Hello …

Journey of love

Chapter 20

Hello …

 

Suddenly the doors opened … Seung Jo removed his mask … His face looks tired … he was holding someone.

 

“Hyun Joong, I would like to introduce you to your … Son.” Seung Jo smiled and turned over the sleeping baby boy to Hyun Joong’s arms.

Hyun Joong has tears in his eyes as he cradled for the first time his own flesh and blood. He understood now the meaning of unconditional love. He said “ Hello there buddy, your mom and I waited for you for so long, my son!”

 

Hyun joong turned back his attention to Seung Jo and asked … “How’s So Min? Is she ok?”

 

Seung Jo sighed … “So Min received massive trauma in her head and although the mass in her head surprisingly is gone, the next 24 hours will be difficult to tell… We did a C-section to bring out your Son right away. He gave one loud cry when he came out. So Min opened her eyes when she heard this and smiled but soon fell into a coma right after. Her vitals and heart are stable. So Min’s case even back then when she was 18 was a medical mystery which we never solved. Her Tumours which causes massive head trauma and pain can just disappear right as quickly as it came. The difference was she was undergoing treatments then but this time … we are unsure of the outcome. She will be transferred shortly to the ICU and you can go see her. Hang in there Hyun Joong… and for all our sake we hope she pulls through.”

 

Hyun Joong’s face was stone blank but his eyes is full of pain… He feels hopeless… How can he survive without So Min. She needs to wake up …she needs to see her Son. She fought so hard and suffered so much pain to deserve this. Hyun Joong shoulder shook as he started crying.

 

Shortly after ,Oh Hani came out and went to Hyun Joong.

“You can see her now Hyun Joong. Be strong ok for your Son’s sake.”

 

Hyun Joong entered the room and saw So Min lying motionless. He grabbed her hand and kissed it.

“ Ya! You better wake up So Min! Our son needs a name. If you don’t wake up I will name him something ugly or even my ex-girlfriends name…what do you think?”

No response, no movement.

“So Min, my darling, please wake up.I love you so much. I cant live without you. Please … I need you … huhuhu … You said we will get through this right … if you can hear me , just squeeze my hand. It will be alright love. Come back to me So Min …”

 

Hyun Joong talked to his wife the whole night. He told her how he felt the first time they met, how jealous he became when he thought he was falling for Kim Bum, he told her when he realized he loved her , he told her how y he thinks she looked even when she was growing bigger with his child. He went on and on. Hoping So Min can hear him and come back to him …

 

Few Days after …

Everyone who loved So Min went and visit So Min. No change on her condition for the last 2 days. Despite their family’s wealth and influence, Doctors from all over the world came to treat her… So Min’s medical history and case is unique.

 

Kim Bum went in the room and found Hyun Joong holding his wife’s hand.  He heaved a sigh for what he was about to do …

“Hyun Joong, I am not sure if this is the right time to tell you … but So Min talked to me few months ago … and she wanted to you to have this.” Seung Jo held a DVD CD. “ She she told me to give this to you if anything like this happened. Why don’t you go hom first. Grab a bite or something. I also spoke to Seung Jo and you can watch it in his office if you must.”

 

Hyun Joong looked up, dark circles form his eyes. He looked pale. He refused to eat out and leave the hospital cause he does not want to miss it if So Min opens her eyes.

 

Kim Bum looked at him not surprised at all. Hyun Joong looked like this when he found out the So Min left the country after her debut. But his friend looks much worse now.

 

“Kim Bum, thank you for giving this to me. I… I am not ready. So Min will wake up, right? She is a very determined lady. She would want to see her child grow up… she promised to stay with me until we are both old and grey. She was the worst driver ever , and after much teaching , she soon got it right. She never gave up even when we were in college, she would scold me for not doing our projects but she never gave up. She never gave up on me… So how can you ask me to even leave my wife when she needs me the most. I will not give up on her nor will I leave her side. Leave the CD there, I will watch it …”

 

Kim Bum said “Hyun Joong, you know I love you like a brother and So Min like my sister. She told me you would be like this … and … she insisted that you watch it. It pains me to see you like this … So Min will be ok … she has to be.”

 

Hyun Joong looked at Kim Bum … “ No, I will not watch it. If I watch that it means I gave up … and my wife … my wife … will never ..” he couldn’t continue what he was about to say.

 

“So Min, has a reason for giving this to you Hyun Joong. Please do this for her.” Kim Bum pleadingly said. He was worried about Hyun Joong as well.

 

“Leave it Kim Bum. Let me be.” Hyun Joong turned around and looked at his So Min with tears in his eyes. So Min laid there motionless.

 

In Seung Jo’s office …

 

“ Doctor Baek, Mr.Kim So Min’s condition is not changing. Unlike before when this happened she woke up 1 day after. If she remains to be like this within the next few days, if and when she does wake up after she could be a vegetable.” One of the doctors discussed this.  (Permanent vegetative state is a medical term. Patients who survive catastrophic brain damage may be left permanently unaware in the permanent vegetative state. It is generally accepted that recovery from the vegetative state rarely occurs. Patients have irreversible loss of brain function as indicated by a persistent flat electroencephalogram)

 

“We have to inform her family… you know how the procedure goes… right Dr.Baek. We know this is hard for you cause you are their good friend and family.” One of the doctors said. All the world class doctors were gathered to discuss the condition of So Min.

 

Little did they know Hyun Joong was in the door and heard everything they had to say.

 

When their meeting was over. Hyun Joong stepped inside.

 

“Seung Jo, I have to watch something. Can I stay here in your office?” Hyun Joong was holding on to the CD …

 

Seung Jo knows what Hyun Joong means… he feels sorry for his friend and wished there is something more he can do … He simply nodded and left the office so Hyun Joong can have his moment  and to watch the video privately.

 

Hyun Joong pressed play … tears formed his eyes as he watched … he was laughing at what he saw, he became embarrassed and angry, he laughed again and then he started to cry… he sobbed until there is nothing left and he was drained. After much time, he stood up and left the room … for the first time after So Min gave birth … he went home.