Chapter 37

Black Pearl

Edited; Re-uploaded


 

 

 

 

 

                Loud knocking woke Kyungsoo from his slumber, and he pried open his eyes with much reluctance in response to the sound. He craned his neck to look over his shoulder at the person standing in the doorway, and wasn’t surprised to see that it was Sungmin. The dark expression on the man’s face said everything, and Kyungsoo heaved a sigh as he rested his head back down, listening as the door clicked shut again.

                Forehead against the back of Kai’s neck, Kyungsoo pulled the boy closer with the arms that had stayed wrapped around him during their sleep. Their legs lay tangled together, heat swarming blissfully underneath the blankets, and it was a moment that Kyungsoo just didn’t want to let pass.

                However, the time had finally come for them to fulfill what has been spoken of as their “destiny” time and time again. There was no room in the day to lie around, so Kyungsoo heaved himself up into a sitting position, causing  Kai to wake as he did so.

                “Soo…?” The sleepy boy murmured his name with a deep, rough voice. His speech was thick with sleep, and Kyungsoo’s heart constricted at the mere sound of it.

                “It’s time to wake up, Jongin.” Kyungsoo said  quietly, using a gentle hand to push back the waves of hair that flopped over the young teen’s forehead. Kai’s eyes opened to meet his, and then his hand rose slowly to cradle Kyungsoo’s cheek. Unable to hold back a small smile, Kyungsoo closed his eyes and leaned into the caring touch, only to have that same hand guide him down by the neck until Jongin’s soft lips captured his.

                Unlike previous times, Kyungsoo foresaw the action, and he eagerly reciprocated the other’s movements. With an elbow against the mattress for support, Kyungsoo pressed his lips roughly into Kai’s, using his other hand to run through the younger teen’s hair. The hand still around Kyungsoo’s neck tightened the slightest bit, though not enough to bring pain, in response to Kyungsoo’s attack. He could hardly control his sudden swell of emotions, and it took a bit of strength to break away—which was only after he realized that they were both completely out of breath.

                “I… I’m sorry.” Kyungsoo panted, face warm. “I didn’t mean to go that long…”

                But Jongin only grinned—a stupid, dorky grin which clearly showed that he was still half-asleep. “It’s ‘kay, Soo. I love you…”

                Rolling his eyes, but still smiling despite the circumstances, Kyungsoo left the boy in bed to get to his feet. He could hear the others walking around outside their doorway, all heavy footsteps and exhausted yawns, so Kyungsoo worked quickly to find them some clothes to wear. But when he got to their shared dresser, the older teen caught sight of two matching outfits that were already prepared. He hadn’t remembered them being there the night before, but just by looking at the material, Kyungsoo could tell that it was something that the others had prepared.

                As Kyungsoo began to change into the completely black set of clothes, Kai dragged himself out of bed and joined him. A long sleeve, flexible jeans, a jacket, and even black socks made up the outfit, and when both boys were dressed, they headed downstairs to join their friends.

                It was calm inside the house. There were no extra sounds other than the shuffling of feet and an occasional cough. No one spoke. Not until Sungmin did, anyway. When they were all gathered at the dining room table with breakfast laid out before them, that’s when Sungmin decided to begin his briefing.

                “I’m sure you are all very anxious to figure out what we will be taking part in today.” The man began slowly, almost unsure of how he should begin. “I can’t say exactly what will occur, but I will warn you now: There will be fighting, and it’ll be much worse than what you’ve faced so far. With Joon in enemy hands, they’ll be able to look into his mind and find the answers they seek. They’ve probably already done so.”

                Sungmin paused, wincing slightly at his last words before he went on.

                “As we mentioned last night, our side needs to reach the Tree before the ENTs do. However, the base is in the opposite direction, which means we are the closest to it, and so we’ll have to be the ones to find it first. We’ve already called Siwon to inform him of the situation, and they’re all heading over to serve as much needed reinforcements as we speak.”

                “What happened to that no cell-phones rule?” Luhan spoke up to ask. “Wasn’t the whole point so that we couldn’t be tracked by our enemies?”

                “You’re right.” Sungmin said with a nod. “But Joon is captured, which means they don’t need the rest of us, anymore. They already know we’re here, but we’ll be moving out soon, anyway, so it doesn’t matter. Either way, they’ll only bother us if we get in their way from now on.”

                “Which is exactly what you plan to do.” Sehun stated, irritation plain in his voice. He had his arms crossed over his chest, eyebrows furrowed down with disapproval. You could say he was the current representative of the teenage group.

                “It’s the only thing we can do, unless you’d like this entire planet to be taken over.” Sungmin asserted sternly, mirroring Sehun’s expression. “You don’t know the extent of the Tree’s power, and you won’t until you see her for yourself. We are nothing without—“

                “Her?” Kris suddenly piped up, leaning forward in his seat. “You refer to this tree as a woman?”

                Abruptly, Sungmin’s face became completely blank. All of his features relaxed, and for a moment it looked like he couldn’t really see any of them. The change was so sudden that it had Kyungsoo blinking to make sure he wasn’t imagining it, but it was clear that no more answers would follow up.

                “We don’t have time to ask questions. Eat your food and then we’ll leave.”

                The group heaved a joint sigh at being rejected once more, especially since they were so close to getting some answers. Few of them actually ate, in return. Several of the boys, Kyungsoo included, couldn’t find an appetite and just stared down at the table. Youngjae came in and spoke with Sungmin about one thing or another, but Kyungsoo didn’t listen like he probably should have. His thoughts were more focused on the hand that he held underneath the table, and how much he didn’t want to ever let go.                                       

                After a few minutes of talking quietly together, Sungmin and Youngjae claimed they needed to go finish some last-minute preparations, and that they would be leaving within the next twenty minutes. The group was then left to gather what minimal valuables they had brought, which mainly included the weaponry Sungmin had equipped them with. 

                In his and Kai’s bedroom, Kyungsoo stood before their dresser once more. On top of the wood storage unit lay the sheathed knives that he was given, along with the holsters that bound them to his waist. Kyungsoo made quick work of fastening the material around his body, and once he was done, he did a practice run of unsheathing each of his two knives. He did a final check, using several different techniques to get a feel for which one was the most comfortable. Although, in the end, it would all come down to the situation and accompanying positon that he would face.

                With a sigh, Kyungsoo gave a concluding twirl of his close combat knife and sheathed it. He then took his personalized gloves from his pocket and placed them on his hands, staring down at the material as he clenched and unclenched his fists. His stomach was doing the same.

                The pain that had formed in Kyungsoo’s gut was immediate as soon as he’d seen Jongin arrive home the night before, and it had only gotten worse. It was only really beginning to hit him then that they would be fighting a real battle. No more training, no more calling out mercy. It would be kill or be killed by the sound of it, but Kyungsoo wasn’t sure he was ready.

                Underneath the skin, deep at his core, Kyungsoo could feel the constant nagging of the Beast. It wanted out, but it didn’t beg. The Beast had its own pride, which meant it would use force of violence rather than words in order to escape. And seeing as they were one, the Beast was completely ready to use Kyungsoo’s anxiety to its own advantage at any given moment. Kyungsoo couldn’t let his guard down.

                A soft click sounded behind Kyungsoo, and he turned around to see Kai standing in front of the closed door, his hand still grasping the handle. A small smile graced his lips, and he strode forward to Kyungsoo’s side.

                “You’ve become pretty handy with that knife.” The boy observed.

                Kyungsoo only shrugged, running his fingers across the sheathed blades. “We all had our separate weapon training. I’m assuming you’re all set to use that gun?”

                Kyungsoo’s words were rhetorical, for he already knew that Kai wasn’t ready. The boy’s reaction was proof enough, even if Kyungsoo hadn’t already known what a softie he was. Kai was always known to act cocky, though his habits had greatly decreased over the months. He was scared, just as all the rest of them were. It was nothing new.

                When Jongin turned away to avoid his gaze, Kyungsoo stepped forward with the boy’s gun holsters in hand. He applied the straps around the younger’s waist, looking up into his eyes as he gave a final tug to make sure they were secure.

                “You’ll do fine, Jongin. We’re all in the same boat here. Not one of us has more skill than the others, and there is no one here that isn’t scared. We’re one, remember?”

                Despite himself, Jongin smiled, and it made Kyungsoo do the same. Kris may have rambled off those words without thought, all those days ago, but they gave strength. The phrase became more than just words without them even realizing it, and it gave Kyungsoo a stronger sense of hope when he said them. Their dim future just became a bit brighter.

                Checking to make sure they had everything that they needed, the boys took one last look at their room before they headed out. Sehun was in the hallway when they exited the room, his hair a stark red color that shocked Kyungsoo when he first saw it. That is, until he remembered the fact that Sehun had such strange hair that could shift colors. He had nearly forgotten, seeing as the youngest teen had it covered all the time. That, and Kyungsoo had better things to ponder over. Luhan was probably the only one with a daily reminder of Sehun’s unique feature.

                Speaking of Luhan, he was nowhere to be seen. He and Sehun were practically attached at the hip, like most of the other couples that occupied the house, so it was odd to see them separated. But by the semi-relaxed way that Sehun leaned against the opposite wall, it was clear that the older teen wasn’t missing, or worse. Sehun looked as irritated as always, though, and it was just barely suppressed when Luhan made his appearance from down the hall.

                The older teen greeted them with a small smile, though it was clearly forced. Every expression other than a frown had been forced in the past few days, by every member, and Luhan was no exception. The entire house had been tense with anxiety since the night before, and it was no better when the four teens went downstairs together.

                Once again, a majority of the group could be found in the dining room, gathered around the large table. The remainders of breakfast had been cleaned up, and in its place was a collection of black electronic devices. It was hard to tell what they were from a distance, but as they drew closer, Kyungsoo recognized them as ear pieces. Youngjae was helping to place one in Suho’s ear as they walked over, and it seemed as though he was the first in line among the members, who stood waiting behind him.           

                “What is all this?” Kyungsoo worded as they came to a stop before the others. His eyes scanned over their leader’s face, and then to Youngjae. Both now wore the earpieces, and Youngjae beckoned over the next member in line.

                “Communication measures.” Was the young teen’s short answer, providing only a basic explanation as his attention was fixed on swiftly equipping everyone with the devices. It wasn’t long at all before even Kyungsoo had Youngjae fiddling with his ear, and then the smart teen pressed his finger onto the device in his own ear.

                “Testing. You guys good? Do you hear me alright?”

                Youngjae spoke in a general tone, with his same words echoing into each of their ears a millisecond later, overlapping in the oddest of ways. Kyungsoo flinched back a bit at the sudden sound, and with the others’ reactions being quite similar, Youngjae nodded and took the answer as a yes.

                “We’re movin’ out.” The boy continued into the earpiece, twirling his finger beside his head in a gesture to get ready. The words made Kyungsoo’s heart lurch all of a sudden, and anxiety pierced his insides. The time had finally come.

                Kyungsoo wasn’t the only one with this realization, and as the twelve boys filed out of the house, unease prickled throughout the air around them. They couldn’t even manage to say anything, and the weather outside was incredibly ironic when they stepped outdoors. They were about to face the battle of their lives, yet the sun continued to shine and birds sang happily without a care. A soft wind blew, and the surrounding trees let off rustling sounds that would’ve been calming to anyone else.

                Kyungsoo paused to close his eyes and breathe in the scent of the surrounding area. The fresh air filled his insides, but it didn’t bring anything more than oxygen to his brain. He was still tense with unease, and not even the bright, gentle surroundings could change that.

                Kyungsoo’s small moment only lasted a mere few seconds, and then he continued to follow the others across the front lawn. On the edge of the street in front of the house, two vans sat with doors wide open, and the others were already beginning to make their way inside.

                Kai sat in the first van, waving to Kyungsoo from one of the two center seats, and the older teen hurried over to snag the last open spot in the van. With Kai at his side, Kyungsoo looked around to see Lay, Chen, and Xiumin in the very back, with Suho in the passenger seat. The leader of the group was the first to bring up a conversation, though it was more of an argument stating that it was safer for the others to sit in the back seats. He would’ve been next to Lay if it weren’t for his selfless, caring heart, and for a moment, Suho’s kindness lifted Kyungsoo’s mood.        

                Sungmin was the one to enter the car through the driver’s door, and the older man sat at the wheel with a look back using the rear-view mirror. He used a hand to shift the mirror, and then he buckled his seatbelt before putting the vehicle into drive. The instructor didn’t say anything at first, until Youngjae’s voice sounded in Kyungsoo’s ear.

                “Final communication test to Ride 1. Do you copy?”

                “I’m good.” Sungmin answered, one finger placed at his ear. The rest of the van went on to echo his words, and then Sungmin held the slightest bit of humor to his voice as he continued in their stead. “If Ride 2 is all set then get your hands on the wheel. We’ve got a long drive ahead of us.”

                “Roger that.” Came Youngjae’s easy response, and then silence.

                It turned out that Sungmin was right, though it wasn’t like Kyungsoo had any reason to believe otherwise. They had left a few hours before noon, and they were in the middle of nowhere when the car’s clock hit 3:45 p.m. Through the entire drive past run-down suburbs and villages, with an occasional city in the distance, Kyungsoo sat with nerves on end. He just couldn’t settle down, and his fingers and toes tapped anxiously against the car’s interior. He grew more and more restless with every moment that passed by, and he was so distracted by the thoughts swirling in his head that he didn’t even know what was going on in reality until Sungmin let out a loud “Oh !” from seemingly nowhere.

                Whipping his head around with eyes wide, Kyungsoo was just barely able to catch sight of a dark blob in front of the car before the vehicle was sent flying through the air. Sungmin had made a move to swerve from whatever had been in their path, but the action was useless, and a deafening crash sounded in Kyungsoo’s ears prior to the car flipping over.

                With muted ears, Kyungsoo clung onto the seat beneath him for dear life, deaf to the screams of his companions as the roof crumpled on the first impact against pavement. The car rolled, but Kyungsoo was too dizzy to count just how many times. He felt the pressure of the door on his right side, pinching painfully against his body, when the world finally stopped spinning.

                When Kyungsoo managed to gradually clear his head, he was then able to hear the other’s horrified commotion, now excruciatingly loud in his right ear.

                “Holy ing !”

                “Is everyone okay!?”

                “What the hell happened!?”

                “Sungmin! Sungmin! Do you copy!?”

                “Calm down, all of you.” Sungmin’s quiet, heaving voice ordered through the ear piece to quiet down the members of the car behind us. Kyungsoo tilted his head to try and get a look at the man, only to find out that he couldn’t. The roof of the car was collapsed so far that Kyungsoo could barely even see Kai at his side. Fear gripped the teen’s heart, until he heard the younger boy’s frantic gasps for breath through the deathly silence.

                The clicking of seatbelts was insanely loud in Kyungsoo’s ringing ears, and his fingers fumbled to undo his own seatbelt. The door still dug into his body, and he grunted as he used his arms to push the framing back out, nearly removing the damaged door in the process. When he was free, Kyungsoo then went to work on raising the caved in roof, until he was finally able to see the other occupants of the wrecked vehicle.

                Heart pounding against his ribcage, Kyungsoo searched the faces of his friends, dreading the possibility of one being injured. Thankfully, however, they all remained intact. Sungmin had a dribble of blood running down his forehead, and Suho had a nasty cut on his cheek, but everyone else was completely fine. Like Suho had said, the back was the safest place to be, and those in the back seats were great save for their horrified expressions.

                With the knowledge that the others were fine, Kyungsoo gave himself the okay to give his complete attention to Kai. The younger teen was puncturing holes into the van’s leather seats with how hard he held on, and his chest rose and fell quickly with each gasping breath. He hadn’t even removed his seatbelt yet, and Kyungsoo ignored the questioning voices that continued in his ear in favor of crawling over to the hyperventilating boy.

                “Jongin. Jongin, listen to me.” Kyungsoo said, putting a hand against the boy’s cheek. Wide eyes met his own, and Kyungsoo used his free hand to remove Kai’s restricting seatbelt. “Jongin. You need to breathe. We’re okay. No one’s hurt. Breathe.”

                Even with Kyungsoo’s gentle, coaxing words, it took a long minute for Kai to recover his breathing. And even then, the boy didn’t seem completely out of it. His hands shook terribly, and the fear was plainly evident in his expression. Kyungsoo understood exactly, but he also knew that they needed to keep going. According to what he’d just managed to catch from Sungmin and Youngjae’s conversation, whatever had hit them wasn’t natural, which only meant one thing.

                “The ENTs have scouts.” Sungmin was saying, his words echoing into each member’s ear piece. “They know we’re here, and there’s bound to be more. Let’s just hope they haven’t found the Tree yet.”

                “We need to send a group in ahead.” Youngjae said in return. “The rest of us can intercept whoever we may come across, in the meantime, while they capture the Tree.”

                “Hold on. Are you suggesting we split up?” Sehun’s response came without surprise.

                “That’s exactly what we’re saying.” Sungmin told the boy, enlightening them all through the communication. “We need to have the Tree in a safe place, in our possession, in order to ensure our victory. Our main goal is to protect the Tree and whoever I set in charge of getting it.”

                “And who would that person be?” Kyungsoo spoke up softly, already having a clear idea of whose name would be said as an answer. It was no surprise to him when Sungmin next opened his mouth.

                “I’ve already decided that Kai will have the task of bringing the Tree away from the battle site. His abilities will prove to be quite useful in escaping safely and efficiently.”

                “There will need to be a team of defense alongside him, of course.” Youngjae added. “Those members are—“

                “I’m going.” Kyungsoo interrupted Youngjae without a second thought, refusing to listen in case he wasn’t chosen. Regardless, there was no way he wasn’t fighting to stay at Kai’s side. Already, there was enough for him to fear, and none of them could afford to have the young teen freeze up in the middle of a life or death situation. Kyungsoo would be there to make sure it wouldn’t happen.

                “As I was saying,” Youngjae’s voice piped up again, “The team shall include D.O, Xiumin, and Chanyeol, who I trust will do everything in their power to keep both Kai and the Tree safe until Kai can bring it to our predetermined safe-location. After that, you can join the rest of us in holding whatever army we face at bay.” 

                “Until reinforcements arrive, and even after, you must not let your guards down.” Sungmin continued on. “The battle won’t be over until every last one of those damn ENTs are dead, so let’s get out there and do this. You are all strong, and it’s up to you to bring us to victory.”

                Sungmin’s words rang a familiar bell in Kyungsoo’s head, but he didn’t have much time to think about it right then. They had sat talking in the damaged car for long enough, and Kyungsoo kicked out the other side door with ease so that Kai could stumble out. Sungmin stood waiting for them, and Youngjae ran over with Chanyeol after exiting their own unharmed vehicle. Xiumin joined them, too, and then Sungmin began to explain where they needed to go.

                Apparently, the Tree was hidden in an abandoned barn in the area. They were close enough that the damage done to the car wasn’t too dampening on their plan, but both Youngjae and Sungmin agreed that they should all cram into the single remaining van for the few minutes that it would take for them to reach the general area. They then went on to explain to Kai where he should take the Tree once they find it, and Kyungsoo only hoped the boy would be able to keep his cool when the time came.

                After a quick discussion on battle formations between the entire group, they joined together in the second van to head out once more. Kyungsoo’s smaller group squished themselves together in the open trunk for an easy exit, while the others all found some sort of seat that consisted of another member’s lap. They wasted hardly any time before Youngjae was speeding down the road again, with Sungmin keeping a careful eye on the surroundings in case another attack was to unfold.       

                Wind blew Kyungsoo’s hair in every which direction as the car flew past blurs of green, and goosebumps prickedhis skin despite the jacket he wore. He busied himself with arranging the hidden weapon in his jacket’s inner pocket—a pistol that Sungmin had given to him before the drove off. They’d brought some extra weapons in the trunk, which were then passed out to individual members since they needed the space to sit. They matched the one that Kai already possessed, and Kyungsoo turned to see the boy staring down at the weapon in his lap.

                Kai stared down at the gun gripped loosely in his hand without really seeing it. His eyes were wide and unfocused, and he jumped when Kyungsoo reached over to link their fingers. Kyungsoo wanted to smile for him, but he knew the reassuring feeling wouldn’t be present, so he just squeezed the boy’s hand, instead. There was no denying the way Kyungsoo’s hands shook, and he was sure that Kai noticed it, too, but that didn’t mean he was going in without high hopes.

                For the first time in Kyungsoo’s life, he was living in a moment where he didn’t want to die. Ever since he had confessed to Kai, he strived to live. Kyungsoo trained long and hard for this day so that he wouldn’t have to fear death. And though he still dreaded the sudden end of his life, he was confident that this was not that day. He had a life with Kai in his future, and he would do all he could to live it.

                A change of terrain, where the road became rough and bumpy, had Kyungsoo averting his attention away from Kai. Youngjae had steered the van off-road, and now they drove down a nearly hidden dirt pathway through branching trees. Road-side forestry seemed to be a common detail among Siwon’s chosen locations, and they spent another few minutes driving through dappled sunlight under the fresh vegetation, until the forest came to a gradual end.

                When they came to a stop, they sat at the edge of the forest, the tip of the car still hidden behind a scattered wall of scrawny bushes. Kyungsoo twisted himself so that he could look over his shoulder at the area, which consisted of wide-spread farmland. The land looked unused, the soil unturned and weeds sprouting anew after the winter season. Giant sprinklers marked the land over a distance, and to their left, Kyungsoo caught sight of an enormous barn. 

                Kyungsoo’s heart rate increased at the mere sight of their lone destination. The entire reason for everything that had happened to them, beginning with the moment they found their abilities up until then, stood waiting right in front of them. All they had to do was step forward and get inside, but they didn’t budge.

                “Why aren’t we doing anything?” Kris’ deep voice spoke up, and Luhan’s followed, shaking with hinted anxiety.

                “Can’t we just go now and get this over with? This place is deserted.”

                “We aren’t the only one waiting for the other side to make the first move.” Sungmin stated simply, tilting his chin in the direction of the trees parallel to their current position. The barn lay in the middle of a peninsula of trees, with the only open view directed at the road passing far in front of the barn. Kyungsoo directed his attention to where Sungmin had gestured, but there was nothing out of the ordinary. “Just wait for it…”

                And as soon as those words left Sungmin’s mouth, a flash caught Kyungsoo’s eyes. The others seemed to notice it, too, for all of their heads snapped together at once to see what it was. In the distance, within the tree-line equal to the one they were hiding in, a flash of light shone from the darkness. Moments later, a wave of lights echoed back, as if repeating an order. It looked as though they were reflecting sunlight using a mirror or something, but that was the least of Kyungsoo’s worries when he heard the audible sound of Youngjae shifting the vehicle into drive.

                “It’s now or never, boys! Time to shine!” Sungmin said in a near shout.

                “Remember your training!” Youngjae added, determination dripping from each word. “You’re a team, so let’s make sure to end this with that little victory chant of yours! You’re stronger than you may think!”

                And before anything else could be said, the car jerked into motion, nearly throwing those in the trunk out onto the dirt. Kyungsoo clung to the car’s framing, heart pounding in his ears. Youngjae drove at such a speed that it only took a few seconds for them to reach the barn, which was even bigger up close. Kyungsoo recalled their instructions in a split second, and he jumped out of the car, hooking his arm around Kai’s to bring the boy with him.

                Immediately, Kai sprinted up to the barn doors with Chanyeol and Xiumin right behind him. Kyungsoo hesitated just a moment as the others barreled out of the van, looking over to the trees. A great distance away, black figures swarmed out of the green. Kyungsoo couldn’t tell much from the distance he stood at, but there wasn’t much to think about in that moment other than Youngjae. The young teen dropped everyone off, and then he was kicking up dirt again as he went full speed over the fields. He drove straight towards the mob of ENTs that faced them, and he didn’t even hesitate to crash into the front lines with the vehicle at such a great speed.

                “Go!” Sungmin’s voice shouted out above the noise of the roaring car and wounded screeches, and Kyungsoo was forced to turn away from the boy risking his life for them. This was the most reckless that Kyungsoo had ever seen him, and he wondered what was going on inside of the younger teen’s mind to think that driving straight into the heart of the enemy was smart.  

                Kyungsoo sprinted for the still closed doors of the barn, parting ways with the rest of the group, who ran off to set up a meager blockade. Kai stood with the others, struggling to open the doors, and though he could’ve easily gone inside with his powers, Kyungsoo knew that he was either too scared to realize it, or he was saving up his strength. He only hoped that it was the latter.

                The three teens backed off when Kyungsoo joined them, and he didn’t pause before swinging a mighty fist at the old wood. It cracked and splintered under his touch, but he remained unharmed thanks to his gloves. After the breakthrough, it didn’t take much for him to create a hole big enough to squeeze through, and then they faced the barn’s interior.

                In the split-second glance that Kyungsoo gave the barn, he found an overhead loft, a giant set of machinery to use on the fields, a few empty stalls to holds animals, and stacks of hay and other random materials. What Kyungsoo didn’t see, however, was a tree.

                “Search the place!” The short teen shouted out, throwing an arm out for crazed emphasis. He was near hysterics given the situation, and he wasn’t sure his heart would be okay after this, but he couldn’t think about it now. They had a job to do, and he swore to himself that he wouldn’t give them a single second to slack off.

                The small group spread out to search the giant barn, and Kyungsoo was thankful for the sunlight that filtered through the damaged roof as he headed for the equipment in the far left. Pieces of the shingles lay scattered on the open center of the barn, and Kyungsoo scuffed through a floor of hay as he ran over to the John Deer machinery in search of anything useful. The one thing that Youngjae and Sungmin had oh-so-kindly left out in this whole thing was what they were actually looking for, and it only just occurred to Kyungsoo that the word Tree must’ve been a codename.

                Kyungsoo easily started pushing away pieces of heavy tractor parts and shelves of tools, but panic was beginning to set into his heart and mind. Already, he could hear the snarls of their enemies just outside, and he knew it was too late to go out and distract the others, who were posing as a distraction themselves. But desperation was starting to control Kyungsoo’s movements. He didn’t need to worry about Kai; he should’ve been worrying about himself falling apart, instead.

                Gasping and heaving for ragged breaths, Kyungsoo scanned the walls with crazed eyes, oblivious to the friends who stood around him. His hands shook, and he struggled to control the trembling that wracked his body. The Beast, on the other hand, relished in how Kyungsoo was quickly spiraling out of control. And in the split second where Kyungsoo let go completely, he tipped over a large set of shelves and sent its contents scattering across the floor.

                The large crash attracted the attention of his friends, who ran over immediately. Kyungsoo shook with intense emotion. Hate and anger for himself, fear for what would come, desperation to make things right, and a deep feeling of helplessness that made him want to give in to the Beast and cower behind the powerful entity, far in the depths of his own mind.

                And right as Kyungsoo turned to give his dear friends one final look, an engraved shape in the floor caught his eye. Old, rusted metal was visible through a thinned layer of hay, and Kyungsoo’s racing emotions were thrown into the forgotten as he knelt down. He brought his hand down to wipe away the hay and fallen roof shingles, and he uncovered a large circle that made up a part of the flooring. Set into the ground, it resembled a manhole, but there were no words on the top to signify what it could be. At what Kyungsoo assumed to be the front, placed deeper in the ground, he could barely make out what looked like two handles that sat parallel to each other. The space leading to the handles was just big enough to fit his hands into, and he reached down to grasp the thick metal bars.

                Kyungsoo wasn’t sure what made him do it, whether it was curiosity or some other unexplainable force, but he called upon his strength and pulled. In a strangely expected way, it shifted, and Kyungsoo glanced up at the faces in front of him. Their expressions were just as mixed as his was, but he caught the impatient urging that flowed off of them. Without waiting another second, Kyungsoo heaved with all of his might, pulling the handles up and out of the ground, until they stopped with a click at chest level.

                When Kyungsoo could no longer budge the odd, upside down L-shaped handles, he stepped back, and that’s when he felt a shift in the ground beneath them. The slightest of shaking originated from below, but not enough to really notice if you weren’t paying attention. The loud groaning and clanking sounds that followed were much more noticeable, and Kyungsoo was completely frozen with awe as the manhole-looking shape began to rise from the ground at a slow, steady pace.

                Eyes wide, Kyungsoo took another step back, the events going on outside completely erased from his mind. He couldn’t hear the ringing gunshots, the tearing of skin with knives, or the vicious snarls and growls of alien beasts. All that Kyungsoo could hear was the pounding of his heart as a large cylinder tube rose from the ground they stood on.

                With a terrible screech, the shaking came to a stop and the four teens were faced with something they never imagined they would see. Nothing in the world accounted to what they saw before them, and Kyungsoo’s jaw went slack when he put two and two together in his otherwise empty head.

                The Tree wasn’t just a tree, but it was a girl. A woman to be exact. A stunning beauty with beautiful green skin patched with bark, and legs twisting to form a trunk and roots which hung limply in the liquid filled cylinder that she floated within. Her hair was a magnificent mixture of branches and leaves, along with real hair that was a pure, stark white. Vines crawled along her body, and a beautiful flower grew at the side of her head, completing her perfect image. 

                Kyungsoo swore his heart stopped, and he was even more sure of that when the woman opened the brightest blue eyes that he’d ever seen to gaze straight at him. The world remained frozen around them, and Kyungsoo couldn’t even find the need to breathe.

                “I am the Tree of Life.” A smooth, stunning voice spoke. Kyungsoo didn’t see move, but he immediately knew that it was the woman. Even through telepathy, her voice held a sense of royalty, and Kyungsoo would have felt the need to bow if he wasn’t rendered immobile.

                “I feel them…. The twelve are near.” The woman continued in her sweet, deep voice. “You have awoken me, and though I honor your ability to get this far, you are no match for them.”

                Kyungsoo didn’t understand what she was going on about, but he listened until she finished.

                “My children… You are of the twelve, four. The others… They fight for me, but they won’t last long. Already, they have fought hard, so let me lesson your burden until help arrives…”

                The woman—the Tree of Life—closed her eyes once more, her hands moving above her head. She formed a circle within her enclosed space, bringing her thin hands together down in front of her once more before she pushed them out, as if she were giving them something. Kyungsoo was confused by the action, until he was hit with a force that had him gasping for breath, hunching over to contain the sensation. It wasn’t pain he felt, but instead, an overflowing strength. The others were in the same position, and as Kyungsoo rose again, an ENT’s hand burst through the wall to his right, clawing to break away the wood, followed by several more.

                “Go. Fight with the others. I know that you will not let them harm me, so go, my children…”

                Kyungsoo sent one look at the Tree of Life, and then to his friends. A sense of calm washed over him, and he clenched his fists. He didn’t need to say anything; they all made the same decision right then and there to go against their initial orders.

                Without another second of hesitation, Kyungsoo sprinted for the opening of the barn. He crashed through the remainder of the entrance, but he didn’t feel a thing. Strength poured through his veins, and as he gazed out over the raging fight, he easily caught sight of his friends due to a sudden change in each of their appearances.

                Glowing blue eyes met Kyungsoo’s almost immediately when Kris met his gaze, and the older teen’s face went slack with sudden shock before returning to a vicious glare. “What the hell is Kai doing out here!? He’s supposed to be gone!” Kris shouted above the fight.

                Pulling a knife from its sheath, Kyungsoo didn’t even blink as he cut down an ENT that had come at him from the crowd. He had caught their attention, but he kept his eyes trained on Kris’.

                “New orders.” Was his simple explanation, though it was immediately clear to Kris that the orders weren’t from Sungmin or Youngjae. They all would’ve gotten the same message, but Kris didn’t argue. The older teen knew better than to question them after the sudden spike in their power, so the leader turned back to the battle at hand.

                An ocean of ENTs in their true, nasty forms swarmed all over the place. They hadn’t surrounded any other sides of the barn, yet, but Kyungsoo knew that it wouldn’t be long before they did, so he himself into the throngs of bodies, cutting down anyone without the glowing blue that had become the eyes of his friends. He felt his muscles flex with each swing of his fist, which rammed into several faces and stomachs, among other body parts. He easily recalled his training, and after so long, his body flowed smoothly without much thought. He blocked all sorts of attacks, both supernatural and physical, though he gained several injuries of his own when he did so.

                After fighting foe after foe for who knows how long, Kyungsoo began to feel the high of power drifting away. Pain was left in its place, along with his earlier panic and fears. His jaw clenched painfully tight, and his head ached from a hard hit that he had taken earlier. Cuts along his body stung and blood poured from a gash in his leg, but Kyungsoo didn’t stop; he couldn’t.

                However, the ENTs just kept coming. Kyungsoo knew for a fact that he had taken out at least fifty of these aliens, but the enemy numbers didn’t even seem to dwindle in the least. In fact, it almost seemed as if there were more than before. They screeched wildly like animals, throwing themselves all over the place, but above their incredible noise, Kyungsoo heard a particularly heart-clenching scream that stopped him in his tracks.

                Kai’s guttural cry was among Kyungsoo’s worst fears, and the beastly teen whipped his head around for the source of the shout. A few yards away, Kai was forced to his knees by and ENT who held his arms behind his back. The boy was surrounded by the ugly things with gaping jaws that practically flooded with drool. They lifted clawed fingers to pierce Kai’s skin, making Kyungsoo turn hot with rage.

                Kyungsoo stormed straight towards the younger boy, cutting down anyone who got in his path. His vision turned red, but he shook it away and kept his fast pace. Ramming into the ENT holding Kai, Kyungsoo barreled the disgusting thing away from the young teen, who glanced over with wide eyes. Kyungsoo spared a glance at the boy, but the ENT took that time to slam a fist into his face, long claws extending to claw at the skin.

                Practically growling with fury at the thought that this thing hurt Kai, Kyungsoo hurled himself at the ENT. He thought it would be an easy win, until the ENT threw him back off with equal strength. Shocked, Kyungsoo barely managed to get to his feet before a fist landed in his gut, causing him to choke on a yell. They shared the same ability, he then realized, but his previous empowerment was fading. The Tree had done her share, and now Kyungsoo was left with his self-doubts as he faced a stronger opponent for the first time in his life.

                Heart pounding against his ribs, Kyungsoo spared another look around. Amongst the fray, he spotted signs of his friends, even if he couldn’t see them. Gunshots rang often, with bursts of ice, fire, lightning, and water flying around at random. A strong wind would pick up every now and then, and random ENTs would go flying out of nowhere. Flashes of light appeared constantly, but not enough to blind from a distance, and Kyungsoo caught Tao flitting here and there at the edge of his vision. And finally, he caught sight of a giant flaming form in the sky, and recognized Kris among the blazing shape of a dragon. The picture of Kris before him was achingly familiar, as the beginning of a new life together.

                Each of his friends were fighting to their highest capabilities, but here Kyungsoo was, holding back. And all because he was scared of what he really was. They were getting nowhere, and he wasn’t doing his full part. The two fit together, obviously, and the Beast had been begging in its own prideful way for the entirety of the fight. In the heat of battle, it clawed at his insides, and for the first time since he had gotten his powers, Kyungsoo gave in.

                Unlike usual, this time wasn’t painful at all. The position wasn’t ripped out of his control; it was given. Kyungsoo slid back into his own head, feeling the bloodthirsty passion of the Beast take his place, and he watched the scene unfold before him without worry.

 

 

 

 

 

                Luhan’s head pounded, his skull throbbing with each pulse of his heart. Sweat oozed from every inch of his body, which was hot due to the intense workout that came from fighting. Surprise.

                Running a slick arm across his sweat and blood matted bangs, Luhan swept a hand out in front of him, swinging it around to gain the effect of crashing ENTs into each other like dominos. They reacted like brainless animals, floundering around to the point where they nearly attacked each other. So much for a perfect race, as they were once told was the ENTs’ main goal. Whoever their leader was, they had done a pretty terrible job.

                Luhan was at least thankful to have Sehun fighting at his side. Not only did the young boy give him a sense of protection, but he also provided a nice breeze to cool his heated body. Luhan’s build burned in more ways than one, with the sun beating down on them and his muscles getting worked to the max. He had often trained in physical combat back at the base, but in the moment, he regretted not doing so more often. The gun in his right hand did as it was meant to, though, and when someone got too close, it came as the perfect replacement for his aching mind.

                The situation at hand was one straight from a movie, but Luhan had soon found out that living the fight didn’t give the same fierce excitement as watching it. These beasts didn’t play by any rules, and they came at him from all sides without hesitation. Each strike they made was meant to kill, and there was no calling mercy with beings who didn’t have it in their vocabulary.

                After what felt like a long time since the battle began, though it was really only less than a half hour, there was a sudden shift in Luhan’s power. It came as a surprise to feel the zing of energy flash through him and then settle at his core, but he couldn’t deny how good it felt. It relieved the stress he had put his body through so far, and despite the occurring events, a smile spread across his face.

                Using the new strength to the best of his ability, Luhan gathered a group of ENTs in his invisible grip and sent them flat to the ground, tripping up those who advanced from behind them. With jerky movements of his hands and the clenching of his fists, the bodies of several enemies caved in, and they crumpled the ground almost instantly. The power was overwhelmingly amazing.

                After a while, Luhan looked back over his shoulder to seek out Sehun in order to ask him if he felt the same, but the words caught in his throat when he saw the way his boyfriend’s eyes glowed a bright blue. Luhan reeled back in shock, and a force-field of air was created around them by Sehun when their eyes met. In the short moments that followed, the two boys stared at each other in confusion. But the battle was still raging around them, and only a few spare heartbeats went by before a form out of the corner of his eye caught Luhan’s attention.

                Turning to look through the crowds of snarling ENTs, Luhan was completely surprised to see Kyungsoo forcing his way through the swarm, pummeling each and every being that he passed. The boy’s matching blue eyes came as a flash, his form zipping in and out of Luhan’s line of sight as he weaved between enemies, swinging his fists this way and that. Heads caved in under his touch, blood spraying everywhere, coating the boy in a deep purple, unlike their own red. The screaming around them ceased, yet grew louder at the same time due to the short boy’s incredible power, and Luhan was rendered speechless at the sight.

                This wasn’t Kyungsoo. Not the one that Luhan knew, anyway. This Kyungsoo didn’t hesitate to use his unparalleled strength to kill, and the way he smiled in the heat of battle made him unrecognizable to even Luhan, who knew him the longest out of the group, next to Kai. Obviously, Kyungsoo had bonded more with the younger teen than Luhan, not that he took it personally.

                Luhan was so caught up in his thoughts on Kyungsoo that he let his guard fall, leaving him defenseless. It had been one of their first lessons to never do so, but he didn’t even notice his mistake until claws wrapped around his forearm and pierced his skin. In a completely disturbing way, Luhan felt the tips of the sharp, needle-like claws hit the bone underneath his skin, and a scream instantaneously shredded his throat.

                “Luhan!” The first coherent thing that Luhan had heard since the fighting began was Sehun screeching his name, but even then, he hardly heard it over the sound of his own screams. The barrier that Sehun had created faltered, and another hand reached in to grasp Luhan’s arm, pulling harshly and streaking his right forearm with bloody gashes.

                The gun that had been in his hand fell to the ground, and tears streamed down Luhan’s face endlessly. The pain that spread from his arm was unimaginable, and his throat was raw from screaming, his voice failing him rather quickly. He dropped to his knees, and was then shoved to the side due to the ENTs scrambling at him for easy prey. He was thrown to his back in the dirt, and several claws pricked his arms and legs. He opened his mouth to shout for someone, but even if his voice wasn’t already gone, he would’ve been interrupted by another round of shooting pain, even worse than what he’d already experienced. Mouth gaping open, Luhan arched his back as his arm was surely broken by merciless hands, and black swam over his vision as a result. He was stuck between feeling the pain all too clearly and not at all, and his mind was dropping quickly out of consciousness, but he fought to stay awake.

                In his struggle, Luhan hardly noticed the claws leaving his body, and he barely even felt the blast of wind that washed over him, afterwards. All he could see was black, and he wondered if he was already out cold until a familiar face appeared. Kyungsoo stood above him, hurling away the ENTs that had brought him down in the same monstrous way that Luhan had seen him using earlier. For a moment, he was scared. Completely defenseless, he lay on the verge of possibly bleeding out, and this bloodthirsty version of his friend was the one to come to his rescue. He was thankful, but strange thoughts filtered into his brain, telling him that this thing had more in store for him.

                “, Luhan!” Sehun’s voice rang out again, dull but audible to Luhan’s ears. “Don’t you ing die! You promised!”

                Opening his mouth, Luhan made a move to tell Sehun that he wasn’t going anywhere, but a weak moan was all that left his throat. It felt like he’d swallowed needles, and it took all of his remaining strength just to keep his eyes open.  

                Blurs of color passed over Luhan’s vision, but his perception of time was distorted, and he really had no clue how much time passed as he laid on the ground. Sehun’s deep, cursing voice drifted through his mind every now and then, but nearly all other sounds were muted to his ears. He didn’t even know anyone else was at his side until a piercing pain raked through his body once more, and his wide eyes met Lay’s before the younger teen looked down at what was probably his injured arm.

                Slow to realize what was going on, it took a minute for Luhan to recognize the calming sensation of Lay’s powers working on his body, and the pain lessened just enough for him to regain his senses. Agony gripped his right arm, but he couldn’t look to see how bad the damage was. Lay’s balance wavered when he removed his hands from Luhan’s body, and even though it was only a small portion of the pain that the boy had taken, Luhan felt incredibly bad for receiving his help. It was his fault that Lay now had to carry this extra burden, and he swore to himself that he’d make up for it.

                Now was not the time, though, for Luhan was still unable to move. He could barely crane his neck to look around, and when he did, he caught sight of a formation in the distance sky. Black shapes dotted the sky, growing gradually large until he could tell that they were helicopters. The sound of whirring blades reached his ears, and hope soared through his chest at what it meant.

                Reinforcements!

                A roar erupted from somewhere nearby, and red swallowed Luhan’s vision. Flames spread throughout the horde of ENTs, whose screeching intensified when their bodies caught easily. Tears pricked Luhan’s eyes, or maybe they’d never stopped. Either way, the giant form of a dragon appeared in the distance, and Luhan couldn’t have been happier.

                G-Dragon, the man who was always known to never appear the same way twice, was there and in the exact form of a dragon as they’d first seen him. A double, or even triple bonus came in the form of the allies who piled out of helicopter bodies and threw themselves into the fight. Luhan could’ve cheered, and he recognized relief on Lay’s face.

                They were saved.

 

 

 

 

 

                “Soo!”

                The Beast perked up at the sound of Kai’s voice, reacting to the knowledge it had of how close the boy and Kyungsoo were. He turned in the direction of the voice and saw the boy standing a few feet away, a collection of black, bloody bodies writhing between them.

                Kyungsoo had watched as the Beast tore apart the enemies that had swarmed over Luhan and Jongin’s bodies, destroying them before they could do the same to his friends. Though the Beast wasn’t very fond of Kyungsoo’s friends, it liked the thrill of death, which meant they both had something to gain. Unlike Kyungsoo, however, the Beast wasn’t quite happy with the arrival of reinforcements, which meant their fight was reaching its end.

                For this reason, Kai stood at the edge of the fight, guns in both hands as he called for Kyungsoo to join him and the others. They were sent to protect the Tree of Life inside the barn in case some miraculous ENT managed to get through the masses that had just joined the fight, when in reality, they were just given a break.
                The Beast kept his eyes trained on Kai’s form, watching how the boy holstered one of his guns to hold out a trembling hand. His eyes were bright, but not with fear. His eyes shone with pride and hope, and Kyungsoo closed his own eyes. It was time to return, and another first-time event occurred when the Beast allowed him to slip back in control, not even continuing the fight inside his body.

                A wave of feelings crashed over Kyungsoo as soon as he was governing his own body, again. It began with pain; intense, but received without regret. Then relief swept through him, and he stumbled forward. He caught sight of familiar faces, and they paved a path for him as he headed straight for Kai.

                Jackson appeared in a flash, sword in hand, with Mark fighting in his general radius, always a move ahead of his opponents thanks to his mind reading abilities. Zelo was there, too, his arms outstretched and eyes glowing gold. Without so much as a warning, the ENTs around him each other, tearing each other apart with vicious claws. Ren was also some short ways away, long hair flicking around him as he called upon his powers of weather, drawing together a storm that seemed to affect only their enemies with enormous bolts of lightning that put Chen to shame, not that Kyungsoo would word it aloud. The poor boy was probably thinking the same thing.

                Turning away from the fight, Kyungsoo limped over to join Kai, who immediately enveloped him in a giant hug. And though it probably did both of them more harm than good, Kyungsoo gave a quick hug back, breathing in what little of the boy’s scent remained under the stench of blood.

                “I’m so proud of you…” Was all Kai said before he pulled back and started leading the way into the barn. Already, the sounds of battle were beginning to fade behind them, and they limped through the destroyed entrance and into the old wood structure.

                The Tree of Life and all of her beauty stood—or floated—just as they’d left her. It wasn’t like she could go anywhere, seeing as she was enclosed in a giant tube, but it was a relief to see that their efforts didn’t go to waste. She was perfectly unharmed, and the rest of their team was collapsed on the ground at her feet.

                Kyungsoo didn’t realize how far his exhaustion reached until his legs gave out under him, and he barely managed to push out his arms to catch himself in time. His limbs were as heavy as lead, and he was quite positive that at least one of his fingers was broken. He had bigger things to worry about, though, like the battle that they had just left their friends to fight outside. He didn’t want to be selfish about it, but the others could take care of it themselves. They had done enough to keep the enemies at bay, and they were sure to overpower them now that the entire base had come.                                   

                “You’ve worked so hard, my children. I am forever proud of you, as always.” The Tree’s sudden voice spoke into each of their heads, and Kyungsoo heaved himself to a sitting position so that he could look at her. Her eyes were open, and those who had yet to see her were reacting in just the same way as Kyungsoo had. He swore he even saw her smile, in response.

                “I am a proud mother, and you deserve your rest. Thank you for your protection. You shall never have to face such awful beings again, for the others will exterminate them in your stead. They will never again be able to misuse the gifts I bestowed on them all those years ago.”

                “What do you mean?” A soft voice spoke up, and Kyungsoo looked over to see that it was Suho. His clothing was ripped in several places, and dried blood covered his face as he looked at the Tree with wide, sparkling eyes. The Tree answered without hesitation.

                “The ENTs wanted a perfect race, but I was always a creation of EXO Planet. They stole me, removing me from my home planet, and what you see before you is the result.” The Tree of Life paused, letting the words sink in. “Their people are uncivilized and revolting, their minds corrupt. They turned my power into something evil, and they misused it, but they still wanted more. With no other choice, I was sent here to hide.

                “Many years have passed. I have felt each of your gifts passed down lines of humans, but only through those who were born with worth. I’ve foreseen many futures with each reawakening of your powers through the several lives, but yours was always the most promising. You’ve fulfilled your duties well.”

                Kyungsoo was speechless to the Tree’s words. He didn’t realize their existence traced back so far, and through such precision and detail. He always thought he was a no one—a monster—always below everyone else. Never before had he thought that they could be made for something so great.

                All of a sudden, a memory drifted up to the surface of his mind; a piece of a conversation that’d taken place back on Christmas Day, triggered forth by the Tree’s words.

                "What was that about protecting our own, or whatever?"

                "We aren't sure ourselves, but there have been other rumors of knights sent from our planet along with everyone else. Who they are, none of us know. Siwon may not even know, but apparently the knights are the ones that are to bring us to victory, and we must protect them at all costs until their purpose is fulfilled."

                Taken aback by his own memory, Kyungsoo found his jaw going slack. It can’t be…

                “Honorable, you all are.” The Tree of Life went on, almost as if she could read Kyungsoo’s thoughts. “You were always destined to be knights of our planet, and I couldn’t be more proud to call you my children.”

                Hit with an abrupt wave of dizziness, Kyungsoo nearly tipped over. He stuck out his arm to catch himself, his other hand holding his aching head. It was too much at once. Everything hurt and his mind couldn’t handle the pain and information all at the same time. And just when he thought things couldn’t get any stranger, a familiar voice sounded from the direction of the entrance behind them.

                “My Lady…”

                Turning to look over his shoulder, Kyungsoo was shocked to see both Siwon and Leo walking in. Siwon wore the pristine white suit of a leader while the latter wore black, and both men continued walking forward, passing each of them until they could bow before the Tree. Leo was the one to speak again, unlike his usual silent character. “My Lady. It’s wonderful to see you again.”

                With a hint of humor to her voice, the Tree replied. “My, my. Your looks increase with each generation. You, my children, are all so beautiful.”

                “The battle is won, My Lady.” Siwon reported, bowing once more to the contained woman. “We have done what is needed for your ensured survival. If you wish, we can begin preparations to bring you home.”

                Won… Home… Siwon’s words were slow to reach Kyungsoo’s ears. Just as he couldn’t believe that they were going into battle, now he couldn’t believe that it was over. But Siwon was right; the fighting was done. Silence filled the air—no screeching, gunshots, or sounds of any kind. They were alive and well, for the most part. They could go home.

                But as Kyungsoo thought about it, he recalled that he didn’t have one. Whatever had been his home, he had destroyed by his own two hands. There was nowhere else for him to go. None of his extended family would take him if they found out what he’d done, not that he knew any of them in the first place. His own parent’s faces were only imprinted in his mind in the form of bloodied bodies, mangled and lifeless on the floor. He didn’t even have a clean memory of those who conceived and raised him.

                Kyungsoo didn’t realize that he had begun crying even when Siwon spoke again, this time to the twelve tattered teenagers sitting around him.

                “I commend you all for the strength you’ve shown. You bring pride to the name EXO, and I wouldn’t give the name to anyone else.” Siwon paused to give them all a proud, almost sad, smile. “Come, we must fix up your wounds. After that, well, you can go home.”

                And so, with a simple gesture of his hands, Siwon had a team of medics entering the barn, led by Youngjae and Daehyun. The Tree of Life became surrounded with bustling people, all who bowed and stood in awe at her glory before getting their injuries checked or doing the checking, themselves.

                Hands tugged at Kyungsoo’s body, pulling him to his feet and helping him to a table that’d been set up. He was numb to nearly everything, his head muddled, but he could make out a beautiful voice after a few minutes. It calmed him, sending a soothing and almost healing sensation throughout his body. It made him warm and he didn’t want it to end. He focused everything he had on that voice, not wanting to let go, while his wounds were looked at, in the meantime. He didn’t even notice.

                It seemed that Kyungsoo dozed off, because he next found himself opening his eyes to the broken roof of the barn. He was situated on the floor, now, and Kai’s face was the first he saw, smiling beautifully with the light of the fading sun accenting his features. Kyungsoo moved to sit up, finding that the pain was nearly gone. Bandages covered practically every inch of his body, but he couldn’t feel what lay beneath them. Someone was still singing, and it turned out to be Daehyun. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but stare, his everything worshipping the magnificence of his voice.

                “You know… I love your voice so much more…” A soft voice spoke close to Kyungsoo’s ear, and he turned to find Kai’s eyes directly in front of his. Their noses lay millimeters apart, and it would’ve only taken a small movement to bring them together. But before he could move even one of those millimeters, a voice resonated in his mind.

                “Family—like branches on a tree, we all grow in different directions, yet our roots remain as one. Don’t ever forget the bonds you share.”

                Tears gathered in Kyungsoo’s eyes in a sudden flood, and he didn’t even bother holding back. He let the drops fall as the words sunk deep into his heart. And for the first time in forever, he kissed Jongin full force, crashing into the younger teen with arms thrown around his neck. “I love you so much…”

                And he meant it.

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

And it’s finally done. There will be an epilogue after this, and I’m sure you’ll all hate to hear this, but there’ll be a sequel! Yay! I have a really long message that I’m gonna write because ya’ll probably know I can’t shut up, and I’ll explain the sequel thing more in there.

Anyway, this is it for now. I hope you all liked the story, and I completely understand if you don’t. I’d love if you’d at least comment to tell me what you think! It really helps to further someone and make them better, so I love to hear good and bad things!

Real life! EXO concert is on Friday. I’m going to die. Like legit, I will faint. I’m so excited. >~<

I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GOOD VALENTINES DAY! I JUST REALIZED THAT I UPDATED AND THOUGH ITS STILL THE THIRTEENTH FOR ANOTHER HOUR AND A HALF HERE, ITS ALREADY TOMORROW FOR OTHERS SO HAVE A GOOD TIME AND LOVE YOURSELF AND EVERYONE ELSE. I LOVE YOU ALL, JUST SO YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3<3<3<3<3<3

oh yeah, and I may take a bit of time writing the epilogue, and it'll probably be short. I need to think more about the sequel so that they lead into each other properly and blah blah blah. It may take a while, I don't know, but I hope to hear from you guys soon!

 

//FORGETS TO UNHIDE CHAPTER TEO DAYS AGO AAAAAH ILL GO BACK AND FIX UP THIS STUPID MESSAGE LATER//