Chapter 15

Black Pearl

Edited; Re-uploaded


 

 

 

          Joonmyun opened his eyes to see unfamiliar surroundings. His memory was hazy and the last thing he remembered was getting ready for bed with Yixing, but he wasn't in their bedroom anymore. He was lying on a surprisingly warm metal table, surrounded completely by white walls. A glass window was on the wall to his right, but the lights in his room were too bright so he could only see his reflection. His very ugly reflection.

          Joonmyun was a mess. He was covered in dried up mud from head to toe, and he had a few bandages on him, too. His body felt weak, his left leg numb, and his mouth was unbelievably dry.

          "Water..." He croaked, heaving himself up into a sitting position.

          As soon as he had opened his mouth, a door to the left of the window opened and a boy hurried in. Joonmyun didn't recognize him, but he accepted the cup he was given with a shaky hand. He could've easily used his powers to have a drink, but he had no clue where he was, so he didn't dare.

          After draining the water from the cup, he felt a little more awake. He looked at the boy next to him, who hadn't stopped staring at him.

          "Are you feeling any pain?"

          Joonmyun shook his head, a little confused. What happened?

          "That's good." The teen continued. "You and your friends arrived just in time. That bullet in your leg had some pretty deadly poison in it, but I was able to get it out of your system. You should be fine now."

          Joonmyun held his head as a wave of dizziness swept over him. Bullet? Poison? He was about to question the other teen, but memories from the night came rushing back to him. He recalled the struggle through the forest, the bullet to his leg, and lastly, the loss of Yixing and Luhan.

          "My friends..." He whispered, holding his finger against his eye to halt the tears that were rising fast. "I need to see them..."

          "You're still weak. You should rest."

          "I need to see them." Joonmyun repeated, giving the teen a hard stare. After a few moments, the boy nodded.

          "Fine. They're probably eating, so I'll take you to them."

          The teen headed back through the single door as Joonmyun stepped down off of the table. His legs felt wobbly and there was a dull pain in his left leg, but he was able to walk with a barely noticeable limp.

          He hurried after the other teen, who had passed through the next room and stood with another door held open. Joonmyun made his way over, making sure he didn't step on the many objects that littered the floor.

          Once outside, he was guided to a set of escalators and they rode up to the second floor of the insanely huge building.

          Is this some kind of weird shopping mall?

          Joonmyun stared around in amazement as he was led through the building, oblivious to the weird looks others were giving him. After a few minutes, a large room came into view and he recognized the several faces inside. He quickened his pace, his limp now gone, and Kyungsoo was the first to notice him.

          "Youngjae! You brought Joonmyun!"

          "I told you not to worry." The boy at Joonmyun's side said. "He's all good now."

          Chanyeol was the first to pull Joonmyun into a big hug and the others crowded around him—minus Sehun. They all spoke to him at once, but he didn't respond, his attention lying elsewhere.

          "Where's Yixing?"

          Their voices cut off abruptly, and Chanyeol was the one to break the growing silence.

          "Lay and Luhan...aren't here with us..."

          "You do remember, right?" Xiumin then asked, and Joonmyun nodded, falling down onto a chair at his side.

          "I just wanted to make sure..." He hated the way the words sounded coming out of his mouth, and a hand rested on his shoulder. He turned slightly and was surprised to see that it was Sehun.

          "We'll get them back."

          "Did you lose a few friends?" Youngjae asked them, and Joonmyun nodded.

          "Two."

          "Does Siwon know?"

          Joonmyun looked around at the others, who shrugged. None of them looked like they knew who Siwon was, and Youngjae ran a hand through his right-parted hair.

          "You should all follow me, then."

          Without bothering to ask why, all ten of them trailed after Youngjae as he sped off out of the mess hall. He seemed to be in a slight hurry, making sudden turns down halls without warning. He eventually stopped in front of a large set of doors and knocked loudly on the wood. Two voices on the others side stopped in the middle of what they were saying, and one allowed them to enter.

          Youngjae was quick to push open the doors and bring them inside. Joonmyun recognized the blonde that turned to look at them, but not the taller male that she spoke with.

          "Youngjae, is this important?"

          "Very."

          "Well hold on. Ren just told me he let two of our own go."

          "I didn't let them go, so don't phrase it like I did!" the blonde said in an anger-filled voice.

          Wait, he? That's a boy!?

          "That's what I came to tell you. I brought the remaining." Youngjae spoke.

          "You in the front. Tell me which of your friends aren't here."

          A hand hit Joonmyun on the back and he realized that he was the one spoken to. "Luhan and Lay—er, Yixing." He quickly answered.

          The tall male—probably Siwon—put a hand to his chin as if he was thinking, then he jerked his head up, eyes wide.

          "This changes things." He said, beginning to pace around the room. "They're the telekinetic and the healer, if I'm not mistaken." He stopped to look at Joonmyun, then his pacing resumed as he nodded. "They are the two strongest of your team and a huge part of my plan. This really changes things."

          Joonmyun didn't understand anything that was going on. Who is this guy and why is he calling us a team? And what is this plan that he's talking about?

          Joonmyun probably would have asked one of his questions aloud, but Siwon pointed to something behind him.

          "Yifan, did you get your powers properly?"

          All eyes turned to look at Kris, whose eyes were wider than Kyungsoo's. Joonmyun could hear Tao asking how he knew their names, and someone else asked what he was talking about.

          Siwon was just staring expectantly at Kris. "Well? Did your powers return?"

          Return?

          "Excuse me, but what are you talking about?" Xiumin asked, speaking out for all of them.

          Siwon sighed. "When you die, someone else will get your powers, kind of like a cycle. Yifan's powers have always been a little complicated, and it's usually not that common, but we've learned how to deal with it when it does appear. He seems to not have told you, but his powers have probably stopped for a period of time." His attention fixed back onto Kris, and the tall teen rubbed the back of his neck as he stepped forward.

          "It's been almost a month...but they aren't back..." He confessed, earning gasps from the others.

          Joonmyun honestly would have never known, and all of this information wasstarting to give him a headache

          "Well then, Mr. Wu. You'll have to come with me." Siwon turned and began going through papers in a filing cabinet. The room they were in seemed to be his office of sorts, and he eventually pulled out a large stack of folders.

          "Youngjae, take them to get their membership passes." He ordered. "After that, you can all go get cleaned up. You look horrible."

          Siwon carried the stack of folders out the door, muttering 'Dear Lord' under his breath as he passed with Kris trailing after him. Ren wasted no time in exiting the room, and that left Joonmyun and the others to follow Youngjae all the way back to the room that Joonmyun first woke in.

          Joonmyun's leg was starting to hurt again from all of the walking, but he didn't say anything to avoid pushing worry on the others. Youngjae was busily searching for something among the messiness of the room, and he let out a loud 'Aha!' when he lifted up a box. He opened it and set its contents out on a table, revealing an assortment of necklaces, bracelets, watches, and even a set of earrings.

          Joonmyun held up one of the bracelets and noticed a small piece dangling from the silver chain. There was a maze of black lines on the hexagon piece, with a small black circle at the center. Each accessory had this similar detail, and Joonmyun held it up to Youngjae.

          "What does this mean?"

          "It's the symbol of our home." He explained, pointing to the earring he wore in one ear. "If someone is wearing it, then it's proof that you're allies, so I wouldn't trust anyone without it."

          "But how do you know that you can trust us?" Kai asked, placing a watch on his wrist.

          "Siwon sees things that we can't, and he trusts you. I trust what he trusts."

          "Is he your leader?" Chen questioned as Xiumin put a necklace around his neck.

          Youngjae nodded. "Now he's yours, too. I've personally known him for a long time and he's hella rich, which is why we have such nice place to stay in. And not to brag or anything, but I'm the mastermind behind this whole structure."

          "So what, are you super smart or something?" Baekhyun asked, to which Youngjae sent him a thumbs up.

          "Bingo!"

          The question and answer session was brought to a close as the ten teens chose out an accessory each. Along with Joonmyun, Baekhyun and Xiumin wore bracelets. Kyungsoo, Chanyeol and Chen wore necklaces, Kai and Sehun wore watches, and finally, Tao claimed the earrings.

          Youngjae ushered them out of his room, a wide grin on his face just before he closed his door.

          "Welcome to OTP."

 

 

 

 

 

 

          "OTP? What kind of name is that?" Baekhyun asked aloud as he walked with Chanyeol into their new room. "What does it even stand for?"

          "Is that really all that you have to complain about?"

          Baekhyun turned to look at Chanyeol in slight shock. The usually cheerful teen was slumped on their bed, his smile gone. He had seemed fine earlier, but now that he was frowning, he looked to be in a lot of pain.

          Baekhyun made his way over to him and sat down at his side. "Chanyeol... Are you okay? You aren't hurt, are you?"

          The giant shook his head, but his eyebrows were furrowed with worry. "Aren't you worried about Lay and Luhan?"

          "Of course I am, but what good can I do in getting them back?"

          "But what about Siwon?" Chanyeol asked. "He's running this huge place, so he should be able to do something." His fingers curled in a fist and Baekhyun could feel heat radiating off of his body. "We told him about Luhan and Lay, but he didn't even say anything about getting them back..."

          "Chanyeol, calm down." Baekhyun put a hand over his hot fist and linked their arms in hopes of calming him. "They can take care of themselves."

          "Luhan, maybe, but not Lay." Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun with glossy, brown eyes. "Yixing doesn't fight, Baek. What if someone tries to hurt him?"

          "Luhan will fight for both of them." Baekhyun assured, throat tightening as Chanyeol’s act weakened. "Besides, Lay can heal them both if they get injured."

          "But—"

          "No more buts." Baekhyun interrupted, squeezing Chanyeol's hand as he felt his own eyes tear up. "Please..."

          The sight of Chanyeol on the verge of tears was rubbing off on Baekhyun and he quickly stood up, wiping his eyes. "I think I'm gonna go check out the bathroom. I could use a nice shower."

          Baekhyun walked off into the bathroom, glancing at the surprisingly well-stocked room. A nice, large tub sat in the far end with a toilet to the left. Along the same left wall, there was a long countertop with two sinks and an equally long mirror. A long, but short cabinet sat opposite the mirror, filled partially with pure white towels. A few shelves covered the wall above the cabinet, filled with hairsprays, gels, and other bathroom necessities.

          Baekhyun didn't think most of it was needed, but he could assume that Siwon spoiled them when it came to looking good and he wasn't going to complain.

          Opening the second half of the cabinets, he found a few sets of clothes, which were strangely the perfect size for him and Chanyeol. He took out a new pair for himself and a towel, then he turned and practically screamed when he saw his reflection in the mirror.

          Chanyeol ran in, obviously not caring that Baekhyun could've been . "What's wrong!?"

          Baekhyun pointed at the mirror. "Have I looked like this all day!?"

          Chanyeol sighed and ran a hand through his own ruffled hair. "Is that it?"

          "Is that it?" Baekhyun echoed. "Everyone who's seen me today probably thinks I'm some weenie that doesn't care about personal hygiene! I barely recognize myself, I'm so filthy!"

          "Since you're so dirty now, they probably won't recognize you when you make yourself pretty, so go take that shower." Chanyeol told him. "I want to take one, too, then we can go explore."

          "Okay. I'll make it quick."

          "I hope you know that thirty minutes isn't quick."

          "It is for me."

          Baekhyun watched Chanyeol shake his head, his playful smile back on his face. "Alright, Your Majesty. Take your time prettying yourself up."

          "Oh, I will."

          With another shake of his head, Chanyeol left the room, the door clicking softly behind him. Baekhyun smiled to himself as finished getting ready for his shower.

          We were talking about bathrooms the first time he referred to me as 'Your Majesty'...

 

 

 

 

 

 

          "Is Siwon going to get Luhan?"

          "How should I know?"

          "Youngjae, tell me."

          "Why does it matter so much, Sehun?"

          "Because I love Luhan."

          Youngjae stopped what he was doing and stared at Sehun, who stared right back. After a few moments, he took a long, deep breath, setting down the screwdriver he held.

          "No... Siwon won't do anything."

          "What!? But he has to!" Sehun exclaimed.

          Youngjae shook his head. "It can be dangerous. He won't risk any lives if it's possible."

          "So he's just going to let Luhan and his friend die?"

          "We don't know exactly what happens to anyone who falls into enemy hands. Besides, two lives are better than three or more."

          Sehun couldn't contain his anger and he grabbed Youngjae by the front of his green shirt, pulling him in close.

          "Do you know what it's like to have your boyfriend taken from you right after you're actually together? Do you know how much it hurts?"

          Pain flashed across Youngjae's face as he pulled out of Sehun's grasp.

          "Yes, in fact, I do. Almost everyone here has had a friend taken, some more than others." He paused, his voice quieter as he spoke next. "Zelo and I lost the rest of our group... Who knows if they're even alive..."

          Youngjae's voice trailed off and Sehun suddenly felt guilty for getting angry at him. He stepped back, his hands falling down to his sides.

          "I'm sorry..."

          "It's been months since I've last seen them... And poor Zelo is the youngest here..." Youngjae removed his glasses, his other hand moving up to cover his eyes. He took another deep breath after a while and placed his glasses back on, turning to face Sehun with a determined stare.

          "I'll help you, but you can't all come." He said, putting his hand to his chin as he thought. "You and Kai should be enough."

          "Joonmyun, too." Sehun added, knowing that he’d want to go if their worry was equal.

          Youngjae was nodding. "Yes. You should be able to leave tonight. I just need to go speak with someone."

          "I'll go tell the others."

          "Don't let Siwon find out. He'll be furious." Youngjae sat down on his wheeled chair and began typing on one of his fancy computers. "I'll let you know as soon as we're ready to leave."

          Sehun watched Youngjae's fingers move across the keyboard at an abnormally fast speed, his eyes now glued to the bright computer screen.

          "Thank you."

 

 

 

 

 

 

          "So, do you know what your power is?" Siwon stood with his arms crossed in front of Kris, gazing at him expectantly.

          "Uh, fire?"

          "No, that's Chanyeol's."

          "How is it that you know our names again?"

          "Answer my question first."

          Kris groaned. "I don't know. I was able to use fire before."

          "That was just temporary, caused by a sudden burst of energy within yourself." Siwon explained easily, as though he already knew this would happen. "Your real power is totally different."

          Kris heaved a sigh, struggling to control his frustration. "Since you obviously know so much about me, why don't you just tell me what I can do?" He asked.

          "Teenagers these days..." Siwon murmured, shaking his head. "I never spoke to an adult like this."

          "Adult? I bet you're barely a year older than me."

          "I'll take that as a compliment for looking young, but I am in fact three years older than you." Siwon stated matter-of-factly. "If you won't take the time to figure it out yourself, then I'll just tell you that you have the ability to fly."

          Kris' mouth dropped open in disbelief. "You're serious? My power is flight?"

          "Yes. It's an ability that people most commonly wish to have."

          "But that's so...lame."

          "Well that's too bad." Siwon said. "You're stuck with it, so why don't you just try it?"

          "This isn't fair. I thought I hadfire powers and worked really hard to use them, but now my power is flight?"

          "Your power has always been flight." Siwon corrected. "Now I don't care if it's lame. Fly."

          "This is so not my style..." Kris grumbled as he took a few steps away from Siwon, looking at the room around him.

          Flying sounded ridiculous to him, but if it was true, then he didn't want to end up crashing into anything. Luckily for him, the room was made of a cushiony material. It almost seemed as if it was made just for him, but that would be plain weird.

          Seeing that Kris was going to try to use his powers, Siwon took a seat on the floor against the far wall, opening one of the folders that he brought in. Kris did his best to ignore him as he took a deep breath and closed his eyes. He thought back to when he first learned how to summon flames with Chanyeol and decided on trying the same process again.

          Kris filled his mind with thought of balloons, birds and airplanes. He imagined his own feet hovering above the ground and the weightlessness of flight. He could feel the energy bouncing within his body and imagined the streams of power flowing to his feet, lifting him from the Earth's surface.

          Kris was so focused on trying to use his flying ability that he wasn't prepared for his body to suddenly get knocked off balance. His eyes shot open just as his head met the floor and he couldn't help but curse loudly at the strong impact. He turned from his back to his side, holding his injured skull lightly.

          "What happened?" He groaned, wincing as he felt a large bump on the back of his head.

          "Looked to me like you managed to get your feet off the ground, but you didn't add the same effect to the rest of your body." Siwon replied, writing something inside the folder he held. "It was a good first try, though. You're catching on quickly. Try again, if you will."

          Kris nodded, but this time he decided to start on his back. He closed his eyes and went through his imaginative process once more, managing to lift his feet from the floor. The rest of his body still lay awkwardly on the ground and he was quick to try to fix it. As he worked, Siwon decided to start speaking.

          "You know, emotions have a very strong effect on our powers. They are usually the cause of our powers waking in the first place."

          "What are you trying to say?" Kris asked, trying not to let the conversation throw off his concentration.

          "I'm wondering what emotion unlocked your powers in the middle of a busy city." Siwon replied. "It wasn't exactly a convenient place to come across your hidden ability for the first time."

          "First time?" Kris echoed. "That was the second."

          "Second? When was the first?" Siwon sounded genuinely shocked to hear this information.

          Kris stopped what he was doing and sat up to look at Siwon, his feet dropping to the floor.

          "It first happened...about a month before, if I remember right." Kris thought about it for a moment, then he nodded. "Yeah."

          A look of confusion came across Siwon's face and he frowned, crossing his arms. "That's unusual, even for you. You should be perfectly capable of flying by now if that's the case, but I had to tell you what your powers are myself..."

          Siwon went quiet for a while and Kris didn't interrupt his thinking. He didn't really understand what was unusual, but Siwon was clearly more experienced, so something must've been wrong. Eventually, Siwon spoke again.

          "What was it that you were feeling at those times?"

          Kris shrugged in response. "I guess I was kind of stressed... My parents are in China and its hard being in this country without them. I had to work hard at the time to finish schoolwork and work for money to pay rent. They can only send me so much, you know?" The corner of his mouth turned up in a slight smile. "I guess I won't have to worry about rent for a while."

          Siwon gazed at Kris for another long moment, then he got to his feet, the large stack of folders in hand. "Go rest." He ordered. "Keep doing this every day, but don't overwork yourself. I want to see you flying as strong as a dragon the next time I check up on you."

          "Why a dragon?" Kris asked curiously, turning to watch him as he crossed the room.

          A smiled made its way onto Siwon's face. "Don't you think dragons are a little more badass compared to mere birdies?"

          Kris let out a deep laugh. "True. I like the idea of dragons."

          "I knew you would. Now go see your friends. I'm sure at least one of them thinks I'm currently slaughtering you."

          Kris laughed again as he stood up to leave. "That would be Tao."

          As Kris walked out the room, he heard Siwon calling out to him. "Feel free to use any of the facilities here! And lunch starts at noon!"

          "I'll make sure to tell the others!" Kris yelled back, a wide smile on his face.

          He made the decision to trust Siwon at that time. He cared for them and he'd do anything to help them, it seemed. He was like a big brother, or he at least came off that way.