only see unfamiliar faces.

          "Yes, I do." Kai answered, turning as their walkway did. "It's hard to explain, but I can kind of sense their presence. Like a bunch of tiny dots in my head."

          "Well that explains a lot." Kyungsoo muttered, thinking back to the times where he failed to hide from the younger.

          "There's no escape." Kai whispered with a grin and a wink, showing that he was thinking the same things.

          Before Kyungsoo could even begin to roll his eyes, he was pulled around a corner, down one of the halls that branched off. Tao's voice drifted down from the end.

          "Only one bed!?"

          "Don't be so over dramatic, Tao. Look how big it is." Came Kris' voice.

          "I want to room with Baekhyun!" Chanyeol's voice followed loudly, with Chen's coming right after.

          "I guess that means you're with me, Min!"

          Kyungsoo glanced at Kai, holding in a laugh. Even after what happened, they were still the same, in the end.

          Walking to the end of the hall, Kyungsoo looked at the doors they passed. Each one had either one or two names on it, though six at the end were bare. Kai walked into one of the rooms with Kyungsoo right behind him. It was roughly the same size as the rooms as Kai's house, but there was only one large bed and the bathroom took up a large portion of the room. A single clock hung on the wall, showing that it was well past midnight.

          Exhaustion taking over, Kyungsoo flopped onto the large bed, face planting the left pillow. He felt his body melting into the soft bedspread and closed his eyes, more than ready to sleep.

          Kai followed more slowly, creeping onto the right side. "You don't mind sleeping in bed with me?"

          "Not at the moment." Kyungsoo answered, his voice muffled and tired. He was just about to fall asleep when he felt a hand move into his again. Slowly, he turned his head to look at Kai, who lay on his side. "What's with you and holding hands today? You never hold my hand."

          Kai didn't answer right away. "Comfort, I guess... It's all a little scary, you know?"

          Kyungsoo nodded. "I'd say. That's an understatement."

          "Are you scared?"

          "Of course. We're only teenagers." His eyes slid shut as Kai gave his hand a small squeeze.

          "Goodnight, Soo."

          "Goodnight, Jongin."

 

 

 

 

 

 

          Sehun woke to loud voices outside his room.

          "Wakey wakey, Eggyeol and Baconie!"

          "It's Baekhyun!"

          "Cheeen, it's too earlyyy!"

          "I don't care. I'm hungry."

          "Jongdae, please. Other people are trying to sleep."

          "But Miiin..."

          Groaning, Sehun walked over to his door and swung it open. The four who stood in the hallway immediately went quiet. Sehun recognized them as Luhan's friends. One was tall with brown hair and large ears. Another had auburn hair, and he remembered seeing them both when Luhan first took him to his home. The third one had honey colored hair and a curled smile. Sehun only knew Baekhyun by name. He remembered being introduced to the black-haired teen. He was the only one Luhan had introduced him to before they were separated.

          "Sorry. Did we wake you up?"

          It was the tallest that spoke. He was giving Sehun an apologetic look and he shook his head, deciding against answering truthfully. He didn't want to sleep anymore, anyways.

          Sehun was about to walk back into his room, but a voice down the hall stopped him.

          "Hey! New guys!"

          Some random guy had called down to them and he hurried over, pushing a cart in front of him. He stopped in front of Sehun and started going through the stuff piled on the cart's two shelves. After a minute or two, he handed Sehun a red t-shirt and black shorts.

          "Those are some new clothes." He told them, handing out more to the others. "I have some for your friends, too."

          Like Sehun, the others had received red shirts and black shorts, but there were other colors included in the pile for those still sleeping.

          "Is there a meaning to the shirt color?" Sehun asked, motioning to his own shirt, then to the other guy's green shirt.

          "It represents the type of powers you possess." The guy explained. "Red Shirts can physically hurt people, Green Shirts have powers that help the user, Purple Shirts involve the mind, and Blue Shirts cover pretty much everything else."

          "Why is that necessary?" Mr. Big Ears asked.

          "Well, I don’t know about you, but I wouldn't want to get my skull crushed because I messed with the wrong person. Unless you ask someone what their powers are, you can never really be prepared, but the shirts help a little."

          "So what's your power?" Baekhyun asked curiously.

          "Speed. Nothing to special." The guy shrugged, then continued. "So, since you guys asked so many questions, let me ask you what your names are. I'm Jackson."

          "Wait. How'd you give us shirts if you don't know our names and powers?" Sehun asked.

          "I got a paper that literally says 'Give a red shirt to the guy with weird hair'. I'm kind of just guessing here, but that's probably you."

          Sehun's face turned warm and he ran a hand through his colorful hair, wishing he had something to cover it with. Even though everyone at this place had some sort of ability, he still felt a little self-conscious. Why of all things and people did his hair have to change?

          "Our names are Xiumin, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Chen and Sehun." The teen with auburn hair told Jackson, pointing to each person in turn.

          "Oh, so that's your name." Chen said, smiling at Sehun.

          "I could say the same to you." He replied.

          "We'll then, Mr. Grumpypants." Chen puffed out his cheeks, seeming to have read Sehun's straight face as grumpy.

          Puffing out his cheeks like that... He's nowhere near close to being as cute as Luhan.

          "Are you all hungry?" Jackson asked, changing the subject. "I was told you haven't been to the mess hall yet."

          "Hungry? I'm starving!"

          "Jongdae, hush your mouth. You're too loud." Xiumin scolded Chen, who pouted silently.

          "I'll go wake up the others." Chanyeol volunteered, heading into Kai's room with a big grin on his face.

          "Poor, poor child. I hope he's prepared to meet Satan himself." Baekhyun murmured, barely loud enough for Sehun to hear.

          Sehun didn't understand what he meant, but there was a loud crash from inside the room and Chanyeol appeared moments later. His hair was ruffled, his eyes wide, and he wordlessly went into the room across the hall, taking another set of clothes with him.

          When Chanyeol returned, there was a large red mark on his left cheek. "I didn't know it was possible to be so physical in your sleep." He said, wincing in pain.

          Sehun's eyes were wide in shock. What kinds of friends does Luhan have?

          After a few minutes, a tall teen with dark brown hair walked out of the second room, followed by a guy with black hair and dark under-eyes. The taller one wore a green shirt and the other wore blue.

          "What's going on?" The taller one asked, his eyes heavy with sleep.

          "I'm taking you guys to get breakfast." Jackson told him, holding out his hand. "Call me Jackson."

          The tall teen slowly glanced from Jackson, then to his outstretched hand. He lazily gave Jackson a quick handshake, his other hand covering his mouth as he yawned. "Kris."

          "I'm Tao." The other told him, smiling.

          "Wait, who gave you this mark?" Sehun heard Baekhyun asking Chanyeol. "Tao doesn't even look tired, for once."

          "It was Kris." Chanyeol's voice came out as a whisper. "I didn't know he could be so...not lazy."

          "This will be a lesson for us all..." Baekhyun murmured back.

          Sehun sighed as he listened to them, turning away as he heard another door open. Two teens walked out of the first room Chanyeol had gone in, both with darker brown hair. One was a few inches taller than the other, who had large eyes that were sending a death glare in Chanyeol's direction. They both wore green shirts with their black shorts, though, like Sehun, they didn't have shoes. Jackson seemed to notice this, too.

          "Actually, before we eat I can get you all some shoes and whatnot."

          "But I'm hungry!" Chen complained loudly, arms curling around his torso. "I think my stomach's caving in!"

          "Don't over exaggerate, Jongdae. We'll eat afterwards." Xiumin said, turning to smile at Jackson. "New shoes sound wonderful."

 

 

 

          Sehun tugged his new hat further onto his head as he followed Jackson and the others around the inner mountain base. He had taken a black beanie along with the pair of black shoes that Jackson had given him. It had been sitting on display in the same room, just asking to get taken, and Jackson didn't seem to mind.

          Now they were heading down the hall away from the doorway they had first entered through. They were walking along the path opposite the side their rooms were on, and soon the path opened up into one large room.

          Tables filled the room, some pushed together in little clusters, others sitting alone. Each table had a set number of chairs, though some had too many or too little.

          On the far wall, there was a long window that opened up into what seemed to be a kitchen. Jackson guided them to the window, where a boy just as tall as Sehun was washing dishes. He looked up when they stood before him, flipping red-ish hair away from his eyes. Jackson's face lit up with a smile.

          "Mark! I didn't know you were on kitchen duty!"

          "Are you saying that you didn't notice me earlier?" Mark pouted at Jackson cutely. "I've been here all morning." He removed the gloves he wore and leaned over the counter. "Anyways, what can I do for you?"

          "I came to show the new guys where to get meals." Jackson said, glancing at Sehun and the others as he also leaned on the counter in front of Mark. "Will you whip something up for them?"

          "Breakfast ended almost ten minutes ago." Mark told him, but it was Jackson's turn to pout and he gave him ridiculous puppy eyes. "Well...fine. Just for you."

          Jackson beamed and placed a quick kiss on Mark's lips. "Thank you!"

          Sehun almost puked at the sight. His heart hurt as he was reminded of Luhan and he turned away from the obvious couple. Who knew if he'd ever be able to share such loving moments with someone again.

          No. I will find Luhan. He has to be okay.

          The clinking of plates brought Sehun's attention back to the others. Mark was setting out plates on the metal counter, each filled with pancakes, eggs, and bacon.

          "These were left over, but they're still fresh and warm." Mark told them with a smile. "I'll bring out some drinks for you."

          Chen and Chanyeol were quick to grab a plate and sit down at a random table. Tao followed right behind them, while the others moved more slowly. They all sat at the same set of tables, but Sehun excluded himself to a table a few feet away.

          He could hear Chanyeol's deep, cheerful voice behind him as he went on about how good the food tasted, but just the thought of food made Sehun feel sick. Next to sleeping, eating was the last thing he wanted to do.

          How can he even be happy in this situation? We're surrounded by unknown people and places, and we still have no idea why. And he can't possibly be okay with the fact that we have no knowledge of Luhan's whereabouts and condition!

          "You know, you should eat your food instead of destroying it." A voice said, pulling Sehun out of his thoughts.

          He hadn't realized it, but he had stabbed his pancakes to the point where it looked like stuffing with chunks scattered across the table and floor. Sehun looked at the guy seated across from him, trying to think of his name.

          "I'm Kai. I've never seen you before now. Are you a friend of Luhan?"

          "Boyfriend." Sehun corrected painfully.

          "Oh... I see..." Kai then seemed at a loss for words, and Sehun glared at him slightly.

          "What do you want?"

          "I'm just trying to be friendly since no one else will. All I've seen you do is glare at everything and everyone here. Plus, my friend got a little worried when he saw you stabbing your food to death." Kai leaned forward on the table. "Are you upset because Luhan is gone?"

          "Why wouldn't I be?" Sehun held his fork tightly in his hand. "How am I supposed to be happy when Luhan is in danger?"

          "You don't have to worry about that. Luhan is alive."

          "What do you mean? How do you know?" He asked.

          "You probably don't know, but I have teleportation abilities." Kai started. "I can feel a person's presence and that’s kind of how I know where to teleport. Wouldn’t want to pop through another person's body, you know? Anyways, I can feel Luhan, but only just barely. He's probably far away, but he's alive."

          Sehun felt as though a small portion of his pain was lifted. He's alive...

          Suddenly, he realized just how hungry he was and began shoving his breakfast into his mouth as fast as he could.

          "Slow down! You don't have to inhale it all!"

          Sehun ignored Kai, chomping down on a slice of bacon. Luhan is alive and I'm going to find him!