Chapter 12

Black Pearl

Edited; Re-uploaded

------------------------------------------

 

          Joonmyun paced back and forth in front of the large front doors of his home, yawning every so often. It was close to midnight and there was no sign of Luhan. He and the others had called and texted several times throughout the afternoon, but there wasn't a single reply. Joonmyun wasn't the only one worrying now, and he told himself he wouldn’t go to sleep until Luhan's return. Assuming he’d return that night, that is.

          He moved to one of the windows on either side of the wide wood doors, pushing aside the curtains so he could look outside. It was pitch black out and rain tapped harshly against the windows. Not a single thing could be seen.

          Groaning, Joonmyun turned, grabbing his coat off the nearby coat rack. He couldn't just sit and wait, anymore. Luhan could be out of town for all he knew, but something told him he was still close by. As he reached to open the door, he heard a voice behind him.

          "Where are you going?"

          Turning around, Joonmyun saw Minseok standing at the bottom of the stairs. His hand stayed on the doorknob as he answered.

          "I need to find Luhan."

          "Don't you think it's too late now?"

          Joonmyun was shocked to hear Minseok say such a thing, of all people.

          "What if something happened to him? He might need our help!

          "Luhan is a big boy, Joonmyun. He can take care of himself." Minseok waved his hand toward the front doors. "What are you going to be able to do out there, anyway? It's raining and too dark to see your own feet."

          Joonmyun groaned in frustration, resisting the urge to stomp his foot like a child. Minseok left his spot by the stairs and moved to stand beside Joonmyun, putting a hand on his shoulder.

          "We're all worried, but there's nothing we can do."

          He spoke gently and Joonmyun suddenly found himself confessing, telling the older everything that’d happened.

          "It's all my fault. He left because I yelled at him." Joonmyun finished, his fingers tightening around the doorknob. "That's why I have to find him."

          Before Minseok could say anything else, he turned the knob and swung the door open, surprised to see Luhan, in the flesh, standing in the way, his hand out as if he was about to open the door himself. Another boy was with him and Joonmyun's mouth fell open at the sight of them.

          Both teens were drenched and covered in mud. They were visibly shivering, and Joonmyun couldn't help but notice they were holding hands. When he looked at Luhan's face, the older teen looked down, avoiding his gaze. Joonmyun opened his mouth to apologize, but Minseok pushed past him before he could utter a word.

          "Hurry inside, Luhan. We need to get you two warmed up."

          With a tiny nod, Luhan followed Minseok, his friend in tow. They sat themselves at the bottom of the stairs and Minseok turned to Joonmyun.

          "Get them dry."

          After that simple order, he ran up the stairs. Joonmyun was left to stare at Luhan and his friend, an awkward silence between them. After a few more moments, Luhan spoke.

          "You can trust Sehun."

          Sehun... The name sounded familiar, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

          "Stop! I'm not even talking to a girl! You don't know Sehun! If I told him, I bet he'd understand!"

          Joonmyun remembered in a flash. He was the one Luhan had been texting. He looked Sehun up and down, immediately finding his hair coloring to be odd, but he ignored it and decided to trust Luhan with this.

          A little hesitantly, he lifted his hands and used his powers to remove the water from their clothes and hair. He then forced the water to evaporate into the air, watching as Luhan and Sehun shivered less noticeably.

          Minseok soon returned with a sleepy Chanyeol and Yixing, then he continued on into the kitchen. Yixing carried two blankets, which he put around Luhan and Sehun, and Chanyeol started a fire in his hands to warm them up.

          Joonmyun was surprised to see that Sehun didn't look shocked at all. He made it look like what he was seeing was completely normal. Could he also...

          "Are you guys hurt anywhere?"

          Yixing's concern-filled voice prevented Joonmyun from finishing his own thought. Luhan and Sehun were both shaking their heads in reply to his question, but Yixing grabbed onto Luhan's wrist, making him flinch.

          "I can feel your pain, Luhan. Don't lie."

          The older teen's face turned pink and he let Yixing take his hand. Joonmyun watched as Yixing placed his hand over Luhan's, remembering the feeling those same hands gave him when they first met, and after a few seconds Yixing stepped away, rubbing his own wrist.

          "All done."

          Like Yixing, Chanyeol also decided his job was done and the two retreated upstairs. Minseok once again returned, handing Luhan and Sehun a cup of tea each.

          "Let's move to the living room to talk." He said, smiling, before leading the way.

          Silently, they all did as Minseok said, Joonmyun hanging up his coat again on the way. They took seats on adjacent couches—Luhan with Sehun and Joonmyun with Minseok. They were barely situated when Joonmyun finally opened his mouth.

          "Luhan, I'm sorry!" He blurted out.

          Again, Luhan avoided looking him in the eye.

          "It's fine. I just got mad at myself because I knew you were right." He replied quietly. "It's really okay now. Sehun has powers, too."

          "Still... I shouldn't have yelled at you like I did." Joonmyun didn’t think Luhan should be, or would be, fine. He hadn’t expected him to be forgiving, in the least.

          "I understand, Joonmyun. I ran away like a child and I realize now that I made you all worry. I'm the one who should apologize." Luhan smiled and looked at Sehun. "I'm still glad, though. I wouldn't have found out about Sehun's powers if I had stayed here."

          "Right, so what is your power?" Minseok asked Sehun, joining the conversation.

          "Air." He answered simply, though he hesitated before speaking again. "And there's something else..."

          By the look on Luhan's face, Joonmyun could see that even he didn't know what else Sehun had to say, and he gave Sehun's hand a barely noticeable squeeze.

          "I don't know why... But my hair changes color..." Sehun finally said, biting his lip. "I've tried dying it, but it only lasts a few minutes before changing back."

          "I knew it!" Luhan practically yelled, grinning. "You said you got a bad haircut, but I had a feeling that's not why you always had a hat on!"

          "Sorry... I had to lie to you then..." Sehun said apologetically, though Luhan shook his head.

          "I've had to lie to you, too, but now there's no need."

          "Well!" Minseok interrupted. "Now that you all made up, we should go to sleep. It's late."

          At that, Luhan jumped up a little too quickly. "Sehun can sleep in my room!"

          With a grin plastered on his face, Luhan pulled Sehun to his feet and ran out of the room, leaving Joonmyun and Minseok one their own.

          “Should we allow those two to be alone?" Joonmyun asked after a few minutes, earning a soft chuckle from Minseok.

          "I don't think it will hurt." He replied. "I can tell with one glance that they're in love, but they'd be stupid to try anything this soon."

          That made Joonmyun laugh as he nodded in agreement. "You’re right."

 

 

 

 

 

 

          Luhan's cheeks hurt from smiling when he woke up, but he still couldn't stop another grin from forming when he saw Sehun lying beside him—technically they were on separate beds, but they were pushed together so they might as well have been one. Their hands were still connected, not having separated since the rainy incident the night before, and Luhan brought his free hand to move hair away from Sehun's sleeping face. It was a yellow-blonde color, unlike the night before, though the pink tips still remained. He wondered what that meant and how many other colors it turned to. With a smirk, Luhan hatched several quick plans to test Sehun's emotions in his head.

          "What are you smirking at?"

          At the sound of Sehun's sleepy voice, Luhan blinked, removing the hand that he had kept on his hair. He’d been caught staring.

          "Morning Sleeping Beauty."

          "Who are you calling Sleeping Beauty? You look like you just woke up yourself." Sehun ended his sentence with a yawn, which Luhan internally found to look extremely adorable. He wasn't really used to all these feelings he had for the younger teen. He'd unconsciously fallen for him until just a few days earlier, when his feelings decided to randomly jump out of hiding, and all the thoughts he kept getting made him feel a little... weird. He had never really spent time looking at someone until he met Sehun, and now all he could think about was their individual appearances. It was a sudden change, so maybe it just needed time?

          Shrugging his thoughts away, Luhan answered Sehun's question. "I've been up for a few minutes, but you woke up second, so you're Sleeping Beauty."

          Moving onto his back, Sehun rubbed his eyes. "But you’re the beauty here..."

          Blushing, Luhan sat up, his hand slipping out of Sehun's. Unable to respond properly, he decided to leave the embarrassing conversation, but before he could get far, a hand pulled him back down. He fell back onto the mattress, where Sehun grabbed him with open arms, bringing him into a tight embrace.

          "Sehun, I need to get up and take a shower." Luhan said, trying to pull back, but Sehun only tightened his grip.

          "Let's stay like this for a little bit."

          "Have you always been this clingy?" Luhan asked, only half-joking. "It hasn't even been a day."

          "I just...I didn't think I'd ever be able to be like this with you...” Sehun murmured, causing Luhan’s heart to skip over a beat. “I really, really like you... I want to stay with you as long as I can, so can't we just savor the moments like this? Just in case something happens."

          "Nothing's going to happen." Luhan told him, squeezing his shoulder lightly. "We can take things slowly. I don't plan on leaving any time soon—well, never, really."

          As Sehun's grip loosened, Luhan pulled back, pink dusting his cheeks as he placed a quick, daring kiss on Sehun's lips. Without seeing his reaction, Luhan fled into the bathroom for his morning shower.

 

 

 

 

 

 

          It was just after seven, and Baekhyun was walking out of the hallway that led to the dining room and kitchen, a sandwich in hand. He headed over to the stairs and heard descending footsteps as he moved to take a step forward.

          "Good afternoon Baekhyun~"

          Looking up, he spotted Luhan along with an unfamiliar face. He swallowed the food in his mouth before replying. "It's the evening."

          "Same thing." Luhan said, coming to a stop next to Baekhyun. He gestured to the person beside him as he continued. "Oh! Meet Sehun. He's my, uh—"

          "Boyfriend." The freshly introduced Sehun interrupted Luhan, his face straight, expression unreadable. "I'm Luhan's boyfriend."

          Baekhyun glanced at Luhan, whose red face revealed that the sudden information was true. "Well this is unexpected. I didn't know you swung that way, Luhan, though I shouldn't be surprised."

          "What's that supposed to mean?" Luhan asked, pouting cutely—and Baekhyun didn't miss the small smile on Sehun's face.

          Taking another bite of his sandwich, Baekhyun shrugged. "Doesn't really mean anything...but if everyone in this house turns out to be gay, I knew it."

          Luhan's pout shifted into a smile. "So are you—".

          The teen was interrupted once more, but this time it was from loud, impatient knocking on the front doors behind them.

          Furrowing his brows slightly, Baekhyun headed over to the door. He opened it slowly, almost dropping his dinner at the familiar face he saw.

          "Ren!?"

          "Took you long enough to open the door. Oh, you made me food as a welcome, didn't you?" Ren stepped inside, taking Baekhyun's sandwich and ignoring the shocked teen. He took a large bite as he looked around, speaking again with his mouth full. "This place is a dump. How have you survived here for almost two months?"

          "Wait, what are you doing here?" Baekhyun asked him, shutting the door. "How and why are you here?"

          "I know some people." Ren answered simply, turning to Luhan and Sehun. "Did it take you two long enough to figure each other out? Jeez, I've been waiting to comes get you guys for ages."

          "Ren, answer my questions."

          "Do you...know each other?" Luhan asked slowly, his gaze shifting between Baekhyun and Ren, who put his free arm around Baekhyun's waist.

          "We're only best friends."

          Luhan looked like he was going to question that, but Baekhyun swiftly removed Ren's arm, pulling him away to the empty kitchen.

          "Hey, treat others the way you want to be treated, and that means no man-handling."

          He let go of Ren's arm and stood with his hands on his hips while the other opened the fridge.

          "Tell me what you're doing here, Ren." He ordered, growing impatient with his long-time friend. He isn't supposed to be here!

          Reaching into the fridge, Ren took out a can of coke, opening it to take a long drink. When he was done, he looked Baekhyun up and down.

          "What got your in a twist? On your period or something?" After a few minutes of Baekhyun half-glaring at him, Ren sighed and sat down on a kitchen stool. "Fine, I'll explain."

          With a small nod, Baekhyun also took a seat, taking back what was left of his sandwich as Ren began talking.

          "I know you’re wondering why I'm here, but it's kind of long and I'm not really allowed to give you the details, so just deal with it. As a starter, I've known about your powers since you first got them, and before you ask, I have some, too. You'll figure out what they are eventually, and don’t worry, I’m not mad that you didn’t tell me about yours. “Ren gave a small, reassuring smile before it shifted back to a frown. “Anyway, Kris' slip up a month ago was foreseen by my boss a long time ago, so we've been busy preparing for a while now, but because of that incident, our enemies know of us being here and—"

          "Wait—enemies? What are you preparing for? Does your boss see into the future?" The questions spilled out of Baekhyun's mouth, even though he knew that Ren didn't enjoy getting interrupted—he'd rather do the interrupting.

          "As I was saying..." Ren continued through clenched teeth, "They know we're here and we have something they want. They're prepared to do anything to get it, and my boss needs your help. I'm here to take you back with me so you can begin your training."

          "Okay, wait. So we have enemies?" Baekhyun asked, seeing that Ren was done speaking.

          "Of course. Who doesn't?"

          "What exactly do they want? How far are they willing to go to get it?"

          "What they want, I can't tell you, but I know they'd start a war if they have to."

          Baekhyun choked on his sandwich, pounding on his chest as if to help the food go down. "War!?"

          Ren nodded and Baekhyun thought long and hard before speaking again.

          "So, who is this boss of yours? You said he needs our help. Does this mean he wants to train us to fight a war? We're only teenagers."

          "Sorry, you'll have to see him yourself to learn his name." Ren answered. "And just think of it all as self-defense training."

          Baekhyun put his elbows on the kitchen counter, resting his chin on his linked fingers as he let everything sink in. He trusted Ren, but everything he just explained made no sense. It was crazy. Insane. Who could their enemies be? Are they really strong enough to start a war? Why do they all have to get involved, in the first place?

          "We have to talk with the others." He said after a few more moments, making Ren whine.

          "Do I have to?"

          "Yes." Baekhyun answered, standing up. "You know more than I do about this situation."

          He led Ren out of the room and they began walking upstairs when there was a sudden hammering on the front doors again. Seconds later, there was a loud splintering sound as the wood shattered, revealing a collection of people dressed in all black at the doorstep.

          Baekhyun and Ren's eyes met in an instant, both pairs wide as Ren yelled "They're here early!"