Chapter 1

Black Pearl

~Re-uploaded Edited~


 

 

 

        Luhan sipped his bubble tea through a straw as he walked down the busy street on his way home from school. Such a drink was needed to keep him going the rest of the night, and he wasn't looking forward to another late night of homework. Even though it was only late September, Luhan's teachers had decided to send him away with piles of complicated work. Being a senior, the teachers gave more, expecting more, which meant longer nights and a heavier backpack.

        Luhan sighed as he scuffed his feet through the piles of fallen leaves that covered the road. A headache was already starting to form at the base of his skull even though he hadn't even looked at a textbook yet. Luckily for him, his house just came into sight.

        He hurried up his driveway and dropped his backpack on the ground to search for his house key. Once he had unlocked the door, he turned to grab his backpack, but an unusual sight in the distance stopped him in his tracks.

        Luhan's eyes were wide as he stared at the giant flames that soared through the open sky, bunching to form the shape of a dragon. He could tell it was huge, and even from a distance, he knew it wasn't made by any normal human.

        In the blink of an eye, it was gone, and Luhan shook his head, telling himself that it was only his imagination. He grabbed his bag and continued on inside, wincing as his headache suddenly worsened. I have a feeling it's gonna be a long night... He thought with a sigh.

 

 

 

 

        Luhan's stomach growled painfully as he worked, and he glanced at the time to see that it was already 5:45 pm. He was surprised that his mother hadn't yet come in to tell him about dinner like she always did. She’d always been on time and adamant about eating proper, warm meals, so it was a rare surprise to find that dinner was running later than usual.

        Luhan set his pencil on his desk and left his room to check on her, walking down the hall to where his mother stood in the living room, a bowl in her hands. He opened his mouth to speak, but she didn't even seem to know he was there. Her eyes were locked on the tv, and Luhan’s own attention was drawn to what had her so occupied.

        As soon as his eyes locked on the screen, his breathing stopped. Fire flickered in brilliant shades of orange and red, crawling over the skin of a single person who crouched in the middle of the -street. The fire extended into the sky, the boy’s body seeming to be the source, which then created the dragon Luhan had seen. It was truly real.

        The people who crowded around the teenage boy had mixed emotions. Some were amazed, while others screamed in terror. Luhan just couldn't take his eyes off the screen. The teen didn't even seem to be in pain, but instead he looked angry with a mix of fear. His dark brown hair wasn't even burning.

        And to make it even more interesting, a second teen appeared in a flash beside the flaming boy. He took hold of the other, and then they both vanished, the flames going with them.

        The television screen changed to a group of people discussing the event, but Luhan didn't pay attention as one thought ran through his mind. I'm not alone.

        Forgetting about dinner completely, he ran to his room and got onto his computer. He searched up the flaming boy on Naver, and the screen immediately lit up with pictures, videos, and discussions on the event that’d taken place only hours before. Luhan scrolled through discussions on several websites to learn more about what happened, reading posts from all kinds of people.

He's so cool! XD

I saw it! He just burst into flames!

Will he hurt us??

Did that dude teleport!? Sweet! XP

Where did they go? Are we safe?

        Most were similar, but one caught Luhan's eye.

Are there more out there?

        He wanted so badly to type 'yes', but he stopped himself. They weren't normal, no matter how normal it felt to have this extra energy running through him. Ever since he first discovered his own special ability when he was seven, he knew he was different. Now, after so long, it was normal for him to hide this huge part of himself. But over the past eleven years, Luhan's power had gradually gotten stronger, and it was never easy to keep a secret.

        At one point, he hadn't yet gained full control of his telekinesis, and his mother had witnessed his amazing ability to control objects. Looking back now, Luhan was surprised at how well she handled it, not once saying he was a monster. She had quickly accepted him, and by then it seemed as if none of it had ever happened.

        Now two more people have appeared that he can relate to, more than he ever could have hoped for. The idea of more people like him didn't seem crazy anymore, andLuhan felt as though the long lasting emptiness inside him was slowly beginning to be filled.

 

 

 

 

        That night, after a silent dinner with his mother, Luhan tossed and turned in bed, unable to sleep. Images of the boy on fire filled his head. Who is he? What else can he do? How many more of us are there? Why do we even have these abilities? All of these questions filled Luhan's mind at once, not helping the headache that still pained him. He needed answers, but how was he supposed to get them?

        When sleep eventually took over, Luhan's dreams consisted of images of a dark house surrounded by trees. Zoomed out, a familiar road stretched past the forest, one that he had drove over many times while on vacations with his mother. He knew the area well, and it actually wasn't too far away from their current home.

        The image of the road faded and was replaced with multiple pictures of the two teens on the news. Image after image appeared, layered on top of each other in quick succession, until finally, Luhan woke.

        He was panting heavily with sweat dripping down his forehead. Looking at his clock, Luhan saw that it was only three in the morning. He wiped his face clean as he recalled his vivid dream.

        Why suddenly dream of that specific area? He hadn't even seen that house before, but it seemed to lie within the forest. And what about the two teenagers? It wasn’t a surprise to dream about them, given the circumstances, but were they somehow connected to house?

        Luhan groaned softly as he sat up, glad that his headache was finally fading, though he didn’t particularly enjoy having so much on his mind at such an early hour. He turned in his bed, shivering as he left the warmth of his covers to stand. His room was dark, and he had to cover his eyes as he his light. Then he opened his closet door and pulled out a large suitcase, hastily piling in clothes and other necessities. He emptied the textbooks out of his backpack, then grabbed his cellphone and wallet. A sudden, last minute thought hit him, telling him to also grab his savings, so he did without pondering over it.

        As quietly as he could, Luhan left his room and entered the kitchen. He threw some basic foods into his backpack, making sure to grab his toothbrush from the bathroom too. He swiftly piled in every other daily necessity, then he grabbed a pen and paper. He neatly wrote a simple apology to his mother.

I'm sorry. Please don't worry about me.

I'll be back soon, I promise.

Thank you for accepting me.

I have to do this. I love you.

        Luhan left the note text to the coffee maker with a small smile, then he silently entered his mother's room. She lay sleeping, like expected, and he tiptoed to her side. Sadness swept through him as he leaned down to softly kiss her cheek.

        "Goodbye..." Luhan whispered his farewell before silently leaving the room. He knew what he had to do, and he wasn't going to stop until he found his answers.

        Little did he know that his mother was awake the whole time. She covered and let out a soft sob as she heard the front door close, for deep in her heart, she had already known that her beloved son was going to leave.

 

 

 

 

 

        "You are so lucky I happened to see your little show earlier."

        A groan escaped the lips of a tall seventeen-year-old as this younger student repeated the same sentence for the billionth time that night. He seemed to find joy in pushing the senior's buttons, but he was about to get a fistful of fire because of it.

         Eventually, however, he decided to ask a real question. "So what's your name, anyway?"

        The taller debated on whether or not to tell him, then he sighed in resignation. "It’s Kris."

        The younger teen nodded slowly as he looked Kris up and down, as if fitting the name into each of his features. "I'm Jongin."

        Kris could honestly care less about his name. He just wanted to leave, but if he tried then he knew the other would only bring him back. They’d only been together for a few hours (most of which Kris spent ignoring him and trying to leave) and already, he’d gotten a good read on the boy’s attitude and personality.  It wasn’t hard when he was so open.

        "So why'd you bring me here?" Kris decided to ask, keeping the conversation alive. Jongin eased himself back on the couch he was seated on, his response coming eagerly.

        "I couldn't leave you there all alone. Besides, who knows that those people would've done to you."

        "You just wanted to be on tv, didn't you.?"

        Jongin gasped, only furthering Kris’ beliefs of his true intent. "What makes you think that!?"

        Kris simply shook his head in response as he laid down on the couch opposite Jongin, his arms crossed over his stomach. "Whatever your reason, thanks..." He murmured, a yawn slipping past his lips. "Who knows where I'd be now if you hadn't shown up." Jongin grinned.

        "That's right. Keep it coming." He opened his mouth to continue, but shut up when Kris sent him a glare. He managed to sit quietly after that, much to Kris' delight, and he was then able to fall into a light sleep.

 

 

       

 

 


~Edited~