Chapter 5

Black Pearl

~Re-uploaded; Edited~


 

 

 

        Kyungsoo sat quietly on a wood bench as he scanned the area before him in hopes of calming the rage that forever burned at his core. A park was the perfect spot for people of all ages to reside,  especially with the sun shining on warm afternoons such as this one. The teenager closed his eyes as he leaned back, soaking in the sun's rays while listening to the laughter of young children enjoying the public playgrounds with their families.

        The children could enjoy their lives, living without a care in the world if they made the right choices. Even as they grow into adults, they'll be able to be themselves and fall in love without having to hide a dark secret—one that could easily be considered the darkest of them all. They were free of the dark claws that held Kyungsoo back, and he couldn't help but become angry and envious of them. His own life was ruined, and he didn’t even have a single idea as to why.

        Kyungsoo heaved a heavy sigh as he opened his eyes again.  He’d come here in order to think positive, however, he only succeeded in letting himself fall prey to the dark thoughts that hung in the near depths of his mind. Seeing as his plan had failed, he decided on going back home. Home being Jongin's place.

        It had only been a few days since he started living there, but it already felt right to be with his new friends. Already, he viewed them as brothers, and they probably felt the same way. They'd spent the much of the past few days in the basement, messing with their powers most of the time. Kris still struggled, but he was slowly getting better at handling, and the others were patient with him. They were bonding closer to each other with each day that passed, and Kyungsoo was glad he could talk to them as though he was normal.

        With no reason to stay out in the park, Kyungsoo finally stood and began walking down the street. A sudden urge to speak with someone had just hit him out of nowhere, and he wanted to be home as soon as possible. Joonmyun sounded like a good person to talk to when he arrived, but he'd most likely be busy with Kris and Chanyeol. Luhan was nice and could probably lighten his mood, but it didn't appeal to Kyungsoo at that moment, not that there was anything wrong with him. That left the clingy freshman known as Jongin. It actually didn't seem like a bad idea since they'd talk a lot anyways, but that was just another reason to share his time with someone else.

        Focusing on his friends kept Kyungsoo’s attention away from things that he’d rather not think about, so he was grateful for his indecision while he followed the roads back home. Eventually, he came to a stop to look around before crossing a street, when he noticed a few men in suspiciously fancy suits a few feet away. He found it a little odd to be dressed so professionally in public, especially since they weren't near any businesses, but he shrugged the thought off as he continued on his way. Simply too much of his time was spent watching movies these days.

        Kyungsoo wandered slowly as he took his time getting home, picking out little details of the surroundings as he passed. Sure he wanted to hurry back, but he didn’t get out often enough to purely enjoy the environment like so. Things were changing these days, and something told him he should make it last.

        After a while, Kyungsoo happened to—quite literally—casually glance over his shoulder. It would be easy to imagine how surprised he was to find that the same three men in suits were behind him. He looked back to the front as his eyes went wide, while thoughts swept through his mind a mile a minute. Are they following me? Did I do something wrong? Maybe they know I haven't been going to school...

        Kyungsoo bit his lip and pretended he hadn’t noticed them as he turned a corner, heading in a direction away from home. His steps quickened with anxious fear flowing through his blood, and he could hear the heels of the men behind him also grow faster in response. Kyungsoo risked another glance back to see that they were indeed following him, but they didn't exactly look like they wanted him to return to school.

        The sophomore broke into an immediate sprint, making sudden and random turns in an attempt to lose his followers. He had hoped his younger body would give him an advantage, but the men seemed to be made for running. They didn't seem to be affected by the chase, while Kyungsoo was already panting after only a few minutes, sweat dripping down his forehead and back. No matter how many sharp turns he took, they were always right behind him. His legs were already starting to ache, and for some odd reason, there was no one outside to help him.

        The men chasing him began yelling, and even their voices lacked the usual signs of fatigue when they spoke. They didn’t need to make a single pause for breath, and their words were unburdened by lack of oxygen, as they should have been.

        "We have to ask you a few things!" One man shouted, followed by another.

        "Stop now and you won't be harmed!"

        Kyungsoo shook his head as he pushed himself to go faster, for both himself and the men behind him. If they had to ask a simple question, then they wouldn't have mentioned doing any harm. They had more in store for him, and he knew he had to get away somehow, so he tried his hardest to keep an optimistic lookout on the unforeseen event.

        Sadly, the world decided to hate Kyungsoo, and his foot caught on the most randomly placed wood plank that sat on the ground, sticking out of an alleyway. It appeared out of nowhere in his line of sight and he fell forward, scraping his body against the hard pavement. He groaned as he hurried to pull himself to his feet, but it was already too late, for he immediately felt hands grasping onto him.

        "Target captured. Begin phase two." A deep voice spoke.

        Kyungsoo's head spun as he looked around, struggling against the man who kept his arms pinned behind him. He could easily break free if he used his strength, but that could break the man's arm, or even kill him. He couldn't risk it, but he also couldn't trust the men to only ask a few questions as they claimed they would. The whole thing felt enough like a movie, as it was.

        Without so much as a single notice, they shoved Kyungsoo up against the side of the nearest building, keeping him in a tight hold. His cheek scraped harshly against the rough brick, and spit landed on his skin when the voice spoked directly into his ear. "Tell us, do you have any supernatural abilities?"

        Kyungsoo's eyes flew open wide, and his heart skipped a painful beat. "W-What?"

        "I’ll ask again, and it would be wise to answer now before things get worse for you. Do you possess any superpowers?"

        Before Kyungsoo could even think of answering as they wanted, there was a swish of air and another body beside his. He couldn't see, but he could hear the sounds of skin meeting skin and bodies hitting the ground. Groans filled the air, along with the thuds of scuffling bodies. The person keeping him against the wall was pulled off after mere seconds, and Kyungsoo stared as he came face to face with none other than his roommate, Jongin.

        The freshman put an arm around him as he looked down at the three men now on the ground, and he gave a strong tug to pull Kyungsoo closer. Naturally, Kyungsoo’s hands splayed out to steady himself, with one landing on Jongin’s chest and the other going around his waist. The younger boy’s expression was smug, whether from the work he did or their current position—possibly both—but Kyungsoo could only manage a blush in response to the current situation.

        "I don't think there's anyone with powers here, so we'll just be on our way." Jongin just barely finished his sentence before they were back at his house in a burst of color, and Kyungsoo stumbled as he suddenly lost his balance. His younger friend steadied him with an apologetic smile, and for some reason, it sent Kyungsoo’s heart into an unsteady rhythm. "Sorry. It takes a while to get used to that."

        "Guys! Are you okay!?" Luhan called out to them in worry as he ran over from the direction of the dining hall, a chair floating in the air after him. Kyungsoo collapsed onto it when it was securely on the ground and he gave a nod of assurance. Though his legs ached and his scrapes stung, he was all in all okay.

        "Thanks to Jongin, but how'd you know where I was?" He asked, the thought only now hitting him. There hadn’t been a living soul in the area where he’d been captured, but of all people, Jongin had been the one to find him.

        "What do you mean? I heard you yell when I was passing nearby."

        Kyungsoo was thoroughly confused by then, which only worsened his spinning thoughts. "But I didn't yell."

        "Really?" Jongin inquired, perplexity and doubt clear in his own voice. "Are you sure, because it was definitely your voice I heard..."

        Kyungsoo thought about it, then he just shrugged. He might've yelled without knowing, but he had no way to be sure. Maybe it happened when he fell? "Well anyways, thanks. Those guys wouldn't leave me alone."

        "We're you being mugged?" Luhan asked, as curious as ever. "How many were there?"

        "Uh, no and three." Kyungsoo answered in turn. "By the way, how'd you get them down so quickly, Jongin?"

        "Oh, I kinda just punched them." The freshman responded, passing it off as nonchalant with a shrug. "You know, like in the movies. It hurt way more than I thought it would, though." Kyungsoo noticed the way he rubbed at his red hands, and he shook his head with disapproval.

        "The movies are fake, so of course it wouldn't hurt them. Are you stupid?"

        "Well I had to do something! Who knows what they would've done to you?"

        "But why were they after you in the first place?" Luhan broke in to ask. Kyungsoo had already forgotten that he was out of the loop, and he bit his lip with his eyes downcast.

        "They knew about my powers... But I've never even told anyone outside of this house about them, and I definitely haven't used them in public, either."

        "So how?" Luhan sounded just as confused as Kyungsoo was, and he could only shrug.

        "They weren't just any normal civilians, so their boss must have some way of knowing." Jongin deduced. "We should probably tell the others about this, though. They’ll want to know immediately."

        Luhan and Kyungsoo agreed, then the three teenagers headed down to the basement to inform the others of the fateful event that’d just occurred.

 

 

 

 

 

        Kris was in the middle of what had quickly become his daily practice routine when Jongin came running down the stairs alongside Luhan and Kyungsoo. Their footfalls, which easily resembled a herd of elephants, were enough to throw away what meager concentration they all had, and Kris found himself drenched in water as soon as the parade of stomping began. Joonmyun made an audible gasping sound as it happened, which was enough to tell Kris that it hadn’t been done on purpose. Either way, he was soaking wet now, but whatever the other half of their group had to say was deemed more important the moment they laid eyes on the expressions the three others shared.  

        Kyungsoo immediately jumped into conversation without so much as a ‘hello’, but it was soon explained as to why. The poor boy sounded completely out of breath, and his voice had a rough edge to it, but he didn't pause for a break as he quickly spoke of what had apparently just happened to him outside. The only thing he did do, was take a seat while he was giving his explanation. They all followed by sitting on the cement floor, the others avoiding the wet spots surrounding Kris to form a shape close to a circle. All the while, Kyungsoo’s story went on. When he finally finished, Chanyeol and Joonmyun immediately shared a knowing look with each other. Kris was confused about its meaning until Joonmyun spoke up.

        "It happened to us, too. When we first came here." After a pause for the shock to show on their faces, Joonmyun went on. “They were right outside our houses, and I wouldn’t have realized Chanyeol was like me, otherwise. They sought us out right to our own homes.”

        "We had no choice but to fight back." Chanyeol continued on. "We still have no idea how they found out about our powers, and the fact that they had enough information to get our locations, too, is just as horrifying." The taller teen held open his mouth like there was more he wanted to say, but he instead closed it, a frown replacing his usual smile.

        The group remained silent for a while, then Luhan's small voice broke in quietly to word the question filtering through each of their minds. "What are we going to do?"

        Again, silence.

        "Do you think they know our faces?" Kyungsoo wondered aloud, not exactly replying to Luhan's question.

        "What if it's our names?" Joonmyun brought up next, but he only got the same silence in reponse.

        All of their questions were going unanswered, and a small hand made its way to Kris' arm.

        "What do you think?" Luhan's voice was soft, sounding almost frightened, but Kris couldn't answer. He couldn’t assure anyone of anything, and not even an empty promise came to mind. He didn't want any of this to be happening, and things just kept getting worse with each day that passed.

        If only he hadn't been out of the house that afternoon. If only he had skipped school, faking sickness like he had originally wanted to. If only he hadn’t left China, where he would’ve been away from the friends he now put in danger.

        Why...... Just why......did he even have to be born?

        "Ow! Kris!"

        The taller teen snapped out of his dark thoughts when he heard Luhan's yelp. The light haired teen was holding his right hand close to his chest, a pained expression on his face. The others were staring at Kris in pure shock, but he didn't have a single clue as to why.

        "What?"

        "Are you okay?" Joonmyun asked him, leaning forward with such plain worry on his face, that it confused Kris until he spoke again. "You almost burned Luhan."

        Kris didn't know how to respond to that, and he could only stare between Luhan’s hand and his own arm. He was still soaking wet, but there were dry patches appearing on his shirt. Without the ability to produce a flame, his skin must’ve rose in temperature instead. It would explain things if Luhan had been touching him when it happened and he rubbed his hands over his face with a soft groan.

        "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..."

        "I mean; I’ll be okay… But do you have any thoughts on this?"

        Kris shook his head, and Luhan spoke up again, this time to them all.

        "We can't hide here forever. We need food and money to survive in a world like this."

        "But we don't know how they can tell us apart from everyone else." Chanyeol reminded him. "Do you expect me to change my name and disguise myself as a girl just to take out the trash?"

        Despite the fact that it was said out of a jumble of frustration and other complicated emotions, Joonmyun began to nod his head slowly. "Actually... That's not a bad idea." "We don't need to cross-dress, but simple sunglasses would work, right?" Luhan added, a small, hopeful smile on his face as the idea blossomed in their heads.

        "I call changing my name first!" Jongin yelled, throwing his arm into the air. "I'm Kai!"

        With that, the previously darkened mood was dispersed to be replaced by a sense of hope. Of course, they couldn’t be sure that it would work, but it was worth a try, so they went around the circle to share their chosen names.

        After Jongin—or Kai’s—new decision, Kyungsoo wished to simply be called D.O. Chanyeol decided to keep his own name, along with Luhan, and then Joonmyun chose to be known as Suho. That only left Kris for his turn, which he approached wearily.

        "I'll stay as Kris."

        "What's with you guys and not changing your names?" The newly named Kai asked, disproval and what seemed to be annoyance leaking into his words. "Did you not get the whole message that it's safer this way?"

        Luhan and Chanyeol didn't respond in any way, but Kris looked down guiltily. "Kris isn't actually my real name..."

        "Wow, what a wonderful friend you are." Kai grumbled sarcastically. "So what's your real name?"

        "Yifan, but please, just call me Kris."

        "Okay, so we'll use our other names in public." Joonmyun concluded with a small smile. "Unless you prefer your new nickname, that is.” He added with a pointed look at Jongin. “Let's hope this helps."

        The others nodded in a collective agreement and mutual hope.  They looked happy after their discussion, but unlike the others, Kris' mind wasn’t quite freed from his troubled thoughts.

 

 

 

 

 


    I want to say that I know Kris' powers don't have anything to do with fire, but there is a method to my madness. You'll see later how it fits into the story. :3 enjoy the rest of your days. 


>>There's actually a transition into Kaisoo now, guys... ;~; I'm glad I fixed these first five chapters up, cuz oh my god, were they bad. (Honestly they still kind of are but I've fixed pretty much all that I can for now) I hope that if you're re-reading it, or going at it for the first time, that it sounds good so far~! Despite the fact that this story is completed, save for the sequel, I still love to hear from you in comments~ >3<